Author Topic: Team CT Outing #4 - discussion  (Read 2686 times)

Trooper Bri

Team CT Outing #4 - discussion
« on: Nov 19, 2011, 11:07 PM »
Another part of the tradition of going to the CTO ice fishing seminar every year is to check with Blaine to plan this event around his pending tour schedule. What we talked about was the 1'st weekend in February (4-5'th) as the primary date, and use the following weekend as the rain date. Wethersfield Cove is still the spot.
But not long after that I realized that the Superbowl is on the 5'th. So, need feedback on that. Our Iceholes event on the other site is likely going to be in Jan this year to accommodate our buddy Kyle who'll be home from Afghanistan for the month.

I know it's still over 2 months out, but what better way to get the forum cooking. Suggestions, ideas, volunteers, whatever. Dunno if last year can be topped, but trying can't hurt. ;)

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
Re: Team CT Outing #4 - discussion
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:23 AM »
Date sounds good to me, plenty of time to fish, then get home in time for the superbowl.  Just hope we have good weather this year, last year the snow date was during my Champlain trip...if it gets snowed out again, the same thing will happen.    I take 2 weeks off for ice fishing, this would be a great way to start it off.

Offline calicohunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Bri, the dates fine with me and I'll be looking forward to it.  We had a great time last year and the turnout was fantastic.  If I remember correctly it even got a little bit of news coverage!

I would like to throw out an idea out here to be considered by the crew on iceshanty.... I think Ct. Outfitters goes all out in supporting this forum with the annual get together and their one of kind season long tournament.  On the day of the get together they offer free bait to all attendees and the prizes that they present for the outing and tournament are pretty incredible to say the least. 

Would it be possible for us as a group to demonstrate our gratitude to CT.Outfitters for their support by using the get together  to raise donations for the fishing program that CT. Outfitters collects money for within the season long tournament? ???

I do not remember the name of the organization but remember that it provided opportunities for underprivileged kids to get involved in fishing.  I may be remembering incorrectly, but I think a few hundred dollars was raised in the season long tournament last year.  Looking at the number of fishermen that showed up for the get together last year we could easily surpass that by collecting a small donation from participants. 

I feel we owe CT.Outfitters a larger contribution...so, what do you guys say ???

Trooper Bri

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:40 PM »
That's a great idea calicohunter!

Just the type of ideas we need to make the outing better and help get youth into fishing. I thought Outfitters collected gear for the organization as well, I forget. No doubt there's a rod/reel gathering dust in my holders.
I'm sure Blaine or Gary will chime in and let us know what the deal is.

Contacting the media and getting them out there was a great idea too. I'm sure they liked reporting on something different for a change, and getting them back won't be hard.

Keep the ideas, comments, whatever coming. This is a Team event, which means it's your event!

Offline AustinB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2011, 09:02 PM »
date sounds good to me and calicos got a good idea goin there
Tight Lines

Offline silverado2500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:54 PM »
i didnt see it mention but were would this be held

Offline AustinB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:07 PM »
Last year it was held at wethersfield cove off the CT river.
Tight Lines

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2011, 12:53 PM »

Would it be possible for us as a group to demonstrate our gratitude to CT.Outfitters for their support by using the get together  to raise donations for the fishing program that CT. Outfitters collects money for within the season long tournament? ???

I do not remember the name of the organization but remember that it provided opportunities for underprivileged kids to get involved in fishing. 

I feel we owe CT.Outfitters a larger contribution...so, what do you guys say ???

First of all, you owe us nothing. Secondly, THANKS! ;D

We work with a couple of different programs. We have been doing more and more with the CT C.A.R.E. program over the last couple of years... CT Aquatic Resource Education. I am a certified instructor for the program. We have raised donations for them which are then turned into fishing gear for the kids. We just supplied the program with 2 brand new Jiffy Propane augers... They fish fresh, salt and ice all year long. We do in house seminars for the kids and some stuff on the water as well. Their big event is held on the ice at Coventry every year.

It's not necessary, but if any money is raised from a hat being passed around, this is where we would like it to go...  ;)

Iceshanty ROCKS!!!!

Trooper Bri

Re: Team CT Outing #4 - discussion (Feb 5'th?)
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:36 PM »
The event will be at Wethersfield Cove silverado.  It's centrally located in the state which makes it easier for more to attend. It's a CT river cove, which means a wide variety of fish can come through the hole (and has). And it's Outfitters back yard!

Thanks for the info Blaine. Calicohunter, I'll leave this up to you. If you want to participate and take up a collection, or a raffle, or whatever to make a donation to CT C.A.R.E in the name of Team CT (or whatever), I'm sure I can find 5 or 10 bucks lying around for ya'. ;)

What else we got guys? Still a couple weeks away or so before I cobble an official thread to get us rolling.  Gonna stick with what works for the most part unless you guys say different.

Offline calicohunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Bri, If more guys respond and say they're willing to make a good will donation then I gladly set up a donation bucket...but a raffle...what the hell can I raffle that CT Outfitters isn't already giving away!!! ;D

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Donation bucket is great, my club does a 50/50 raffle (half would go to CARE) in this case.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Dunno, just brainstorming a bit calico. And drawing from experience. Here's an example.

