Author Topic: Tricks you use to see the line so you can tie on jig  (Read 3334 times)

Offline beau2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tricks you use to see the line so you can tie on jig
« on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:48 AM »
I have a hard time seeing the line when ice fishing.  I am old (73) but my vision is 20/20 with glasses.  Does colored line help?  Does using colored line reduce catch?  Some of the really small jigs are a real treat to get tied on.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tricks you use to see the line so you can tie on jig
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:56 AM »
For the last few years now I've needed to make changes as well. Haven't changed line color but rather, have purchased zoom glasses and fast snaps tied to the line rather than re-tie with every jig or lure change.  So far so good but, next year I'm sure stronger glasses will be in order.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:57 AM »
i thought i was old until i seen your age sir. i also have trouble seeing different color and size of line. i was thinking that the needle threaders that my grandma used might help. i will have to go to a craft shop and see what they have. i really don't think that color matters that much to the fish as it does to the fisherman.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:00 AM »
The only thing I would try is a pair of reading glasses with a magnifier of 2.5 or higher. I have some sunglasses that have 2.5 built into them like bifocals.
<===Lefty===

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:06 AM »
For the last few years now I've needed to make changes as well. Haven't changed line color but rather, have purchased zoom glasses and fast snaps tied to the line rather than re-tie with every jig or lure change.  So far so good but, next year I'm sure stronger glasses will be in order.
I'm thinking of the smallest fast snaps as well. I wear no-line bifocals and 1-2# test can be a challenge! Has anyone any experience with the fast snaps in an ice fishing situation ??? :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:11 AM »
I'm thinking of the smallest fast snaps as well. I wear no-line bifocals and 1-2# test can be a challenge! Has anyone any experience with the fast snaps in an ice fishing situation ??? :icefish:

Do you mean a swivel with a snap ring? I use them, have forever. I pre-tie all my leaders with a double figure 8 loop at the opposite end of the hook and it's good to go. My tackle box is full of pre-tied leaders of all different test lines and hook sizes.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Lasic?  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Have used the fast snaps for years with great success.  Haven't seen a difference in bite frequency.  When fish are in the negative mode in the colum, doesn't matter what you have or don't have, getting them to bite is always the challenge.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Lefty: would love to get a pair of them, where and are they polarized?

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:14 AM »
a lot of posts on the snaps and they say they are great. my problem is i don't retie enough and i think if i use the snap it will only compound the problem. not to say that it is not a good idea.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:17 AM »
I think your right, the best scenerio is to not use the snaps, keep it simple.  I use them basically when fish are in the negative mode and get in the panic mode and start trying everything in the tackle box,  Thats when it pays off, kind like changing tires at NASCAR!  But honestly, hasn't hurt my strike to catch ratio.

Fishmon

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:22 AM »
Fast snaps work great; just get the smaller ones.  I have 20/20 vision with my glasses on (distance correction) and don't need glasses up close.  However, as a fly fisherman, I have long used the reading magnifying glasses to tie those #16, 18 flies on a number 5 or 6 tippet.  Either method works.   Sometimes the horizontal jigs do no hang right on the fast snaps, but this might not affect your catch rate.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:25 AM »
I have used the small black fast snaps for 3 years now and love them.
I bought them for my Gpa that is 88 and he uses them now I was sick of retying his jigs for him every ten min.
I just retie before each outing and never have had a break off.
They are small enough that the fish don't see them and they give jigs a nice action.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:26 AM »
Yup, Just like fishing line......use the smallest you can get away with.  Perfect for fly rodin!!

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:31 AM »
the other thing that i do is carry 10 to many extra rods in a rod bag. most of what i want to use are on those rods in the sled. i try to stay one step ahead of the fish and the weather. it is easier to tie these on in the garage or house than it is in my shanty. i do carry a lot of ice jigs just in case.

