Author Topic: Blackstrap  (Read 35256 times)

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap
« Reply #150 on: Jan 13, 2012, 12:36 PM »
That is a seriously beautiful big pike, gives me goosebumps knowing she swam in that water while my kids swam at the beach

And if all went well, she should still be swimming looking for some small children!

Offline quinn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:12 PM »
that is a nice pike! good work!
"There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce serenity of mind" Washington Irving

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #152 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Nice big pike and dandy whitefish also, way to go guys. :)

I wish the Gov. hatchery would stock a few more lakes with burbot or at least stock the lakes that naturally have, or had, burbot populations to maintian or bring back their levels, but I feel there is not enough interest in them for the hatchery programs to do so.
Most folks think they are a garbage fish, to bad. :-\

WW

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Jan 13, 2012, 05:46 PM »
« Reply #143 on: Today at 09:09 AM »QuoteAs long as those 2000 people continue chasing the 6" perch and 14" walleyes and stay in their shanty towns and hate the lake that's fine with me!! I'll continue to chase the 13" and 14" perch and 24" walleyes - and release them all.

x2 been doing great at the strap this year first year where i ventured off from the crowd and its been the best year iv had at bstrap.

Offline Drewloveshunting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:14 PM »
You guys are totally right. And thanks for sharing the pictures. This dead lake is only dead to those who can't catch em. I struggle and struggle to find walleye in this lake and when I do they don't bite. But... I know that they are here and one of these days I will find "my spot" on the lake and keep it private too. Been out 5 times this year and still yet to get skunked. I avoid the North End at all cost as I have sat there in the past surrounded by 40 tip-ups that never go off. Why do people fish there anyway? I have sat Evans road twice this year, there are some really nice perch and the odd walleye in the area that I have seen on camera, but for me way too much competition. I'll be in the blue clamshell fish trap could be doing some moving. If you see me, come say hi, maybe I'll have found my spot by then

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #155 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:19 AM »
You guys are completely right, I have caught a 39 inch 20 pound pike, 25 inch walleye, 8lb whitefish and perch to 13 inches, all ice fishing the strap. I have also introduced 3 rookies to ice fishing at blackstrap this winter alone, and they all caught fish and are hooked now. This winter has been excellent for perch and whitefish, have yet to go a day and catch less than 6 perch. I also agree with the cr2 limits, it would be great for the lake. ill be back out today, good luck out there guys!  :tipup:

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #156 on: Jan 14, 2012, 11:30 AM »
 was stuck in stoon last week but managed to get out to the strap on sunday night for the full moon, beauty night.  started off slow, lots of small perch on the humminbird but around 4:30 they went off pretty good for a while.  ended the night sliding across the ice to a popped flag with a nice 30" pike on the end...that's the blackstrap i remember.

pretty crazy driving the truck out there with the lack of snow on the ice.

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Jan 14, 2012, 02:55 PM »
On the ice right now. East side of north end. One pike at 11am, nothing since. Beautiful day.

Offline golf560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:58 PM »
today is my 5th trip on Evans road, so far so good, always got 4-5 nice size (10+ ") perch. it is getting very crowded there now.  :)

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #159 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:22 PM »
lucky you, most i talked to at evans got the skunk, including myself. nothing but 3 inch perch on cam. 0/2 at blackstrap this year, 3/3 elsewhere.

"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Pretty good day today, I managed to land 3 pike at 20" 23" and 24" as well as 2 small perch, my buddy landed 1 pike but it was the big one of the day at 27". Lots of small bites inside the shack and lots of action on the camera and several missed flags on the tip ups. It was nice to finally have a day that was sunny with almost no wind

Offline MYATUK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Has anyone landed a burbot yet?

Offline Pozlaris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #162 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Hey all, just wondering what the ice thickness is sittin' at now. Will be heading out mid week for the first time this season and would just like to know what to expect. Are guys drivin everywhere? or stayin away from any certain spots? Thx for any info

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:43 PM »
I know on the north end the ice is a solid 18" and guys are driving all over out there, but other areas of the lake Im not sure

Offline Drewloveshunting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:59 PM »
I was out on Saturday, Cruised ( well slowly drove ) from Shields straight across the middle. Ice seemed very nice to drive on actually. Can't say anything from the south end, although I'm sure with the weather that we will be having this week, there shouldn't be any more concern about driving. BUT that is MY opinion, use your best judgement.

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:18 AM »
Sunday morning was 21 inches at the road on the south end

Offline Pozlaris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:13 PM »
Thanks guys! Much appreciated

Offline pawlukja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Fished the south end a couple of weeks ago and in the four spots we tried there was a solid 18" (measured with a tape) of ice.

Offline justdontgetskunked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Hello all you fellow fishermen...and fisherwomen. I have been following this forum for a couple years now and I decided it was time to join in. Has anyone been out on the north end of Blackstrap since the snow last weekend? Is it still pretty easy getting on the ice and driving around out there with a 4 x 4?

