Author Topic: Is there any reason to pick the Lowrance x67c over the Marcum VX-1 Pro?  (Read 9401 times)

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
so did you order the x67?  I am getting mine out on the ice this weekend and im stoked.
I think he ordered it from reeds.
I'll have mine out at first light WOOOHOOO Look out fish you cant hide now.
I'm going to bring a bottle of water with me and only drill where I mark fish as we have 4" of bare black ice.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i carry my ice troller for doing that.  Its a very handy tool to have.  If I end up having to go up in my buddys car sunday I might have to leave the x67 at home and just take the troller because will be pinching for space.  hope I get to try it but if not theres always next weekend. 

Offline addicted2fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Don't just take her out an surprise her with it like you were thinking of her when u purchased it ;D an show her how to use it an let her catch some fish with it. Good tip guys btw with the triangle I'm gonna try it out the next time I'm in the shanty with somebody.
Dont be Skunked

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
so did you order the x67?  I am getting mine out on the ice this weekend and im stoked.  excited about the color screen but my trusty ice troller will be in my pocket also.
yup ordered, should be here early the start of next week, maybe if the weather cooperates I can be trying it out next weekend.   
We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Offline Rukus3

• IceShanty Rookie
I've used shoo goo to mount my ice ducer to the bottom of my yak for the past two seasons and it's great! Also started drop shotting last year - mark fish-drop down-catch fish! Too easy! Just have to be sure to not get any air bubbles in the goo before you press the ducer into it...
I kayak fish all the time,  can you give me more details as to how you did this?  I also have a troller but I am probably going to upgrade soon.

Offline Rukus3

• IceShanty Rookie
Target seperation on the x67c in flasher mode?  I do know it has zoom.

Offline finchasr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
I kayak fish all the time,  can you give me more details as to how you did this?  I also have a troller but I am probably going to upgrade soon.

OK  - first, I pick a flat spot on the yak and clean w/ rubbing alcohol. Then I make a kind of mold/form out of plastic from a water bottle about 1" tall. Tape that down w/ masking tape to keep it from moving, squirt a thin layer of shoe goo into that and press the ducer into that. I slit the form down the side and peel it away once the goo has set up. To remove, I just coax the goo off the surface of the yak w/ a snap-off razor knife and peel the goo off of the ducer, then I'm ready for ice!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

i have both type flashers and graphs the 67 is a great unit , and liked it so well made another leap and picked up an hd5 ,and i prefer graph mode over the flasher the memory is a great tool , and with the color bottom huggers can't hide  ;D

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ok so i used my x67c today for the first time.  all I can say is wow!  once you turn up ping speed and chart speed to max and set sensitivity and your upper and lower level depth it is sweet.  I fished in weeds and when a fish was in the weeds you knew it cause the weeds turned red and orange.  i fished outside of weeds and when a pile of perch were down there it looked like awesome.  I didnt even use flasher mode the graph is that sweet.  no lag I dont care what anyone says.  you show me lag on it and ill buy you a beer after you turn everything up.  if you ordered the x67 you made a smart choice.  my last fish finder was a showdown troller and I actually used it today outside the shanty for a lil bit and still love the convienience of it.  my buddy also turned in his fl-12 vex and will never go back to the circular noice maker.   

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
I used mine sat I can now say I was missing suspended fish for year but no more of that.
I caught the most crappy today out of us all because they were 4 feet down in 10 fow. I could see them coming pull my jig up off the bot. and bam.
I shared it with dad gpa and fishing buddy they all loved it I put it on flasher mode for them and they all preferred the graph.
What a nice machine. I'd say 75% of this pile was due to my X67 ;D

"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the continuing reviews, I'm looking forward to mine when it shows up.

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
Thanks for the continuing reviews, I'm looking forward to mine when it shows up.

You'll be in ice fishing heaven.  It is easy to learn and once you have it mastered you'll rather leave your poles at home than the ice machine.  Play with the sensitivity and zoom pan...amazing!
I'm cold and I like it

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yes easy to use.  just have to remember to set your ping and chart speed to full speed.  and use your upper and lower limits to make the water column nice and fat to fish.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
Several

I took a few minutes to shoot a short video with my Iphone this past weekend. We were in a spot with a large school of small 3-4 inch Perch. They were certainly active and allowed me to get a good little clip that shows the 67c's target ID, the separation and also how you can ID fish from the bottom and see them rise off the bottom and trend right to the jif in the history area while on the right you have the real time vertical sonar. If you look close you can also see in the vertical sonar section that the fish on the bottom will show as a black bump.

Offline deweyr25

• IceShanty Rookie
In reference to the case, I like the case I just think that there elevating system is gimicky, there's not enough clearance when you zip the bag.  I just got rid of the elevating stuff and remounted the bracket to the actual base so that the bag could do what it was designed to do and protect the finder.

Ducati, is there anyway you could post some pictures of the changes you made?  I just got my x67c, and have the same concerns about the unit JUST fitting in the bag.  I feel like if it was just a little lower it would fit great.  Where do you put the jig boxes?  Just take them out?

Also, does has anyone found some kind of holder that the ice ducer fits into well?  I want the ducer to have a home in the bag (like some vexs have) so its not just loose and rolling around.  For my FL-8 I used  the cap from a can of spray paint and the ducer fit perfectly... looking for some ideas.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ducati, is there anyway you could post some pictures of the changes you made?  I just got my x67c, and have the same concerns about the unit JUST fitting in the bag.  I feel like if it was just a little lower it would fit great.  Where do you put the jig boxes?  Just take them out?

