New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: woodstove in shanty?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline adkjack533

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My shanty ain't pretty, but neither am I !!
woodstove in shanty?
« on: Feb 13, 2012, 06:54 PM »
I was told I couldn't have a woodstove in my ice shanty this past weekend. Not by any authority figure, but by some other  people icefishing. They stated they were from down state. I was fishing Essex county where I live. I have never had a problem on any lake I fished before. I have a small potbelly that I have used for 25 years. I like wood heat better because its dry heat.  Am I wrong??  I couldn't find anything on them with DEC website.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: woodstove in shanty?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:00 PM »
keep doing as your doing.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:06 PM »
perfectly legal to have a woodstove in the shanty:

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:07 PM »
I was told I couldn't have a woodstove in my ice shanty this past weekend. Not by any authority figure, but by some other  people icefishing. They stated they were from down state. I was fishing Essex county where I live. I have never had a problem on any lake I fished before. I have a small potbelly that I have used for 25 years. I like wood heat better because its dry heat.  Am I wrong??  I couldn't find anything on them with DEC website.

When you say downstate, do you mean below albany?  ;)

Offline adkjack533

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My shanty ain't pretty, but neither am I !!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:10 PM »
I was being nice.  ;D Way below Albany....

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:13 PM »
I was being nice.  ;D Way below Albany....

That explains it.  Was on a open house for maple syrup producers when one of those way below albany people stopped by.  You should have seen their reaction when they found out that maple syrup comes from trees!  ;D

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Oh NO....we are not going to start the "what is considered upstate" or "Northern NY" thing again are we??   LOL ;) ;D

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:16 PM »
Oh NO....we are not going to start the "what is considered upstate" or "Northern NY" thing again are we??   LOL ;) ;D
No, I am amused by what people consider upstate, down state though.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:27 PM »
That explains it.  Was on a open house for maple syrup producers when one of those way below albany people stopped by.  You should have seen their reaction when they found out that maple syrup comes from trees!  ;D

I am sure you could find people ignorant to out door stuff up north too. 

Just to throw something out there....I grew up on Long Island, now just outside of Syracuse......I know..still not Northern NY by some standards, and I get it.  There are plenty of downstate "rednecks" too though.  There is great fishing there....fresh water and salt water.  There are some huge bucks taken off some of the woods there every year.  And the waterfowl hunting is awsome. Long Island is a huge and diverse place.  NYC on the west end, all the way to large cabbage and potato farms, wineries and wood lands on the east end.  And the east end is not all "the Hamptons" where the celebs live.  That is a very small part of it.  There are poor struggling farms there too, just like up here.  Granted the yuppies traveling  to the ADKs are not the best example of this....but there are plenty that can blend into Northern NY just fine.

Not a rant....just felt I should throw out a little Long Islander insight. ;D ;)

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:36 PM »
Gotta love the flatlanders coming up and telling ya u caint have a woodstove in ure shanty........probably tree huggers, just saying.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:43 PM »

Not a rant....just felt I should throw out a little Long Islander insight. ;D ;)

not a rant against down staters,. My mother is from long island.   It just seems that most of the encounters I've had with "down staters"  turn out that way.  I used to tourguide at an upstate attraction and had a "down stater (with a brooklyn accent) ask me "so what do you hicks like to do for fun up here?".  I looked him dead serious in the eyes and said" well, cow tipping is always fun but our best entertainment is making tourists dissappear!"

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:53 PM »
HAHAHAHA i wish i could of seen the look in there eyes

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Thats what i doent get is most of them i come across look down on everyone around them like we are a bunch of idiots, and were very rude.  Drive like they are still in the city.  Too bad they have to ruin it for the good people that live downstate.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:01 PM »
not a rant against down staters,. My mother is from long island.   It just seems that most of the encounters I've had with "down staters"  turn out that way.  I used to tourguide at an upstate attraction and had a "down stater (with a brooklyn accent) ask me "so what do you hicks like to do for fun up here?".  I looked him dead serious in the eyes and said" well, cow tipping is always fun but our best entertainment is making tourists dissappear!"

