Author Topic: Columbia Boots?  (Read 11363 times)

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Columbia Boots?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 05, 2012, 01:13 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=227532.msg2280327#msg2280327

Use the search link at the top of the page and type in  Micky Mouse boots.

These boots are incredibly insulated they have a wool liner (Not a removable) They're a little heavy.  And by far the best boots around for ice fishing
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 13, 2012, 08:48 PM »
The Mickeys are a little cumbersome but very warm with just a thin sock. Don't sweat much, waterproof, I've never been cold in Mickeys. Must wear high socks, long johns, or tuck your pants into the boot or the tongue will rub your shins raw after a day of walking. Mine are 20+ years old and are starting to dry rot/crack. Don't get a cheap knockoff, get the BATA brand.
I'm certain Baffin, Muck, etc... are great boots that stay warm and dry and are probably more comfy than the Mickeys.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #32 on: Nov 14, 2012, 01:07 AM »
I like that I can take out and replace the liners should I need to with my Baffins, my feet sweat allot (in anything I wear) and I like to be able to take the liner out to dry.

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Cabelas Predator Extreme or Trans-Alaskans...Very lightweight (bulky though), and incredibly warm.  The secret is there is two inches of sole/insulation/liner between your foot and the ice.  I own some Mickey Mouse BATA boots too...they are pretty warm too, but very, very heavy by comparison.

Jordy, I bought the Inferno boots on sale for my son because they didn't have the Predators in his size, and his feet stayed nice and warm...but for an extra 10 or 20 bucks, if I were you I'd get the Preds.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #34 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:23 PM »
check out the muck artic sports- black neoprene.
i love mine
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2013, 03:27 AM »
Just curious what you all are wearing for boots.  I have some 1000 gram boots that are getting old and I need to replace them, but was wondering if anyone uses boots with less insulation for mobility.
MT

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #36 on: Oct 17, 2013, 05:01 AM »
Lots of great posts about boots on this site, but most don't take into account the size of the man or woman wearing them. They call it, everyone's feet are different! Larger or heavier fisherman need more support, smaller, need the warmth and can use pack boots without breaking them down. So be careful choosing a boot that someone says is the GREATEST, when in fact he rides to his spot on a sled or 4wheeler. You may be planning on walking to your spot a mile out? My point is, buy a boot that suits you and your fishing style.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 17, 2013, 07:14 AM »
mtjohn, I use the Muck Boot Arctic Sport if I'm going to be running around and moving quite a bit. The feet tend to get cold if I sit too long in them. If I'm going to be sitting a while I have two different pairs of pac boots, one a lighter cheaper set and one big heavy set of White's that I usually only use for really long sits in really cold weather, both have removable liners. I use the cheap ice spikes from wal mart that stretch over and they work fine for me on Clark Canyon even when the wind is blowing the icehouse down the glass ice. The muck boots are my go to's but I always have one of the other pacs in the pickup or sled for a quick change if the toes start feeling like ghosts.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 17, 2013, 08:16 AM »
x2 on the mucks... I love mine.  Not as heavy as packs when we're running tip ups and knowing you're water proof to your knee is nice if you step on a bad shore.
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Oct 17, 2013, 09:06 AM »
I used to wear a Redhead (bassproshop brand) packboot with about 1000 gram thinsulate on it and they were always getting stiff and frozen and the laces would get balls of ice on them and wouldn't keep my feet very warm.

Last year after doing considerable research and reading forums so as what you are doing right now I decided to convert to a rubber insulated boot to prevent ice form on my boots and so I wouldn't have to tie them  ;D

I ended up getting these:
http://www.amazon.com/LaCrosse-18-Alpha-SST-Hunting/dp/B002OSXDRS

I couldn't have been more happier, it was well worth my money, they slip on easy, they are very warm (2000 gram thinsulate), and seem so far to be very durable.  this would be my recommendation.

add: after reading more posts I felt like adding more, I am a mobile ice fisherman so I would preface that these boots are a little heavier due to the fact that they are so insulated and they run a little small so I had to get a bigger size.  I wouldn't say though that while I was moving around that I ever regretted my decision.  I will probably buy this same exact pair when these blow out because I love them so much.

