The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Ferry Fishn Report  (Read 30118 times)

Offline Angulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Canyon Ferry Fishn Report
« Reply #120 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:12 PM »
Fished Duck Creek for trout today. Must have found the nursery, caught eight, all around 12". Had about 10" of ice with an unstable pressure ridge. 4 wheelers were getting out at a spot where the ridge had come onto shore.

Offline BigSkyEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Another wheeler went in the drink today. Sounds like they got it tied off before it went all the way down. Heard it was good ice all around it. Straight out from the silos - out in the middle. Be safe out there!

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #122 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:11 PM »
I'll be fishing the derby, red Eskimo quick fish 6 shelter and I'll be flying the team ice shanty flag
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #123 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:56 AM »
hey albo hope you win !!! i will just be getting my limit again !!! dam those perch taste good......
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline Borgy83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:15 PM »
Newb question... are there any good walk-out spots for walleyes and perch in the canyon ferry area? I dont have access to a snowmobile or atv, but I am really missing the taste of fish from back home on devils lake!!!

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #125 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:48 PM »
all the ice is walkable, just depends on how far you want to walk.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline imwilee2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:33 PM »
How mutch snow is on the Ice? I hate going on the ice when I can't see how thick it is
Have a Fine Navy Day :)

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:40 PM »
All the snow blew off.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Caught a couple ling out there the other afternoon, was a tasty surprise! They both hit on tipups.

Offline frozenout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:21 PM »
where is the check in station located for the Perch tournament this next weekend at Canyon ferry?
How much is it?
Where do you fish for perch in this large lake? any thoughts?
Does white earth have ice yet?
Lots of questions but not real familiar with this lake??

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:43 PM »
Check in is at the silo's store north of townsend
1st day is big fish 10 for adults 5 for kids and second day is 50 for 3 person teams total of all fish
Haven't heard of anyone fishing white earth ice was late coming on down there would assume theres ice now but not sure how much.
oh and where are the perch... most of them are under the ice
go north from the boat ramps and start looking

Offline silversurfer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:12 PM »
Hey frozenout i was at white earth this weekend ice is 3 to 4'' and varies, feels a little touch and go out there. I would consider it unsafe.  stick to the silos thats where all the perch are anyway, I have heard there are some guys pulling some perch out of lake helena I havent been out there yet

Offline frozenout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Thanks for all your infromation guys! Hope be up there Saturday looks to be a nice light wind day.Thats all you can ask for in Montana. Coming from Livingston is worth the drive, just to get out of the huricane conditons.
Good luck fishing Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Offline jhinkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Jan 27, 2012, 05:42 PM »
I spent the day yesterday fishing Canyon Ferry and came away with 1 trout, sure hope the people in the tourney has better luck then I did. I threw everything I have at them and every bait I brought and fished many depths.

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:56 PM »
me and the boy spent the day near the christmas trees in 4-9 FOW... we had about 15 bites and landed 7. it was the best day for us the season...hope it continues.. various jigs tipped with either maggots or worms. the bite is the best early...TG

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:26 AM »
 so my son and i tried near the upper end again... very slow for us yesterday.. 5 hits total, most very timid 'hit and runs'..we landed 2. ice was about 14 inches and we fished in 8-6 FOW..  it was an absolutely fine weather day.. just hard to get a hit... i jigged one pole all the time and never got a hit on that one?? good luck out there. TG

Offline fishhunter85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Anyone make it out from silos today...I'm going in the morning and will post how I do. Trout bite was good last time..now it's perch time if their biting. How was the ice if you went! Thanks TH

Offline 12BHNTN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:54 PM »
A little late posting this.  First time on Canyon Ferry this season for perch was a success!  On Friday we walked out about a mile from the Silos amidst the ATVs.  Two of us iced 25 jumbos.  Caught fish on all but one rod, they weren't picky.  Some extremely light biters.  Several were on with no indication of a bite, just checked the rod and they were there. :o

Ice is good with 12" of quality ice.  The pressure ridges are variable.  :-\ In the morning one was just a partially frozen 5" space where the ice had seperated.  By late afternoon it had come together and had pushed up a small 8" ridge.  The ice was alive and popping from mid-morning on.  A little common sense and caution will keep everyone above ice.

Stay safe and good luck!

Offline greyling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Feb 05, 2012, 11:04 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time out there!! :)  I have fished for trout there a few times and was hoping I could try my luck for some perch.  How deep of water do people normally fish for perch on cf?
"No life is so happy and so pleasant as the life of the well-govern'd angler." - Izaak Walton

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:18 AM »
a friend and i hit the upper end again yesterday...9-5 FOW. still rather slow but we did manage 7 hits and 7 landed.. cool day and few fishermen.. i did see a guy pull up 2 ling on set lines in only 15 FOW (sucker meat. ). TG

Offline bsharp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Feb 07, 2012, 07:42 PM »
usually anywhere from 30 to 50 fow is where we find the perch 

Offline outdoor livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:07 PM »
anyone go out off confederate lately- is the ice sketchy at all or any ridges to be concerned about?

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #142 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:35 PM »
the last i seen it was open !!  so take your boat !! ;D ;D ;D
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Feb 10, 2012, 06:54 PM »
went north of silos today, ice is getting thicker, pressure ridges are still open but crossable. Got skunked for the first time all season today though. Good ice at Duck creek would think confederate would be OK
Tying Christmas trees together ate silos in the AM if any one is bored and looking for something to do. Was going to fish tomorrow but felt guilty that guys would be working to make better fishing for all while i sit on my but and stare at a hole waiting for those fish to show up.

IceCreeper

« Reply #144 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Ill be out there in the AM.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:44 PM »
went north of silos today, ice is getting thicker, pressure ridges are still open but crossable. Got skunked for the first time all season today though. Good ice at Duck creek would think confederate would be OK
Tying Christmas trees together ate silos in the AM if any one is bored and looking for something to do. Was going to fish tomorrow but felt guilty that guys would be working to make better fishing for all while i sit on my but and stare at a hole waiting for those fish to show up.
F w/ Brittnies and I got skunked yesterday too, after having two good trips out previously. Something's closed up the perch lips.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:01 PM »
F w/ Brittnies and I got skunked yesterday too, after having two good trips out previously. Something's closed up the perch lips.
Couldn't even find fish to mark moved some where else close or far not sure where they went.  Didn't even mark a trout and whenever we've been on perch this year we've been catching them and didn't even get the chance to shake one off ??? ;D :-\   they sure wern't under us today :'(

IceCreeper

« Reply #147 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Go down to 50 FOW  :tipup:

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Feb 10, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Go down to 50 FOW  :tipup:
'eye also like 50' esp for perch!the trout will flash on the vex usually up off bottom and you can reel up and catch them if you want...well...sometime s!?

IceCreeper

« Reply #149 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:01 PM »
Fishn sux and one fella went through on foot at the pressure ridge and pulled himself out,then the idiot slid back out on the hole while another idiot held his ankles trying to retrieve a $20 pole. ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.