Author Topic: Columbia Boots?  (Read 11354 times)

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Columbia Boots?
« on: Oct 25, 2012, 07:11 PM »
Could use opinions or advice.  I have a 10 year old pair of mousers that I thought I would fish in until I die.  They just aren't impressing me anymore.  Does anyone have a pair of fail proof boots?  I don't care about cost.  I rarely fish inside my trap unless its insanely cold or to windy to tightline.  So they need to be hardy.
Where's the ice

Offline Panfish Posse

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Columbia Boots?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2012, 07:18 PM »
I'm in Alaska and fish outside a fair amount down to about -15 or so.  I have Baffin Boots and i think my model are rated to -76 and my buddy has the same one only rated to -140.  Best and most comfortable footwear i have ever owned, can't recommend it any higher.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Don't have a pair, but would love to have them. is Cabela's Trans Alaskan's, won't get cold have removal liner, only problem is they take a little getting used to, they have 3 inches of insulation under your feet, probably not a very good boot if you like to chase tipups, maybe Sandbilly will chime in and give his thoughts on these, I know he has had more than one pair and wouldn't trade them for nothing.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2012, 07:22 PM »
Exactly which model do you have PP, I have looked at them and there are so many models, I can't figure out which ones I would want.

Offline icerules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2012, 08:47 PM »
I might be old school but I love my muck boots for fishing and have not had a problem at all
A day ice fishing is always better than a day at work

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2012, 08:57 PM »
hard to beat a good pair of pack boots

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2012, 09:12 PM »
$20 rubber boots from Tractor Supply and a few pair of wool socks does it for me... cheap, waterproof, and wool socks are a lot easier to clean than a pair of boots... add a pair of ice cleats and you'll be set

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2012, 09:23 PM »
I have a pair of boots that are dedicated hard water boots.

Irish setter Bog/muck type boots with hex-head screws.
Completely waterproof, 800 gram insulation, sever-slip, and surprisingly comfortable.
One pair of wool socks and I never have cold feet.

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2012, 10:03 PM »
I'm in Alaska and fish outside a fair amount down to about -15 or so.  I have Baffin Boots and i think my model are rated to -76 and my buddy has the same one only rated to -140.  Best and most comfortable footwear i have ever owned, can't recommend it any higher.

After bad luck with Bass pro Redhead  boots, I switched to Baffin and am happy I did as cold feet while ice fishing is not fun at all.

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2012, 10:08 PM »
Thanks for the insight everyone.  The Baffin boots have definitely caught my eye.  The polar series boots online are mostly rated at -148.  Is that gonna cook me alive in nebraska?  For anyone that has Baffin boots, what model would you recommend?
Where's the ice

Offline Wavemaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Baffin Titans are what I use in Ontario. Rated: -100C / -148F. I do not put my boots on until I am ready to go onto the ice or my feet will get too warm. I also do not have a permanent shelter to fish out of so my feet are always on the ice.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2012, 06:53 AM »
Don't have a pair, but would love to have them. is Cabela's Trans Alaskan's, won't get cold have removal liner, only problem is they take a little getting used to, they have 3 inches of insulation under your feet,

Does take some training but they are a great boot.

Bought my first pair of Trans Alaskan's after getting frost bite at the Pierce tourney the year your (eastwesterner) dad and Hank won it during a blizzard. Think it was 95 or 96. Anyway the day after the tourney I ordered boots and a shappell ice hut. Hut lasted 3 years in our wind. Boots would probably still be going except we fished in brutal conditions (3" of snow, 10" slush, before hitting ice @ - 37 windchill) in Osakis MN a few years ago. After tromping around in the slush all day in severe temps, ice separated leather from the rubber. New boots are exactly like the first pair and should last a couple of decades because I don't plan of fishing in those types of conditions ever again.  ;)

dc

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2012, 07:39 AM »
I have a pair of cabelas hunting boots with 2000 grams and have never had a problem

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2012, 08:02 AM »
I tried muck artic pros last year and work great for me if above 20°.  So I got a pair of Irish setter snow claw xt with zipper sides this fall.  They appear to be made very well and have 2000grams of ultra thinsulate.  I liked the mucks and not having to lace up so that's why I went with these in the zipper model.
]

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2012, 08:12 AM »
I have the cabelas Tranalasns for 3 years now and have not had cold feet since. They do take a little getting used too but they are deffinitly worth the $.
Bob P.

