Author Topic: Blackstrap  (Read 35257 times)

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Blackstrap
« Reply #180 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:53 PM »
Its not like he is asking anyone to come drill his holes and rig up his gear!!He is just asking for a little advice I feel there is no harm in sharing info, we are all there for the same reason to catch fish why not help a someone out. Good luck out there everyone :icefish:

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #181 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:59 PM »
Agreed a little help is fine but where how much water and what hook is a little much just doesn't seem like fishing to me.

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:12 PM »
So what is the point of this site then?? I was under the understanding that it was a forum where people could share stories and ask questions possibly share a few pics.. I know I have asked a lot of questions not necessarily on this site but at the local store or other fishermen and usually do get the info I'm searching for so how is this site any different than doing that? Instead of asking a sales rep at the store you are just asking a whole bunch of other fisherman for there advice.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #183 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:33 PM »
I don't have a permanent shack on the strap for two reasons... Vandalism and the fish move around and change their patterns all winter. Your best option is to be versatile and mobile and move until you find them. And if you ever do find that honey hole that you can fish all season, don't tell anyone!  ;D I still haven't found one

Offline Martensville Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caug
« Reply #184 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:16 PM »
"bigk" if you want to keep your tips/helpfulness to yourself please keep your 2 cents as well.  :nono:  I am glad not everyone thinks the way you do. We talk to allot people out on the ice and everyone we have met is sociable, we are all out to enjoy a day off and try to catch a few. If a fellow fishermen wants to share their ideas that is perfectly fine as that is what the site is about!  :icefish:

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Blackstrap seems like it can be a particularly difficult lake sometimes.  The fish can be really picky.  If you had asked me last year, it was a totally different lure that was working.  It's not always about a particular lure either; it could be the action, the sound, the smell, the colour etc.  The other thing I think is funny is asking "what depth".  The depth seems pretty consistent throughout Blackstrap except near shore or by Shields.  Fish will be in one spot today and another spot tomorrow.  I basically walk out, say a prayer, and drill a hole... haha!  ;)

Offline fishingfever32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:22 AM »
Was out today, got about a dozen small perch, day was cut short when my buddy went to get a flag and slipped on the way and broke his ankle in 2 places.

so thats what that screaming was from. i thought maybe u guys lost a big one. hope hes ok. i caught few jack after u left.  ya i fell too an landed on my funny bone. i swear i chipped part of the bone for its pretty swollen n hurts like a bugger....
Yes woman can fish... prepared to be impressed. here fishy fishy fishy!!!

Offline fishingfever32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #187 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:26 AM »
3 of us out (+  :tipup:  for pike) and skunked for the 4th time this year. Almost considering pulling the shack and heading somewere else. Last year was out the same general area far northern part of the lake. Not sure why so slow... 6 times last winter and caught just one 5lb pike among the whole group of us.  :%$#!: We had the cam on all day and seen allot of very small perch, 4-5 whitefish, 2 pickerel and one pike. Tried mostly small pickerel jigs tipped minnow pieces, med jig a whopper tipped minnow tail, smaller jigging spoons, small red artificial insect bait, none of these seemed to interest them. Perch would swim up and quite curious, few nibbles but as we could view the hook could on the cam could see they were maybe 3-4 inch long and likely could not open their mouth wide enough for the small piece of bait.

We are fairly limited to move our shack around as built it there and often take the car. Any ideas as far as depth that may be better, ideas on north spots, best time of day, presentation I would love to try something different as need some veterans to share some knowledge.   :icefish:

If anyone is a regular from Martensville who fishes that same area, message me as we go down usually once per weekend if possible and nice to get to know a few more fellow fishermen.

ya im from warman an have my shack in north area. been skunked afew times buts still am able to bring some home here n there.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #188 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Martensville monster think you misunderstand me. I am all about helping just saying maybe it could be done in a pm to a newbie or invite him along with you. It's great to get new people out no doubt just think with the preassure on a lake like blackstrap we don't need to post hot spots which most people don't. Regardless of you wanting me to keep my opinion to myself getting skunked moving around trying different hooks makes you a better fisherman and is part of the hunt. Is it possible that some people's advice may be limiting people wanting advice to stay in one spot with one hook and not move if they aren't catching anything?

