Author Topic: Is there any reason to pick the Lowrance x67c over the Marcum VX-1 Pro?  (Read 9399 times)

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
I've been looking at both and I've been reading reviews on here.  I am looking for something entry level ($250-$300) and these are the two options that I came up with.  I'm not really interested in throwing any other names into the pot at this point.  I don't have any experience with flashers.  We have a fish TV but that'll only show me what's at the bottom typically.  We fish a lot of 10 ft water but up to 30 ft.  Possibly deeper but we suck at fishing deep water, maybe a flasher would help us there.

I know this has been beat over and the answer is going to be something like, "either flasher is better than no flasher" or "pick the one with the options you like" but I was wondering if anyone has tried both and has an opinion. 

Thanks!

We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
X67 will do more.
Graph mode and flasher.
It will convert to go on a boat kayak canoe.
VX-1 is just a flasher.
I was in the same boat as you and decided to sell and upgrade my boat sonar.
With that money I got the skimmer + $ towards the X67.
I'm very glad I got the X67 you will love it.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
X67 will do more.
Graph mode and flasher.
It will convert to go on a boat kayak canoe.
VX-1 is just a flasher.
I was in the same boat as you and decided to sell and upgrade my boat sonar.
With that money I got the skimmer + $ towards the X67.
I'm very glad I got the X67 you will love it.
Do you need a separate transducer for use on a canoe or boat?  I had seen some mention of that and it sounded like it was a pricey part, which if so I could get a different unit just for on a canoe/boat for the same price (basically). 

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
The other transducer you will need is called a Lowrance Transom-Mount Skimmer Transducer.
Its about 75$ may get it cheaper on Amazon.
You will never get a better unit for that price.
So 250+75 is 325 and the VX-1 will be about 300 or so for just a flasher.
That is how I saw it.
Thomas Harris

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
buy online at reeds and you can get into a x67c ice machine for 237.50 delivered to your door. 

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
That's where I got mine reeds is great to deal with.
Thomas Harris

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
buy online at reeds and you can get into a x67c ice machine for 237.50 delivered to your door.
I saw in a different post that you just received one for christmas, have you gotten out with it yet?  Have you had flashers before?

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
I purchased an X67C as a Christmas gift for myself and this is my review of it in a nutshell.

Pro's : The sonar mode is amazing, with the multiple zoom levels, adjustable zoom to anywhere in the water column and split screen.
: The flasher mode has the same 6' bottom lock as the FL18 and it works just as well.
 : I love the color option's
 : It worked flawlessly not more than 1 1/2 feet from my Vexilar FL8, zero interference from either.

Con's: The new ice package is gimicky and I had to drill new holes and remount the gimbal bracket to make the case effective.
 : It is not a pull out of the box and catch fish immediately system like the Marcum's, Vex's and Bird's it does have a little bit of a learning curve but I quickly figured it out and it didn't take long to familiarize myself with the menu's to adjust ping speed, noise rejection, sensitivity and surface clarity.

Just to add if you want to go with the Marcum you can get one from Glennsoutdoors for $240.00.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
You have to decide whether the additional features of the 67 are of any value to you. If you like the graph function then the decision is  no brainer. The 67 is also quiet, has incredible battery life and the color display is a big bonus.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
I saw in a different post that you just received one for Christmas, have you gotten out with it yet?  Have you had flashers before?

Ya but off docks and in a boat >:(
I've had it for 2 months and just got the skimmer for Christmas the day after I put it on the boat and trolled a small pond. When I found fish I put the ice deuce on I got over them and jigged up a bunch of nice perch with my ice rod. It was so cool to be able to do that.
I have used a flasher before but not much I never really got comfortable with one.
I had to spend wisely and that combo just made cents to me.
The Icepack is cheesy but the unit inside is what counts.
Thomas Harris

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
The best thing about the 67 is the fact you have many options as stated, flasher mode,graph mode and for 75 you can get a skimmer transducer to use in a small boat and it is portable..but if you want a flasher for just ice fishing the Marcum VX-1pro is the best bang for a flasher.I have owned them both still use the 67 as a back up for my LX-5.and REEDS  Zach or REDROCK Joe are both great guys to deal with and will help you decide good luck

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
So there isn't really any reason to get the Marcum unless I want something that has no bells and whistles?  Now I'm definitely leaning towards the ice machine.  The hokey ice packaging, does it at least do the job? 

We have been fishing in a shanty with two holes next to each other and one hole further forward (like a triangle) that we have been using the camera in, would this setup work with the flasher or would fishing in the flasher hole and having another person jigging next to me work out fine?

Thanks everyone.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I saw in a different post that you just received one for christmas, have you gotten out with it yet?  Have you had flashers before?

not yet waiting on ice.  hopefully this weekend.  have friends that have them and love them.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
So there isn't really any reason to get the Marcum unless I want something that has no bells and whistles?  Now I'm definitely leaning towards the ice machine.  The hokey ice packaging, does it at least do the job? 

We have been fishing in a shanty with two holes next to each other and one hole further forward (like a triangle) that we have been using the camera in, would this setup work with the flasher or would fishing in the flasher hole and having another person jigging next to me work out fine?

Thanks everyone.