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2012, 09:14 AM »
I bought a pair of Lacrosse boots in the bargain cave eight years ago.  Dont know what they're rated to and really dont think that matters.  Is that rating actually regulated by anyone?  Doubt it.  They just tell you an impressive number to make theirs sound better than the next.  Anyway, my cheapo boots have always kept my feet warm, comfortable, and dry.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2012, 09:31 AM »
I have a pair of Schnee's Extreme boots that are rated to -40 and never got cold feet.  These boots have a three part liner, the bottom is insulated, a insulated inner sole, and then a bootie liner that goes all the way up the boot.  They have a website you can check them out on.  They run around $220 and the best part is if you wear out or get a hole in the rubber bottoms you can have them rebuilt.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Eastwest,  your feet wouldnt get cold if you didnt leave your boots in the back of the truck on a 6 hr drive in below zero temps and 30+ mph winds.  ;)

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2012, 10:54 AM »
i have used many differant kinds of boots over the last 30 years and my favs are sorels. the most important thing to look for is a little extra width and 1/2 to 1 size bigger than your foot. the extra space gives a little more space for socks and a lil space to keep the air warm. i dont fish in a hut and am out on the ice at least 4-5 times a week...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2012, 02:27 PM »
The biggest thing to remember is to NOT wear your boots on the drive out. I have an hour and half drive and if you wear your boots, your feet will sweat. And then you will have cold feet all day.

Just my $.02

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2012, 03:22 PM »
 I bought a pair of pack boots from the local farm supply. Been wearing them for about 5 or six years now and they serve just fine. I replaced the liners once because I somehow lost one. I wear my shoes to the lake, then put them on when I get there. I also use the 1/4" sheet metal screws for cleats.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Don't know if anybodys interested but the is a pair of Trans Alaskans on ebay right now 110$ for a pair of size 10s, barely used it says.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2012, 08:29 PM »
I got a $60 pair of pack boots from tractor supply. Seem to keep my feet plenty warm and dry. Im gonna cover them in shoe-goo this year just because and add screws to the bottom maybe
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Don't know if anybodys interested but the is a pair of Trans Alaskans on ebay right now 110$ for a pair of size 10s, barely used it says.
Thanks for the heads up.  Those would only fit if I cut off some toes.
Where's the ice

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2012, 06:14 AM »
Mine would have to grow a little bit.

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2012, 08:07 AM »
Go with Baffin - very light, waterproof and warm

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Has anyone used the Cabela's Inferno boots?? They're about $150 and have 2,000 grams of thinsulate. I wear a 14 and Cabela's has that size.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Pair of these with scratchers, you could never need more. Feet are always dry and warm ALWAYS!!! Bought mine on sale for less than $40.

http://www.baffin.com/product-p/85620000.htm

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2012, 01:51 PM »
Dollar for dollar I don't know how you can be a pair of Mickey boots the good bata ones.  20 to 40 bucks online with free shipping........ 100% waterproof and the 100% warm get 30 or so  sheet metal screws In the bottom. And you're ready to go.
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2012, 10:03 AM »
I've seen those Mickey Mouse boots and have heard good things about them,,,,actually, nothing bad about them.  But not much talk about them here in this thread.  Can someone tell me more about these boots.  They have no insulation right?  Bulky?  But people swear by them.  For the reasonable pricing on them, I think I may want to try them.  But after hearing nothing much about them in this thread, I'm leaning towards the Baffins.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.