The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Well, who got Venison for the Ice?  (Read 4701 times)

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Well, who got Venison for the Ice?
« on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Who has gotten their winter supply of Venison? Heres one of the two I have gotten.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Well, who got Venison for the Ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2011, 09:22 AM »
4pt and a Doe, there will be Jerky on the ice this year. Solid deer there  :thumbsup:

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Nice deer i haven't been able to hunt this year but a buddy of mine has been hooking me up with some venison :thumbsup:
FISH ON

Offline crosscobra

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Give em the beans
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:06 AM »
I am tagged out of bucks and 2 does down. Lots of jerky for me and my boys this ice season! 2 more does to go to fill my quota!
"Huddle round the shanty momma, Put a good buzz on!"

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Got a 9pt last year and a 7 this year. One a year is enough for our family.

Offline crosscobra

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Give em the beans
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2011, 06:35 PM »
Congrats tree!!!
"Huddle round the shanty momma, Put a good buzz on!"

Offline yog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2011, 07:27 PM »
elk and bear, so far.
still working on the venison, seeing a few small bucks, so looking like a doe may have to bite the dust, have to have jerky. :tipup:

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2011, 07:34 PM »
Great buck, looks like good eating.

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:26 PM »
Just done turning the 5th into summer sausage. There is nothing better than venison on the ice.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Popped a broken racked 5pt Saturday AM. Small rack but weighed 127lbs hanging. It's a start, still have 6 tags to fill.

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:15 AM »
Doe and a 3pt.,still have 2 doe tags left..

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:22 AM »
I added a decent size Button to the meat pole yesterday.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:23 AM »
I got mine

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:30 AM »
Yup.  Mine is in the freezer. 

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:55 AM »
Doe and a 3pt.,still have 2 doe tags left..

(Image removed from quote.)
Good Job Skull, am about to run into town to pick up casings for sausage that I ordered, Will stuff up a bunch of polish and Italian sausage, mmmmmm.  Summer sausage will come later.

Offline IceCowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Saturday 11-5
2 does, had to throw a stick at the other 3...had more tags and more arrows but was too lazy to drag more that 2 at a time ;D
Sunday he came though looking for love.

If the temps dropped and turned water to ice 10 min after I had him loaded in the truck I'd be ready ;)
Have Auger, Will Travel

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Saturday 11-5
2 does, had to throw a stick at the other 3...had more tags and more arrows but was too lazy to drag more that 2 at a time ;D
Sunday he came though looking for love.(Image removed from quote.)

If the temps dropped and turned water to ice 10 min after I had him loaded in the truck I'd be ready ;)

Happens when you think with the wrong head...nice buck!
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2011, 11:23 AM »

Big ol doe
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Good Job Skull, am about to run into town to pick up casings for sausage that I ordered, Will stuff up a bunch of polish and Italian sausage, mmmmmm.  Summer sausage will come later.

Good deal man.The next one I get,I think I'll keep a hind quarter for smoking and the rest wll be ground for tastey snacks...

Those are some fine deer taken there guys....congrats to you all..

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:34 PM »
Bring on the ice. Tagged out last night. Had a great year in the woods in pursuit of deer. Took a real nice 8 with the bow. My biggest Michigan kill to date. Then last night after seven days of gun hunting a 7 point showed him self.  Now if we could get a cold snap and lock things up.

Offline fatalfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fish on
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Bring on the ice. Tagged out last night. Had a great year in the woods in pursuit of deer. Took a real nice 8 with the bow. My biggest Michigan kill to date. Then last night after seven days of gun hunting a 7 point showed him self.  Now if we could get a cold snap and lock things up.

Must be nice have a golden horseshoe over there pimp.  Hopefully your luck continues on the ice this year :)

Offline smontague

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up, ass down
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:32 AM »
So jealous of you guys...

Here in Quebec, you're allowed to shoot one deer per hunter per year, and unless you win a rigged " random draw " you must shoot a buck.

Here's how our deer season breaks down.

End of September- Sept 24-October 9- Bow, Crossbow season
October 22-October 26- Muzzleloader
October 29-November 13- Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloader.

After our 2 week gun season, thats it. No more deer hunting.

Only provincial game preserves and big outfitters get extended, special seasons here, because that's where our provincial government gets their money from!

Quebec's entire game and fish system needs a facelift. Big time.

Anyways, nice looking deer guys, my dad got a spike, and his best friend ( who doesn't really eat deer meat ) shot a 4 point. So, I'll have more than ice chips to eat on the water, if we ever get ice this year.

:tipup:

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Venison for ice snacks....check...
Now just need some ice..lol

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 23, 2011, 02:45 PM »
i think the canadian laws are in order..thats why we travel there to hunt trophy whitetail..wish michigan would alter its bag limits and restrictions for deer..

Offline smontague

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up, ass down
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Canadian game laws for the most part, are in order in other provinces.

Quebec though, doesnt care much for treating its everyday normal hunters with the same opportunities as guys that drop big money on hunts at outfitters or provincial game reserves.

A resident deer tag was 50.25 this year, non resident tag was 268.93.

A large number of the provincial parks in Qc, which require an additional access fee, are open to deer hunters the week before the general season, and the week after it closes.

