Author Topic: Diving into new territory, my first Hard Side build. A work in progress.  (Read 46376 times)

Offline winterbot428

• IceShanty Rookie
Thats a lot of extra work... documenting this as you go for all of us to see... Sure preciate it! Shack looks great!
Ya....the early bird gets the worm.....but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese....

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hate to tell you that it is easier if you use a broom pole in the end of the paint roller. Looking good, but keep the snow off the roof. If you get a pile of wet snow on top it may not support the weight. You guys get allot of snow up where your at, so best be safe. Does the roof support your weight? If it does, may be fine. If you are on the roof but not sure it will hold you, you can add some strips of the same Luann to the sides of your rafters. I would use a three or four inch piece and glue and staple it. Would be stronger without adding much weight.

Good pointers Michianafisherman, I have put some thought into the roof design, and even though I contemplated going with a standard gable roof, I decided to keep it as lightweight as possible. Settling on a single slope, 4/12 or 4 degree pitch, was how we went. With the current rafters, a single 2 x 4 in the center, layered first with 1/4" primered luan and then a full layer of Ondura, we hope to be fine with medium to heavy snow falls. I can actualy do pull-ups in the very center, and hear no creaking or bending of the structure (that is without any luan or ondura installed). Mind you, I did feel a little nervous hanging like I did, lol.
I do like your idea of luan strips attached to the rafters and I am sure I will have plenty of scrap once we get the sides all mounted up. So that will definately be something for us to look into doing. It actualy sounds like a great remedy to prevent a possible disaster.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
looking good also it is nice to see your other half helping you  mine would never help me with anything like this

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
looking good also it is nice to see your other half helping you  mine would never help me with anything like this
I am truly blessed with my yooper gal and thank you Meyette for your kind words. We have all the luan primered and painted and weather permitting this weekend we should be ripping and attaching the outside luan. Getting excited to get this thing boxed in finally. :)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well we had a winter storm blow thru yesterday with high winds and a few inches of snow, but today looks mellow except for being cold. So the plan is to panel the shack and possibly do some prelim wiring. Torpedo heater to the rescue :). More pictures and narratives on the way.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
This

Plus this

equals success. Good thing I am able to obtain kerosene rather cheap, actually for free so minus the electricity to run the fan its almost free heat. :)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Just broom the snow off and get back to work. Not much time till ice!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just broom the snow off and get back to work. Not much time till ice!
You are absolutely right on track there sir, I am gainfully plugging away as we speak. Just trying to figure out my plan of attack atm. I believe the roof should come first, then I can start on the siding and fascia stuff. Any ideas on a better direction?

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well, no ice as of yet, but I did have to pull out my hard water jigging techniques.

Lol, I dropped my drill bit down the garage drain and needed to retrieve it. Maybe I should cover that hole up to prevent future mishaps.  ::)

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks good Quantumn. Keep up the good work. Hope the snow and cold weather wont discourage your progress. Wouldn't want the ice to beat you.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Quantumn I keep reading the updates on your shack and I just want to tell you that that is one sweet color you picked out. I think it wool look awsome when it is all done. ;D

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
I grew up in a house that was that color. We referred to it as "calf scowers yellow" :) ;D please don't take Offense. It's gonna look real nice on the ice. Bring on the ice. The little lady doing a fine job.

No offense taken, rofl. Better than I would suppose "cat puke green", and no offense to those who may be offended. :)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just posting some of the progress currently completed.

Using a "LASER" chalk line to line up the roofing screws, this thing is awesome to use. :)

The first two panels are on, WOOHOO, and darn its cold outside (and dark as well), but we will not be deterred, still plenty of kerosene in the torpedo heater.  :clap:

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
Looking good man, that will be nice to fish from...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking good man, that will be nice to fish from...

Thank you sir, it will be awesome just to chill in when the weather is bad. Toss down a few cold ones and wait for the bite to happen.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
All righty, made some decent progress today. Two walls hung and ready for triming/finish nailing.

The end walls are already cut, but I will wait for daylight before I start to wall up the bump out and the round window.

And just a couple shots of the inside after outer walls were hung.

Coming along, slow but starting to take shape, bring on the ice!!!!!!

(time for Grumpy old Men now)

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
looking good

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Even though its nfl time, I am attempting to get some more work done on the "Todd-Mah-Hall", here is a quick pic of what we have accomplished so far.

This will, of course be trimmed out so it looks like it belongs there. Lol, so much fun building this and having the support and ideas from the Ice Shanty community is awesome. Thanks everyone for your input and direction, you all rock!!!!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
looking good

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just a few more pictures of the progress.

Did I mention my lady rocks?

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
So the process continues, sorta leaving the nfl on dvr atm, and the shack is taking shape.

My yooper gal hard at work.

We cut that first panel off kilter a bit, but my lady said, and I had to laugh, "Thats why they make trim", lol

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Man that looks good and that white stuff on the ground makes it even better.

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
Looking great ! Lol when I built mine I remember needing bigger trim lol
---- Joe ----

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
What's with the mustard yellow?  I thought it was going to be orange with black trim?  I had a bunch of Great Pumpkin and Charlie Brown comments all lined up.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's with the mustard yellow?  I thought it was going to be orange with black trim?  I had a bunch of Great Pumpkin and Charlie Brown comments all lined up.  ;-)

Always feel free to launch any comments at will, we are just loving the process and even more, showing all the fun and steps we are going thru. Btw, C. Brown is the man, I wonder if there was ever a scene of him ice fishing, hmmmm.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok, so we finished up all we are going to do this weekend. A few pictures to show some progress.

Tapping in some finish nails.

A celebratory beverage for a good days work  :clap:

A little patriotism at work.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
That shack is looking great quantumn  :thumbsup: you should have a few celebratory coldies for such a good job
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
That shack is looking great quantumn  :thumbsup: you should have a few celebratory coldies for such a good job

Lots of work yet to be done, but its starting to look like a groovy hangout. Thanks for your comment Musky46

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
 Looks awesome Quantumn !!! I dig your round windows ;)
 I wish that my Mrs. would take to the hard water. Maybe when I get my shanty finished...
 And Yes, a cool wobbly pop are always in order after a tough day of shanty building ::) ::) ::)   :tipup:

WyoIce
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
farm jacks work great, but be careful when using, they are the least safe in my opinion. have had several fall when working on things. always double check they are not leaning to one side.

Bought at Menards, probably a little bigger than needed, but it will pull double duty, we have a few tree stumps in the yard that need to be yanked.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.