The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: portable shanty vs permanent  (Read 4863 times)

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
portable shanty vs permanent
« on: Jan 22, 2012, 02:31 PM »
at a crossroads right now.  i have almost everything to start building my shanty, including a nice looking camper heater that i just picked up.  i planned on putting in 3 or 4 bunks, and bringing it up to alburgh.  that is, until i went to the show yesterday.    i am trying to have a place big enough for 6-7 people, 5 of them kids.  all thats left to buy is plywood.  but at the show yesterday i checked out the new portables.  nice.  i then went online(ebay), and saw some really nice clam shelters, including one that is 6 x 10, maybe it was 12'.  checking around, i found on a different site one of these portables ( which have no floor) for 255 on sale.  kids SAY that want to spend a night on the ice, so the portable wouldnt work, but of course with the permanent one, we could.  suggestions?
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: portable shanty vs permanent
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Plywood floor for half of the portable to put bunks on??
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Bluepike...

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Build, Build Build!! Dad and I went to see Dave Genz at the North Bailey FD (Buffalo, NY) over twenty years ago. I started to build my first "clam" the next day with a masonry tub, electrical conduit, downhill ski's and a borrowed sewing machine. I've done three generations of clams, built pull-sleds to carry pop-ups, a caboose phase (current) when I bought the snow machine and a hard-sided shanty that now resides in the NEK for my annual trek to Magog. I'm thinking of a boat trailer fueled design to carry the snow machine inside and head for Minnesota soon. 
     There are sufficient shanty photos available on the web to inspire you and all the non-ice months to complete the build. Good luck, follow the kids advice and start your evolutionary journey!! 
Dad's Rules:
Don't be the first one out.
Don't be the last one in.
STAY on the trail!!

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Gotta pic of your caboose. Please don't take that wrong.

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:14 AM »
    Vtbuck:
I have the portable Command Post by Clam Corp.  It is a great hub design portable and it is big.6 x 12.
I have spent a few nights on champlain in 10 below weather before and it didn't get below 75 degrees in the tent.That's what we stayed in with cots that should be at least 20 inches off the ice.We had no floor in the tent because we wore creepers.I went to area stores and got as much cardboard as i could find and layed that down on the ice for a floor.Worked great.It was the best sleep i ever had outdoors.You just need a wind proof tent.I would do it again in a flash.it was a tent about 10 x 15 or 18 and i heated it with a kerosun heater.Had a great night.Hope this helps you out.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:48 AM »
Ever since I was 5 years old my Dad has had a portable pop up shanty. It was a little cramped but when I was small it was great, plenty of space.

As I grew into a 6', 185 pound man I realized I wanted / needed more space in the shanty so I went the hard sided route and built me a sweet shanty. It was 4'x8', 7' tall with a tin roof and aluminum door, double hung windows, 4 holes with floor covers, and being the carpenter I am it was first class. I constructed it on my tilt snowmobile trailer so I could easily launch it. I attached 3 downhill skis to the bottom to slide it on once offloaded. I thought I had the world by the balls with this thing and I had visions of wonderful days and nights on the ice having all sorts of fun.

Well the day came when it was ready to launch. By this time we had about 18" of snow on the ice so I summoned by fellow snowmobiling buddy. At that time I was running a Ski Doo Mach Z 800, piped, studded, totally badass machine. My buddy had a Ski Doo Mach 1 700. We lined up in front of the shanty at the boat launch like reindeer to Santa's sleigh and hooked the ropes to the shanty and nodded to each other and proceeded to pull. Well that is when it started to suck. The skis did not provide enough floatation in the snow, the leading wall of the shanty acted like a snow plow and we managed to build up a huge mound of snow in front of the shanty at which time the ropes proceeded to break.

As bewildered as we were at this unfortunate turn of events we were not about to give up. We retrieved a shovel from the truck, dug out the shanty and repositioned the sleds then hooked back up and doubled our ropes. We then stationed another buddy in the rear of the shanty farthest from the tow points to lean the shanty back to get it to ride up on the snow. Given the lake was not groomed (acres of fluffy powedr before us) we realized this was going to ratchet up the suck factor in terms of getting the shanty to where we wanted it, which should be noted, was quite a ways from the boat launch where we started.

