The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: portable shanty vs permanent  (Read 4864 times)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: portable shanty vs permanent
« Reply #30 on: Feb 09, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Gotta pic of your caboose. Please don't take that wrong.
He may be talking about one of these......... http://www.fishingshanty.com/frabill-arctic-caboose-ice-shelter/
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #31 on: Feb 09, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Have the shanty partly built.  Thinking of turning it into either an addition for a similar sized camp at my parents, or putting it in NH in a campground that I use for bear hunting.  I also bought the Clam Command Post last night.  It will arrive tomorrow.

I doubt you will be disappointed with the portable. There are pros and cons to everything we do, bottom line is I hope you have a ball fishing out of the new Command Post and make some fond memories with your friends and family  :tipup:

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 09, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Ive been to 4 different lakes in about 4 weeks, and fished all around my local 2500 acre lake with my new hardside. It was built solely for being light and highly mobile. I pull it by hand on the lakes, and it loads in the back of an S-10 with little effort.

Its all in how you build the shack.

I haven't seen your design, but your hardside might not be quite as "portable" next winter when we have 37 feet of snow to contend with.  The lack of snow this year has been nice.  I pull my 2 man portable and a second sled loaded with gear.....with literally 2 fingers!
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:12 PM »
I haven't seen your design, but your hardside might not be quite as "portable" next winter when we have 37 feet of snow to contend with.  The lack of snow this year has been nice.  I pull my 2 man portable and a second sled loaded with gear.....with literally 2 fingers!

Im sure it will do me fine next winter too.

Heres the build thread. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=203778.0
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Sounds like you built with portability in mind. I think when most folks ponder a hardside they envision a small camp they can sleep in and stretch out in the recliner when the bite is off.

Yeah, I wanted a lightweight shack to use at a bunch of different places.

My "sleeping camp" will be my summer build. LOL
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:20 PM »
[/quorte]

X2. 

I had to go to the bone crusher 2x last year due to pulling my sled and portable thruoght the snow.  A sled would have helped.

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2012, 06:22 PM »
that looks light enough that if you put some snow boards under it,it should float right on top dang near any thing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.