How is that fair for me?

Same thing with moose hunting. All the outfitters and big game reserves get special priveleges, ( 1-3k for a moose hunt- lots of tax money to be made ), while regular guys who can't afford to drop big money on a deer hunt or moose hunt are getting screwed over.

Quebec's " buck law " as my father calls it, has been around since the early 70's, with very little or no changes made to it. What consequence does that have? Last year, a specific check in station not too far from where I live, reported that 70% of the bucks registered there that year, were spike horns. Guys here will shoot anything thats legal. With that in mind, its no wonder that the buck to doe ratio in most parts of quebec is way, way out of whack.

A change is needed.

FYI, Google the " trophy trap " article from Outdoor Life. Everyone has different opinions on what exactly a " trophy " really is.

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2011, 03:51 PM »
 Smontague, Michigan has horrible deer management.  It has never been the best, but in recent years it has gotten worse.  We have an early doe season that allows hunters in the woods with guns that turns the few mature bucks nocturnal before the bowhunters have a chance at them. We do not need the early doe season. It was set in place by the dnr saying the deer numbers needed to be smaller. Only 2 reasons they did this was special interest in politics from car insurance companies and to make more money in license sales.   The numbers of deer did not need to be decreased.
  If that isn't bad enough, after the early doe season comes the youth hunt. Allows youths to be in the woods with guns before bow season. A large number of bucks taken in this season still are in velvet.  Most Michigan hunters loved this idea. They said it was a great way to get the youth involved in hunting, but for many generations there was no problem with sitting with your Dad or Grandpa in the woods while they hunted.  The hunters liked it because it was another hunting right, the state liked it because it was more money in license sales.
  So then comes October 1st, the bow opener and now also crossbow opener.  Most mature bucks are nocturnal if not already dead and will not be seen until the rut and the few really nice bucs taken are from way out in the boondocks.   Near the end of bow season, the rut starts, but the prime rut is during gun season. Not many mature bucks in the state of Michigan and not many mating, so we have tons of small racked young bucks.  These bucks get shot in very high numbers.   
 If Michigan looked at the seasons of deer hunting or atleast went to one buck a year, we could have the number of trophy bucks Canada Wisconsin and others have.  Instead, our State looks at the outdoors as a cash crop.
   Before anyone bashes me on this, please lookup the number of trophy bucks taken in the states. Look at the states that lead. Then see that most are one buck a year, earn a buck etc.

Offline Tree Toad

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Smontague, Michigan has horrible deer management.  It has never been the best, but in recent years it has gotten worse.  We have an early doe season that allows hunters in the woods with guns that turns the few mature bucks nocturnal before the bowhunters have a chance at them. We do not need the early doe season. It was set in place by the dnr saying the deer numbers needed to be smaller. Only 2 reasons they did this was special interest in politics from car insurance companies and to make more money in license sales.   The numbers of deer did not need to be decreased.
  If that isn't bad enough, after the early doe season comes the youth hunt. Allows youths to be in the woods with guns before bow season. A large number of bucks taken in this season still are in velvet.  Most Michigan hunters loved this idea. They said it was a great way to get the youth involved in hunting, but for many generations there was no problem with sitting with your Dad or Grandpa in the woods while they hunted.  The hunters liked it because it was another hunting right, the state liked it because it was more money in license sales.
  So then comes October 1st, the bow opener and now also crossbow opener.  Most mature bucks are nocturnal if not already dead and will not be seen until the rut and the few really nice bucs taken are from way out in the boondocks.   Near the end of bow season, the rut starts, but the prime rut is during gun season. Not many mature bucks in the state of Michigan and not many mating, so we have tons of small racked young bucks.  These bucks get shot in very high numbers.   
 If Michigan looked at the seasons of deer hunting or atleast went to one buck a year, we could have the number of trophy bucks Canada Wisconsin and others have.  Instead, our State looks at the outdoors as a cash crop.
   Before anyone bashes me on this, please lookup the number of trophy bucks taken in the states. Look at the states that lead. Then see that most are one buck a year, earn a buck etc.
I wholeheartedly agree!! So there is one on your side. Add to the above its nolonger a question of "did you get a deer?" its now how many did you get. It has become kill a bunch and then find someone who wants the meat. I took a nice 7 point this year and left camp with an unfilled tag. We dont need more than one and I will not be a bigger person if I kill a bunch more. Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline smontague

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up, ass down
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:50 PM »
You do raise some valid points.

However, when you look at Ontario, which borders Quebec, several different management strategies are in place, and they work. Ontario produces some whopper whitetails year after year.

All that I'm saying is that by limiting our hunting seasons, and having pretty much a buck only tag ( unless you win one of the coveted antlerless tags, which, still only allows you to shoot one deer ), most bucks don't make it past their first hard antlered autumn. And, after 35 years of a law that clearly has not benefitted our deer herd as a whole, it's time for a change. I would LOVE to see an earn a buck program here.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Try hunting in new york where 75% of the hunters have "if its brown its down attitude" and armed with 2buck tags and 3 doe permits!...SUCKS!

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2011, 07:35 PM »
I was fortunate to tag out during bow season this year with a nice doe and a 6pt. Just waiting for the ice now :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.