Author Topic: Is there any reason to pick the Lowrance x67c over the Marcum VX-1 Pro?  (Read 9400 times)

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
Finally received my ice machine today.  Any tips or tricks from the people that already run one?  I'm pretty new to any fish finder at all so recognizing things is going to be something I need to learn (weeds and cover). 

We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Tinker

I learned by using, am currently looking to upgrade my eagle fish easy 320c with the low x67c.  Weeds are hard for me to pick out but I do see them, I found that by watching my jig stop at the bottom but was still going on the rod, yep not the bottom but weed cover.  I should have know as the bottom showed at about 10' but the number display stated the depth was 12'.  As for what the heck am I looking at, it took a while for me to get mine set up to see the jig, then once you pick it up you know what it is by the jigging action.  The first fish that I knew was there was hooked on the dead stick, I got him out the hole and notice my sonar showed a heavy streak rising, it was like the light bulb just turned on!!  I would suggest you fish with one line and not within 20 or so feet of anyone else till you get the hang of it.  You buddies jig going up and down will really mess with you until you know what your looking for.  Once you find your jig just wait for the blob to appear, lift your jig and if the blob follows its a fish.  Your next challenge is to remember your are fishing and not playing a video game, I have missed way too many bites because I was concentrated on the sonar and not the rod in my hand.  Good luck.  Oh and don't forget you should be able to go back to factory settings if you get it so messed up you can't see anything.

Tinker

Okay, I have learned that my skimmer transducer is actually as much as a 60 degree cone depending on sensetivity settings.  So staying 20' away from others when learning is likely overkill.  I believe ice transducers are typically 20 degree cones some are 8 degree and some are dual.  Still learning....

Offline Rukus3

• IceShanty Rookie
All you x67 guys will attack me but how can a 240$ unit that is both graph and flasher be as good as a 400 dollar flasher if my primary use is ice fishing?  I am skeptical of a cross over unit.  The flat screen should have no issue for me but ALL crossover stuff I can think of do not work as well as either of the first products.
(Just so you know I am deciding x67 vs. FL-18 genz pack.)
Thanks

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
All you x67 guys will attack me but how can a 240$ unit that is both graph and flasher be as good as a 400 dollar flasher if my primary use is ice fishing?  I am skeptical of a cross over unit.  The flat screen should have no issue for me but ALL crossover stuff I can think of do not work as well as either of the first products.
(Just so you know I am deciding x67 vs. FL-18 genz pack.)
Thanks

Do some you tube searches for the x67 and you'll see.  Once you use the x67 in graph mode, those "wheels" will be a thing of the past for you.  Seriously.  If you do like the wheels, the x67 is every bit as good as the vex, and it's QUIET.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
All you x67 guys will attack me but how can a 240$ unit that is both graph and flasher be as good as a 400 dollar flasher if my primary use is ice fishing?  I am skeptical of a cross over unit. 

I am not going to attack you, I felt the exact same way and that is why the first unit I purchased was a Vexilar, years went by and I wanted another unit for the ice but at the same time I primarily needed it for the bow of my boat.  I purchased the X67c this ice season knowing that it would get the job done on the ice but I did not think it would compare to the Vexilar.   I will say that the graph mode is what excels on these units but the flasher mode is every bit as good as a FL18 or even better. So how can a $240 unit be better than a $400 dollar unit ? Somehow Lowrance and also Humminbird have figured out how to do this with there LCD finder's.  I will never have another mechanical flasher again.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I am not going to attack you, I felt the exact same way and that is why the first unit I purchased was a Vexilar, years went by and I wanted another unit for the ice but at the same time I primarily needed it for the bow of my boat.  I purchased the X67c this ice season knowing that it would get the job done on the ice but I did not think it would compare to the Vexilar.   I will say that the graph mode is what excels on these units but the flasher mode is every bit as good as a FL18 or even better. So how can a $240 unit be better than a $400 dollar unit ? Somehow Lowrance and also Humminbird have figured out how to do this with there LCD finder's.  I will never have another mechanical flasher again.

yes what he said.  you will be very happy with the lowrance if thats what you end up getting.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
yes what he said.  you will be very happy with the lowrance if thats what you end up getting.

x3

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
4X
Spend the 400 beans if you want but you will regret it the graph mode is as good as it gets IMO.
If you get your colors set up good no bottom hugger can get by you.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
anyone used the elite 4 yet?  I saw it on line but im not sure how much of a upgrade it would be from the x67. 

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
Well my luck isn't great.  The unit I got will power on and display the demo/simulation but when you turn that off and try to take a reading it doesn't read anything.  I guess I'll be packing it up and sending it back to Reed's in hope of getting one that is in proper working order.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well my luck isn't great.  The unit I got will power on and display the demo/simulation but when you turn that off and try to take a reading it doesn't read anything.  I guess I'll be packing it up and sending it back to Reed's in hope of getting one that is in proper working order.

does it read depth in the water?  I get like that when I move to deeper water and it spooks me for a second then i realize I have to change my lower limit.  Ive had mine out 6 times and not one issue with it not working and my buddy has used his a couple more times then mine and they have both worked flawlessly. 

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
Was in the water on the water. Reading flashed 38 ft in 14 feet of water and nothing else, wouldn't change lifted or lowered. Any idea?

Offline buckwheat

• IceShanty Rookie
go to menu button and find the reset options. Reset to factory options. Put it on auto depth that way it will show you the whole water column. then you can use the zoom to narrow the water column to the bottom 8 ft or so. I have a LMS 522c and use it year round. Awesome units IMO. Good Luck.

Offline buckwheat

• IceShanty Rookie
If depth is flashing it is not reading bottom. Wait till depth is NOT flashing. Takes few minutes sometime. Good Luck

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If depth is flashing it is not reading bottom. Wait till depth is NOT flashing. Takes few minutes sometime. Good Luck

could that be a sensitivty issue?  mine never takes to long to find bottom?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.