Author Topic: Talk or Stay Away?  (Read 4599 times)

Offline Junior.

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Talk or Stay Away?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:41 PM »
I don't mind talking to people out on the ice.  One thing that did bug me last year was a couple times I had people come up to me and try to buy some of my stuff.  If my stuff was for sale I would have a sign on it.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #31 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:45 PM »
I don't mind talking to people out on the ice.  One thing that did bug me last year was a couple times I had people come up to me and try to buy some of my stuff.  If my stuff was for sale I would have a sign on it.

No kidding???? Never even heard of that!

What I hate is when they walk up to my shack and just open the door and ask "how's the fishing/ice?"......I tend to get a little un-neighborly at that point!

Offline eplindstrom

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If this boat is rocking you have a serious problem
« Reply #32 on: Oct 24, 2012, 12:11 AM »
If I'm going to initiate a conversation I try offer info, bait and depth that have been working or not working for me, coffee, or something like that first rather than just badgering for fishing tips. I also had a great talk with a guy once after offering him my leftover bait as I was packing up to leave

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 24, 2012, 12:31 AM »
When walking out we'll say hi to folks we pass, and stop if we know them. Unless they engage us after that, we keep moving.

We used to be the Delta House on the ice occasionally. Ridiculous hard shack (what idiot in CT would own one?), tunes, and the occasional game of "kill the guy in the JetSled behind the quad". So we got plenty of visitors. All welcome. We're out there for the fun of it.

Besides, who could resist walking by Chief Crazy Ice without at least saying hi?
(Image removed from quote.)
I like his sled! Lol
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Oct 24, 2012, 06:54 AM »
Icefishing isn't a movietheater,it is a social event,now some of you would NOT agree with me but for years I have made new friends on the ice. I know when to keep away from some people. And I do. But just wait till I start hitting fish so fast you can only use one pole. The people that do not want to talk to you or even get close to you,get real friendly. I know,it has happened to me. Lousen up guys,life is short. Meeting new people and talking about icefishing,is a great way to learn more. Keep and open mind.   Jerry

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:01 AM »
No thanks!  and I don't want you standing under my tree stand asking me if I've seen anything either. Just go do your own thing please.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:10 AM »
If I have the top flipped shut stay away I want the peace and quiet of being alone, if the top is open I am in the mood for socializing come on over and chat.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline koolaidnd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:37 AM »
I don't like to be bothered while fishing. I deal with people all week long, and I don't want to be bothered while I'm decompressing on the weekend. My iPod is usually cranked up when I fish alone so I can't hear anybody.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:58 AM »
Glad to see a lot of friendly people that don't mind talking to others. And for those that have to deal with people all week and don't want to interact that is fine also. A friendly hello can't hurt though. And if they want to chat after that, just say sorry but I'm busy.
<===Lefty===

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Oct 24, 2012, 08:44 AM »
Don't mind the occasional "hey how are ya" conversations when moving around on the ice or sitting with the flip over open. I ride around out there on a Rokon so I get a lot of curious questions. Can't stand guys who come up when I'm inside the flip over in the middle of a fish blitz though. Unless it's an emergency don't come knockin' on my clam door.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:18 AM »
When things are slow or we're just watching tip-ups, come on over. Generally glad to share the grill, as long as the food and beer holds up.  Also happy to share intel, just don't be a space invader. If I have the atv and see somebody takin a long walk to nowhere or back to the ramp, I'll offer a tow, met a lot of good folks that way. Always fly the IceShanty flag on the atv!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #41 on: Oct 24, 2012, 10:34 AM »
I dont mind a little friendly chit chat, during slow times, or the mid day lull. I usually get set up, fish like the dickens, then if its slow, i dont mind chatting a bit.  If Im busy setting up though, or hole hoppin during semi prime time, dont expect me to stop what im doing to chat.  If you want to walk with me to see what im doing, fine, but it aint the grocery store, so Im not going to stop what im doing to talk about the weather.  If im first one in a spot, and see someone else wants to fish nearby, i'll usually let em know its ok, especially if I have a few tips spread out.  99% of the folks I meet out there are pretty darn nice, and ive definitely learned some things.  Cant wait to try out a 'new' shallow water gill spot.  Bring on the ice baby!!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 24, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Depends on the guy and obviously the mood of the day.

If it's a hot bite and I'm in the middle of a limit I'm pretty in my own world. However, it never fails tha as that happens some d-bag comes over to not only chat, but then go onto what am I using, how many I got, what equipment I'm using and at times requests to look in my bucket. It's like seriously!?!?

However, if a guy comes over respectable or if the fish just aren't cooperating I'm more than happy to talk about anything from football to what I'm using. Just hate it when a guy gets carried away.

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Oct 24, 2012, 10:58 AM »
i dont want to talk to you all day.  if im just standing around watching flags or checking lines ill talk but dont come over and talk to me every 5 mins. and dont set up 10 feet from the hole im jiggin cause you see the pile of perch i have.  it s abig lake.  ill let you know what they are biting on what depth etc. but then move along.

Offline PondPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2012, 11:05 AM »
I'll stop and talk if it looks like someone is in the talking mood.

