The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: PA Deer season results  (Read 5477 times)

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
PA Deer season results
« on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Who has venison for the ice this year. I have hot sausage and bologna ready! Just need the ice now!!!

Offline doubletreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: PA Deer season results
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Nice buck!  :) But no venison for me. Still late season to get a doe though  ;D
Michigan State University

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:45 AM »
Hit a small but nice 6 pt openning morning, but ran off into neighbors property for their taking. I did end up with a doe on the last friday which Ill be cutting up this saturday since we're still waiting for good ice. I can taste the kielbasi, jerky, stew, chili, and backstraps now!

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:00 AM »
the crew took 3 nice 8's this season. 2 in bow season and one in rifle. try to put a pic

Offline Baxter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2011, 03:46 PM »
Got a doe the first saturday,had most of my meat canned and a little bologna made.It probably won't last long once I get it back,it's like the Hostess powdered donuts once you open the bag they're gone.I'll have to settle for some hot stix or bologna from Stillers(red/white) in Shippenville for my snacking.Enjoy your venison and good fishing to you all.
HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:12 PM »
how do you post a pic on here? anybody help me here?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2011, 06:19 PM »
how do you post a pic on here? anybody help me here?
Do you have photobucket? If not get it and add your pics from your computer to there first.

Offline iceman clem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch all kind of fish big and small
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2011, 06:24 PM »
ill bet that was tuff to drag ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Wasn't to bad with a little help from my buddies.. ;D :whistle:

Offline Igloolou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Congrats on the buck.  :thumbsup:

I'll be eating beef on the ice this year. :'(

Only got out once and didn't see anything.
"Don't mind the cracking, it's only getting thicker"!!

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:05 AM »
After the rain finally stopped on the last thursday of the archery season I figured I would have about two hours of good light so I grabbed the crossbow & headed for the woods. Not long after I got set up a doe & two yearlings came by & were constantly looking behind them. They were still in sight when a six point came in with his head down & smelling the ground. It was a legal deer & all I was after was some meat so I said "Hey" & he stopped & looked right at me & I had the crosshairs on his chest so I squeezed the trigger. He did a high mule kick & ran off into a swampy thick area. I waited almost two hrs & by that time it was dark. I put on my head lamp & went over & found my arrow stuck deep in the ground & completely saturated with blood. I didn't find any blood right where I hit him but found good blood about ten yds from where I hit him. I tracked him for about only 15 yds & the blood got very heavy & I shined my headlamp a head & saw him piled up. Both lungs were destroyed & close to a gallon of blood ran out of him when I opened him up. Short successful hunt. Gotta love the crossbow!

http://skam232.smugmug.com/Hobbies/2001-Crossbow-Buck/20025885_bj5MPK#1578494070_jR6tpDX

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:10 AM »
sweet story would put my tale up but would be epic. congrats and lets hope for deep cold spell

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:47 PM »
nice to see you had some luck as well, Jim. "meats meat and a mans gotta eat!"

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

ICE REBEL

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Glad to see you back Jim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Nice job on the 6 pt. Jim! Yes meat is meat and you can't eat the horns, but this so happened to be my biggest to date..so I'm have a shoulder mount done. I may never get a bigger one so I'd like one good mount on the wall. Now lets pray for ICE!!!!

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:08 AM »
Nice job on the 6 pt. Jim! Yes meat is meat and you can't eat the horns, but this so happened to be my biggest to date..so I'm have a shoulder mount done. I may never get a bigger one so I'd like one good mount on the wall. Now lets pray for ICE!!!!

There's absolutely nothin wrong with that buck! He'll make a nice addition to the wall!

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:11 AM »
sweet story would put my tale up but would be epic. congrats and lets hope for deep cold spell
Hey Clayboy.....Post it. I like to read a good huntin or fishin story & I'm sure a lot of others here do too!

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2011, 07:15 AM »
Glad to see you back Jim

Glad to be back. Hope to see you & the rest of the Rebels at Joel's uncle's place this year......If we ever get some good ice!

