The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How Much Info?  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How Much Info?
« on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:38 PM »
How Much Info do you post?

Since many of us are without ice for a couple more days, or longer, I thought this might be something to talk about. Based on a few other topics, it seems to be on many folks minds.

My feelings are that this is a public forum and people are free to post as much, or as little information, as they want. They can post exact GPS cords, or post that they were somewhere in the State, or they can post something in between.........

I generally post the lake, ice thickness, the depth where I was catching fish and the basic structure that I was on and will let folks try to figure it out from there.
Having said that, I completely understand why someone would not want to post what lake they are fishing, especially when safe ice is hard to find. And even more so if that person is concerned about the quality of the fishing in a small lake, since many ice anglers feel compelled to catch and fillet........

So, how much info do you give ???????????????
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How Much Info?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I have no problem posting ice conditions on lakes etc. Some say you must go out & look for yourself etc etc and spend your own gas/time  and dont sponge on others. Immature attitude to say the least.

Having limited safe ice should be NO CONCERN whatsover regarding what you share with others.. If I catch fish on a lake...no problem reporting lake location, ice conditions, type of fish, bait used, time of day caught, where i safely accessed ice & soooooo on(obviously not GPS coords)!!  Anything less than this...i dont wanna even see your fish pics!! The level of immaturity in some recent posters here in connection with  this area is totally disheartening to say the least. >:(  If the overall membership base here has any other motives in the venue re not sharing such with fellow sportsmen...this site should be immediately closed down IMO since it would be a totally worthless site.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:02 PM »
I'll post info for bites and ice.  Safety is good for all we all have somebody waiting for us... An the bite I just wont give you my exact locaLE

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Just enough to let people know, not enough to have them fish next to me!  ;)2 :icefish:

In all honesty, we do most of our fishing on a private lake, so it dosent really matter how much info I give...on the other hand, if its public water, Ill generally tell thickness and how we did...Im not going to disclose GPS coordinates, color, depth, bait, etc....unless you PM me....POSSIBLY! :woot:
Im all for giving info, but at the same time I believe others have to work for it and I dont give handouts...if ya know what I mean...IM NOT THE US GOVERNMENT! :wacko:

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Well Loggy................. ...................her e is how I feel about this post;

If I catch fish on a lake...no problem reporting lake location, ice conditions, type of fish, bait used, time of day caught, where i safely accessed ice & soooooo on(obviously not GPS coords)!!  Anything less than this...i dont wanna even see your fish pics!! The level of immaturity in some recent posters here in connection with  this area is totally disheartening to say the least.

I think that would be great, except it has not happened.

I mean, you are calling others "immature" because they have not publicly posted as much information as you say you WOULD.

I mean, you have a post count of 168. And as far as I can tell, 5 of those were in the "conditions & reports" section. And, please correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those posts actually included a report on conditions or
lake location, ice conditions, type of fish, bait used, time of day caught, where i safely accessed ice & soooooo
?

So, that leads me to think that you are bad mouthing others for not providing as much information as you want, yet they are providing much more than you have????????????

Now you might think I'm buddy-buddy with posters who you feel have dissed you, like the SKI. Just to clarify, I have been at odds with him on many occasions, but it's his choice on what to post.

And, when you get to the point where you are providing as much information as you are asking for................... I'm sure it will flow freely.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:47 PM »
First of all I knew this topic would appear at some point, and I'm glad it did. And I feel the same as most of you that contribute to this forum. I too, do most of my fishing on private bodies of water, and don't feel the need to report on those trips as most people wouldn't benefit from my posts anyway.

I do however like to post current ice conditions and report on how the fishing was when I fished those public waters. As to exact location on those lakes,  I don't think this was ever the purpose or intention of this fourm. There are a few IS members that I like to share that kind of info with, and they in return share the same with me...

Let's face it with everyone's lives so busy in this day and age, and so limited time to fish, I figure if I can help someone decide where to fish on their only day off, just by posting ice conditions, and how the fish are hitting, than I'm doing my part. Just my 2 cents on the subject, for what it's worth......