Also, does has anyone found some kind of holder that the ice ducer fits into well?  I want the ducer to have a home in the bag (like some vexs have) so its not just loose and rolling around.  For my FL-8 I used  the cap from a can of spray paint and the ducer fit perfectly... looking for some ideas.

if you have the pp18 pack just make sure you put the mount on the shelf so that the middle hole in the rear is being used to push the unit back.  mine fits great no issues at all.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular

I just drilled into the base itself and remounted the gimbal bracket, unfortunately I can't use the tackle box or elevating system any longer so I just pulled them out, I will try and post a pic when I get off of work tonite, I haven't posted pics yet but it sounds like I need to start an account in order to do so.  As far as the transducer storage I like your idea and I am going to run with that, I think i'll mount the cap and add some adhesive insulation, thanks for the idea.

Offline Murf

• IceShanty Rookie
One thing that probably should be considered is how thick is the ice is you are going to fish through.  Up here in the Canadian north 3-4 feet can be the norm midwinter.  Is there any way in getting a float system rigged up for the x67 as you need to get the transducer down the hole or you will get interference from the side of the hole.  I have a vx1 pro and it works great but I would prefer an lcd on a boat. 

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
I use a Vex float on both my x67c and my Showdown. They work great.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i dont use the float nor am I using the xtra float cable.  With the pp-18 pack i just run the ducer cable in between the little posts on the side of the unit and let it dangle.  I dont know I dont like the float because in my clam pro I dont have room for a xtra hole for the transducer and i jig both holes so it kinda gets in the way.  the xtra cable on the ducer I found it to make the transducer uneven with the way they wan tyou to sting it.  I hope its not bad to let it dangle  like that.  I dont rip it out of the hole that often.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
i dont use the float nor am I using the xtra float cable.  With the pp-18 pack i just run the ducer cable in between the little posts on the side of the unit and let it dangle.  I dont know I dont like the float because in my clam pro I dont have room for a xtra hole for the transducer and i jig both holes so it kinda gets in the way.  the xtra cable on the ducer I found it to make the transducer uneven with the way they wan tyou to sting it.  I hope its not bad to let it dangle  like that.  I dont rip it out of the hole that often.

come on 10xr what do you mean you don't have room for an extra hole for the graph? when i use my kenai which is way smaller i use an extra hole ,and in my old frabil which was the size of your pro  i fished 2 holes and 1 for the graph when fishing eyes  ;) i like the float it may appear to be cocked but the weight of the ducer hangs straight ,
murf i don't quite under stand flasher or lcd they still work the same  just read different ,i have both flasher and lcd's both work well,i just prefer the sonar over flasher it is just a preference thats all and the sonar does have a few extras ,but it is still the guy with the rod in the end that really makes the difference just an ol buzzards .02

Offline timdog

• IceShanty Rookie

i took an old insulated coffie mug and cut the the bottom off it.  took the inside cup and lined it with foam you would use to seal out window drafts and the transducer fits snug!  took some heavy duty velcro, stuck one piece to the pedistle on the side of the unit inside. the other peice to the bottom of the ducer cup. its a nice little out of the way place for the ducer to sit so its not bumping around.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
i took an old insulated coffie mug and cut the the bottom off it.  took the inside cup and lined it with foam you would use to seal out window drafts and the transducer fits snug!  took some heavy duty velcro, stuck one piece to the pedistle on the side of the unit inside. the other peice to the bottom of the ducer cup. its a nice little out of the way place for the ducer to sit so its not bumping around.

Very nice... I am just trying to clarify for myself a bit so I can do the same thing, so you just used the velcro to attach the cup to the pedestal and didn't drill it in to the pedestal?

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
Well I'm still waiting for it because spee dee didn't deliver it to my apartment and returned it to Reeds. Hopefully UPS works with me lol.

Offline timdog

• IceShanty Rookie
Very nice... I am just trying to clarify for myself a bit so I can do the same thing, so you just used the velcro to attach the cup to the pedestal and didn't drill it in to the pedestal?

thats it, just a dollar store plastic coffie mug.  the cup is about 1 1/2- 2 inches hi when cut. make sure you use the heavy duty velcro. i wouldnt' use a screw because of potential scratches to the bottom of the ducer. stuk mine in back and just to the left of the unit itself.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great timdog, thanks.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular

Here you go, let me know if you have any questions

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
come on 10xr what do you mean you don't have room for an extra hole for the graph? when i use my kenai which is way smaller i use an extra hole ,and in my old frabil which was the size of your pro  i fished 2 holes and 1 for the graph when fishing eyes  ;) i like the float it may appear to be cocked but the weight of the ducer hangs straight ,
murf i don't quite under stand flasher or lcd they still work the same  just read different ,i have both flasher and lcd's both work well,i just prefer the sonar over flasher it is just a preference thats all and the sonar does have a few extras ,but it is still the guy with the rod in the end that really makes the difference just an ol buzzards .02

well i used my pro today fillet for the first time.  i probably could drill another hole but im lazy lol. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
there is a ton of room this way when you get a fish , just one less thing to mess with ,and the lake we fish you don't have to drill a bunch of holes for perch and eyes ,if it were flat fish different story 

Offline Glowjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My "Happy Place"
I have had and used both, an old Vex and a new Low, my Low has GPS too, the flasher works great, and the GPS is Awsome to find those spots next year. I have used the Low for five years now and NEVER had an issue. Battery sips power, days, weeks on a charge.

Both will help you catch more fish!!

Good luck
GLOWJIG
Hey it's nice to meet ya but, I got to run for this flag, Be right back!!!

GLOWJIG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.