The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: 2012 Gull Lake Smelt  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
2012 Gull Lake Smelt
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Post reports for Gull Lake smalt action here.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Re: 2012 Gull Lake Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:28 PM »
No smelt yet as of 2012. I've yet to make it out there :P
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline David in Augusta

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:34 PM »
40ish between Daboobers and myself on Friday night...we fished late 11pm till 5am...
"When we can no longer draw bows, when sinew has shrunk and bone gone brittle, we will hunt in our dreams because hunting is part of our souls..."

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:16 AM »
5 inches good ice fish were there too. Did well.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:43 PM »
Any recent repots on ice conditions. Smelt grounds south.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline ggfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Yep... the ice is good for the smelt grounds.  People are starting to head out there now. Just be careful the ice is super super slick. If you have creepers wear them. You will be glad you did...

Offline kcb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:17 PM »
GG are you heading out tonight???

Offline ggfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:20 PM »
GG are you heading out tonight???

Yep I will be out there hanging on the outskirts of the city going for trout again.
Stop on over if you are out that late I will show you how.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:02 PM »
GG, gonna try your tip w/ cotton balls either thurs. or fri.nite. What do you have for a shanty?I am in a camo hub blind. If your tip works I just wanted to thank you in person!
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline ggfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:45 PM »
We will be out there trouting, If I see ya out there I will give ya a shout.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:21 AM »
GG, gonna try your tip w/ cotton balls either thurs. or fri.nite. What do you have for a shanty?I am in a camo hub blind. If your tip works I just wanted to thank you in person!

Hey GG...could you post a pick of this? Thanks (from all of us)  ;D

On a more serious note, which I guess you could call a "Gull Report". There was another thread (I can't find it) about guys finding trash on and around the lake. If, you're doing it, STOP!!! And if you see someone else doing it STOP THEM!!! (ask for help from those around you if they're giving you the biz).

Some of you may remember a few years ago when the South Bay received an on-slaught of activity. Guys acting a fool, cops were called, cars being towed because they parked where ever they d**n well pleased. After all this, the Bay was pretty much shut down as far as access goes...it was at a premium. And if the b.s. doesn't stop..NOW...we're going to find ourselves, once again, on the outside looking in.

I know it's probably only a few individuals that are doing it, but it only takes 1 to ruin it for all of us. And the ones doing it will be the first to b***h that they can't get on anymore.

So please, take your stuff with you...pick up what you find...and stop the ones you see. Thanks.

Sorry for the rant and the hijack...but it needed to be said.  :( 
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:53 AM »
Looking at making a run down to go smelting. Is the south side of the lake the only spot that has good ice? Or are people fishing smelt on the north end as well? Any info would b greatly appreciated.  :)

Offline lessmeltmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2012, 03:21 AM »
I made a smelt spear.  I looked it up, and it is legal to do on Gull.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:19 AM »
I do not believe smelt spearing is legal On Gull lake.We checked last year,and it was not open to spearing.There is a list that the DNR has for closed lakes,and Gull was on that list.We had the same idea last year,but that got shot down.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Here it is: DNR Fisheries order 200.11A.Gull lake is a type E trout lake .As stated in the the Mich. fishing regs,pg.12 for bow & spearing regs it says it is open on "Inland non-trout waters"(through the ice". Gull is also listed on pg. 27 of the regs as a Type E lake.

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2012, 11:41 AM »

TIMES  2--   a type E lake

Offline lessmeltmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:24 PM »
on page 22 it lists designated trout lakes as A,D and B lakes marked with an asterisk, so that would make an E lake legal right?

Offline lessmeltmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:41 PM »
On page 12 it states inland non-trout waters are those inland waters except Designated
Trout Lakes and Designated Trout Streams (see FO-200, FO-
210, and p. 22 - 37); For exceptions to these regulations, see
Note 8 - Restricted Spearing Lakes (p.8).  Page 8 does not mention Gull lake. 

Designated trout lakes:
All Type A, all Type D and those Type B* lakes marked with an asterisk (*) are designated trout lakes (see p. 26 - 37).