As far as talking to me, come on over I don't mind a friendly conversation. Heck if your a nice guy I might even tell you a few tricks and show you the big catch of the day, if not I'll just show you the big catch and the rub it in your face. Either way I don't mind talking. Last year I was fishing with a few buddies of mine and we were catching perch left and right, most in the 7-10 range, and all the sudden I pull up a 13' hog. There was quite the excitement around the shack and when we packed up to leave someone fishing close asked what all the commotion was, he seemed like a nice guy so we told him and he seemed impressed so I was satisfied. I guess you can call me a little bit of a showoff  ;D
--If it was easy they would call it CATCHING not FISHING

Offline danerc07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Oct 24, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Early ice a buddy and I usually fish a small lake right next to where he grew up and still lives. Basically the only people who fish the lake are the people that live on the lake so we know them all pretty well. It's pretty common to walk around and shoot the crap when fishing is slow and it's a really good time! Later in the season when I'm on different lakes I hardly ever walk up to someone and strike up a conversation. If anyone comes up to me I'm glad to chit chat and give tips (and receive any) and to be honest I've never really had anyone come up talk for a bit and then drill holes right next to me. If they did, well, it's a free country and they can do as they please!  ;)
youtube.com/danerc07

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #46 on: Oct 24, 2012, 12:51 PM »
I don't mind talking a little. But I can be the only person fishing an area, then all of a sudden groups of guys start moving in. really, there is a whole lake out here. Or I will drill 6-8 holes and continuously hop between them, then someone feels they have to come up and help themselves to my loop. I can't say i've hardly ever had someone come up and give me tips, usually only want them. I have no problem chatting, but if you want info, you gotta share some info.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline NorthernFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Oct 24, 2012, 01:13 PM »
I like to chat.  The more the merrier in my book!

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Oct 24, 2012, 05:18 PM »
I usually don't have a problem passing a few minutes with a fellow fisherman. It keeps it friendly on the ice.

Online ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #49 on: Oct 24, 2012, 05:33 PM »
I usually don't have a problem passing a few minutes with a fellow fisherman. It keeps it friendly on the ice.
                X2 on that. A little friendly chat w/a fellow ice fisherman, 1 day you might need a friend you met on the ice!

Trooper Bri

« Reply #50 on: Oct 24, 2012, 05:46 PM »
People seem grumpier this year.

Can you tell me how to get to the Empire State Building, or should I go (bad word) myself? ;)

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Oct 24, 2012, 06:01 PM »
I don't mind chatting it up a little bit. I always wonder though. How close is to close to drill a hole.

Offline KELLY T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Oct 24, 2012, 06:50 PM »
I never mind chatting with someone and if Im catching em and there not as long as there friendly I will be more than happy to help them out. My only real peeve is when they get on the phone and start talking about the good bite they found and telling the world about it.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #53 on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:00 PM »
I love helping people out on the ice. I don't mind talking or sharing a beverage with someone. But just as everyone's trending, don't set up within feet of me. I've had guys come over and talk to me and the whole time we're talking they're looking at my flasher. If you want help, ask, don't come over trying to gather intel for where your next move is.

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Oct 24, 2012, 07:41 PM »
People seem grumpier this year.

Can you tell me how to get to the Empire State Building, or should I go (bad word) myself? ;)
LMAO, I got some pop up my nose reading that one. Please don't get me wrong, I will always acknowledge someone on the ice with either a hello or a wave. If they come over to talk for a few minutes I will not snub them. I am just not one to start a conversation with someone I don't know. I like to think of myself as not so much grumpy, just glad to not be at work and enjoying nature and what she provides for us.
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline byron basser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Oct 24, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Ok I will admit it I'm a Chatter. Will always talk to anyone on the ice. Even met a few Ice Shanty members out there. Learned some stuff and I hope I might have helped somebody. But do not like people crowding me and please keep the dogs under control or on a leash.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Oct 24, 2012, 08:25 PM »
dont mind a friendly conversation on the ice but if you think that because we just chated its now ok to bring ur stuff over and start fishing 10ft. away your mistaken. >:(

Agree.

Offline fireman 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:00 PM »
I like to vist with people. It doesn't bother me if someone comes up and vists with me.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Oct 24, 2012, 10:02 PM »
When things are slow on the ice, it's time to party!

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #59 on: Oct 25, 2012, 10:33 AM »
I asked this because I fish with guys that know it all and are in a constant competition with one another and everyone else on the ice seems to be.  I used to follow the school of thought so to speak until a few years back, a buddy and I were walking out on a local lake for the evening bite and en route there was an older gent kinda in the area we had planned on hitting.  Well my buddy lets out the grumble of doom picks up the pace and ignores the mans hello walking past him hastily.  I on the other hand stopped as the guy said hi and struck up a convo the man was out using his new vex which at the time I had never used a flasher period.  He gave me the 101 course standing there.  He wasn't familiar with the lake and was getting ready to head out but he offered to check some of my holes before I just drilled and sat.  Well the first few were duds but then one of them had fish suspended in about 25fow wouldn't you know it I took damn near my limit of crappie sitting there. The man left and some time later my buddy came back asking what the hell that old man wanted.  Since that day I fish with electronics and always stop to say hi and ask hows it going but always observing that unwritten rule of common courtesy.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.