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:36 AM »
OK. I hunted pretty hard all yr. I put out 6 cams on the 2 trax I hunt about 300 acers. I saw 2 real good bucks b4 season and that was very low for this farm. WE started the bow season and saw little. And the bucks that were out were tiny. I never in 15 yrs saw so many dif. spikes. Well this went on for 4 weeks and 2 big boys showed up on cam ( at night on scrapes) The mon of the last week my bro-in-law arrowed the big wide * I seen nothing but spikes for 4 weeks but saw huge rubs and scrapes everywhere. I hunted my number 1 spot a little more than I should have. I was seeing diks. I got a pic of a good buk and moved on him. Hunted an area never hunted all yr. Day 1 saw guess yeah spike. That was the day it snowed. Then  the next morn same tiny buk searching for doe. Moved for the last try back to my river spot that is my #1. Sat from just after 2pm. nothing to see and nothing going on but a woodpecker 2 trees away. Sitting there I relived last year when I shot an 8pt from that stand. I thought to myself come 5oclock and I see nothing it is the season. Then about 4:20 I thought I saw movement in the swamp. I heard a splash then a leg then I deer came out . then 2 I saw the horns and looked for 4. Then time slowed. The doe walked by at 6 yrds and the 8pt stayed at the edge  when the doe got passed me he then started to follow again he was at 8 .10 yrds. got behind a big cherry and I drew the bow. gave him a blah and settled the dot. "no" A limb right in the boiler room. So I lifted a little up just above that limb and touched the trigger. Thud and kick he ran 30 yrds and looked at the doe. Then his legs wobbled and he went down. All I could think was you got to be shiin me. Last hour for real.  AND THAT WAS THE STORY. TOLD YOU EPIC

Offline archer71xx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2011, 05:14 AM »
Got 2 does in md and this buck in pa the last week of archery. Done in pa, but still gonna hunt md till the end of January since I can't get on any ice.  :(

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Great story Clayboy! Looks like all your hard work & dedication paid off! What a way to end the season! Thanks for posting! :clap:

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 18, 2011, 07:56 AM »
Very nice buck Archer! That's a Dandy! :thumbsup:

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:09 AM »
Killed a small on on opening day, hopefully kill some more in muzzleloading season. If you want to see a nice one come by the house and I will show you a 171 1/4 BC buck I killed out in KS. It would score 191 or so but has some broken tines. I don't think the deer here are near as big as out there. But a deer down is better than one not! ;D
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

ICE REBEL

« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Killed a small on on opening day, hopefully kill some more in muzzleloading season. If you want to see a nice one come by the house and I will show you a 171 1/4 BC buck I killed out in KS. It would score 191 or so but has some broken tines. I don't think the deer here are near as big as out there. But a deer down is better than one not! ;D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:08 PM »
hun ter density is no contest here. You will never see a 5 yr old buck here in pa.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I have to disagree with you there clayboy. It may be hard to find a 5+ year old buck here, but there are some out there. And on state land too,not just private land.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2011, 03:46 PM »
I mean you have a better chance seeing old buk in kans. You could go your whole life and never see one here in pa. I only ever saw maybe 1 and that was on film. never with mine own eyes. Found him dead 2 yrs later 21 points and 20+ wide main beam 23  / 25 inchers junk everywhere.

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Clayboy, he was a 3 year old not 5. The biggest reasons they are so much bigger in KS is for several reasons.

1. According to a guy I know who is a wildlife biologist there are like 20 some subspecies of whitetail. So to say whitetail is like saying human but are you Asian, European, or Somoan? big differances. I have several bucks mounted from different states and you can really see the differances in them on the wall.

2. Age is part of it some do live longer out there.

3. Food, there is much more farming there than in PA. There a farm is anywhere from 1,000 to 30,000 acres. Here you are lucky to see 200 acre farms. Could not turn our equipment around on most PA farms and all of it is in crops.

But genetics are the real reason.
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:27 PM »
Yup, there are subspecies, even NY deer are a little different I guess, and the food .

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Genetics are not the problem.  Nor is it the availability of food.   It is simple.  Numbers of hunters/acre/male whitetail.  No one will tell me differently.  I would waiger that the number of whitetail bucks that make it to 4.5 years old in PA is less than 10%. 

You hit the nail on the head when you said that a farm there is 1,000 to 30,000 acres.  A mature whitetail buck needs no more than 2 acres of crops.  Each of those farms in the midwest is leased by an outfitter or hunted by no more than 4 hunters.  For every 1,000 acres in PA, there are at least 30 to 40 hunters harvesting bucks.

I agree with Clayboy. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.