The ice pack works, just be nice to the zippers.
I saw one guy on here that used a vex base with 67 it is some thing I may do in the future.
I liked the configuration of all the components with the vex base the pack makes things tough to access witch would be good out in the elements.
I believe you can still fish like that and both see your jig if your deep enough it's a 20 degree cone.
I may try that but drill my 3rd hole for finder one foot in front of the 2 fishing holes and put the camera back 4 or 5 feet.
Good luck and glad we could help.
Thomas Harris

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular

Thanks everyone.

I haven't tried the triangle but I put the transducer in my hole and had my wife's hole next to mine in the ice hut,  I was able to see my jig, my wife's jig and could I tell which jig the fish was aiming for, which for some reason is always her's.... >:(.. this was only in 10' of water, I imagine it will only be better the deeper we are fishing.
In reference to the case, I like the case I just think that there elevating system is gimicky, there's not enough clearance when you zip the bag.  I just got rid of the elevating stuff and remounted the bracket to the actual base so that the bag could do what it was designed to do and protect the finder.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
I haven't tried the triangle but I put the transducer in my hole and had my wife's hole next to mine in the ice hut,  I was able to see my jig, my wife's jig and could I tell which jig the fish was aiming for, which for some reason is always her's.... >:(.. this was only in 10' of water, I imagine it will only be better the deeper we are fishing.
In reference to the case, I like the case I just think that there elevating system is gimicky, there's not enough clearance when you zip the bag.  I just got rid of the elevating stuff and remounted the bracket to the actual base so that the bag could do what it was designed to do and protect the finder.

Good idea I will do it to mine tonight because I plan to fish soon dang it....
Thomas Harris

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Do you need a separate transducer for use on a canoe or boat?  I had seen some mention of that and it sounded like it was a pricey part, which if so I could get a different unit just for on a canoe/boat for the same price (basically).
I use the same transducer for both without any problems.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the ongoing information and input. One final thing, how do I sell my fiancé on letting me buy one for us? Haha.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Just search this site for people talking about how they wont even go fishing without there electronics and print it out.
If she fishes with you it should plant a seed and then give that seed water and light = "you know if there are fish suspended at 10 foot above the the 20 foot bottom we are missing those fish dropping to 1 foot off bottom all the time" Also you say fiancé so there is a wedding planed= money in cards LOL
Thomas Harris

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
Update- how do I ask for forgiveness? Roses? Haha. Ordered from Reeds. Thanks everyone!

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
Just search this site for people talking about how they wont even go fishing without there electronics and print it out.
If she fishes with you it should plant a seed and then give that seed water and light = "you know if there are fish suspended at 10 foot above the the 20 foot bottom we are missing those fish dropping to 1 foot off bottom all the time" Also you say fiancé so there is a wedding planed= money in cards LOL
If I show her things to read she'll show me the wedding budget. She'll forgive me when we are catching eaters.  But I'm extremely thankful for my fishing partner, someone has to keep me under control.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
having used both, i prefered the vx1 to the lcd flasher mode on the ice machine.  everything showed up better on the marcum. 

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
having used both, i prefered the vx1 to the lcd flasher mode on the ice machine.  everything showed up better on the marcum.
I'll hope my experience with neither leaves me happy enough with my choice.   ;D

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Owning a VX1 that was purchased before the Pro was available, and when the X67 came out, dollar for dollar the best option was the VX1 with the bottom lock zoom.

Time marched on, the VX1P has come up in price, and the X67 has come down.  If I was to make the same purchase today, it'd be the X67 (or rather the X68 with GPS) hands down.  For the money, the X67 is the new champ - at least until they're gone and replaced with the new Elite4 series.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
X67 all the way.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
I'll hope my experience with neither leaves me happy enough with my choice.   ;D

You will love it when you start to use it and have ?'s We are here for ya.
Thomas Harris

Offline nute7810

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • OFFICIAL LURKER.....of the Bikini Ice Fishing Team
When it gets here or before check out the youtube vids, and download the emulator and play with the settings, 10 min and you have it

You will enjoy it greatly !   ;D

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
I downloaded the emulator before making my decision and was up way to late last night watching those videos on youtube (before getting your suggestions).  The videos by the guy you linked to are nice because he explains what he's seeing.  I actually don't have any experience with fish finders of any sort so learning to "read" them is going to be new to me.  The chart mode does seem like a nice option for being able to watch what is going on as well.  Just sitting at my computer, playing with my fake fish finder.   :P

Offline finchasr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'

I've used shoo goo to mount my ice ducer to the bottom of my yak for the past two seasons and it's great! Also started drop shotting last year - mark fish-drop down-catch fish! Too easy! Just have to be sure to not get any air bubbles in the goo before you press the ducer into it...

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I downloaded the emulator before making my decision and was up way to late last night watching those videos on youtube (before getting your suggestions).  The videos by the guy you linked to are nice because he explains what he's seeing.  I actually don't have any experience with fish finders of any sort so learning to "read" them is going to be new to me.  The chart mode does seem like a nice option for being able to watch what is going on as well.  Just sitting at my computer, playing with my fake fish finder.   :P

so did you order the x67?  I am getting mine out on the ice this weekend and im stoked.  excited about the color screen but my trusty ice troller will be in my pocket also. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.