Author Topic: Striker Ice Regular or Striker Ice Lite??  (Read 4043 times)

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
Striker Ice Regular or Striker Ice Lite??
« on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:17 PM »
I'm very interested in purchasing one of the Striker Ice suits.  I don't know which one to choose the Regular or Lite suit.  Has anyone had a chance to test there Stricker Ice suits yet?  I'm really leaning toward the Lite suit but would like some feedback for those who have had a chance to test there suits and at what temps?  I normally fish in Indiana and use my shanty as much as possible.  But on the days when I just want to sit on my bucket and not haul all the gear on the ice I don't know if it will be warm enough.  Any reviews or responses are much appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
Re: Striker Ice Regular or Striker Ice Lite??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:44 PM »
I recently got the regular floating suit, it seems very warm, though I've have not had it on the ice yet
It is a little on the bulky side but I think that is the floatation material more than anything else
I have plenty of room and freedom of movement, I am 6'3" 255lbs and I got 2XL, and glad I did, room for a layer or two
I spend most of my time out in the elements, if you are a shanty fisherman the lite would be a better choice, as I think you would over heat in the regular suit
Hope this helps
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:08 PM »
I have the lite suit and it seems plenty warm for me, at least as warm as my old carhart bibs and jacket.  I've only worn it on the ice once in 30 degree weather, I've wore the jacket outside in the yard when it was in the teens, i do tend to get warm easy.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:12 PM »
If you go to the post striker ice vs arctic armor DL posted all the pics you would want to see of the reg striker suit on the 2nd page of the post.

Striker Ice Lite

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:11 AM »
Get them while you can, retailers are getting cease and desist notices for copyright infringement ! they stepped on someone toes ??

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Get them while you can, retailers are getting cease and desist notices for copyright infringement ! they stepped on someone toes ??

Your source??  What is the copyright they infringed on?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious because I talked at length with Shawn from Striker on Tuesday and there was no mention of this.  He was actually asking me what I thought about a shop in my area as a possible new dealer.

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:52 AM »
spoke to an dealer about about availability of the suit for a friend and he received a cease and desist order and he is no longer carrying the striker line ! Just what I was told ! I hope it is not happening, but I trust my source, it is too bad if it is in motion because I think the striker has really improved on the ice fisherman suit !

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Prolly got it from icearmor cuz they patented the suit with a lifevest in it a few yrs ago.
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:01 AM »
spoke to an dealer about about availability of the suit for a friend and he received a cease and desist order and he is no longer carrying the striker line ! Just what I was told !

That is interesting.  I'm guessing AA sent it out due to flotation.  I don't know the true "chemistry" of the flotation used in either suits, but my understanding is it's basically closed cell foam.  Highly doubt AA holds the rights to closed cell foam.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Prolly got it from icearmor cuz they patented the suit with a lifevest in it a few yrs ago.

You are telling me Ice Armor has been sitting on a floating suit all these years and never once get into the market to give Arctic Armor some competition? 

Sure you are not thinking of Arctic Armor?  If so, they didn't put a "life vest" in it, they just added a thin layer of essentially closed cell foam to add a degree of buoyancy.  Nothing really close to a "life vest" nor coast guard approved.  Same deal for the Striker suits.

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:06 AM »
No names were mentioned as to whom sent the order, just that it was sent ! Like I said, I hope it can be worked out, the feedback and reviews of the striker suits are encouraging !

Vexilar also jumped on the floating suit bandwagon with their early ice gripper jacket !

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:25 AM »
You are telling me Ice Armor has been sitting on a floating suit all these years and never once get into the market to give Arctic Armor some competition? 

Sure you are not thinking of Arctic Armor?  If so, they didn't put a "life vest" in it, they just added a thin layer of essentially closed cell foam to add a degree of buoyancy.  Nothing really close to a "life vest" nor coast guard approved.  Same deal for the Striker suits.
i thought it was ice armor but maybe arctic armor idk. Dont have one my buddy who bought it a few yrs back said he would never buy it again. Says hed get the one with out it and wear a life vest extra cuz the suit with the float in it he says cant move in it
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:44 AM »
i thought it was ice armor but maybe arctic armor idk. Dont have one my buddy who bought it a few yrs back said he would never buy it again. Says hed get the one with out it and wear a life vest extra cuz the suit with the float in it he says cant move in it

Hmm, that doesn't even sound like the AA suit which is a pretty thin suit and as I understand, easy to move in.