We proceeded to moss the snot out of the sleds yarning on the shanty for all the combined 1500cc's of raw Ski Doo power could muster. Rooster tails of snow were spewing out the back of the sleds as we inched our way out onto the lake. After several minutes of "progress" we stopped to let the machines idle down and re-considered our placement of the shanty. We elected to set it far closer to the launch. Not having an auger with use to drill and sound the bottom for depth, we ended up in a lousy spot to fish, in fact the water was only about 2' deep where we set it so the shanty served only as a remote base station for the upcoming fishing weekend.

As the season wore on and the snow continued to pile up I monitored the shanty. At one point the damn thing succombed to the high winds, broke its ice moorings and flipped over. I began to curse the day I decided to build this friggin thing. Finally at the waning days of the season, after several thaws and my buddies telling me I was running out of safe ice to get the shanty off the lake I decided to go recover the thing.

After me and two other full grown men struggled the shanty back to the boat landing I left it there until after mud season when I could get in without sinking out of sight. By the time I went back to get it passers by had tossed litter in the shanty and it smelled like an outhouse (primarily because I believe it was being used as a piss shack by folks at the launch).

So I finally get this shanty home, clean it out and hose the floor and walls down and plant it in the yard. Over time my wife gets sick of looking at it and tells me to move it where she doesn't have to see it every time she looks out the window of the living room. I go move it, the lawn is dead under it. i make ruts across the lawn moving it on the skis and I park it in another spot where it rots in peace for about a year.

Time passes and one crisp autumn night the wife and I decide to have some friends over for a bonfire and beers. After many barley sodas I get the idea to burn the shanty in the fire. My buddies and I proceed to hook onto the shanty with my lawn tractor and tow and push it to the fire. We tipped it into the blaze and up it went, what a fire! It was actually a joyous occassion for me, I felt the burden of the shanty melt away and swore that was the first and last time I would go the hard side shanty route.

I now have a Frabil Refuge portable that I simply love. It is tall enough for me to stand up in, fits the kids and I just fine and folds up into a neat package the size of a big suitcase which stores out of sight in the basement when not in use. It slides over snow or ice like a dream and I can move it all by myself, no machinery required (although I love going out with my Dad and his 4 wheeler since we can tow everything effortlessly).

You are welcome to go whichever way your heart desires but consider my story. Building a hardside is a lot of fun and can be a rewarding process but when you are done and the sawdust is all swept up you will have a new member of your family on your hands. Decide where it will sleep when you aren't using it, how you will move it, will you be able to stand the sight of it as a lawn ornament 8 or 9 months out of the year? Do you want to maintain it?

Whatever you decide I wish you luck and tight lines.

Lavman ;D :tipup:

Offline swampdonkeyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:03 AM »
this is the first and last year i will be using a permanent. Found a good deal on a shappell rover and that seems like a whole lot less work than a permanent. The one i am currently using has already flipped onto its side this year. Yesturday i went out to use it and one of the holes i drilled to anchor it down expanded so much that the shanty was leaning to one side and the hole was big enough for me to go balls deep into champlain with one of my legs. Dont really know what caused that? Maybe the 2 inchs of water on the ice and 40 + degree temps. Really wished i would have just bought a portable instead of building this thing.
fish on

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:12 PM »
    Vtbuck:
I have the portable Command Post by Clam Corp.  It is a great hub design portable and it is big.6 x 12.
I have spent a few nights on champlain in 10 below weather before and it didn't get below 75 degrees in the tent.That's what we stayed in with cots that should be at least 20 inches off the ice.We had no floor in the tent because we wore creepers.I went to area stores and got as much cardboard as i could find and layed that down on the ice for a floor.Worked great.It was the best sleep i ever had outdoors.You just need a wind proof tent.I would do it again in a flash.it was a tent about 10 x 15 or 18 and i heated it with a kerosun heater.Had a great night.Hope this helps you out.

