Author Topic: Talk or Stay Away?  (Read 4608 times)

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
Talk or Stay Away?
« on: Oct 23, 2012, 02:28 PM »
Just curious as to your opinions towards on ice etiquette.  We've all been approached and or walked by fellow ice goers.  So do you BS or ignore?
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Talk or Stay Away?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2012, 02:32 PM »
If the bite isn't hot at that minute, I like to chat, since I drive 90 miles to fish. Good way to learn about the area, if nothing else. But no, you're not gonna borrow my gear!!  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2012, 02:35 PM »
I like to chat....I'm just a friendly kinda guy ;D
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline bigyam627

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2012, 02:39 PM »
dont mind a friendly conversation on the ice but if you think that because we just chated its now ok to bring ur stuff over and start fishing 10ft. away your mistaken. >:(
"Fishing is unquestionably a form of madness, but happily, for the once bitten, there is no cure."

Offline DustyRhyno

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Giddy up!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2012, 02:42 PM »
I used to be of the stay away mindset and still lean that way at times. (Sometimes I just want some peace and quiet.)
But as I've gotten older I enjoy helping other people when they ask or it looks like they could use it.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2012, 02:43 PM »
If someone comes up to me, I'll talk to them, if someone is just fishing a hole near me, I'll nod and say hi.  Some people like to talk, some don't.  Either one works for me.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:04 PM »
I will be polite but keep moving...

Last season, I watched 2 guys from my wheelhouse, they were sitting out on pails for hours. Weather turns bad, they are miserable but still fishing! I went out and invited them into my warm shack. They drove 45 mins to get to the lake and were determined to fish! They fished in the shack for the rest of the day. Good guys...alot of fun!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Im a talker. Ill stop and say hi and engage in conversation. If its clear they dont want to thats fine.

A couple years back I actually stopped and was talking to a guy jigging a local pond thats stocked with trout and salmon.

He was drilling 6 inch holes and hopping around. We we mid conversation and he got a huge hit. I stood there as he battled it for a good 5 minutes.
He gets it to the hole and is a big salmon.. Problem was, his hole was to small. I had my 10in Jiffy with me, ripped a hole next to his, and he was able to pull the fish up thru my hole.
Was an 11.5lb'er.

Had I not stopped to chat, he probably wouldn't have been able to land that fish.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:09 PM »
I enjoy meeting and talking to other people on shore, or on the ice. "Birds of a feather", no better people to chat about fishing with, than those actually out doing it.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:14 PM »
stay away, if i wanted to talk i would have gone to the bar instead

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:15 PM »
I enjoy meeting and talking to other people on shore, or on the ice. "Birds of a feather", no better people to chat about fishing with, than those actually out doing it.

Good point! And if any of you guys are up in my part of the world, stop in at da shack and have a drink! LOL!

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:19 PM »
You can usually tell by looking at a guy whether or not you should say hi or keep moving. Ill usually say hi or ask how someone is doing as if I'm walking by them. I don't mind talking to people out on the ice, usually people only come over to talk if I'm catching fish and they ain't though.

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2012, 03:35 PM »
I don't go out of my way to talk to other ice fishermen but if they go out of their way to talk to me I'll have a good chat with them. Or if they are really close to my spot where i usually set up I'll ask if they mind i drill a few holes close to them.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2012, 04:20 PM »
I try to treat everyone like I would like to be treated. If I get treated badly I usually don't put up with much.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2012, 04:23 PM »
i was at prior lake and some guy started talking to me and noticed that i had a tip up in my pail. he offered to set it up for me of couse i said go ahead and he also hooked me up with a sucker and we landed a big northern on it  ;D when ever i go we always talk  and i hope he has his shack out thier next year

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2012, 04:27 PM »
I'll admit as a person who is newer to ice fishing I know I have alot to learn, so I like the idea of chatting with other folks out on the ice and sharing information with them. However I also get the desire for solitude, so I tend to say hi and talk a little but if I get the "keep on moving" vibe I keep on moving.  :)

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2012, 04:29 PM »
i love to chit chat while on the ice. thats what its all about. checking out other guys set ups, and them checking out yours.

ofc there are those days that you try to stay isolated but a little small talk goes along way.

just dont let your dog run around all over my tip ups and tip downs.. has to be the one of the most anoying things that has ever happend to me....

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2012, 04:30 PM »
I'll chat a bit here and there, but the information I dish out depends on your reputation on the ice. ;-)
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2012, 04:39 PM »
I'll flap gums with most who come by.  It's amazing the places and tips I've learned just by talking with a total stranger-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2012, 05:08 PM »
I know first hand most will just walk on by and when I walk by them they don't want to talk. I guess they are afraid I will ask them their secrets. I will talk to as many as I pass and don't mind sharing info if someone ask for it. It's not like they will hog all the fish if I tell them my secrets. That is why we have limits on fish in the first place.

Just so you know, I will turn your butt in if you have more than your share. Nothing like a poacher those dirty low down dogs.
<===Lefty===

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2012, 05:14 PM »
I tend to fish as far away from others as possible. If someone shows up once I am set up and they aren't crowding me I will talk to them if they come over. I wont go over to them, never really been one of those guys to walk up and just talk to random people. I deal with people all week long and really enjoy my tranquility on the ice away from others.
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 23, 2012, 05:17 PM »
I tend to fish as far away from others as possible. If someone shows up once I am set up and they aren't crowding me I will talk to them if they come over. I wont go over to them, never really been one of those guys to walk up and just talk to random people. I deal with people all week long and really enjoy my tranquility on the ice away from others.

Amen!

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2012, 05:22 PM »
its great talking you learn do much more and it adds to the sport
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2012, 05:45 PM »
After I've been fishing awhile and the bite slows, I like to go talk with the people nearby.  Its amazing how many have never heard of Iceshanty.com, but I've also met quite a few members on here too doing that.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Trooper Bri

« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2012, 05:48 PM »
When walking out we'll say hi to folks we pass, and stop if we know them. Unless they engage us after that, we keep moving.

We used to be the Delta House on the ice occasionally. Ridiculous hard shack (what idiot in CT would own one?), tunes, and the occasional game of "kill the guy in the JetSled behind the quad". So we got plenty of visitors. All welcome. We're out there for the fun of it.

Besides, who could resist walking by Chief Crazy Ice without at least saying hi?

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2012, 06:24 PM »
i dont mind talking to people just keep politics and religion out of the convo

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2012, 06:58 PM »
I am always some good talks with a fellow Icehead.  I may have trouble looking away from the vex but rest assured I am listening.lol.  The only thing that bothers me is talking to someone for Five minutes and then they holler to all their buddies and the whole crew is now set up ten feet from me jibber jabbering like we are all long lost cousins,lol. ::)
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline zooplankton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2012, 07:04 PM »
I met some of my best fishing buddies that way, I think the sound of the "Gator"  got their attention ;D
I'll stop and talk to anyone on the hard water, I admire someone who loves being out on a  sub-freezing day.
In saying that, once and awhile you'll come across a  bad  attitude ! now that's a  big big turn-off  :(

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Oh my i am from NY haven't been to CT ice fishing yet but if I ever run into that "chief crazy ice" Im gonna party with that dude. :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2012, 08:07 PM »
I'll talk with people if they approach me, meet some nice people that way.  I always wave and say hi to people I'm around or pass on the way to my spot.  If they're corgal and the bite is slow I'll walk over and close I'll say hi to them and see where it goes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.