Author Topic: difference between flourocarbon leader material and flourocarbon line?  (Read 13831 times)

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey guys I've been trying to find out what the difference between spending 10 bucks on 30yds or flouro leader material and spending 15 bucks for 330yds of flourocarbon line. Are they each made of a totally different material?

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Icefish4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys I've been trying to find out what the difference between spending 10 bucks on 30yds or flouro leader material and spending 15 bucks for 330yds of flourocarbon line. Are they each made of a totally different material?

I asked a similar question once... :)

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=44517.0

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
same, learned that long time ago, just be sure to go quality flourocarbon.. I tried the cheaply priced flouro and they are junk.. good brand is p-line and seaguar .. seagar red box 300yds 11.99 @ gmt

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
There is a big, fat, huge, difference between fluro leader and line!

The stuff that is sold on wrist spools is much tougher than the line, even of the same brand. The leader is stiff and would be nearly useless as a main line, not to mention it is 4x the price. The leader is the real deal, line is toned down so it won't fly off your spool like an angry snake.

Do not substitute line for leader if teeth and rocks are the reason you are using it. If you are using it because it sinks and is super low vis, save the money and use the 330 yard spool of line.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saltwater lb. test rigging yes maybe freshwater too but,  using seaguar main flouro for leaders on tipups or spooning and trolling or live lining in the lake  I say 10.00 for 30yd spool is foolish.. even for flyfishing tippet. I know you are correct in that leader material is stiffer and makes sense for maybe flyfishing applications but,. Seaguar main works good enough for most freshwater riggings. jmho

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
They are not the same go to seagars website and look under frequently asked questions. leader material is made to handle more shock

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
I jsut bought some fancy p-line leader, I hope there is a difference haha, either way I should have enough for plenty of leaders and I have no use for 300yds of 30lb fluoro
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic

• Team IceShanty Maniac
May be crap but its the same

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
That's because it's crap! ;)

Good leader material is so stiff, it's easier to rig it with crimp sleeves. There is no reason for it unless you have teeth or rocks...

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
vanish is crap on the spool..stopped using that years ago.. it does fly off the spool..even my friend had the same problem. I used 8lb  flouro p-line for my barrel rigs. great stuff.. and now been using seaguar  flouro main line  and it too is good enough.. sure it frays but I check and always change it knowing I have a few hundred yds of spool in my soft tackle. like any mono, store it out of the sunlight. Try it , especially for barrel to tipups or use it barreled to your favorite superbraids open water season.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
thanks for the great info everyone

Offline IsomBay

• IceShanty Rookie
Copolymer is the type of  line for ice fishing. Made by Silver Thread. Super clear, super strong. I have used it for years and will for many more.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
They are different. The leader material flourocarbon is much stiffer and more abrasion resistant.

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
They are different. The leader material flourocarbon is much stiffer and more abrasion resistant.
yes yes stiffer and abrasive.. good for river fishing/flyfishing , I like a main spool of 300yds for leader material on open water trolling and ice fishing 4x less. If my 100% flourocarbon seaguar fails , I may opted for the stiffer flytippet stuff. anybody else agree or disagree, let us know here. always open for better options when and if needed.

Offline muffin man

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am trying the braid used for open water bassfishing for a leader this year. Only been out once however, I did manage a few fish and one was a pickerel. The line did well. Anyone else try this or..........?

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am trying the braid used for open water bassfishing for a leader this year. Only been out once however, I did manage a few fish and one was a pickerel. The line did well. Anyone else try this or..........?
You don't use braid for leader, first off, the fish can see the braid, the biggest disadvantage of going straight is it can bust off if and when snagged anywhere on the main.. resulting in you loosing several yards of expensive line not to mention possibly harming the creatures swimming near that busted off super braid that isn't exactly environmentally friendly .. you want to use a barrel and whatever kind of  premium  brand monofiliment for leader.. anything from a foot and a half to four feet will do for most any fishing. Braids usually are much stronger per lb. test than mono lines therefor, when you snag and have to bust off, usually you only break off below the barrel and only losing your rig.  There should be a law against using braid without a barrel and mono tippet/leader.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
.  There should be a law against using braid without a barrel and mono tippet/leader.

Would a uni-knot be illegal in your world too? What if I wanted to use a copolymer tippet?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic

Braid is by far the worst choice for leader material. It is the most likely to fail in the most scenarios. It is not nearly as cut or abrasion resistant and regular mono, and is more visible than everything but dacron.

It's the thinnest and has near zero stretch, but it is not for teeth, rocks, or line shy fish.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I use regular Fluro line primarily because I want the flexability and do not need the toughness of the Fluro leader material. The Fluro leader material is tougher and stiffer. Compare at the store sometime.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
just tied up 10, 30# fluoro leaders for some Northerns using the fluoro leader material, def looks pretty durable
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
I use regular Fluro line primarily because I want the flexability and do not need the toughness of the Fluro leader material. The Fluro leader material is tougher and stiffer. Compare at the store sometime.
I agree, I also like the flexibility knowing I have enough on a 300yd spool at a fraction the price of those specified for fly tippet material 30yd spools. No way is that expensive stuff anywhere demanding in lake fishing applications as it is for flyfishing ;D

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Big difference between the two, as mentioned if you fish for fish with teeth you want the leader stuff.  I've tried regular flouro line up to 44 lbs and it gets bit thru easily, way easier than 40 lb leader material.  I totally disagree with privateeyes about it being just for flyfishing, its not.  If you fish big pike or muskie summer or winter and want to use flouro for a leader you want the leader material for everything: flyfishing, icefishing and traditional open water fishing.  I use up to 100 lb leader material for big pike.  If you are not fishing for fish with teeth, then the regular line is perfect.

Offline dkillay64

• Team IceShanty Regular
There is a big, fat, huge, difference between fluro leader and line!

The stuff that is sold on wrist spools is much tougher than the line, even of the same brand. The leader is stiff and would be nearly useless as a main line, not to mention it is 4x the price. The leader is the real deal, line is toned down so it won't fly off your spool like an angry snake.

Do not substitute line for leader if teeth and rocks are the reason you are using it. If you are using it because it sinks and is super low vis, save the money and use the 330 yard spool of line.

X2... there is definately a difference... be safe and use the leader material for anything with teeth

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
My tip ups are used for pike and walleye. I went with an 8lb leader of seaguar invisx 330yd spool for walleye and 30lb seaguar leader material for pike. Thanks to all for clearing that up.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict

price and size of spool, its all the same.

J-

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
I stopped at gmt  was going to buy p-line leader 30yd spool for 8.00 dollars and  instead found in the ice fishing section  a 110yd of flouro berkley vanish for 5.50  ..it is all the same for this kind of fishing. As long as it is 100% flouro and is strong enough using the snapping test with your hands.. I like to also re-rig my tippets after a few days or between fishing trips especially  6lb test and 4lb test both tipups and on my jigcombos

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
It is all pretty much the same with one exception, Berkley Vanish. That is the crappiest line I have ever used and broke way below its rated breaking strength and I lost many fish due to breaking. I would save yourself the frustration and put on some better stuff. Although that depends on what lb test you got I guess, maybe you could get away with 10lb if you were careful and weren't going after toothy critters.

On topic though...I found out myself over the summer when I was sold some flouro leader at a saltwater tackle shop for my saltwater rods and noticed that it was impossibly hard to tie 80lb flouro leader onto a barrel swivel.

What are these crimp connects you are speaking about?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.