The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Ferry Fishn Report  (Read 30111 times)

Offline imwilee2

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Canyon Ferry Fishn Report
« Reply #90 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:19 PM »
I'm heading out to duck creek for the weekend. hope to catch something....if not I will just play in my Ice Hole.....
Have a Fine Navy Day :)

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:27 PM »
the Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks has a log holder program where you record the water body you fished, number of hours, size, and species of fish cought. you use a seperate line for each species or if you have a great variance in size. They collect the data once a year, but I can go back in my logs and tell you how many trips I made last year and how many fish I cought.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline diertae

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pinche Pescadooo!!!
« Reply #92 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:33 PM »
631 perch? Where do you keep all those tally marks?  ;D

MTA

Thats 42 days of fishing............leg al days. Limits 15 per day right?

Molon Labe

Offline imwilee2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Jan 13, 2012, 07:48 PM »
acording to the regs, 15 per day 30 in posession, posession is any that you have, including in your freezer at home...

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:25 PM »
spent much of the day near the christmas trees..very Slow, same as last week..we picked-up 2, but few bites.. we fished in 5-10 FOW on 11 inches of ice..TG

Offline Baitslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #95 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:29 PM »
Two trips to the south end without a hit makes baitslinger a sad ice fisherman.  Will try again tomorrow.
Fat, Drunk, and Stupid for over half a century

IceCreeper

« Reply #96 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:11 PM »
acording to the regs, 15 per day 30 in posession, posession is any that you have, including in your freezer at home...
AND you cant count kids under 12 as having a limit of their own...

Offline Lost River

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:42 PM »
Icekreeper,

Can you site that from the regs, I have heard that and it makes sense to me, but I just can't find it in the regs.  It's something I need to know too because my little ones love to go fishing.  Thanks.

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #98 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:49 PM »
It's in the general regs. I read it last week.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:55 PM »
It is one limit per license holder so your kid's fish have to be included in your limit. If you each want to bring home a limit of fish (i.e. a limit for you and a limit for your kid) then you have to buy the kid a license.

Offline Lost River

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:05 PM »
It says in the table on page 5 that residents age 1-11 do not need a license and must follow all limits and regulations.  Under the non-resident it says that they need to fish under the limit of the person accompanying them with the license or buy their own license.  This tells me that resident age 1-11 get their own limit.  This is confusing. 

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Lost river. Look in the section in the front of the regs.  It's the table that has all the ages and what licence they need.  Basically says ages 1-11 need no licence 12-14 need a conservation liscence but must be accompanied by a liscence holder. Daily limit for the two or more angles must not exceed limit of liscence holder. If the youth wants a limit he must buy a fishing liscence 

I couldn't post it directly cause I'm on my phone but this is how I read it.

Does anyone know what Tue rules are for number of poles? Are youths allow to have same number of rods as a liscenced fisherman.

IceCreeper

« Reply #102 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:58 PM »
Back in the Hauser Kokanee days I watched a buddy get a ticket for misunderstanding that rule,he had his 9 yr old along and had almost 2 limits on the ice.If the kid doesnt have his own license you have to count this fish against your limit,same goes for your possession limit.As far as I can determin the kid can have his own poles by I would quote me on that!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:07 PM »
You can call a game warden and ask them, that'd be your best bet if it doesn't out right say it in the regs.

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:23 AM »
I've always interpreted the kid rule to only apply to out of state kids but It looks like i might have been wrong. Good thing to know for the coming years when my little guys starts coming with me...that ticket would have ticked me off.  It's always the worst when you think you are doing the right thing and you find out your in the wrong...

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Jan 14, 2012, 12:43 AM »
Lost river. Look in the section in the front of the regs.  It's the table that has all the ages and what licence they need.  Basically says ages 1-11 need no licence 12-14 need a conservation liscence but must be accompanied by a liscence holder. Daily limit for the two or more angles must not exceed limit of liscence holder. If the youth wants a limit he must buy a fishing liscence 

I couldn't post it directly cause I'm on my phone but this is how I read it.

Does anyone know what Tue rules are for number of poles? Are youths allow to have same number of rods as a liscenced fisherman.

So I went back and looked and what I wrote in this last post was under the nonresident section. So I'm not sure what the rule is. It just says no liscence needed must follow all limits and regulations.  So I'm just as confused as you.