My only other thought for who served the papers, could be Ice Armor, but not for flotation reasons.  Check out the Ice Armor coat side by side with the Striker Ice non-floating suit.  Pockets and stitching patterns are very similar.  A little less similar (but still close to the Ice Armor) with the Ice and Ice Lite floating suits.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2012, 01:30 PM »
very interesting.. i just ordered my striker lite floating suit saturday.i hope i get mine before the hammer comes down geez..figures id go with a suit that has copyright problems.haha

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:34 PM »
spoke to an dealer about about availability of the suit for a friend and he received a cease and desist order and he is no longer carrying the striker line ! Just what I was told ! I hope it is not happening, but I trust my source, it is too bad if it is in motion because I think the striker has really improved on the ice fisherman suit !
I visited that same dealer and saw the letter, I bought and have taken delivery of one from one of the online dealers.
IDI is claiming patent infringement, but do not have a patent, only an application under review.
The idea of a floating suit is not new and Mustang should be first  in line not IDI
I have my suit now and really like it,  I just need some ice to go on
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Yes it's true cease and desist orders have been given out to all Striker dealers. And yes its Arctic Armor causing the stink. I talked to a gentlemen at Red Rock Store for 30 minutes about the subject. He says Striker will continue to make and sell their suits to the public and everyone should ignore the cease and desist orders. Arctic Armor's patent is only under review and besides the material used by Striker is completely different then Arctic Armor's. He also says they are just pissed off because Striker made a better quality suit then Arctic Armor and they will stand by it unlike Arctic Armor who's customer service frankly SUCKS!! Nothing to worry about he says it will probably go to court then be thrown out. That's what he was told by the owner of Striker himself. He also read Arctic Armors supposed patent and the funny thing is that no where on the patent does it meantion floating material or even that the suit floats at all. Arctic Armor is just another typical statistic. SUE HAPPY GREADY PEOPLE!!

surflizard

« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:05 PM »
That is good news, Striker Ice is going to be a big part of ice fishing in the immediate future !

Offline Skinnybenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasin' Only Monsters,Catchin' Only Bait
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I live in Indiana and went with the regular I love it but if I were gonna buy it again I would go with the lite the regular is built like a brick **** house (it's a good thing) haha it's really warm but almost overkill in like 30 degree weather I'd almost prefer a little less so I could get away with more than just my wicking base layer
Give a man a Fish,Feed him for a day:Teach Him to Fish And He will Be Preoccupied the rest of his Life

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Yes it's true cease and desist orders have been given out to all Striker dealers. And yes its Arctic Armor causing the stink. I talked to a gentlemen at Red Rock Store for 30 minutes about the subject. He says Striker will continue to make and sell their suits to the public and everyone should ignore the cease and desist orders. Arctic Armor's patent is only under review and besides the material used by Striker is completely different then Arctic Armor's. He also says they are just pissed off because Striker made a better quality suit then Arctic Armor and they will stand by it unlike Arctic Armor who's customer service frankly SUCKS!! Nothing to worry about he says it will probably go to court then be thrown out. That's what he was told by the owner of Striker himself. He also read Arctic Armors supposed patent and the funny thing is that no where on the patent does it meantion floating material or even that the suit floats at all. Arctic Armor is just another typical statistic. SUE HAPPY GREADY PEOPLE!!

That's good to hear that Striker will continue on.  Macchia, those were my exact thoughts when I first heard about the orders today -- that IDI is pissed off and feeling the pressure of a competitor.  They stood alone atop the floating suit industry for quite some time and got competent.  Now they are on their heels and the only thing IDI can think to do is cry foul.  I don't have any doubt that it will be thrown out in court, but it is too bad that Shawn will have to waste his time and money to fight some frivolous crap like this.