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:58 PM »
I try to be as helpful as I can. Before I found IS i really only fished 2 or 3 local lakes blindly with my dad, as I had for most of my life. Then I started reading posts from other user about different places and found out how to get there and what I was fishing for and with. I don't like being elbow to elbow fishing with other people but I think it is great meeting some of the guys on here and sharing a common interest. I think the late ice up is making everyone a little chippy. when all we want is to know where it is safe to get out without killing yourself or someone else. But I thank Marshrat ( without his posts I probably wouldn't have started fishing at Hills Creek, or Hamilton) John T ( found out more info and places to go at Blanchard ) And a number of others who made me know that driving an hour or so wouldn't be a waist of fuel or time. If you want to keep your honey holes go ahead, but you never know when someone else will share theirs with you for being helpful or just kind. Ice is coming state wide soon..........or so I hope.

Offline Loggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2012, 07:31 PM »
Well Loggy................. ...................her e is how I feel about this post;

I think that would be great, except it has not happened.

I mean, you are calling others "immature" because they have not publicly posted as much information as you say you WOULD.

I mean, you have a post count of 168. And as far as I can tell, 5 of those were in the "conditions & reports" section. And, please correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those posts actually included a report on conditions or ?

So, that leads me to think that you are bad mouthing others for not providing as much information as you want, yet they are providing much more than you have????????????

Now you might think I'm buddy-buddy with posters who you feel have dissed you, like the SKI. Just to clarify, I have been at odds with him on many occasions, but it's his choice on what to post.

And, when you get to the point where you are providing as much information as you are asking for................... I'm sure it will flow freely.

WOW!!!   Just joined IS site a coupla weeks ago so give me a break my friend.  I've  primarily been posting/sharing re equipment information as im upgrading.  Man,,,,,talking bout definition re who someone who needs to chill a lil...lookin in Webster...I see Byron/PA jumpin out at me. ???

BTW...in retrospect...i merely asked SKI where he was fishin at!! LOL

AH...I am flattered though that  you analyze my post count plus even where im postin!! Ha, Ha, Ha Talkin bout someone who needs to get a life. ::)

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:08 PM »
  I feel that the only thing that needs to be posted is ice thickness and if there is deep snow or slush on the ice so that people can prepare themselves.
 It used to be that IS and other sites that I go to were places where you could go to learn, Now, alot of these sites have degraded to slug fests any time some one posts.
 I feel that if you live close to a lake and you want to post ice conditions do so, but, if you are going to post pics and a report do not bash someone for inquiring!
 When I was a kid, people who fished and hunted were called SPORTSMAN I can honestly say that I do not see it much these days.

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:38 PM »
I'll post ice thickness and other safety items and perhaps general terms about the fishing but none too specific.  I don't want to see anyone get hurt out there so that is my basis in posting about conditions and I would hope that we would all do likewise.  I find fishing spots through my own diligence or with friends and am not going to give them away to the world willy-nilly.  Put your time in and you'll appreciate it more when you strike gold.  If I meet you on the ice and we get along then I'm sure we'll trade some info but it sure seems that PA is bursting at the seams with hunters and fisherman all too eager to "get their limit".  No quality spot could take the pounding it would get if listed here or anywhere on the internet.

I'm not mean spirited.  Just a realistic sportsman seeking to keep the wilds wild and not so overly crowded in any one spot.  Have fished a time or 2 with you Byron (on Walker).  We get along fine.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Ooops, forgot to say to Byron that Loggy does have a legit cause for not posting spot details if he just joined recently.  We haven't had enough safe ice this season for hardly anyone to get out anywhere so this would make it hard for him to post on that.  Loggy, it's up to you what level of info you want to handout when the time comes.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:51 PM »
I have found that if I post more than ice thickness, the next day when I go back to a lake that I had success on, I am surrounded by 10 times or more people fishing that area, with pics from another site of a guy with a 5 gallon pail full of 4-5" bluegills and perch.   If anyone needs information from the Public lakes I fish on OTHER than ice conditions and such...shoot me a PM , I will be glad to share information....I have learned not to post more than that.....