The Command Post is what I was looking at too.  Read a few bad reviews though, but they were a couple of years old.  Any problems with it?  Can't seem to make all of the kids happy all of the time.  Some want a portable, some a permanent, so going to try for both.
Silly rookies, traps are for animals!!  Tilts are for kids!!  Fishermen use tip ups!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2012, 05:47 AM »
I had a hard side before kids and it was nice to be able to just show up at it and fish however it was always a pain to deal with when it was time to put on the ice and take off the ice and store it.  It always seemed like a drama when it was time to get it off the ice due to a sudden warm front that may or may not last.  The kids got old enough to fish so I bought a portable 6 x 8 from Cabela's and the kids love it and we can set up where ever we want each week.  The portables are not with out problems, but what is.  You can see my portable review here.   

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/indexphp?topic=213232.msg2116031#msg2116031

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:19 AM »
     Vtbuck
I never had a problem with mine.The hub design works great.I don't anchor it down unless its windy.I bought the drill attachment to put in the anchors but if you anchor it down the right way they work great.Make sure you tie the hubs down into the anchors cause if its windy the hubs will collapse.I tried taking short cuts and this is what happens.I am glad i bought mine. Good Luck

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:57 AM »
at a crossroads right now.  i have almost everything to start building my shanty, including a nice looking camper heater that i just picked up.  i planned on putting in 3 or 4 bunks, and bringing it up to alburgh.  that is, until i went to the show yesterday.    i am trying to have a place big enough for 6-7 people, 5 of them kids.  all thats left to buy is plywood.  but at the show yesterday i checked out the new portables.  nice.  i then went online(ebay), and saw some really nice clam shelters, including one that is 6 x 10, maybe it was 12'.  checking around, i found on a different site one of these portables ( which have no floor) for 255 on sale.  kids SAY that want to spend a night on the ice, so the portable wouldnt work, but of course with the permanent one, we could.  suggestions?

I would go the hardside route if it were me. Its work, but its worth it in my opinion.

If you do build one, go with the lightest materials that can be fabricated into a sturdy (and warm) haven for the outings. Also, give yourself good clearance when making the skis. A nice wide beaten down trail made by a snowmobile or 2 created the night before saves a bunch of hassle dragging the shack out too.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Having built several hardsides for myself and friends over the last 20 to 30 years, I can vouch for what Bout time is saying ! The Biggest consideration in building a hard side is ground clearance ! A minimum of 12" of clearance will make your life so much easier, 2 runners maximum, mounted on the outside will make blocking up and chopping out a lot easier ! I am a big fan of steel stud framing and metal roof panel siding for both the weight savings, rugged design and long lasting weather proof durability, also deters thieves !
 Hardsides do require a lot of work and maintenance as far as launching, moving, jacking and blocking due to ice melting, snowfall and recovery, no denying it ! You have to decide for yourself if you are willing to put in the time to do it right, there is no set it and forget it with hardsides, but the reward of spending days and night with your children on the ice in a warm and comfortable home away from home on the ice will give you fond memories to last you a lifetime !

Offline hun ter1972

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:19 AM »
the way that the weather is changin during our ice season after my 3rd one i finaly went out an got a claim2000 it works great an the colors r good blue out black in the reason for it cause if the ice changes i dont have to worry bout getting my shanty unfroze i go out with my portable an come home with it i would recommend one to any one

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Oh, I've done the permanent route before, not my first time at it.  Made the mistakes of not having the clearence, not jacking it up, etc.  Thought the kids would ALL be excited, but apparently it isnt going to be easy to satisfy 5 minds.   

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:18 PM »
IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME LOL

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:24 AM »
I prefer NOT to be limited to fishing one location.  Last year I got a Frabil 2 man portable.  Love it!!
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline slimeslopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • that's why that call it fishin, not catching
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:09 AM »
awesome story lavman.  me and a buddy bot a 2-3 man frabill we could stand up in 5 years ago.  still a great shanty tho very tight with 3. 

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2012, 01:14 PM »
I also had this same choice this year as i have three kids that are always wanting to fish! Years ago I had built a nice 4x8 and thinking about it remembered how it went on the lake in december real nice but by the end of march it was a real b!t@# to get off with a couple feet of snow and slush! Me and my buddy took it home and burned the damn thing the day we took it off the lake! This said this year i bought a shappel portable and can even use it a a sled to get my auger and other things easily on and off the ice the same day I slide it on!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:31 AM »
awesome story lavman.  me and a buddy bot a 2-3 man frabill we could stand up in 5 years ago.  still a great shanty tho very tight with 3.

