The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: jiffy augers  (Read 4510 times)

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: jiffy augers
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Thanks guys. . .I'll check to see what is printed on the power head. . .

I've been using the Jiffy oil that comes in the little, baby bottle.  I also run ~1 oz. Seafoam/gallon of gas.  I haven't been closing the air vent in the fuel tank cap, but leave the auger standing vertical when not in use, when possible.
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline WYcoyote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:30 PM »
I've got an old jiffy 30 that still cuts 10 inch holes like it was new. This auger has to be pushing 25 years old. Its bounced around back of pickup,snowplane, and pull behinds all its life and I've only rebuilt the carb once, sharpened it, and changed the plug occasionally. Great auger!

+1  My Jiffy 30 10" is 23 years old and all I've ever done to it is file the blade once every couple years. Original spark plug. All I do to "summerize" it is use stabil in the gas, tip it upside down to drain it, and then run it till it quits. The # of holes it has drilled has got to be in the thousands. Still punches them as fast as any I've seen. Starts quick in any weather. The new ones are a lot different, can't speak for them.

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:47 PM »
+1  My Jiffy 30 10" is 23 years old and all I've ever done to it is file the blade once every couple years. Original spark plug. All I do to "summerize" it is use stabil in the gas, tip it upside down to drain it, and then run it till it quits. The # of holes it has drilled has got to be in the thousands. Still punches them as fast as any I've seen. Starts quick in any weather. The new ones are a lot different, can't speak for them.
Same here WYcoyote, mine is almost 28 years old and still has the same original blades. I touch them up everyear and do the same to summerize it. I take it back out in the winter to go fishing prime it and the first pull it will always start. It does not mater if it hot or cold all that is needed is one pull. Yes I still have the original spark plug in mine too. The only thing I had to do was put in a new diaphram that pumps the gas. It is only made out of like a paper material so I believe it was 25 years when I replaced it.... It had a spit in it, just from being so old. Cost me about 2 dollars to fix it a 5 minutes to take off and replace it. I also called Jiffy on the gas oil ratio and my jiffy says on the engine 24-1, I told jiffy it smoked a lot. They told me to use a good like Jiffy sythentic or any good sythentic 2 cycle oil and mix it 40-1, but it has to be sythentic.... I have been doing that for about 5 years and it still runs the same but does not smoke anymore. If you look at the new manuels like my original manuel says 24-1 the new manuels say 40-1 with sythentic for my model that is 28 years old I check this online.. Even my Craftmens 2 cycle says the same thing if your using sythentic oil. The sythentic oil also has a stabilizer in them to keep the moisture out.. Good Fishing All Benwyo....

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:53 PM »
I also use 87 octane not the 85 octane.....it cost a little more but 10 cents a gallon goes a long way with your auger...I also take the plug out everyear before I put it away put in about 1/2 oz of good 5w-30 pull the rope 10 times and put the plug back in. Then I wrap in in 40 gallon black trash bags one on top and the other on the bottom tie them together with rope so no dust and grit will get inside.
 :tipup: Benwyo

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: For what it's worth. . .
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2012, 11:03 PM »
I've got 2 Jiffy 30s -- my fishin' buddy died last spring and his widow gave me his.  I have had mine for 20 or so years, and my only problem with it is that it starts great cold, but once I shut it off, it may be 20 to 30 minutes before it will fire up again.

Sounds allot like it's running very rich. Turn the screw on the carb in 1/4 turn at a time until it quits that. You should not be able to cold start it without the choke.

Offline hillbillyhans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:17 AM »
Hello from green river.  Most guys I fish with use a Jiffy. I use a hand auger for another week or two, then I will also be using a Jiffy.
"I throw back the ones I don't eat"

Offline acidoperator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2012, 03:29 AM »
The jiffy model 30 I have is several years old.  Had no trouble with it.  Most of the guys I fish with have jiffy augers and would agree.  Im very happy with jiffy augers

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:34 AM »
I have one of the old jiffy about 30 years old 8" never had any trouble with it.  Have been around all of them and i don't think you can go wrong with a jiffy. my thoughts are it is the best auger out there. I use the new optum oil in mine and it dosen't smoke and runs very well. just my opinon.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Love dat Jiffy!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:30 AM »
Skipper:  I've guessed that there might be a "flooding" problem.  The screw turns that you reference would be counter-clockwise, right?

All:  There are some pretty good testimonials for the good ol' Jiffy ice digger here! 

One thing that no one mentioned is that we (Jiffy Model 30 owners) don't have to go to the gym during the winter--our workouts involve toting and drilling w/our augers.  :P
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:44 AM »
i inherited my brothers old Jiffy lite model 50. its an old clockwise rotation and all metal parts in the tranny. great auger in my opinion. always starts up and cuts. just ordered new blades from badger augers. the original producers of Jiffy. (so they tell me.)

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Love dat Jiffy!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Skipper:  I've guessed that there might be a "flooding" problem.  The screw turns that you reference would be counter-clockwise, right?

Counter Clockwise is out, that means more fuel.... you already have too much. You will want to turn it in, clockwise, for less fuel.

Righty tighty, lefty loosie! ;D

It should start right back up when it is hot, and need the choke to start when it is cold. Those screws do not stay put very well, I carry a chainsaw tool in my snowmobile for when it's acting funny. If its not the mixture screw, it's the idol adjustment. I should just use low strength loctite on them and be done with it.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:49 AM »
Skipper:

Got it!  That's why I asked--it seems like every time I have an opportunity to turn a screw/knob/whatever the wrong way, I do.  Then I have to try to figure out where it was when I started and. . . well, you get the picture.  Maybe I'm cixelsyd?

You ought to see me try to adjust the scope on a rifle!  :%$#!:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:58 PM »
There is nothing like the feeling of pulling the rifle up on a deer that's 20 feet away and realizing the scope is still on 9X from sighting in!!

Did I turn the scope left, right, up, or down? Click click click.... I will just have to start over.... ;D

I have the same problem.... ;)

Offline laWy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:23 PM »
Ive got two trips out on a new Eskimo 43 it did a good job until my buddy flooded it out. 30 or so cranks and 20 pushes on the primer button with the kill switch off. But if you take opperator error out I have been verry happy with it.
I hope that after I die my wife doesn't sell my toys for the same price I told her I bought them for

Offline jigaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:22 AM »
I have had a jiffy for ten years with no problems...

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:31 AM »
I purchased my old Jiffy Model 30 used when I started ice fishing 12 years ago.  It may be a heavy sucker, but it is DEPENDABLE & always starts up on the 1st or 2nd pull!  In all the years I have had it (knock on wood), I have had no problems & have only changed the blades once & it still cuts through the ice like butter.  Plus I like the old loud sound it makes......kind of reminds me of my Cummins 5.9 loud diesel!  ;D (I LOVE THE SMELL OF DIESEL & 2 CYCLE IN THE MORNINGS!)  I am sold on Jiffy's & not sure you could give me another brand. 

Offline mathesino

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Outdoors is a way of life!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:12 PM »
I have a Jiffy Stealth STX 3 HP and i wouldn't trade it for nothing. It comes with a 3 year blade warranty and 1 free sharpening. I would recommend buying another set of blades for backup and for when your blades are in for the free sharpening.  You can also buy a jiffy blade sharpener but the glue comes off the back of the stones pretty easy.
"When you buy the best you only cry once"
FSDV01DT Fish Scout Double Vision with DTD.
FL18 Velxilar flasher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.