The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: jiffy augers  (Read 4509 times)

Offline termite_1985

• IceShanty Rookie
jiffy augers
« on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:27 AM »
What do you think is better a jiffy or eskimo I'm thinking about buying one of them

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
Re: jiffy augers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:43 AM »
  Check these threads out. Should be all the info you're looking for and more. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=73.0
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline termite_1985

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:23 AM »
Cool thanks

Offline Beardedclam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:06 PM »
I would recommend the Jiffy...i have the Eskimo shark 51cc and like it, but every time i drill next to a jiffy, i get smoked! Plus, the jiffy seems to be made with more metal where the Eskimo has alot more plastic pieces. That's just my opinion.

Offline TeamRamrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:08 PM »
FYI......   I have a Jiffy STX series.  I have had this since 2006 and never had to replace blades yet.  It runs like a champ.

Offline Bait Be Gone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:19 PM »
Hey TeamRamrod how do you sharpen your blades? I have stx blade that need sharpend and don't want to spend $100 on new ones!

Offline TeamRamrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:24 PM »
I haven't sharpened mine yet.  I need to look into sharpening them to since I to don't want to buy new ones. 

Offline fishwhisperer307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:53 PM »
That jiffy propane auger is awesome

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I would recommend the Jiffy...i have the Eskimo shark 51cc and like it, but every time i drill next to a jiffy, i get smoked! Plus, the jiffy seems to be made with more metal where the Eskimo has alot more plastic pieces. That's just my opinion.

eskimo's 2012 augers in the z51/71 no longer have plastic handles.  So there is not much plastic left.  Last I looked Jiffy still uses a plastic transmission case where others use metal.
Don

Offline mrosas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:57 PM »
i had a old eskimo, just bought the jiffy pro 4, now that is one bad auger there, the speed is unreal! very happy with it
Rip a lip!!!!!

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Jiffy, Strikemaster and Eskimo all make great augers. I've used them all.
I own a Strikemaster auger at the moment and really like it. IMO the plastic
worries are only that... Worries. These companys aren't going to install plastic
parts that shatter on impact. The plastic is a high grade, extremely tought poly.
Same material that HP pipe is made of.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three brands.

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Strikemaster auger handles will snap if dropped.  Also if extremely cold (-50) they will snap if looked at wrong....  Gaers and clutches in strikemaster are also in plastic so be careful when augering holes as the teeth will wear down to the point that the bit will not turn.  This being said I have never owned another brand of auger.....

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 09:09 PM »
Strikemaster auger handles will snap if dropped.  Also if extremely cold (-50) they will snap if looked at wrong....  Gaers and clutches in strikemaster are also in plastic so be careful when augering holes as the teeth will wear down to the point that the bit will not turn.  This being said I have never owned another brand of auger.....

WyoMinFisher---- if I would have had the troubles you mentioned about Strikemaster augers, I Would have owned a diffrent brand by now.
Get real

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Wanna buy two tore up auger heads or one that has handles secured together with screws? ???

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:28 PM »
Was going to buy a jiffy but won the last auger (with handle now secured with screws) in Mobridge SD tourney 2 years ago! Headed up there on Saturday, tourney on 14th...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2012, 11:50 PM »
I might take some heat for this, but my 10" pro 4 seemed a little under powered the other day drilling in 12" of ice.  :unsure:

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:10 AM »
Wanna buy two tore up auger heads or one that has handles secured together with screws? ???

Operator error................. ..........

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:28 AM »
Wow eyefinder you a sales rep for them or somethin ??? geez
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline wyfireparamedic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:00 AM »
I also have tried Eskimo and Jiffy.  One thing I can say is you see lots of old jiffy out there and not a lot of eskimo or other brands.  They are made to last  years.  My two eskimo I bought both had something broke with in two years.  The new propane Ice Auger by Jiffy I bought this year seems to be awesome.  No issues yet.  Drills just as fast as everyone else.  Starts on first pull usually.  Sometimes takes two.  No flooding.  Just waiting for a really cold day to give it a go. Only test left for me to try.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:56 AM »
well I have had my strike master mag 2000 for many years and drill hundreds of holes a year and well my handles are NOT broke or screwed together and the auger turns really well no matter how thick the ice and I fish with 3 guys that have jiffy augers and they never have issues so Im going to say proper care and maitanence is the key to sucsess in this case. I would have to suggest taking better care of your equipment. Oh and may I add we carry our augers on the front of our 4 wheelers and ride hard and alot of miles but they are secured like they are weled to the machines.
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:56 AM »
If there's dirt or sand in the ice, you'll get tired of changing blades on an Eskimo. That's the only thing I don't like about them. As far as dependability goes, they are comparable in my experience.