Offline waraman king fisger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #189 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:52 PM »
big k i think alot of people understood what you said. idont think there is anything wrong with shareing a little info. we are all out there for the same thing.to catch a few fish and have a good time with friends and family. its not like the guy asked you to drill his holes for him i think maybe if you think you were misunderstood you should think before you type. just my opinion

Offline fishingfever32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:09 PM »
ANYWASE.... Was out at the strap today, for acouple of hours. Windy, but it was worth it. Don't know if i'm in a good spot but for the last couple of days it has picked up for me. I posted pics up, hope it came threw and posted. If not ill try add them again

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Ventured off the beaten track at Blackstrap for the first time this year. Landed a chunky 36" pike (15 lbs), and a couple of 5 lbers. It was the first time this year I was able to say flag up, so I was pretty pumped about that. Also landed a few 10" perch. Had to leave right when the perch started going crazy on the vexlar. They were hitting hard at the end. Too bad I had to go. Ice seemed good everywhere (22"). I drove quite a ways on the ice with my smaller SUV. Snow drifts were not too bad. Was a nice day to be out.

Offline tikkaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #192 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Husser

Were you driving on the north end?

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #193 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Yes, I was. I accessed the lake on the North End. Headed somewhat South East from there.

Offline tikkaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #194 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Thanks, planning on taking the old man out and was not sure if people were driving south yet.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #195 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:55 AM »
Ya, there are a good # of huts at Shields and on the opposite side from Shields. I assume most of them are driving from the North End.

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #196 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Question.  I usually drive to Blackstrap in my car and walk out on the north side.  I know of two places to drive on.  One at the north west end and one at the pump house.  But there are huge ruts and I don't want to damage my car.  Are there any smooth places to drive a car on?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #197 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:21 AM »
The boat launch on the south end is usually pretty good.

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #198 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:11 PM »
I drove a small sedan on at north end earlier this year, but bottomed out a bit coming off. Boat launches were no problem. Might be drifted a bit now, but just exit with a head of steam and you won't get stuck.

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #199 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:19 PM »
Great day for fishing. Lots of hits, but only a few perch. Just don't matter.

Offline Bobber Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:56 PM »
Hey fishingfever32 is it 3 different pike or the same one in the pics? Looks like it had a little belly on the 2nd pic nice work. Are the fish ok to eat out of the strap? Husser caught a 15lber is that rare or is there bigger pike than that in the strap?

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #201 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:29 PM »
15 lbs is a good size but there are defiantly bigger ones in there

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Anybody been out to Evans rd the last couple days thinking about taking my kids out for some perch action just wondering if they are biting? :icefish:

Offline smallfishmk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Was out on the strap today and caught 3 pike around 3-4 lbs each. And had the tip ups hit many more times. Seems to be picking up a bit.

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Out yesterday with a buddy............ Five hours, 15 holes, 4 perch. Beautiful day on the ice though. Lots of perch down there, just not interested in biting much.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline fishingfever32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Hey fishingfever32 is it 3 different pike or the same one in the pics? Looks like it had a little belly on the 2nd pic nice work. Are the fish ok to eat out of the strap? Husser caught a 15lber is that rare or is there bigger pike than that in the strap?

ya three different fish. oh trust me, theres alot more bigger fish then 15lbs in that lake. i eat the fish all the time from there. never been sick n it tastes just fine. however i dont keep anything over 7lbs, an thats in any lake. 3lbers are perfect for me. im heading out today, moving the shack to the lucky spot since the ice is good an thick to get to it.

Offline Bobber Down

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #206 on: Jan 27, 2012, 05:03 PM »
Haven't fished the strap in years it was good though. it was in the summer a couple of times lots of pike and perch never ice fished it yet. good luck at your spot and keep postin the pics always good to see.

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #207 on: Jan 28, 2012, 01:17 PM »
Good morning on the lake for perch today about 35 perch in 3 hours between me and my son only two of them smaller than 10 inches

Offline Martensville Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caug
« Reply #208 on: Jan 28, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Been out since 11 and a few jack on the cam. Perch scattered and the jack keep hanging around teasing us. On the very north end  perch are tiny. What's working for you folks catching perch, nice to hear there are a few being brough up.

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #209 on: Jan 28, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Not being on the north end and off the beaten trail it was really hot between 9 and 11:30 but slowed down after that even straight J hooks tipped with a head or tail wasn't even hitting bottom for a while there  :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.