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Oct 27, 2013, 12:21 PM »
Hello everyone.  Went walking through a store last week and noticed a pair of Under Armour Siberia boots 10" and water proof for 99 bucks. Usually go for 200+. 800 grams.Did some looking around and find a site or forum to see if anyone bought these and work great or the hated them . The price is great but don't want to pull the trigger unless I hear something good . Thanks. .Ed Rod.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 27, 2013, 12:31 PM »
Cabelas Trans Alaska III for me. Just bought them this year.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Oct 27, 2013, 02:16 PM »
Muck Boots:
Professional Extreme-Conditions Sport Boot
All the standard MUCK BOOT™ features plus:
•   Fleece lining
•   Stretch-fit topline binding snugs leg to keep warmth in and cold out
•   8mm CR flex-foam bootie with four-way stretch nylon, 100% waterproof, lightweight and flexible
•   Bob-tracker molded outsole is rugged, aggressive and durable for maximum protection and stability
•   Double reinforcements on the instep, heel and achilles areas
•   2mm thermal foam underlay added to the instep area for additional warmth
•   EVA molded midsole with contoured footbed
•   Reinforced toe
•   Added toe protection with a wrap-up bumper
•   Comfort range of -60° F to 40°F 

Mickey Mouse Boots:

World-renowned "Mickey Boots" are 100% rubber with thick wool insulation all around.Add in an insulating air pocket, all sandwiched between the layers of rubber.
Presto! Warmth rated to -20°F! Rugged nylon laces go through the second eyelet twice to lock your foot in place. Gusseted tongue, heel wedge accepts ski or snowshoe bindings.
The interior is nylon lined for easy on / off. High-traction soles and heels, and double-thick rubber in all wear areas. Built-in altitude air valve pressurizes the Boot when our troops are airborne. It's a handy feature... if you parachute in to watch penguins. Each approx. 11 1/2"h., 53 ozs. Condition: brand new, army surplus, never issued.

LaCrosse® 18" Burly® Rubber Boots

The 100% waterproof, ozone-resistant rubber construction is proven to be reliable in demanding environments. Nylon-net lining with AgION™ antimicrobial protection. Removable EVA footbed. Fiberglass shank. Contoured ankle-fit design. Cam-Loc™ buckle adjustment accommodates all calf sizes and keeps moisture out. Polymeric Foam Insulation. Air-grip outsole. Imported.
Height: 18".
Average weight: 5.3 lbs./pair.

Cabela's Trans-Alaska™ III Pac Boot

From the Iditarod trail to the treestand, these boots have proven they are true cold-weather performers. A 13mm Texel® removable liner reflects heat inward to minimize loss. Beneath that, the Moisture Trap footbed wicks away perspiration and condensation. A 1/2" layer of EVA foam, coupled with the nylon-covered Phylon midsole, puts 3" of cold-blocking material between your feet and the ground. The tough, flexible vamps are protected by a triple-layer, abrasion-resistant toe guard, and the rubber toe cap ensures longer wear. These boots have a reflective, lightweight waterproof shell with lightweight, reflective nylon shafts. Radiantex™ reflective coating. The 8" liner allows for pants inside the boots, and the rip-stop nylon gaiter has a cord-locked drawcord to keep out snow. They're easy to tighten, thanks to a one-pull ball bearing lacing system. Inside, a heat pack pocket allows you to insert toe warmer heat packs.
Height: 15".
Average weight: 5.8 lbs./pair.

Baffin Impact:

RATING -100°C/-148°F
BASE Integrated Arctic Flex rubber base
INSOLE Waffle sole and reflective “air bubble” underfoot
OUTSOLE Premium polar rubber
LINER 8-layer inner boot system with Thermaplush
UPPERS Timberwolf leather and Diamond-Lite insulated nylon

Sorel Glacier:

This durable, weather-defying boot is perfect for keeping feet warm, dry and protected in deep snow and extreme cold; in addition to a waterproof rubber shell, it features a water and wind resistant upper, built-in gaiter and removable 13mm ThermoPlus™ felt inner boot.
Construction:
Durable water and wind resistant PU backed synthetic textile upper
Built-in gaiter with barrel lock closure system
Removable 13mm ThermoPlus™ felt InnerBoot
25mm bonded felt frost plug
Removable 13mm Sorel Meltdown Midsole™
Handcrafted waterproof vulcanized rubber shell
Sorel AeroTrac™ non-loading outsole
Shaft Height: 16 in / 40.6 cm
Weight: 42 oz / 1191 g
Sorel rated: -100° fahrenheit / -73° celsius
Imported
Fabric:
UPPER
PU backed synthetic textile
LINING
13mm Thermoplus felt
MIDSOLE
13mm Sorel Meltdown Midsole
SHELL
Vulcanized rubber
OUTSOLE
Sorel AeroTrac

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Oct 29, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Buy Cabellas, Lifetime warranty....
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Oct 29, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Buy Cabellas, Lifetime warranty....
That's what I did after reading your post. Thanks BaitBucket. Plus the boots are awesome!