Thanks slimeslopper, it was one of those "life lessons" that makes a good story  ;D

I am thinking about buying a second portable so we have more space. I took the wife and all 3 kids out Saturday and rotated them through the shanty to keep them warmed up, if I had a second portable they can all stay warm and toasty inside.

The gear collecting never ends does it?? ;D ;D

Offline team swampy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I hope there is a knot at the end of that spool!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:50 PM »
 I just got back from fishing on glen lake this past weekend I had my frabill command post anchored to the ice in minutes fished from friday to sunday. when i was done i had it packed in minutes and loaded in the truck. will never build another wooden shanty again just too much work and always requires at least two people to move it.

Offline team swampy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2012, 07:13 PM »
sorry i meant frabill headquarters ::)

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2012, 10:19 PM »
^think I saw you out there on sunday. I was across the bay from what looked like 2 frabill hub shelters.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2012, 11:48 AM »
I just got back from fishing on glen lake this past weekend I had my frabill command post anchored to the ice in minutes fished from friday to sunday. when i was done i had it packed in minutes and loaded in the truck. will never build another wooden shanty again just too much work and always requires at least two people to move it.

Agreed 110%. There are folks talking in another post that had their hard-side shanties vandalized up at the Sandbar, yet another "pro" to go portable.  :tipup:

Offline team swampy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2012, 03:00 PM »
^think I saw you out there on sunday. I was across the bay from what looked like 2 frabill hub shelters.
[/quote  yup that was me i set up the two person just to store extra gear in .]

Offline Jrmcd282

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:03 PM »
My first year with a hard side . Yes a lot of work but man the kids and I are really enjoying it. We have slept out the last 3 weekends  ;D

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:32 PM »
I prefer NOT to be limited to fishing one location.  Last year I got a Frabil 2 man portable.  Love it!!

Ive been to 4 different lakes in about 4 weeks, and fished all around my local 2500 acre lake with my new hardside. It was built solely for being light and highly mobile. I pull it by hand on the lakes, and it loads in the back of an S-10 with little effort.

Its all in how you build the shack.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:55 AM »
Ive been to 4 different lakes in about 4 weeks, and fished all around my local 2500 acre lake with my new hardside. It was built solely for being light and highly mobile. I pull it by hand on the lakes, and it loads in the back of an S-10 with little effort.

Its all in how you build the shack.

Sounds like you built with portability in mind. I think when most folks ponder a hardside they envision a small camp they can sleep in and stretch out in the recliner when the bite is off.

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:45 AM »
My first year with a hard side . Yes a lot of work but man the kids and I are really enjoying it. We have slept out the last 3 weekends  ;D

yes sir and that right there is what life is all about  :)

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2012, 01:31 PM »
My father, cousin and I once made one with portablility in mind.  We ripped 2 x4's in half, made a base small enough to fit in the back of a truck, and built the shanty in two parts.  The bottom half was slightly smaller than the top, and we drilled holes for pins throughtop of the bottom piece and the bottom of the top.  It was made so that you could lift up the sides, insert pins and have it stand six feet, and when they were pulled out, it was half as high and the top slid snugly over the bottom.  We made the exterior out of clear plastic, so that we would have a green house affect when the sun hit it.  Worked great in the parking lot of his house.  The opening night of trout season we headed out, got everything set up that night, with a coleman lantern in the center support beam of the roof.  It got cold that night, so we headed to the truck for a bit to warm up.  After about an hour, and a quick nap, I woke up to see something odd, a light of some sort, on the ice.  We couldn't tell what it was because of the snowbanks.  So, we headed back to the shanty to figure things out, and there was a light spinning like mad insid.  Turns out we hadn't figured in the amount of heat the lantern would throw off, and had hooked it to an eye hook inn the roof.  Over the time we were gone it the heat had charred the support enough to loosen the eye hook which sent the lantern to the ice where the hot lantern had found its way to my hole and was sitting there, spinning like mad, thats where the flashing light was coming from.  Crazy.

Offline vtbuckrulrss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2012, 01:34 PM »
Have the shanty partly built.  Thinking of turning it into either an addition for a similar sized camp at my parents, or putting it in NH in a campground that I use for bear hunting.  I also bought the Clam Command Post last night.  It will arrive tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.