Offline eyefinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:34 PM »
Wow eyefinder you a sales rep for them or somethin ??? geez

No I'm not a sales rep for anyone. I ran a Jiffy for 12 years, and can't say too many bad things about the
auger at all, it served it's purpose.
I'm simply stating that all three company's make great augers. I have been using a strikemaster latley and
really like it, but I also like jiffy and eskimo. I've run all three brands, and Jasonfishin sum's it up best------

Take care of your equipment and any auger will last for years.

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:54 PM »
Just harrassin you man, completly agree on takin care though, I've got a cheap little jiffy extreme auger goin on 5 years, never had an issue with it although i drill easily 500+ holes a year, i think it's probably due to the fact I treat it like a newborn. ;D
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline SagebrushSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:56 PM »
I chose the Jiffy Pro. 4 for the simple fact that you wont be dealing with mixing gas and carrying around a can that seems to get spilled every time no matter how much precaution is taken (usually in the sled wich ends up on most of its contents). The other selling point for myself was how much quieter it is compared to any gas auger I have had in the past. This is a good thing for anyone who already sports some level of hearing loss from the shear enjoyment of the outdoors and the loud noises associated with it. Like has been stated many times before the best auger is one that runs consistently and dependably. Good luck with your purchase! See Ya On The ICE!

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I own both and use both.  My first auger was a jiffy 30 model and I just purchased a Eskimo Mako last fall wanting a bigger blade.  Both augers are good.  The only reason why I purchased the Eskimo is that, the Jiffy augers are great but they are loud and Vibrate like no other.  My friends Stealth jiffy is still louder but doesn't vibrate that bad.  Another friend that purchased the propane model, I have heard some arguments about temp.  When its really cold like negative -20 the propane likes to condense and you used up alot of gas and didn't run as smooth. I was on the ice and my friend just bought a Eskimo on sale that year.  We tested it very quite and smooth.  Also I like the two blades on the auger.  This made me start looking at the Eskimos and I found one on sale and love it.  Its quieter and vibrates much less.   If you are struggling on the comments given, get out on the ice and talk to fisherman and find someone that has a Jiffy and a Eskimo and any other auger available to you and see if you can give it a crank, and test it out for your self.
No one left behind.     

Offline foulhooker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If you fish it they will come.
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:00 AM »
I've got an old jiffy 30 that still cuts 10 inch holes like it was new. This auger has to be pushing 25 years old. Its bounced around back of pickup,snowplane, and pull behinds all its life and I've only rebuilt the carb once, sharpened it, and changed the plug occasionally. Great auger!

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
For what it's worth. . .
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2012, 08:25 AM »
I've got 2 Jiffy 30s -- my fishin' buddy died last spring and his widow gave me his.  I have had mine for 20 or so years, and my only problem with it is that it starts great cold, but once I shut it off, it may be 20 to 30 minutes before it will fire up again.
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline SagebrushSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2012, 09:17 AM »
I got the oppertunity to take the new Jiffy Pro-4 out for a test run last night. Very nice machine. It started without hesitation and drilled very nicely once the engine was warmed up. Very quiet compared to any gas auger I have been around or owned. We drilled 12 holes and it started right up after sitting on the ice between moves and it never hesitated to perform. Im hoping that last night is a good indication of future outings. So far I am pleased with the purchase. Hope this helps.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:21 PM »
I've got 2 Jiffy 30s -- my fishin' buddy died last spring and his widow gave me his.  I have had mine for 20 or so years, and my only problem with it is that it starts great cold, but once I shut it off, it may be 20 to 30 minutes before it will fire up again.
I had the same problem a while back with my jiffy.  But after trying many different things I realized that soon as I changed the gas mixture to the correct mix 24:1 it started running so much better.  I was using my chain saw mix 40:1 and didin't read the little operating book.  But as soon as you shut of the auger you need shut the air to the gas tank, and do your best to keep it standing up right.  Now the only thing that sucks is I just bougth a Eskimo and it takes 50:1 ratio, so now I have to have to different gas tanks out with me on the ice if I bring both augers.  But it nice to have two in tournements.  Another thing to try that works to is put in your tank a little carb cleaner that help out alittle. 
No one left behind.     

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:53 PM »
   You should be good with a 40:1 mixture on your model 30. Use Jiffy or any good quality air cooled engine oil. If it's stamped on the engine cowling 24:1 you have one of the old,old timers and maybe use that mixture.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.