I know the type...trust me.  The ones that thing going north of Orange county is way up in the sticks.  I get it. Just wanted to point out that its not all like that and there are plenty of us down staters that could blend in just fine up north....well except for the accent thing I guess.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Thats what i doent get is most of them i come across look down on everyone around them like we are a bunch of idiots, and were very rude.  Drive like they are still in the city.  Too bad they have to ruin it for the good people that live downstate.

I can understand the frustration with them.  The stuck up stereotypical Long Islanders and the yuppi types.  But I wonder if maybe you don't realize the "other" Long Islanders you come accross because they don't make stupid coments and remarks that make them stand out.

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:17 PM »
I agree emtorn.....like i said its too bad they ruin it for the good nice folks that i have most likely ran into and didnt realize it.  And i have to say most of my bad encounters were New Jersey plates haha.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:21 PM »
I agree emtorn.....like i said its too bad they ruin it for the good nice folks that i have most likely ran into and didnt realize it.  And i have to say most of my bad encounters were New Jersey plates haha.

now thats a whole other story.....LOL ;D   We woun't open that can of worms now

Hey adkjack533....sorry your thread kinda got hijacked

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Deff sorry kinda got side tracked........keep the smoke going up the chimney adkjack533

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:40 PM »
"They can have my woodstove, when they pry it from my worm dry hands  ;D". Must be great to have a permanent shanty, only been in one once.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:45 PM »
"They can have my woodstove, when they pry it from my worm dry hands  ;D". Must be great to have a permanent shanty, only been in one once.

they are nice on days when its really cold and windy.   But I like my portable better because I can go from lake to lake with it. Now If I could just figure out how to put a woodstove in the portable.....

Offline Adkmountainman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Thats what my portable is missing adkroy......haha

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:54 PM »
I can remember days when we fished Port Henry for smelt in a rented shanty with a wood stove.  10* outside and there we were fishing in short sleeves. Nice memories
Tony

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:13 PM »
they are nice on days when its really cold and windy.   But I like my portable better because I can go from lake to lake with it. Now If I could just figure out how to put a woodstove in the portable.....

You just mount the stove to the trailer you guys rode out on schroon and set up the pop up over it  ;D. Best of both worlds. That's why I never got the ambition to build one, I like to fish different places and waters to much. If I ever find the golden hole that produces walleyes regularly I may consider one ;).

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:38 AM »
i will be building one this summer, and i plan on putting a woodstove in it.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2012, 07:53 AM »
hold  on !  was  it  in  orange  county????  i  know  that  there  was   town  laws   passed   (maybe  county)  that  makes  out  door  wood  stoves   illegal  ...  there  may  also  be   zoning  laws!!!!   i have  a  friend  that  couldn't   put  in  a  out  side  wood  stove !!!!!   

adk  i'm  below  albany   only  differance  is  were  closer  to  bass  pro   :woot:

Offline tubejigthis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:17 AM »
Do not let others dictate on how to enjoy your ice fishing or other quality of life hobbies. As long as you are not hurting any person,place or thing... ENJOY!!! I'll mind my own business about N.J.er's thinking they are from both NY or NJ( whichever is more benefiting at the time.)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:07 PM »
Do not let others dictate on how to enjoy your ice fishing or other quality of life hobbies. As long as you are not hurting any person,place or thing... ENJOY!!! I'll mind my own business about N.J.er's thinking they are from both NY or NJ( whichever is more benefiting at the time.)

thats  all  well  and  fine  as  long  as  your   not  breaking  any  local  laws  or  ordance    ...like  i  said  many   townships  have  strick  regs  on  wood  burning  now  !  lets  not  forget   you  can't  transport  wood  from  other  areas  unless  it's  inspected and  certified!!!!  i  don't  believe  the  people  were  interfering  i  think  they  were   talking  about  local  ordiances  .....

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:39 PM »

adk  i'm  below  albany   only  differance  is  were  closer  to  bass  pro   :woot:

I'm talking about I-87 on south to NYC.  You are what I'd consider middle NY.  ;D

Offline tubejigthis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Very good point on the wood transportation laws.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Its alot cheaper to burn wood than transport propane.Take a good wood fire any day. They have only been burning wood in America for Thousands of yrs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.