Author Topic: Diving into new territory, my first Hard Side build. A work in progress.  (Read 46351 times)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
So was able to get the final wall completed. Whew......

With door in place.

At this point its just a matter of making the roof braces, and then its outside we go to assemble walls into each other.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
So this is my thought process, notice at the top there is a plank of 2 x 2 laying down at an angle. We plan on a 3" over hang front and rear, tomorow its time to cut some birds mouths and secure these to the top. After that, its painting luan time and start working on the trim. Long process indeed.

Offline stingerhook

• IceShanty Rookie
starting to look good though, your doing a great job!!!

tightlines

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
You've been working hard the last couple a days good job. You are doing great.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like the garage door opener is at risk?  Is that thing gonna be able to go out the door?  Those cement floors are really hard on auger blades.
Cheese Head

Offline milehighfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Looks like the garage door opener is at risk?  Is that thing gonna be able to go out the door?  Those cement floors are really hard on auger blades.

exactly what I was thinking.....

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Currently all the walls are their own entity, they are held together to each other with clamps. Its designed to be mostly built in the garage and final assembly is outside. So just a matter of carrying each wall individualy outside, then securing them all together. Rafters being worked on now :)

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking good Quantmn....love the window idea.   :thumbsup:

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok, got the rafters all cut and ready to install. Woot, about to finaly screw this thing together and make it look like a shanty.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok, so its finally time to screw this thing together. I moved the base out to the "Outside of the Garage" and will move the walls out also as needed.

Walls to be moved and firmly attached.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
going up fast

Offline TDR135

• IceShanty Rookie
I was wondering how you were going to get that out of the garage.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Right on, the framing is all completed and secured, minus a few extra touches. Real close to paneling and painting, mind you it might be the most hidious paint color scheme known to man, lol.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sure is purdy!

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
That shack is gonna be sweet. How do you weigh them when there done?

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
That shack is gonna be sweet. How do you weigh them when there done?

Load it on a truck/truck trailer, go to the county transfer station where you pay for garbage by weight via drive on drive off scale, weigh, remove shanty, weigh, subtract the difference and you're golden.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Painting panels indoors atm, hopefully they will be ready to go in about a days time, oh yeah!!!!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Painting panels indoors atm, hopefully they will be ready to go in about a days time, oh yeah!!!!
What color?

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
What color?
As mentioned, it is going to be gawdy at best, for a few reasons. One, to be unique and not look like normal shanty colors, two, visibility during blizzards and heavy snow fall, and three, better visibility for sleds traveling at high speeds, especialy at night. We settled on primarly "Orange ice" with black trim. Also will have yellow/black reflective strip tape for better night visibility.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
The shack is coming along great! I have totally enjoyed the progress updates and all the pictures. Well done sir!  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
The shack is coming along great! I have totally enjoyed the progress updates and all the pictures. Well done sir!  :tipup: :tipup:
Thanks Lavman, its been a blast doing my first build and being able to get input from the IS community. Truly appreciate all the kind words and constructive criticisms. You all rock. Today I will be finishing up most of the painting and possibly get the roof on as well. We have all day tomorrow to make more progress and it should be all enclosed by mid afternoon if all goes well. And as always, pictures to come here shortly  @)

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
I couldn't have said it better if i tried.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Git er' done  :icefish:

Making a little progress today, WaHooo!!!! Bring on the Ice baby!!!

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
As you can tell, I ran out of light, boooo. But still working on getting the roof attached.

Here we have the rafters secured down with deck screws and braces. The luan is just laying on top atm but will be screwed down as well with 1 1/4" deck screws, and there will be a slight overhang of the luan but will be plunge routered off once the bottom trim boards are attached. Starting to look decent, lol.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
My lady has been wanting to help ever since this project started, so tonite she is going to paint the outside luan in the gawdy "Orange Ice" paint color I picked out. She rocks and more pictures on the way.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok, I'm busted, actualy just posed for this picture, I was not really going to screw that screw into the joist, lol.

And proof is in the pictures, my little yooper gal helping me with some paint detail, what an odd color of orange, but she is doing an outstanding job, don't cha know.  :P

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
lookin good

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
While we wait for the first coat of paint to dry, we decided to pre-drill the wall studs for our mood lighting and other 12 volt appliances. My lady is just loving this.

Might have to take a break and go grab a burger, but more panels need to be painted, 7 more to be exact.

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
I grew up in a house that was that color. We referred to it as "calf scowers yellow" :) ;D please don't take Offense. It's gonna look real nice on the ice. Bring on the ice. The little lady doing a fine job.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Hate to tell you that it is easier if you use a broom pole in the end of the paint roller. Looking good, but keep the snow off the roof. If you get a pile of wet snow on top it may not support the weight. You guys get allot of snow up where your at, so best be safe. Does the roof support your weight? If it does, may be fine. If you are on the roof but not sure it will hold you, you can add some strips of the same Luann to the sides of your rafters. I would use a three or four inch piece and glue and staple it. Would be stronger without adding much weight.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.