The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: 2012 Gull Lake Smelt  (Read 3137 times)

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Re: 2012 Gull Lake Smelt
« Reply #30 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:10 PM »
Is that what you do to get them when there not bitting....got to resort to spearing.....I was thinking about a depth charge   ;D......CP can you hook me up with one of them?  What does it say about that in the regs?

Ill see what I can do...If I cant get it ill see if I can find some Taliban and find out how to make the good homeade stuff that they use on us!

I think spearing them would be a blast, but like Higgins says a large hole out there at nice could cause some serious issues for the intoxicated smelt catchesr. I mean I know I like to enjoy a few while out there...I better start wearing my life jacket!
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline eastside slumpbuster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing I hate more than slob sportsman!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:25 PM »
I think you would be ok spearing them in a normal 8" hole.  No need to chop a pike spearing hole for them little guys.  Wouldn't be too hard to spear them when they're right under the ice or swimming up in your hole.
Shooting geese in the backyard, thats how a real sportsman does it I guess.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #32 on: Jan 30, 2012, 11:50 PM »
I think you would be ok spearing them in a normal 8" hole.  No need to chop a pike spearing hole for them little guys.  Wouldn't be too hard to spear them when they're right under the ice or swimming up in your hole.

This can be true on some nights but for best results I would think you might want at least a 15" hole. But yeah I have had them swim right up in the hole before.

Offline lessmeltmen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:21 AM »
I was getting them no problem out of a 7" hole.
I Left my line, with a hali and some spikes on it, right below the ice to kinda lure them in like a decoy would.
I have a few for sale on craigslist if anyone wants one.
https://post.craigslist.org/u/iNzSUQZM4RGFIC6HgP3O4Q/kbji6  I would be happy to give an IceShanty discount. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:37 AM »
I was getting them no problem out of a 7" hole.
I Left my line, with a hali and some spikes on it, right below the ice to kinda lure them in like a decoy would.
I have a few for sale on craigslist if anyone wants one.
https://post.craigslist.org/u/iNzSUQZM4RGFIC6HgP3O4Q/kbji6  I would be happy to give an IceShanty discount. 
(Image removed from quote.)

That is pretty sweet...nice job. :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.