Byron, good luck with the tournament this weekend, I hope it all goes well for you !

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:12 PM »
I have no problem posting ice conditions on lakes etc. Some say you must go out & look for yourself etc etc and spend your own gas/time  and dont sponge on others. Immature attitude to say the least.

(  If the overall membership base here has any other motives in the venue re not sharing such with fellow sportsmen...this site should be immediately closed down IMO since it would be a totally worthless site.

It's statements like those that tend to get people cranked up. You may want to pose your "where ya fishing" questions in the
form of a personal message to the poster. you would be suprised at the info you can receive. Lots of guys, myself included, have
posted detailed reports in the past about small public waters only to have them decimated by crowds that would never have been there
if it hadnt' been posted on an open forum. Water can support only so many fish, and fishermen.
Jim K.

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2012, 04:09 AM »
Just enough to let people know, not enough to have them fish next to me!  ;)2 :icefish:

In all honesty, we do most of our fishing on a private lake, so it dosent really matter how much info I give...

ohhhhh -- you will give the info up - after I juice it outta ya via a couple pitchers of Bud. ;D

p.s. - last meeting our head honcho said we may be able to drill holes in the latest water hole acquisition.

Offline americanfisher77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:46 AM »
I am indifferent on the subject I mean if you post directions to,
 a pre drilled hole that was hot yesterday expect someone to be fishing it the next day, if you don't want to post then don't ,

I would rather find a new friend go to a new lake and try a new hole. Which it's going to be hard enough to find someone to fish with since I'm in southwest pa and ice sucks down here right now

Post freely but remember to honor others in doing so
yes it's true i am a HARDWATER HOOKER!!!

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:12 AM »
 I will post info about conditions(none yet here in SE Pa ;D). Unless you're fishing a small pond I think it's going to be hard to hurt the population on lake X by saying there's 4" of ice on it. Will more people show up yes but that's due to the lack of ice than anything else. In a normal year I'm not going to run half way across the state just because Joe posted some nice crappie out of lake X. Now if lake X gives some up to Tom, Richard and Harry 2years running then I might make a trip. (PS... I'm CP+R)

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline americanfisher77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:01 AM »
Icemole where is lake x I would like to catch a mess of crappie and 4" is ok
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

yes it's true i am a HARDWATER HOOKER!!!

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:23 AM »
i have no secrets i'll give any info need for someone to go and have a good time, most of you know where i fish and who i fish with, and most of my posts have pic's  ;D i cant wait till we can get on the ice 

Offline trophysteve58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Hey guys love reading your posts specialy when your argueing, But you guys do give out alot of good information, all I need to know is your getting out somewhere and i'll figure the rest out. Thanks keep the good reports coming.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:02 AM »
It's statements like those that tend to get people cranked up. You may want to pose your "where ya fishing" questions in the
form of a personal message to the poster. you would be suprised at the info you can receive
. Lots of guys, myself included, have
posted detailed reports in the past about small public waters only to have them decimated by crowds that would never have been there
if it hadnt' been posted on an open forum. Water can support only so many fish, and fishermen.

Like I said on the other thread, everyone who took the time to send me a pm got the info they were after. So far this season I've answered more info via pms to more guys (including a few new guys  ;) ) than I probably have in the past few on the public boards including giving up tips on getting eyes through the ice (including areas on specific bodies of water), where there is ice right now, ect ect.