I think it is still legal. On page 22 it lists designated trout lakes as A,D and B lakes marked with an asterisk, so that would make an E lake legal right?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:04 PM »
You appear to be correct! I will be contacting the Plainwell DNR office on Monday to find out.Sorry about the misinformation.The only other regs that I have seen that are more confusing than Mich.,is Alaska. That is one cool looking spear & if it is legal I will be firing up the welder!!!!!!

Offline lessmeltmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:35 PM »
I believe it is technically called a nigog.  They were originally used for sprearing eels.  This one I made specifically for smelt, I have a couple made already and plan on making several more, unless someone can show me that it is illegal.  I am pretty sure Gull, Crystal, Green and Higgens lakes are all legal for spearing smelt during the months of January & February.

Offline Diehard_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im a diehard fisherman, obviously.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:01 PM »
thats wicked that their eyes glow!

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2012, 09:30 PM »
On page 12 it states inland non-trout waters are those inland waters except Designated
Trout Lakes and Designated Trout Streams (see FO-200, FO-
210, and p. 22 - 37); For exceptions to these regulations, see
Note 8 - Restricted Spearing Lakes (p.8).  Page 8 does not mention Gull lake. 

Designated trout lakes:
All Type A, all Type D and those Type B* lakes marked with an asterisk (*) are designated trout lakes (see p. 26 - 37).

I think it is still legal. On page 22 it lists designated trout lakes as A,D and B lakes marked with an asterisk, so that would make an E lake legal right?

This is correct, I checked 2 years ago by emailing the DNR to check and see if it would be legal to spear smelt out of Higgins and YES you can spear on Type E lakes unless mentioned other wise in the restricted spearing lake section. Yes it has plenty of trout in it but it still is not a designated trout lake (the regs are stupid and confusing)

Offline lessmeltmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:28 PM »
That is good to hear, I will start ramping up production. 

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:32 AM »
Just a little clarification.  As Higgins said, it is legal to spear smelt in Gull, but only in Jan-Feb.  First check lake type.  Gull is type E.  Go to page 22 of the guide.  It tells you what types are designated trout lakes.  Type E is not a designated trout lake. (Just because trout are stocked into Type E lakes doesn't mean they are classified as a designated trout lake)  Now go to the bow and spear fishing table on page 12.  Read the text above the table as it gives you a definition of inland non trout waters, which is any lake that isn't a designated trout lake.  We already know type E isn't a designated trout lake.  Go to the spearing table and you will see spearing for smelt is open thru the ice in Jan-Feb.  You can then look by county to see if there is any exceptions (there aren't for Gull). 

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:31 AM »
You should contact your local DNR officer on this one. It is how THEY interpit the rule book. I spoke with the local officer who patrols Gull last year on this mater and he said " You will receve a ticket if caught spearing smelt ".
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:07 PM »
I checked with the Plainwell DNR office today.After being put on hold for quite a while I recieved an answer.YES it is legal to spear smelt through the ice in Jan.& Feb on Gull lake.Sorry for the misinformation the other day,now I gotta go out in my barn & build a smelt spear!

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:52 PM »

Thanks for checking officially smeltbuster.  I will now begin sharpening the tines on my crab fork! ;D

Offline coldfishin82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:14 PM »
I WAS THNKING ABOUT MAKING IT UP TO THE BAY TOMORROW, DO YOU GUYS THINK THERE WILL BE SAFE ICE WITH ALL THIS WARM TEMPS? Thanks.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Thanks for checking officially smeltbuster.  I will now begin sharpening the tines on my crab fork! ;D
Is that what you do to get them when there not bitting....got to resort to spearing.....I was thinking about a depth charge   ;D......CP can you hook me up with one of them?  What does it say about that in the regs?

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:45 PM »
I love to spear and I was all ready to get me some smelt a few years back but then as I thought about making the hole I realized that it would be very easy for some drunken smelt fisherman (plenty out there smelt fishing) to fall into my hole and add night time and deep water to the situation and it spells trouble, now yes of course I would have put a stick in the hole to mark it but sticks can melt and fall in and idiots with a few drinks in them might think its something to play with. Not saying that you shouldnt spear them I'm just saying "be very careful on marking your holes"..........O yeah and stick one of them little suckers for me  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.