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 04, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Got a pair of Baffin boats two years ago there great. Keep my feet very warm and there also light weight.
Would highly recommend them to anyone.

smitty :tipup:

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 04, 2013, 10:04 AM »
Muck Boots are my personal fav. After 6 years of hunting and fishing with them i retired my 1st pair and purchased my 2ND!
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Nov 07, 2013, 05:42 AM »
Normally I wouldnt have looked at Columbia for Ive Fishing boots. But I have got an opportunity to pick up a pair for very cheap.

The Pair im looking at is the Bugaboot Plus II XTM
http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Bugaboot%E2%84%A2-Plus-II-XTM-Omni-Heat%C2%AE/BM3781,default,pd.html

Anyone use these out on the ice?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Nov 07, 2013, 06:01 AM »
Did some digging and found this.

Guess you should avoid Columbia boots for ice fishing.

http://blog.trolettiphoto.com/columbias-mens-bugaboot-plus-xtm-omni-heat-winter-boot-review/

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 07, 2013, 11:32 AM »
Normally I wouldnt have looked at Columbia for Ive Fishing boots. But I have got an opportunity to pick up a pair for very cheap.

Cheap boot are just that! CHEAP BOOTS     

Unless you know how they work from having the same kind before.

Remember, When your feet are cold, you can't put two pairs of cheap boots on at the same time.

Believe me I have wanted too!

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 07, 2013, 11:56 AM »
I have an older pair of their titanium boots and they were great the first 2 years, then the seams where the rubber meets the fabric came unglued. Sad because they were great for shoveling snow,snoblowing, and winter beaters. I got those for $40 on clearance, definitely worth the money but I would not recommend for extremely cold conditions. I had to use a mat to put my feet on because they would get cold after 4 or 5 hrs on the ice. Hope this help!

-Sixxer
"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Nov 07, 2013, 01:28 PM »
I bet your feet were cold before the 4 or 5 hours. You were just tough enough to last that long!

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 07, 2013, 02:06 PM »
You're right! ;D  After switching to some Cabela's Alaknak boots with 3"+ barrier my feet never get cold no matter how long I'm out there!
"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Nov 07, 2013, 03:05 PM »

Cheap boot are just that! CHEAP BOOTS     

These Columbia boots arent cheap. Unless $150/pair is cheap.

I ended up getting the Maine Pac Boot from LL Bean.
It was between that and the Muck Artics. But from reviews I read the mucks didnt appear as warm and durable.
I read alot of reports of the mucks being very slippery on smooth wet surfaces and the quality going down hill the past couple years.
Altho i love the slip on and go aspect..

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 07, 2013, 03:22 PM »
$150 is definitely not what I would consider cheap! I really like my LaCrosse Alphas so far, but I'm only on my 2nd season with them.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Nov 07, 2013, 03:42 PM »
$150 is definitely not what I would consider cheap! I really like my LaCrosse Alphas so far, but I'm only on my 2nd season with them.

This will be my 3rd season in my Lacrosse Alphas and my feet have never been cold, even in foot deep slush. I have the 1200 gram Doc how about yourself?
John

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Nov 07, 2013, 06:20 PM »
My Bugaboo's are 8 years old and get worn all winter long for work and ice fishing, never been cold or wet in them.....

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 08, 2013, 05:03 AM »
I use Baffin Impacts. I use them to do the driveway(lots of walking)and short walks out onto the ice(1/2 mile or less). If I go farther I ride a 4 wheeler.

The longest I have stayed out on the ice is 29 hours without going back to shore. the temp was 16 degrees down to -1 during the time out there. All of the guys with me got cold toes. I will admit that even my toes noticed the cold but not like other boots I have owned. It was more like being in bed sleeping and the bottom covers were pulled up so your feat stuck out.
 A little adjusting and back to normal.

I suggest buying the best and baddest boots you can. Start saving now if you like spending time on the ice. All of the most fancy flashers or underwater cameras are useless if you have to go back to shore because your feet are cold.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:07 AM »
I suggest buying the best and baddest boots you can.

Thats why I went with the Maine Pac Boot from LL Bean

Even states they are made for Ice Fishing =)

Designed to closely replicate vintage pac boots originally used for ice fishing and late-winter hunting

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #59 on: Nov 08, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Plus a TRUE lifetime warranty!! And FREE SHIPPING!! You can't beat that!!!  :thumbsup: :clap: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.