Offline fsoltys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Jan 14, 2012, 02:49 AM »
thanks for the info

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Back in the Hauser Kokanee days I watched a buddy get a ticket for misunderstanding that rule,he had his 9 yr old along and had almost 2 limits on the ice.If the kid doesnt have his own license you have to count this fish against your limit,same goes for your possession limit.As far as I can determin the kid can have his own poles by I would quote me on that!
Times have changed ::) ::) ::)
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline CarpCopRetired

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:22 AM »
The way I read the regs:

Age              Resident          
1-11    No license required. Must observe all limits and regulations

12-14  ]Conservation License Only

1-14                      Nonresident
            No license required IF accompanied by
            an adult who holds a valid Montana fishing
            license. The combined daily and possession
            limit for the two (or more) anglers cannot
            exceed the legal limit for one licenses
            angler. To catch his or her own legal limit, the
            youth must purchase a fishing license. See
            nonresident licenses 15-62+ years of age.

Translation: Montana resident 1 year of age to 11 years of age (probably should say "0 years of age")
                                     No license required.

Montana resident 12 years of age to 14 years of age,
                                  Conservation License Only

These age groups “Must observe all limits and regulation's"               as all other ages, although in some cases, they may keep some types of fish that others may not. Check "Exception to Standard Regulation's" in the Fishing District with your body of water.They may posses a legal limit that they have caught them selves (not what mom, dad or Uncle Festus caught and slipped onto the kid's stringer)

Non-(Montana)-Resident 1 year of age to 14 years of age (should probably say “0 years of age), 
                        No license required IF
                        accompanied by an adult who holds a valid Montana fishing
                        license. The combined daily and possession
                        limit for the two (or more) anglers cannot
                        exceed the legal limit for one licenses
                        angler. To catch his or her own legal limit, the
                        youth must purchase a fishing license. See
                        nonresident licenses 15-62+ years of age   
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, but not in your favorite fishin’ hole…

Offline wolf777

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:14 AM »
The biggest thing you pointed out there is a limit is legal for children as long as they caught it themselves.

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:18 AM »
This is where they can get you!!  Straight for the regs;

Daily limit means the number of fish you may legally take during a calendar day. It is unlawful
to exceed the standard daily limit unless the regulations for the water body where you are fishing
specify a different limit. “Legally taken” means fish caught and not immediately released alive. Where
catch-and-release is allowed, fish immediately released alive are considered not taken. A fish when
landed and not immediately released becomes part of the daily limit of the person originally hooking
the fish, even if the fish is donated to another person. If you receive fish from another angler, those
fish also become part of your daily limit.
You may possess the daily limit allowed only for the body
of water on which you are fishing.

The kid has to catch his own fish dad can't do it for him!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline imwilee2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Ok back to fishing. I'm heading out to duck Creek for the week end. I wil post on how the fishing is when I get back.

IceCreeper

« Reply #112 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:38 AM »
Times have changed ::) ::) ::)
Yes they have,wardens are even less understanding and we have a fleet of newbys who dont know the meaning of letting somone off with a warning because they were confused about the rules.

AND the koke fishing on Hauser is a thing of the past..... :'(

Offline 12BHNTN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:07 PM »
FYI.  Three of us fished out from the Christmas tree pile from about 9:00 am to 12:30 pm today.  Very windy and very slow.  Three light bites for 18 rods.  I'm looking forward to better ice and more options for places to fish.  :-\

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Not sure how everyone else did out there today but it was SLOW for us on the trout.  We were set up ready to fish before 7 by the dikes and stayed till noon and only landed 4 smaller trout...not a spawner in the bunch.  Looks like the trout haven't quite moved into the shallows yet this year.

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Went out saturday to the silos and got into a ton of trout action. Between our 12 lines we had a couple dozen flags. Should have brought home out limit and then some, but between the "hit and spits" and break offs we only came home with three. 20", 17", 16". Great day out and will probably try again Monday.

Offline MontanaGriz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:18 PM »
Any walleye action on cf ice?

Offline imwilee2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:42 PM »
I just got home from spending the weekend at duck creek, I cought 1 ling saturday night, fished for perch Saturdat and Sunday, no luck. I talked to a game warden on Sunday, he told me there was lots of perch action on Saturday, but had not talked to anyone that had cought any on Sunday.
 I had somthing on a tip up Sunday night, it felt pretty big, when I got it close to the hole it broke the line.  There is more than a foot of ice on most places, still some open water near the pressure ridges.

Offline imwilee2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Jan 22, 2012, 01:50 PM »
anyone going to the perh derby next weekend?

IceCreeper

« Reply #119 on: Jan 22, 2012, 03:41 PM »
Yuuupppppp! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.