The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: The new Regs are out!!  (Read 4559 times)

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
The new Regs are out!!
« on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:04 AM »
Our current fishing regs expire on 3/31.  IF&W website doesn't have any info regarding the new ones.  Has anyone seen them or know where they're available?

Offline capmorgan928

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Regs???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:07 AM »
I stopped at standish town hall last week, they did not have them yet and they said that they probably would not see them until after the 1st.

Does not make sense to me.

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:10 AM »
The IFW has handed over the lawbook printing over to the Griffin Co. They will be the same format as the last fall hunting Magazine. They will be available soon and have allot of advertising and a more user friendly layout. Unfortunately they will be also larger and not fit well in your back pocket... We will call today & see what's up
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline ZeroGravity

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:13 AM »
It checked the MEIF&W page and they don't even have a pdf that you can pull (at least i couldn't fine it)...  It is surprising that with less than a month to the new regulations there is nothing out there yet...

Have a great day!   :tipup:

- ZG -

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:21 AM »
It checked the MEIF&W page and they don't even have a pdf that you can pull (at least i couldn't fine it)...  It is surprising that with less than a month to the new regulations there is nothing out there yet...

Have a great day!   :tipup:

- ZG -

That's what I was thinking.  I assumed they would be available online long before hardcopy printouts were out.  I guess nothing should be too surprising when it comes to the government  ::)

Offline skidooguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAAAAAGGGG!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:31 AM »
That's what I was thinking.  I assumed they would be available online long before hardcopy printouts were out.  I guess nothing should be too surprising when it comes to the government  ::)

X2
Also known as Rebel16 on MYFISHFINDER.COM

Registered Maine Guide

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:47 AM »
i was thinking the same thing.  It would be nice to have them so we can figure out the new rule changes before we actually start fishing

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:48 AM »
Togue Slot regulatios on Sebago WILL be in effect

Offline capmorgan928

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:50 AM »
I am not quite sure about how that is going to work. Any thoughts?

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2012, 10:13 AM »
and a more user friendly layout.

I'll believe THAT when I see it!  >:(
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:41 AM »

That's the biggest reason I want to see it.  I'm curious what the final verdict was.

Offline capmorgan928

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:55 AM »
That's the biggest reason I want to see it.  I'm curious what the final verdict was.
X2

I still do not understand how this is going to help the salmon fishery in here.

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:56 AM »
I'd say they are going to wait until the week before so people dont get confused.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:57 AM »
X2

The proposed regulations did not look as though they were trying to help the SALMON fishery there, but rather produce trophy togue  :-\

Offline capmorgan928

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:58 AM »
The proposed regulations did not look as though they were trying to help the SALMON fishery there, but rather produce trophy togue  :-\
I know. That is what it sounds like to me as well ???

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2012, 12:01 PM »
I'd say they are going to wait until the week before so people dont get confused.

Too late!!   :unsure: :blink: ???

;D
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline umoguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2012, 12:29 PM »
X2

I've heard some mutterings on a shift of focus away from salmon in this state. I guess I'm not a huge fan of any change. Togue are fun to catch, and just about everything thrives better then a salmon, but I'd hate to see them decline. Maybe they are waiting to release the rules at the last minute so no one has time to complain about it until it is already in effect.

Offline ZeroGravity

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Per conversation with Ralph at the IF&W office in Augusta, the regulations that go into effect on 04/01/2012 should be on the web site after this Friday (03/16/12) and the books should be back from the printers by this Friday also and then get them out for distribution.....

Have a great day!  <(((<

- ZG -

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2012, 08:53 AM »

The final verdict wasn't what we thought when we attended the meeting in Standish. They went and made the no fish slot from 23' to 35" allowing one fish over the 35" and no limit up to 23".

A lot of salmon are going to bite the dust and as previously said; they are making Sebago a trophy togue lake. :(

Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline capmorgan928

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:10 AM »
Does not make sense to me.

A buddy of mine was on that advisory committee, he claims that there is research showing that yes it will make for trophy touge but help the Salmon population at the same time.
To me bigger Touge will just eat bigger Salmon!
If they really wanted to help the Salmon, I think that they should go back to seeding the smelt in here, we had a couple of great years when that program was going on.

Just my .02 cents for what it is worth ;D

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:13 AM »
This is what the bios are thinking in making the rule change-
Sebago Lake – Francis Brautigam pulled together a focus group at Sebago Lake and they explored the history of the management of Sebago, the current situations and decided what direction the angling public should go.  It was aimed at protecting and enhancing the landlocked salmon.  One of the major obstacles is the burgeoning lake trout population.  The proposal that came from the focus group with regards to the lake trout population was that there is science to show that if you can weight that population of lake trout toward larger individuals, they will control the number of smaller lake trout which are so abundant in Sebago right now.  The focus group recommended no size or bag under 23” on lake trout and nothing over 23”.  We received a lot of public comments regarding that with concerns about catching a trophy fish.  We decided to accept the cut off at 33” so there would be no size or bag under 23”; 23” – 33” mandatory release, but could keep 1 fish over 33”.

Offline capmorgan928

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:17 AM »
This is what the bios are thinking in making the rule change-
Sebago Lake – Francis Brautigam pulled together a focus group at Sebago Lake and they explored the history of the management of Sebago, the current situations and decided what direction the angling public should go.  It was aimed at protecting and enhancing the landlocked salmon.  One of the major obstacles is the burgeoning lake trout population.  The proposal that came from the focus group with regards to the lake trout population was that there is science to show that if you can weight that population of lake trout toward larger individuals, they will control the number of smaller lake trout which are so abundant in Sebago right now.  The focus group recommended no size or bag under 23” on lake trout and nothing over 23”.  We received a lot of public comments regarding that with concerns about catching a trophy fish.  We decided to accept the cut off at 33” so there would be no size or bag under 23”; 23” – 33” mandatory release, but could keep 1 fish over 33”.
It does not make sense to me but I am not a bio. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I am sure that there is a lot of happy Touge fisherman out there!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:40 AM »
a 35in. togue is like 15+ lbs.! well at least the pike cant eat them at that size. might be the only fish to survive the invasion. sucks for the salmon tho. the big togue will target the salmon as much as the pike will!

Offline HRDWTR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Talked to a warden on west Grand and he said there would be a 10 fish limit on cusk! Too many left wasted on the ice... Same thing happened to the whitefish. :( :-\ :'(

Offline MEyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2012, 02:23 PM »
No fishery is gonna be helped seeming there's pike in there now :-\

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2012, 11:10 AM »
 i think it just might work  now lets  throw in  a few millon smelt to go with them
in god we trust

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
The new Regs are out!!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 AM »
Just picked mine up today. Some make for an interesting read tonight...
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The new Regs are out!!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2012, 11:54 AM »
Picking mine up at City Hall this afternoon...... :tipup:

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 13, 2012, 11:58 AM »
The final verdict wasn't what we thought when we attended the meeting in Standish. They went and made the no fish slot from 23' to 35" allowing one fish over the 35" and no limit up to 23".

A lot of salmon are going to bite the dust and as previously said; they are making Sebago a trophy togue lake. :(
The changed it from that. The final is  no fish slot from 23' to 33" allowing one fish over the 33" and no limit up to 23".
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The new Regs are out!!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 13, 2012, 12:04 PM »
not seeing it on line yet ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.