Offline MoreTroutPls

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:36 AM »
I've got the same issue.  I like fast snaps, but try to retie at least at the start of each trip and after any large fish, pickerel or if the line gets rubbed on the edge of the hole.  I use 2.5x reading glasses from a discount store.  I also try to have a light background behind my jig.  The black fabric of my shelter in the background makes seeing the line and hook eye difficult.  It is much easier with white snow or the sky in the background.  At night or inside my shelter, I use a headlamp.
Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.
Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:41 AM »

Well back when I used 4# lines and 4/6/8 size lures it was never a problem, and still isn't. Since joining IS the line I use has gotten thinner and the lures smaller just about every year. Old eyes, even with bifocals, cold stiff fingers, etc. combined with these other factors means I'm tying my gill setups at home.  :(  It also means I'm carrying 5 different rods set up just for gills.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:55 AM »
I have progressive trifocals in my glasses and when I was tying some fast snaps on the other day I noticed it was easier to see the line with a dark background. I had a black portfolio laying on the table and found myself holding the snaps over it. I have also seen people with black lights on their bass boats and monofilament lights up like a neon tube. I have an ultra violet flashlight, but haven't tried it on mono yet. I guess getting older comes with it's problems, but is still better than the alternative. :o ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Fast snaps work for me.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:00 AM »
The only thing I would try is a pair of reading glasses with a magnifier of 2.5 or higher. I have some sunglasses that have 2.5 built into them like bifocals.

That's what I use. Can't do a thing without them.   @)

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:25 AM »
What type of "Fast Snaps" are you guys using?

I started using snaps last year and like others had success without having to retie all the time. I call myself the "Chameleon" because I'm always changing it up if I don't catch much in 15-20mn. Just like summer, put on a snap, try it out, change it up. If I had to keep re-tying i'd hardly be fishing. Plus with 2# line, it can take a while in the wind to tie a solid knot.

I use the smallest black snaps I can find. Is there a specific style or brand people use?
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Charliebrn, They have these at bass pro in Auburn Mi. at the fly fishin shop, $20 , they are polarized, with a small circle of clear, magnified lens at the bottom, very clever and maybe an online item. I am not much of a fly guy, and thought of them imediatly for the ice. I left without them, and to this day , don't know why. The next time there, they come home with me, and I belive they have different powers

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:33 AM »
If ya do a search for No Knot Fast Snaps you will find a bunch of places to buy them. My local bait shops carry them.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:36 AM »
These are like the ones I have.I don't remember them being that expensive though.
http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Polarized-Tying-Magnifying-Brown/dp/B004ZG8NNG/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1324053339&sr=8-46
<===Lefty===

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:47 AM »
If ya do a search for No Knot Fast Snaps you will find a bunch of places to buy them. My local bait shops carry them.

Thanks Dawg. I just use standard snaps (no swivel), I have seen these things you mentioned and wondered how they work. I might have to give them a try.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:00 PM »
I bring extra rods and use small snaps whenever I can get away with them. You have to tie directly when you are using small jigs like a marmooska. I try to have the seat for my bucket in the background it is a red crimson in color and find teh 2# test line is easier to see that way. At 65 I still dont need glasses but that real fine line is difficult to see on ice or low light conditions.

Offline Tailchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:16 PM »
Glasses, fas snaps, duo locs, & I carry 3 or 4 rods.   At 67 I don't want to retie on the ice if I can help it.  I pre-tie at home under a mag. lite.  Most of the time I use 1 to 2 flys above a jig.  The last couple of years , I just put one fly on above a jig or spoon. I have been using yellow Hi- Vis Stren fo about 40 years. I can really read the lite bites. If the water is super clean I tie a piece of fluoro carbon leader about 18 to 24 inches. I also have been tying the yellow  Stren all the way to the bottom jig.  No leader knot.  I then tie my flies on a small piece of fluoro out from the main line. I haven't noticed any less fish because of colored line.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:30 PM »
I have a hard time seeing the line when ice fishing.  I am old (73) but my vision is 20/20 with glasses.  Does colored line help?  Does using colored line reduce catch?  Some of the really small jigs are a real treat to get tied on.
about the same age i use a magnifier and keep 6 rods set up with different jigs
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT

I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline JMJ IA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I have a hard time seeing the line when ice fishing.  I am old (73)

73 and still hitting the ice...!  I tip my cap to you good sir. Keep after it.

BTW, I use red Berkley line, 2 lb test and I think it helps in being able to see it while tying on jigs etc and have never felt it's hindered my catch.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.  ~Author Unknown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.