As Byron said, we've had it out a few times over the years over a few different things but at the end of the day I respect his views as I'm sure he does mine. Would I fish with him if I was gonna be around the same lake, sure would.
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:45 AM »
My intention is not to be conceded or stuck-up but I have spent a tremendous amount of time working at being successful hunting, fishing, and trapping over many years.  I see no need to give out locations.  I have had others in the past become upset with me because I would not reveal where I was at.  As I’ve seen threads trash locations.  And I’ve seen threads that others post about stuff that they heard, or found out by others, that trash the other person’s locations.  Some people just do not understand how much work is put into being successful year in year out. 

I do however think information should be shared.  If someone wants to know what lake I fish, how to get there, what I use, what’s the bite like, ice, or weather conditions let me know.  They should be able to ask anyone and receive a reply, help a brother out.  Those questions and answer will not hurt your location.  I’m not say give you G.P.S. cords.  If you want to know what area I’m fishing probably not going to give that one out.  If someone’s new to ice fishing and they need some advice they should be able to ask questions and receive honest answers from those of use with experience.  You can be helpful without hurting yourself or others.  So be helpful if you can without hurting your locations or the locations of others.

The thing I cannot understand is why do people think they are so entitled that they can talk to others the way they do?  My son is Autistic there’s no need to call people a retard.  There is no need for allot of these senseless comments.  I fairly confident you would not say the things you say to others online in person or at least more than once in person before you realized what appropriate conversation are about.   

Share the information you would like to share, keep the rest to yourself.  If you would like to post a pick please do so as many of us enjoy them, if someone asks were give up the lake, not the location.  If it goes further than that be polite about and move on.  If you do not want the questions don’t post the pick.  If you are not sharing do not expect others to share with you.  P.M.’s are a good thing for asking questions and sharing information.  If you are ne ask question you should able to without being put down. 

Be Safe,

Snapper         

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:33 PM »
I think the other thread – the catalyst for this thread – is really all about the timing. In a normal year where there's 150-200 anglers visiting these small Pocono Lakes on a regular basis… Sure, posting the normal content is not really going to bring much more pressure than already exists.

But this season, where you've got hundreds of guys chomping at the bit since Thanksgiving, all looking for at least one lake with safe ice? No way, there would be a small army concentrated on a single location within 12 hours. Some of these lakes only have one access point… and it doesn't take much to booger up the only access given the barely passable conditions in 2012.

Just look at how many people view these threads… with about 90% being lurkers.

Personal message is the way to go. I've played the information "give and take" for many years on IS (and other sites). Scratch someone's back and they'll scratch yours. That is how sportsmen interact. If you go the route of garnishing public pressure to try and guilt a guy into giving up a location that he obviously logged a lot of miles, hours, and elbow grease to locate… that's more along the lines of sense of entitlement (and that's the most polite way I can think of to say that).

Tight lines… I hope the ice arrives soon for the masses in PA/NJ. If not, river walleyes and/or stream trout should get you through the possibility of an iceless Jan/Feb. In fact, feel free to PM me if you would like some info on either!  ;)

Offline slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2012, 02:08 PM »
My intention is not to be conceded or stuck-up but I have spent a tremendous amount of time working at being successful hunting, fishing, and trapping over many years.  I see no need to give out locations.  I have had others in the past become upset with me because I would not reveal where I was at.  As I’ve seen threads trash locations.  And I’ve seen threads that others post about stuff that they heard, or found out by others, that trash the other person’s locations.  Some people just do not understand how much work is put into being successful year in year out. 

Be Safe,

Snapper       

I agree 100% with your post. One of my crappie spots (5 or 6 years ago) went from myself and 3 or 4 others to looking like a small village at night. Now you are lucky to bring home 5 keepers while sorting thru 50 silver dollars....
YOU'RE IN MY HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:40 PM »
 Do have to say, I like how this topic is turning out. Some very good posts, and if you notice we're all pretty much on the same page.

I myself drill hundreds of holes each season to find spots holding good numbers of quality fish. On private and public bodies of water. Now I would just like some good ice, so I can start reporting on my trips out...... Maybe I'll even throw ya a bone now and then :-)  :-)  :-) ............

