Author Topic: Diving into new territory, my first Hard Side build. A work in progress.  (Read 46374 times)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
So we have tomorrow off and plans to make some more progress on the castle.

This here is the corner trim that needs to be painted semi-gloss black and also sprayed with light reflective coats for safety reasons. Prelim tests of the reflective paint seem decent but we will find out how it works once it is actually out in the elements. Also in the background is the 2" R10 insulation that will be applied to the bottom of the base for comfort and also insulating.
I will try to get a couple coats of the reflective coating on tonight and post a picture, if they turn out. You can never be too safe, especially after watching that youtube video of a snowmobile slamming into the side of a permi-shack.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
So we attempted to take a picture of the reflective overspray, and the results were less than what our camera was able to capture. It seems to be a great product and does what it says. I will continue to try and show how it turns out but no promises, dagnabit.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Another alternative is that super reflective tape (red & white) that truckers use on their rigs and trailers.  I have that on my tip-ups and they're great when hit with light at night. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another alternative is that super reflective tape (red & white) that truckers use on their rigs and trailers.  I have that on my tip-ups and they're great when hit with light at night.

We do plan on striping it with yellow/black reflective tape as well. But awesome idea Chris, thanks for your input.  :bow:

Well its back to the shack and to make some progress. Updates to follow shortly, I hope.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just a quick shot of the trim work in progress.

Offline Moonman

• IceShanty Rookie
I am loving that yellow. Very nice, especially on those dreary, overcast days.

Moonman.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am loving that yellow. Very nice, especially on those dreary, overcast days.

Moonman.
Thanks Moonman, the color was chosen for several reasons, but yes, bright during those dreary snowy days and nights was a big factor. The color is actualy "Orange Ice" just in case someone else is looking for a color that works.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
i have been following your thread and just want to say that it looking great. :tipup:

Offline bigbear32

• IceShanty Rookie
Certainly is looking great and bringing it out onto the ice for the first time is very near!!! Checked ice on one of the lakes I fish in southern Marquette county on Thanksgiving and found 2" of good solid ice 100 yards out!!! ;D

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
That is great news bigbear32. I have been watching Johnson lake, my back yard, and it started to ice over a bit but definitely will need subfreezing temps to get it to safe thickness.

Offline frawlsmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Comin along great! Been following this thread for a while! I think Im more excited to see the finished product than you are! haha

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just a quick shot of the trim work in progress.

(Image removed from quote.)

A large Ice Shanty logo would look great next to the door.  It would fit right in with the color scheme.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fascia panels all cut and nailed, just waiting on some paint action.

We also got all the luan cut and painted as well, so that should complete the outside except for the ski's/trim/windows. :)

And then the fun starts, wiring up for 12 volt accessories.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
I too have been following the build. love the color

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
So a quick question for the IS community, has anyone ever used one of these hitches with good success?

I am considering using this very one unless someone else has a link to a better deal that will work.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
I think that kind of hitch is for the plastic bottom portables. Not a hard side like yours. I may be wrong, but don't think it would work.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think that kind of hitch is for the plastic bottom portables. Not a hard side like yours. I may be wrong, but don't think it would work.

You very well could be right, and its a battle to pull up specs on it, so I guess Ill do a little more research. Thanks Michianafisherman.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
A few quick updates on the progress.

A picture of trim applied to the door and the rubber trim pad to help prevent damage to the wood edges.

We were able to finaly get all the side panels secured and about half the trim work done.
The facia is painted and ready to apply once a couple more trim pieces are attached. The weather this coming monday is predicted to be lower 50's, ugh, but that will be just warm enough for us to finish the ondura panels for the roof. After that, it will be time to complete and skids and get them attached.

Offline bigbear32

• IceShanty Rookie
Yeah that tow hitch is for one of the portable shelters with a sled. Don't think it would be quite durable enough to pull a hard side shack. Your castle surely is coming together nicely, can't wait to start my new one next summer!!

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
 Looking Great Quantumn ! It's getting close to getting her out on the hard stuff (when it,s finally here)   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hoping to get the Ondura roofing, fascia and some more trim done today before that 4 letter word calls me, work. Making the trim piece for the round window was a little challenging.

We cut a half inch piece of plywood into a ring then brad nailed some of the left over plastic from the skis to form an inside lip to clean up the window install.

and the final product before installation.

It should work out nicely.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
looking good as always. ;D

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well we started laying down the ondura for the roof but ran out of time, silly work stuff. Anyways, it needs to be fastened down all the way and then trim the edges a bit.

Offline fishingguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
So a quick question for the IS community, has anyone ever used one of these hitches with good success?

(Image removed from quote.)

I am considering using this very one unless someone else has a link to a better deal that will work.

How about this?
http://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb-capacity-adjustable-tow-bar-94696.html

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
I was going to tell of the same thing. It's in my Michigan Auto & RV for only 59,99
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
How about this?
http://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb-capacity-adjustable-tow-bar-94696.html
[/quote]

That sounds like a great deal, it will take a little modification to be functional for being attached to my sled. I managed to find a scrapped tow bar similar to this one, but it is slightly bent. So we are in the process of trying to straighten it out then weld on the new brackets. I'll post pictures of the before then after. If my project fails, I will definitely give HF a go. Thanks FishingGuy for the help.

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
I just read this entire post. Looks great! May I suggest a big Vikings emblem on the outside somewhere or possibly SKOL painted in purple on the outside? The color is just right. It is tough to be a Vikes fan. I know....
Big pike thru a hole are fun!

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok, a picture of ugly betty. She may be a little bent and rusted, but has potential.

And Nodak, as much as I would like to show my pride for my team, I do not live in an area that is receptive for any team besides the Packers. I would feel that our shack will be demolished if I lean the other direction, sad, but understandable. But she will be flying colors of Team Ice Shanty and Sinister Swarm. Its going to be epic!

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
So even though yesterday was a 50 degree day and all of the ice on Johnson lake melted, we managed to get some work done today. Nevermind that today my fingers are frozen, we are making some progress. Here is a couple pictures of whats been accomplished so far.

Trim nailed onto the side for the round window.

This side is almost completed, just a trim board along the top edge is needed. You can sort of see the reflective properties of the black paint that we applied. During the daytime, the color is jet black, at night, its a safety issue.

So much work to do, and the build continues. Hoping to post some more updates later on this evening. Plenty of time left to craft.

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
If you put a picture of Ponder on the house it won't be destroyed. Pack fans love Ponder.....
Big pike thru a hole are fun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.