The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: So how many of you still don't believe in global warming  (Read 9506 times)

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
Seriously, shouldn't 65 degrees in December be more than enough evidence
I like fishing. No point trying to argue.

surflizard

Re: So how many of you still don't believe in global warming
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:13 PM »
It could be worse, Christmas day 1996, 62 degrees, it set the all time Record !!

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:46 PM »
Then why has almost everyone left MFF if it is not time yet? we need to be patient

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Seriously, shouldn't 65 degrees in December be more than enough evidence
what's the control in the study?

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:57 PM »
what's the control in the study?
that is a valid point. i believe it is the average temperature over a very long time, but there is no way to have an absolute value as an average

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:02 PM »
i think its bullcrap... prove it and i will believe it

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Don't want to start an arguement here. Nat geo did a documentary called 6 degrees could change the world, i thought it was very cool.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:06 PM »
no one is trying to pick a fight, im just waiting for some real evidence and looking forward to a gentleman debate!

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Ok, and I respect your opinion, just disagree

Offline Gfish69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Way to go kiddo,nice to see someone your age with a backbone ,hold your ground in a gentlemanly way.....To get back on topic, I remember  1 degree f. F..or the Christmas day high t iemp. back ??? in the early 80's so who can be sure??

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2011, 04:04 PM »
According to the scientists who study Meterology, The warm up or cool down of the Pacific ocean currents temperature of as little as 4 degrees is what triggers the Weather generators known as El Nino and LaNina ! The El Nino is known as the southern Hemisperical event and the La Nina is known as the Northern Hemisperical event !
El Nino years tend shift the jet stream in a southerly direction to generate wamer temperature and excessive Moisture in the form of rain and Tornados and severe winter storms ! La Nina years tend to shift the jetstream in a more Northerly pattern that creates Colder temperatues and dryer weather ! According the the Bone Rattlers at NOAA [National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration], we are currently in the second half of a La Nina Pattern !
 So I would say it is anybody guess as to when we will actually have enough ice to get out and go fishing ??

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2011, 04:15 PM »
Global warming refers to the raising average temps of the earth atmosphere AND oceans. Over the past 100 years the average temps have increased 1.4 degrees. However, 2/3 of that increase has been over the last 3 decades. There are numerous arguments as to why that is. One being simply that today technology being so much better than it was 100 years ago. Provides more accurate reading than the first half of the century.

Basically stating, an increase of 1.4 degrees is definitely within in the realm of human error.

All that being said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that all the pollutants we are dumping into our atmosphere is having a negative affect..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2011, 04:35 PM »

All that being said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that all the pollutants we are dumping into our atmosphere is having a negative affect..
Indeed, And with an energy source that could power the entire world without any harmful effects, the sun, we have the potential to be able to power earth cleanly. Or we could still pay like 3 and a half dollars per gallon for gas and some ungodly amount per barrel of oil. It is kind of sad actually, solar power is not a new idea, but instead of pursuing advances in this we fight wars over the oil we use. And the sun is right there.... Also an idea, why don't we use the energy from waves, They don't stop and are extremely powerful. I geuss i am just a little worried about my future and the future of all wilderness and creatures. Not a lot of my generation still take the time to enjoy life's beauty. most of my hobbies revolve around this, whether it be photography, fishing, birding, hiking or mineral collecting, they all take you places far from the cities. i do enjoy sports, very much so actually, but there is nothing better than teasing a big trout or salmon in a crystal clear river or watching deer wander in a field. part of the reason i love fishing is the conservation, the beauty of the surroundings and the determination of a fighting fish. I do hope this world doesn't become an entire city with no wilderness. And to think, some of us are annoyed with beavers destroying habitat. Well that is the pot calling the kettle black. We all have imperfections. like right now i should be doing my homework.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Ethan, sometimes i think its your dad replying to these threads with how well thought out and spoken your posts are.

I agree, there were numerous means of untapped power. The world is now just starting to tap into them. Hybrid cars are becoming more common. With full electric cars on the horizon. You see windmills and solar panels popping up all over the place as well. We gotta start some where, and I think we are taking steps in the right direction.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2011, 04:54 PM »
My dad views the world in a similar manner, he is always telling that people are what is wrong with the world, and in most cases i agree. He means the majority of the people who care more about money than anything else, or are extremely wealthy for nothing, like many superstars today. or the people who are just plain idiots, ever here of the stella awards? look it up. I hope i am not offending anyone, but my dad also feels as though many of the problems in the world are because of religion, and without religion there would be less confrontations. and in many cases, I agree. But in truth, there really is no right or wrong, and prejudiceor other motivations cause almost all of the worlds problems. For example, we shouldn't care about celebrities just because they have a lot of money, they are just normal people who for some reason are more important than others, mainly money. I don't know, but somethings do make me angry.