Our local site (CTF) has an annual Kids Day tourney at Gardner Lake. Funds for this are actually raised from bucket raffles during our "regular" annual outings. Our buddy Paul manages the funds in an account that go towards holding the outing for our members kids. A day of fishing and fun for them. They buy and give away gear to the kids, cater in pizza, and we even have a member who is a magician, and does a show for the kids.

And I'm not assuming anything here. Just getting ready to organize our 4'th annual outing. What happens along the way happens. So, make it happen. ;)

I'll put 10 bucks in a hat, or put in 10 bucks to buy something from Outfitters to raffle.

Offline calicohunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2011, 07:29 AM »
Donation bucket is great, my club does a 50/50 raffle (half would go to CARE) in this case.

Alright, I like this idea...it's pretty straight forward and would be easy enough to set up and a cash prize should generate some interest. 

However, I'm still looking for more feedback from Iceshanty members...do you guys want to make a donation to C.A.R.E. as our way of saying thanks to CT. Outfitters?  The idea is out there and being tossed around....so let's hear something! ::)

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2011, 02:11 PM »
I am down for giving back to the fishing community. 5 bucks here and I like the date and time!

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2011, 03:08 PM »
I was updating some links on our web site and came across the page for the CT CARE Program

Here is a link to one of their Intro to Ice Videos I helped make...

Offline calicohunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Blaine, thanks for the link...it gives a nice picture of what the program is all about, getting the kids outside and demonstrating the fun of being on the ice...check it out fellow shantymen!

Also, Metalfish thanks for the feedback!

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2011, 05:05 PM »
always willing to pony up for a good cause. ;)

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:24 AM »
   I really hope I can make the ICE SHANTY outing this year ! !  Lots going on that time of the year, though..   CT OUTFITTERS goes above and beyond for this outing, and SHOULD  be thanked  ! !   Blaine, as well , with his seminars at the shop, and help with the C.A.R.E.  COVENTRY outing, and classes.    I am also a C.A.R.E. instructor and usually teach a couple classes per year.   They will gladly take ANY donations throughout the year,  because state funding seems to be less and less every year. 
      Over the past years, our other website (CTF) runs the GAME DINNER which donates a nice chunk of $$ to them.   We've purchased tons of terminal tackle, jigging rods, and those new power augers.   
    CTF runs a pike tournament that ALL proceeds go to the CTF KID'S DAY and  The GAME DINNER also contributes $$ towards that .   Last year, we spent over $1000.00 on less than 25 kids  :o
   Keep the thread rolling,  Team CT  !   

Offline ljtfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:03 AM »
I'm in! I would be glad to donate for the C.A.R.E.  I will be at the outing dates look good for me.

Offline calicohunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:18 PM »
Curley, P. Dona and ljtfisherman...thanks for the positive responses!  Let's keep the feedback coming in...it would be nice to hear from as many members as possible, so keep chiming in!  Thanks again.

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Another ? Would you like a official vid of the outting? If so I will not fish and make A CT vid!
What do you think. I will walk around all day. Just give me a sign you are shanty\m/
Also you can help with the vid. Intro send to me or any ideas!

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:06 AM »
You are more than welcome to film but I will also be running around with my camera as well...

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:35 PM »
Looks like that weekend is going to work for me too. I'm working Fri night but the rest of the weekend should be clear!

Bri, Blaine... Let me know what you guys need. Drive thru? ;D
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:43 PM »
The drive through was funny as hell Frank. I have  video loop playing at the shop and guys comment on that all the time...

Trooper Bri

« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2011, 06:24 PM »
Alright Spanker!  :thumbsup:

Offline AustinB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2011, 08:47 AM »
dates an donation are good with me  :tipup:
Tight Lines

Offline calicohunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 04, 2011, 06:03 PM »
Thanks Austin!  ;D

Trooper Bri

« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Any more input guys? I'm going to fire up the real thread in a week or so.

Only other idea I have is maybe an Iron Chef competition on the ice since I know some of you have skillz. Gary from CTO has a culinary background, I bet we could recruit him a the judge easily enough. ;)

Speaking of Outfitters. You guys planning on any kind of tourney for the event? I can pull a permit if needed, just wanted to see if you guys were participating in the outing again this year. 

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Trooper Bri, i think the permit is a good idea and nailing the date down. My club is sending in for a
                   permit and we are trying to shuffle dates around so we can be part of this outing and
                   thanks for the work your putting into this.

Jammer

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Any more input guys? I'm going to fire up the real thread in a week or so.

Only other idea I have is maybe an Iron Chef competition on the ice since I know some of you have skillz. Gary from CTO has a culinary background, I bet we could recruit him a the judge easily enough. ;)

Speaking of Outfitters. You guys planning on any kind of tourney for the event? I can pull a permit if needed, just wanted to see if you guys were participating in the outing again this year.

HELL YEAH to both ideas  ;D

I talked briefly with Gary about a "cook off"... He's up for it but his idea was to have guys cook similar stuff, say chilli? What do you think?

We will definitely scrape up some type of prizes for the day, it may not be on the same scale as last year since we are already buying the prizes for the BIG tourney. I'm still talking with some tackle companies so you never know what we will come up with...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.