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #169 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:17 PM »
i have a pretty good idea where to find the whitefish on this lake but would appreciate any tips, it was the first fish i went after 24 years ago and still love catching and eating them. I only keep what i'll eat that day. PM's would suffice for those of you i know would like to protect our fisheries as i always practice CR.

thanks, Ryan.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:13 PM »
Good day today, 20 perch (all small but still fun to catch) and 1 pike, lots of bites inside the shack, and a couple missed flags on the tip ups. Gonna head back out again tomorrow

Offline MYATUK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:16 PM »
i have a pretty good idea where to find the whitefish on this lake but would appreciate any tips, it was the first fish i went after 24 years ago and still love catching and eating them. I only keep what i'll eat that day. PM's would suffice for those of you i know would like to protect our fisheries as i always practice CR.

thanks, Ryan.
Come to Dief. for whites they are easy to find.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:33 PM »
Was out today, got about a dozen small perch, day was cut short when my buddy went to get a flag and slipped on the way and broke his ankle in 2 places.

Offline Martensville Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caug
« Reply #173 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:30 PM »
3 of us out (+  :tipup:  for pike) and skunked for the 4th time this year. Almost considering pulling the shack and heading somewere else. Last year was out the same general area far northern part of the lake. Not sure why so slow... 6 times last winter and caught just one 5lb pike among the whole group of us.  :%$#!: We had the cam on all day and seen allot of very small perch, 4-5 whitefish, 2 pickerel and one pike. Tried mostly small pickerel jigs tipped minnow pieces, med jig a whopper tipped minnow tail, smaller jigging spoons, small red artificial insect bait, none of these seemed to interest them. Perch would swim up and quite curious, few nibbles but as we could view the hook could on the cam could see they were maybe 3-4 inch long and likely could not open their mouth wide enough for the small piece of bait.

We are fairly limited to move our shack around as built it there and often take the car. Any ideas as far as depth that may be better, ideas on north spots, best time of day, presentation I would love to try something different as need some veterans to share some knowledge.   :icefish:

If anyone is a regular from Martensville who fishes that same area, message me as we go down usually once per weekend if possible and nice to get to know a few more fellow fishermen.

Offline saswhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:11 PM »
3 of us out (+  :tipup:  for pike) and skunked for the 4th time this year. Almost considering pulling the shack and heading somewere else. Last year was out the same general area far northern part of the lake. Not sure why so slow... 6 times last winter and caught just one 5lb pike among the whole group of us.  :%$#!: We had the cam on all day and seen allot of very small perch, 4-5 whitefish, 2 pickerel and one pike. Tried mostly small pickerel jigs tipped minnow pieces, med jig a whopper tipped minnow tail, smaller jigging spoons, small red artificial insect bait, none of these seemed to interest them. Perch would swim up and quite curious, few nibbles but as we could view the hook could on the cam could see they were maybe 3-4 inch long and likely could not open their mouth wide enough for the small piece of bait.

We are fairly limited to move our shack around as built it there and often take the car. Any ideas as far as depth that may be better, ideas on north spots, best time of day, presentation I would love to try something different as need some veterans to share some knowledge.   :icefish:

If anyone is a regular from Martensville who fishes that same area, message me as we go down usually once per weekend if possible and nice to get to know a few more fellow fishermen.

Hey Martensville Monster I have fished this lake a lot hard and soft water and I have found that lil saskatoon aka the north end has always been dead in the winter I'm not saying that you won't catch fish there I am just saying from personal expierences, I haven't had any luck there in the winter I like to fish closer to shields when going for perch I find the perch there are a lot bigger, as for walleye I would like to know a good spot for ice as well lol.  I have heard there is a good hole across the lake from shields but I still haven't found it I find that the morning bite is usually good till about 12:30 ish then the perch die off till about 2:30 and pick back up till 4:30 ish when fishing for perch I usually just use either a small white jims jig tipped with a tail or a basic drop shot rig with a tail or head on a J hook it seems to work about the best or as good as anything I have seen people use for perch and typically between 18 to 22 feet deep. As far as Jack go we have had most of our success in like 8 to 9 feet in the bays just on  :tipup: with a smelt. Hope this helps a little and good luck out there !!!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline BigO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #175 on: Jan 22, 2012, 10:21 PM »
Was out at Evans for the afternoon today. 3 Perch. 2 the tiniest I have ever seen. SLOW!!!!

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Martensville Monster: I hear guys catch decent perch outta some pond in Martensville. Ever heard of this?

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:57 AM »
I've been to Blackstrap maybe 6 times this winter.  Usually go for 4-5 hours and catch at least 1 fish, but more often 4-5 (pike and/or perch).  So far every fish has come from a yellow swedish pimple tipped with a minnow head.  Mostly been fishing in 20 ftw.

Offline Martensville Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caug
« Reply #178 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Hey Husser, we tried the Martensville perch pond a few times this winter and they were biting pretty good, others were having better luck on worms. Most were smaller but kept the kids entertained. Even if they get tired of fishing they can toboggan on the big hill right beside it. It is catch and release only and only barbless hooks are allowed, Come try it out!

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #179 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:38 PM »
Is figuring out what where and when the fish are biting not something people should be figuring out on their own? I think you should have to put the time in not just type a message and get info....... Just my 2 cents

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.