The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Ferry Fishn Report  (Read 30157 times)

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Canyon Ferry Fishn Report
« Reply #150 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:10 PM »
Is the ice ok other than around the preasure ridges? I just dont understand with a whole lake out there why people fish right on the ridges.

IceCreeper

« Reply #151 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Yep,12-14" of solid ice everywhere else,follow the "highways" cross where everyone else is and you will be fine.I dont know why people insist on fishing right up against them,like they are some kind of secret fish magnet or something.EVERY time someone has gone through this year it has been right on one of them....

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Fishn sux and one fella went through on foot at the pressure ridge and pulled himself out,then the idiot slid back out on the hole while another idiot held his ankles trying to retrieve a $20 pole. ::)
Hey, $20 is $20, and if you are already wet....  ;D ;D

IceCreeper

« Reply #153 on: Feb 12, 2012, 09:30 PM »
Sure,drown urself and your buddy for $20,why not

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Feb 13, 2012, 03:56 AM »
Boy it doesn't take much incentive to prove yourself a jerk yet again.  ::)
(no it wasn't me who fell through the ice)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #155 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:06 PM »
Losing anything under the ice sucks. Fish are the worst! $20 or $100,... my "lucky" (p.o.s. $20) rod is priceless! ;)

Bullelk34

« Reply #156 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:17 PM »

I agree with you creeper- it takes a really selfish idiot to pull something like that.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #157 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Can't imagine the IQ of the genius that went along with the "just hold my ankles!" plan.  :o     Cover the children's eyes @)

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #158 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:25 PM »
"Hold my beer and watch this"?

Offline 12BHNTN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #159 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I've cautiously crossed that ridge on foot twice in the last week with no issues.  Take the time to look for a safe place to cross...fish smart people.  No fish or pole is worth a life and I'm sure your family will agree.  Fishing has definitely slowed but they're catchable.  We've been fishing the same spot in 35 fow and have brought home 8 perch and a trout each of the last two trips.  Lots of patience needed for those few fish...I hope it picks up again soon.  Those 20+ fish days are sure more enjoyable.  The fish finder has been picking up large fish suspended at 15'.  Any ideas as to what they would be?  Carp?  Trout?  Walleye?

Stay safe and happy fishing.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:48 PM »
A buddy of mine and myself were catching trout from top to bottom in 35FOW a couple weeks ago. Kida weird when out perch fishing and pull a trout off the bottom.

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Feb 14, 2012, 12:48 AM »
Trout where all over this weekend caught a few on the bottom and hooked another 10 in 10 to 15 feet of water(fishin in 35 to 40). Would show up on the screen and would reel up to em pop my jig a couple times and bam!! every time. They were all nice trout between 3 and 4 pound. Was some entertainment since could seem to find them fat little gold and black *****s this weekend.

IceCreeper

« Reply #162 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:50 AM »
Boy it doesn't take much incentive to prove yourself a jerk yet again.  ::)
(no it wasn't me who fell through the ice)
Once again you have proved your just a troll looking to start another internet tough guy contest,bugger off!This idiot had some younger kid out on the edge of the ridge WHERE HE JUST FELL THROUGH trying to hold on to his ankles while he fished in the HOLE with a ski pole trying to recover a rod,I wish that common sense was the rule but it isnt.

Offline Angulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:56 PM »
To change the subject - Did we ever get any ice at White Earth?

Offline c.w.f

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Feb 19, 2012, 07:07 PM »
Hey guys I've been wanting to fish canyon ferry all season and doing so it will be my first time out on this lake how is the ice and what some of the bad spots to stay away from???? Anything will help thanks guys

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #165 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:58 PM »
Hey guys I've been wanting to fish canyon ferry all season and doing so it will be my first time out on this lake how is the ice and what some of the bad spots to stay away from???? Anything will help thanks guys

Don't fish the pressure ridges unless someone is holding you by the ankles!  :roflmao:  And use a throw away rod and reel.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Angulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Feb 19, 2012, 11:06 PM »
The southern part of the lake has good ice. Anywhere in the silos area you should have 12" of good ice. The lake does form distinctive pressure ridges which should be avoided if you want to stay safe.

Offline c.w.f

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #167 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:45 PM »
Awesome thanks guys hope to meet some of ya out there! Tisk Tisk for the idiot that REALLY wanted the walmart ice rod!

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #168 on: Feb 20, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Watched some idiot Saturday drive his truck across the ridge pulling a big shanty. His buddy gets out of the truck. Lines him and yells hit it. As the truck went across you could see water splash out. What the hell is wrong with some of these people?? By the way he did make it.

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Feb 20, 2012, 08:35 PM »
Watched some idiot Saturday drive his truck across the ridge pulling a big shanty. His buddy gets out of the truck. Lines him and yells hit it. As the truck went across you could see water splash out. What the hell is wrong with some of these people?? By the way he did make it.
guess that guy doesnt have family or friends???

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:42 PM »
After we watched them my buddy and I sat there thinking what if they would have gone in. Do you go risk your own life to try and help or?????

Offline nic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:53 PM »
After we watched them my buddy and I sat there thinking what if they would have gone in. Do you go risk your own life to try and help or?????
i thought the same thing on beaver creek earlier this year..big dude and his wife on a 3 wheeler pulling all their shet came to talk to us...told them we were on 4" of ice...he didnt blink and headed across to the other side.. hole time im waiting for him/her to go down...they made it but what if...???

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #172 on: Feb 21, 2012, 11:20 AM »
:cookoo:

God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are CRAZY!

Offline baltimoremountainman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #173 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:07 PM »
Anyone been catching any ling?
Thinking of going up there Friday night.
There is no greater burden than a great potential.

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:31 PM »
Last night was slow. One ling at 6 pm and one walleye around eight or so. We left at 10 30. Both fish on bottom with sucker meat in 20 ft of water out of silos. Hoping to get up there Friday as well.
Y'all catchin?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #175 on: Feb 23, 2012, 11:21 AM »

Yeah. We went up two weeks ago to goose bay and it was quite slow. 1 ling and 1 huge bow. We fished until about 1 am.
I think we will head back up there to the same spot, or maybe around confederate. I've had really good luck taking those tiny glow sticks called beacons and putting them about an inch above my hook with sucker meat. They seem to love it.
Gunna head up to hyalite tonight..see if i cant jig a few up.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Feb 23, 2012, 11:23 AM »
To rainbow,

I've seen your posts about hyalite quite a bit...going up there at all before you move?

Offline IceRuki

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get busy living, or get busy dying...
« Reply #177 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Anyone been out from the Duck Creek side?  Hows the pressure ridges there and at Silos?  Heading out Saturday to see if there are any perch left....

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Feb 25, 2012, 08:09 PM »
Anyone been out from the Duck Creek side?  Hows the pressure ridges there and at Silos?  Heading out Saturday to see if there are any perch left....
X2 the preesure ridge coming from the silos is getting Ummm... Interesting. Water was over the top of my boots at the bridge when I was trying to deside if I could cross back. think going to try going out from Duck creek in the morning..???..

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Feb 26, 2012, 03:51 PM »
fished down by the dikes today got there at four this morning caught two rainbows before it got light had to hits around ten left at noon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.