Author Topic: Tricks you use to see the line so you can tie on jig  (Read 3333 times)

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tricks you use to see the line so you can tie on jig
« Reply #30 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Last year I used a yellow ice fishing line (6#) on my walleye jig poles.  Did not effect my catch, my best year yet!  This year I have redone all my poles with a red Ice line after doing research the diameter of the red line I will be using will not effect fish catching (so say the experts).

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:35 PM »
The different colored mono lines are designed for trolling, when you have 5 or 6 lines in the water, to keep track of which line goes to which rod.  The fish can't see them.  I don't know if it would help with tying or not.  I like the ice fishing lines; they don't get as stiff.  I'm not sure that they have different colored ones or not.  I haven't seen any.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:39 PM »
I have often seen where the only difference between me and my buddy or son when jigging for walleyes was the snap.  Of those times where there was a difference it was close to 100%.  Meaning, me catching lots of walleyes one after another while the other was almost zero walleyes.  This was using the same exact clear 6 lb mono and the same 1/4 ounce Sickle jig baited with the head of a nightcrawler.  I'm not saying that the difference is always great but I have too often seen a difference over the years.

I have often seen that the colour and the size of the line does make a difference.  The size is more important than the colour.  For brook trout and walleye, the difference between 4 lb test and 6 lb test is small but there is a difference.  The difference between 4 lb clear mono and 8 lb clear mono is quite high.  I have not found much difference for brook trout and walleye when using clear mono or low viz green or beige in 4 lb test.

I am 65 years old and I need glasses to see up close.  What I do is to find something with a contrasting colour that does not reflect light.  A piece of dark cloth works fine.  I then tie my line to the jig with the dark cloth in the background.  It's a question of having decent light from behind and a good background to tie the line.  Some knots are easier to tie than others and the Palomar knot seems to be the easiest yet one of the strongest knots and on top of that, it's foolproof.  The improved clinch knot is a tad stronger but it has to be carefully tied.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:57 PM »
the other thing that i do is carry 10 to many extra rods in a rod bag. most of what i want to use are on those rods in the sled. i try to stay one step ahead of the fish and the weather. it is easier to tie these on in the garage or house than it is in my shanty. i do carry a lot of ice jigs just in case.
Yup, I do carry my jigboxes etc, but I set up about 8 rods with different offerings the night before I go fishing.
No rush, tie em on , check the knots , clip em snug , all while sitting in a cushy chair with good light!  ;D I have 2 spoon rods and I use small snaps on them for quick spoon/rap changes on ice without tying. I won`t even attempt to tie the 2# Gamma I use for pannies on 2 of my rods while on the ice, forget about it...not unless it is absolutely necessary! ;) I have a spring bobber threader that I made using light wire, I am going to try using that with the 2#, stick it thru the jigeye and pull line back thru jigeye with it. Still gutta fight to get the knot tied, but at least I think I can thread the needle! ;D

Offline beau2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 16, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback fellas.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Something else to be considered is trying to tie on a small jig using very light line, sitting on a bucket with the wind blowing and the temps around 0 degrees!! I know, that's why they sell shelters and heaters!! All I have is an old JON-E hand warmer that's well over 40 years old!!(the MADE IN USA one) I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season! MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2011, 05:20 PM »
I carry a cheap pair of reading glasses and put them over my bifocals when I need extra magnification. ;)

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2011, 05:41 PM »
I have progressive trifocals in my glasses and when I was tying some fast snaps on the other day I noticed it was easier to see the line with a dark background. I had a black portfolio laying on the table and found myself holding the snaps over it. I have also seen people with black lights on their bass boats and monofilament lights up like a neon tube. I have an ultra violet flashlight, but haven't tried it on mono yet. I guess getting older comes with it's problems, but is still better than the alternative. :o ;)

Same here, Ive gotta have a dark backdrop to see the line better. (and my reading glasses)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #38 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:00 PM »
I like to keep some of those cheap needel threaders in my takle box and pocket.

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Yellow Stren, 2lb. is easy to tie as rope.
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Bring someone younger with you to do all the work  ;D!

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:10 AM »
Martian: Thanks for the heads up.  I live in extreme Rural America and one of these days when I make it into civilization, I'm gonna get me a pair of them glasses.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #42 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:16 AM »
I put fast snaps on all of my ice rods this year and will use them regardless. I will be trying the QuikSwirl connectors too to see if they will work because they look a bit stronger and more reliable than the snaps.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:26 AM »
Give us an update purple floyd on those.  Have thought about them also but the snaps have been working just great so far.  But always willing to try something new.

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:58 AM »
One rod and a fast snap, jigs in right hand pocket in lrg. ice tackle kit. Hole jumping at its finest. Don't need all those poles because to worried about the next hole I'm going to. Everyone a happy Holiday and good fishing. We lost our ice last week and just have frozen scum ice right now and it looks like it could be a while yet according to the weather man.  NUTS........Steve

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:09 AM »
At 69 with trifocals, plus my hands shake, it can be very difficult.  I too carry carry pre-tied rods and use No Knot Snaps.  Now I use a trick I learned while watching my grandson tie using more line with large loops, like seeing a much larger knot.  Putting the line through the eye is still difficult but once done I prefer to double the line back through the eye for strength.  Put some saliva on the line and it will help hold the line end while sliding it through the eye.  Then make the knot on a loop of 6"-10" of doubled line.  Besides tying knots allows you to spend more time on the ice.  (If this was hard to follow let me know)
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #46 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:51 AM »
I like to put the line through the eye, back through the eye, pull a fairly long loop and tie a Palomar knot. This way I can have a long loop to work with and still get a tight knot.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:44 PM »
Cant use fast snaps, i use jogs that dont have eye but have a hole through the body of the jig. I find their presentations is better than the ones with the eye.

Offline lvwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:49 PM »
I like to put the line through the eye, back through the eye, pull a fairly long loop and tie a Palomar knot. This way I can have a long loop to work with and still get a tight knot.

.....that's what I was trying to say..... I think.....
NRA Life Member

Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:03 PM »
palamor knot  its easyest for me tye
Never to many short poles

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:11 PM »
I gave up. I use the obe-wan jedi technique.... I learned to tie knots pretty much blind by wrapping the line around select fingers and counting twists. The only part I need to see is putting the line through the eye of the jig.

Snaps are not cool with size 6 and smaller jigs.

Tying line is my enemy!!

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:18 PM »
go find your significant others sewing kit, and jack one of these from them

its called a wire loop needle threader and it works by jamming the wire loop through the eye on the jig, and thread the line through the loop, then pull the wire loop back through the eye of the jig and boom, you have a threaded jig with no squinting what so ever.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.