As for the question about which suit in Indiana.  From your post, I would go with the Lite suit.  If you spend a good deal of time in your shack, the Lite should be plenty, especially if you run a heater.  Though, you may find yourself using your shack less and less, as I have this year with my Lite suit!  This weekend should be a better test, highs in the teens and windy.  Who knows, might actually have to flip my tent over for once.  I can say for sure, the Lite suit does a fine job keeping the wind off you and the knees -- bone dry after a day on the ice and kneeling by the holes a lot.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:08 AM »
Used my new regular floating suit today
0 degrees, 20 mph wind with higher gust
I was warm and toasty, very comfortable
Easy to move around in, the padded knees are fantastic
First trip out, I am impressed with how well it performed
Pirk

Offline Novak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:10 PM »

I need to get on ordering my jacket before something happens!!  I agree though, Striker makes a far superior product and why wouldn't AA cry about it.  I have the regular bibs and they are AMAZING.  I have been out in single digit temps and I was warm as ever.  They are not too bulky, not too heavy and are amazing quality.  I am going to purchase the matching regular jacket this week to have both.

~Novak

Offline IceKrystal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2012, 03:01 AM »
IDI pulling a stunt like that, I'm glad I purchased the Striker Ice suit over Arctic Armor. I will continue to recommend Striker Ice to my buddies and anyone looking for a suit. I was out in 20 degree temps with 15mph wind and was toasty warm with just a boxer and a t-shirt. I would recommend the Lite version for anyone going in and out of a shanty, fish in warmer temperature or pull their own gear.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:08 AM »
That lawsuit is ridiculous! I've wore my striker regular suit out a few times now, and I love it.  Functionally it's great!  The pockets and zips are all very conveniently placed.  The venting is a life saver!!  I walked 4km last weekend in it and zipped open the pits, and used the 3-way leg zip to vent at the knees...boy did that make a HUGE difference!  I also wore it this weekend, 8 hours on the ice both days in -15 to -20 weather, sitting on a bucket.  I was toasty warm with only a wicking polypropylene (not warm) base layer...and I normally run pretty cold.  I often forgot I had the vents open, it's that warm.  When I did break a sweat, it seemed to evaporate quickly and I was NEVER wet or cold. 

Awesome suit!!
Tight lines

Offline hobobob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:07 AM »
Another satisfy customer for the striker suit.  I contacted the striker with a few questions. Got an very detailed answer within 24 hr. Now that's customer service.

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:44 PM »
I wore my striker lite suit out on the ice for six hours today it was in the mid to high 20s with a 10-15 mph wind.  I stayed warm with my jacket open most of the time, I had a base layer and a hoodie on under,  I can't imagine how warm the regular suit would be. I'm glad I got the lite suit, I would prob cook in the regular.    ;D

Striker Ice Lite

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:48 AM »
I just skip the warming layer...I use a wicking base layer (not too thermal) and then the suit...it's nice!
Tight lines

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:32 PM »
i just got a striker lite suit delivered today.went out and stood in the yard with a tshirt and sweatpants for awhile and this thing is warm and comfortable.cant wait for safe ice around here the temps are falling slowly though.

Offline colsac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2012, 04:14 PM »
I have the striker lite.  Last time out was +12F winds at 10-15.  Jeans and a lite weight sweatshirt underneath.  Jacket open most of the time.  I was warm and comfortable.

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Thanks for all the info much appreciated. I'm going to order mine on Thursday. Going with the Striker Ice Lite Suit. One more question though. I'm 6' 2" and 190lbs. Waist 36" and Chest 44". It shows with the sizing chart I need a large, but how is the sizing of the suit. How is the fit? Does the suit run small or large? I'm debating on going with the X-Large. Just want to be sure I buy the right one the first time and allow for layering under the suit. Again thanks a lot. Can't wait to get mine.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:34 AM »
I'm 6'1", 180lbs, 36 waist and I got the Large.  It fits great...maybe a little "tall and thin" on the fit.  I have the regular suit, and I think it's a BIT snugger than the lite suit due to extra insulation.  I have room for a few layers but don't need them at all.  I'd say the sizing chart is pretty accurate...but the do fit "tall" (i.e. legs are pretty long), but they can be 'hemmed' with included sizing velcro...works well.
Tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.