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2011, 04:57 PM »
dont beleve in it. We got lots of ice here ;D

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2011, 05:03 PM »
I see, and is that because you live in a much colder climate..... hmmmm i bet if we compare avg temps, then massachusetts is always warmer,but that is just a thought ;)

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2011, 05:12 PM »
And while we are on the subject, just found this on facebook. In the words of the man who posted the link, "Just more proof that people are...... retarded"
http://www.parentdish.com/2006/10/30/video-game-where-jews-and-atheists-must-be-killed-or-converted-d/

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Ethan,

Your Dad sadly is correct it's all about the money. Check out what the oil companies posted for profits.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The United States is awash in gasoline. So much so, in fact, that the country is exporting a record amount of it.

The country exported 430,000 more barrels of gasoline a day than it imported in September, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. That is about twice the amount at the start of the year, and experts and industry insiders say the trend is here to stay.

The United States began exporting gas in late 2008. For decades prior, starting in 1960, the country used all the gas it produced here plus had to import gas from places in Europe.

But demand for gas has dropped nearly 10% in recent years. It went from a peak of 9.6 million barrels a day in 2007 to 8.8 million barrels today, according to the EIA.
10 most fuel efficient cars

The drop was caused partially by the recession but also by the advent of more fuel efficient vehicles, higher prices and the greater use of ethanol as an ingredient in gasoline. Demand for other products made from crude oil like diesel and jet fuel has also declined, although not as much.

To be sure, the United States is still importing plenty of oil to make that gasoline -- and is still dependent on foreign countries for well over half the crude it uses. (Read: OPEC: We want clean energy.)

But now the country's massive refining infrastructure is producing more gasoline, diesel and jet fuel than the United States needs, freeing it up to be exported to places like Brazil, Mexico and Chile where demand is still strong.

The Wall Street Journal, which reported on the export trend last week, said the United States is on track this year to be a net exporter of refined products for the first time in 62 years.

"We've got plenty of excess refining capacity," said Jonathan Cogan, a spokesman for EIA. "It's a reminder that this is a global oil market, and it's reflected by the movements of products to where they will get the highest prices."

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:03 PM »
It is all driven by money. I am finding this interesting, it seems as though many  sportsman have similar opinions on the world and its many sad flaws. Oh boy, philosophy!

Offline iwantone2.4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:09 PM »
I see, and is that because you live in a much colder climate..... hmmmm i bet if we compare avg temps, then massachusetts is always warmer,but that is just a thought ;)

Bet if we did compare temps we would be colder. And i would not have it any other way @) :tipup:

When luck becomes habit it turns into skill

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:19 PM »
i think its bullcrap... prove it and i will believe it
im with you on this one its just an off year last year i was fishing by this time one year of global isnt going to throw the temperatures this wacked it might be true but this year isnt a result of global warming just an off year hopefully this means it will be a winter that lasts into april!

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:23 PM »
I'm gona go out on a limb here and say we will be ice fishing on Dec 18 th............Dec 18 th 2012 !!!!!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Chevy volt. Rush (peace be upon him) Is right! ;D

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:12 PM »
Politics on the Shanty.  This can't end well. 

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:15 PM »
Whether you believe in Global Warming or not (and I do), we have had the technology for a number of years now to get ALL our electricity (Day and Night) with Solar Thermal generation for the whole US. This is not a new technology and all it would take is a square area of 100 mile on one edge (of course you would make many smaller “Fields”). Why haven’t we done this or at least started? (this is a rhetorical question...)

For many years the Europeans have had the equivalent of 44 miles to the gallon standard and if we had the same, we would not need to import a drop of oil. It’s funny how the car companies make a big deal about 30 MPG…

If we lived in an efficient way, we would not have to give up our “toys”, but we would not need to worry about what religious fanatics are doing to each other in other parts of the world. Our blood that has been spilled and the trillions spent all so that the oil companies can get even richer, would not be necessary.

I do believe that Global Warming is a problem and the evidence points to us as “pushing” it along, but we as a country are missing the bigger picture.  Even it the thousands of scientist are wrong, if we make the changes that we need to make happen, we are all be better off. We will be richer, heather, more stable (sun light does not go up in price) and a better planet. So unless you are big oil, (that will loss out sucking us all dry), why wouldn’t you want to make the changes that are needed?

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:20 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I'm gona go out on a limb here and say we will be ice fishing on Dec 18 th............Dec 18 th 2012 !!!!!

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Politics on the Shanty.  This can't end well.
It is going well so far

Offline ebour

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • youth weekend warrior
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Allen, i totally agree with you. My theory is having a project like building solar fields would cost taxes, and many people are not willing to pay the extra money. it is a project that could employ many people, but god forbid if there are more taxes. i geuss i shouldn't be going on about taxes as i don't pay, and speaking of, where are our taxes going?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Reminds me of the "UNION" thread last year. That was a good one. Jr. 58 and Campfindit were like brothers from another mother. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.