Offline Frozenn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:06 PM »
You can tell by the  amount of posts I have that I'm a new comer to this site, as well as a beginner to ice fishing. I will come on and ask for ice conditions for the lake I plan to fish, and that would be all I'd want to know. As a sportsman, wether I'm fishing or hunting, the chase to me is just as important as killing a deer or landing a fish. I learn allot more by going out on the lake and finding a spot on my own, then someone telling me where the fish are being caught on the lake. At this time I might not have the days that some of the oldtimers have, but when I have a good day and the plan I put together works, you can imagine the personal satisfaction I have leaving the lake. With experiance I  will do better, and have producive days on the water. I don't judge anybody, but I feel if you do the legwork, you'll get more out of the sport then just sitting at a computer and having other fisherman tell you where to go.
That being said, I would have no problem telling someone what lake I was on and what I caught, but as far as giving up locations, I would not give exact locations, and I'll tell you why. Before moving to PA I was a saltwater fisherman for 40yrs. On a number of occasions while pre-fishing a tournament, I'd give the locations of were I caught fish to 1 or 2 friends in the marina asking them to keep it to themselves. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to get to the spot you found after hours of running and trying different areas, only to find 15-20 boats from my marina anchored were I wanted to fish. How do you think those other boats found out? I'm sure I don't have to tell you.

Get out there, do the legwork, you'll appreciate the sport that much more.

Offline snuffcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:17 PM »

I do however think information should be shared.  If someone wants to know what lake I fish, how to get there, what I use, what’s the bite like, ice, or weather conditions let me know.  They should be able to ask anyone and receive a reply, help a brother out.  Those questions and answer will not hurt your location.  I’m not say give you G.P.S. cords.  If you want to know what area I’m fishing probably not going to give that one out.  If someone’s new to ice fishing and they need some advice they should be able to ask questions and receive honest answers from those of use with experience.  You can be helpful without hurting yourself or others.  So be helpful if you can without hurting your locations or the locations of others.

The thing I cannot understand is why do people think they are so entitled that they can talk to others the way they do?  My son is Autistic there’s no need to call people a retard.  There is no need for allot of these senseless comments.  I fairly confident you would not say the things you say to others online in person or at least more than once in person before you realized what appropriate conversation are about.   

Share the information you would like to share, keep the rest to yourself.  If you would like to post a pick please do so as many of us enjoy them, if someone asks were give up the lake, not the location.  If it goes further than that be polite about and move on.  If you do not want the questions don’t post the pick.  If you are not sharing do not expect others to share with you.  P.M.’s are a good thing for asking questions and sharing information.  If you are ne ask question you should able to without being put down. 

Be Safe,

Snapper       

Snapper, that's one of the best posts I've ever read on this site. Well done.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:04 PM »
i have no secrets i'll give any info need for someone to go and have a good time, most of you know where i fish and who i fish with, and most of my posts have pic's  ;D i cant wait till we can get on the ice
Hey, you fish with that clem guy don't ya?

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:47 PM »
i post were i fish and what i catch people know who i fish with and were
if some body wants to know more i will tell you what im using  spend some time out on the lakes  and you will see were people are fishing and catching
dont be afraid to try a new spot it just might suprise you

Offline oneman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2012, 01:13 AM »
I think that this thread is more about the frustration of this season than anything else. I remember last year some guys posting pics of some great walleye they caught at Glendale and people asking where on Glendale they were fishing. If I had the stringer of fish they had there is no way I wouild tell anybody. To me knowing they were fishing Glendale was plenty of info. This year however a place having safe ice is basically the same thing. I have no doubt that there would be a army converging on the place. I will say this however, if you post pics of nice fish or that you were even ice fishing at all this season you have no right to be mad at anybody but yourself for letting that info out there. Of course people are going to ask, did you really think they wouldn't. I just hope this upcoming cold spell lasts long enough for us all to get out on the ice.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:56 AM »
I did not see a post like this one last season when we all had great ice for so long. It will come if we all just calm down and be ready.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.