Author Topic: Blackstrap  (Read 35264 times)

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap
« Reply #120 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Hey All,
I am in Saskatoon for school and am looking at hitting the strap for some weekend fun.  I was just wondering what the ice is like right now.  All of this warm weather makes me nervous.  I grew up fishing Last Mountain Lake so I am very cautious.  Are there any areas to AVOID at all costs.  Also, are people driving on? Can I walk to any areas that might produce some fish?  Thanks for the help!

Ice was about 16 inches around Christmas.  There have been people driving on at Evan's road and the north end.  Tough to say what the conditions will be like this weekend though.  I imagine a slushy first layer of ice.  There are quite a few places that you can park and walk on from.  Avoid being too close to the causeway (illegal anyways). 

Offline canada_man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:48 PM »
Thanks for the help!  I'll probably walk on until I get a feel for the lake.  Hope to get out this weekend if there is any ice left.  lol

Offline whitecat26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:37 PM »
Anyone give some info about the very south end of the lake, bottom of the hill off the highway?? If I remember right its nice and rocky , its just funny that I have never seen anyone icefish at that end..Any insight from anyone?
Thanks

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Anyone give some info about the very south end of the lake, bottom of the hill off the highway?? If I remember right its nice and rocky , its just funny that I have never seen anyone icefish at that end..Any insight from anyone?
Thanks

You rarely see anyone down there ice fishing, yet it's always lined with anglers in the summer.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:02 PM »
Thanks
Tried ice fishing it a few times about 3 years ago with no luck, used to fish it often during the open water season with some luck on the walleyes, however this year was extremely slow, had much better luck every where else on the lake

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #125 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:45 PM »
Thanks

Yeah...don't do it!!

There tends to be a lot of sand blowing off the road down there on to the lake...you will wreck your blades in a real hurry...I learned the hard way.  I haven't fished a lot in that area in the winter, but have had much better success in other parts of the lake.  Save yourself the time and the money...go somewhere else!

shawno

Offline canada_man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Jan 07, 2012, 10:15 PM »
Was out all day today and caught about 11 perch.  Not sure if thats a good day for that lake or not but it was slow for me.  We still had a blast.  It was my first time fishing the lake and it was nice to get out and get used to it.

Offline whitecat26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:28 PM »
Thanks Shawno , That makes perfect sense....

Offline Martensville Monster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caug
« Reply #128 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Windy and no fish biting. DNR were passing out with warnings for barbless & liscences not in hand. I was ok this time  but seen a few others near by cutting their lines... :callcops: :thumbsup:

Offline AngusMacHuge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:09 PM »
I seldom fish at the north end, like my space, but thought I'd give it a try for a change after some slow outings elsewhere. Only managed a few dinky perch in from 10am-1pm. I'd have moved if I didn't spend a half hour putting every screw I had in the ice to hold the tent down in that wind. Also going to have to invest in some cleats, ended up on my butt once with a couple more close calls.

Still waiting for a good day of fishing on the Strap this year...

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Went out today from 130-430, there were 4 of us and not a single bite between 8 lines. Saw the DNR riding around on a sled, watched him dump some guys beers and write some tickets at the shack next to mine, but he never stopped at mine.  Was pretty annoyed to find that someone had turned my shack to use it as a wind break pushing it off the blocks that I keep it set on to prevent it from freezing in.  Who ever moved it then cut several holes about 2 feet from my shack letting my skids freeze down, spent over an hour today with a axe and a pry bar getting the skids free from the ice.

Offline fishingfever32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Went out today from 130-430, there were 4 of us and not a single bite between 8 lines. Saw the DNR riding around on a sled, watched him dump some guys beers and write some tickets at the shack next to mine, but he never stopped at mine.  Was pretty annoyed to find that someone had turned my shack to use it as a wind break pushing it off the blocks that I keep it set on to prevent it from freezing in.  Who ever moved it then cut several holes about 2 feet from my shack letting my skids freeze down, spent over an hour today with a axe and a pry bar getting the skids free from the ice.
Is your shack on the very north end with antlers on it
Yes woman can fish... prepared to be impressed. here fishy fishy fishy!!!

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 09, 2012, 07:29 AM »
Is your shack on the very north end with antlers on it
It is on the very north end, but it does not have antlers on it, its a big red 8x12 im a bit farther to the east than most of the shacks are. Come say hi sometime, it would be nice to start putting some faces to the names

Offline fishingfever32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Jan 09, 2012, 01:29 PM »
ya foresure ill come say hi. im in the blue shack couple hundred feet from the pipe. when u going out next
Yes woman can fish... prepared to be impressed. here fishy fishy fishy!!!

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Jan 09, 2012, 04:46 PM »
I probably wont make it out again until sat, my buddy that I share it with might be out one of the days during the week. How bout yourself?  Do you ever catch walleye at the north end? We have been having ok luck with the pike but cant seem to find any eyes

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Jan 10, 2012, 12:13 PM »
I was reading in the synopsis that the provincial record goldeye came out of blackstrap, I have never caught one out of there, and I have never heard of anyone else catching them, anyone know if there are still some in there?

Offline pawlukja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:03 PM »
Was out on the strap on Sunday and between me and the father inlaw we caught about 20-25 perch in about six hours. Seven were 11-13 inch range, four were not bad, and the rest were tiny tiny. We spent a total of 12 hours the first two times out and only caught one so sunday wasn't that bad. Tried a new area south of Evans road. Anyone driving from the north end to shields yet? There is a good spot on the way there but not too sure if I should drive to it yet.

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:19 PM »
There were quite a few trucks out on saturday night south of sheilds so i think if you go slow, and stick close to shore you should be alright. I drove down the east side of the lake - kinda sketchy cuz there was pockets of ice covered water all the way. Only a few inchs deep and the ice is still over 12" but makes a guy almost sweat a little when he starts breaking through the pockets!

Offline pooder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Hey pawlukja , my shack was out at sheilds and pretty slow. Lots on the camera just not biting, so I pulled it to the north end and everything was fine. Everywhere ive bin on the lake is about 14 - 16 inches. :tipup: @)

Offline pawlukja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:14 PM »
Thanks for info ochocenko and pooder. The spot that I found last year is between the north end and sheilds where I have never seen anyone fish before. Stopped for a pee and decided to drill some holes and got lucky. My 10 year old caught 8 13" perch in like 5 mins and I caught 5 in that range with both of us getting a bunch of 10 inchers. Hopefully it will be the same this year.

Offline Malayney11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:42 PM »
Anyone have a report on the strap for the last few days?

Offline tikkaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Bunkstrap is slow as per usual.

Offline icecube4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:28 PM »
There are no fish in that lake, 2000 people chasin 6" perch, no thank you. Let's give that lake a 4yr break like it needs.been goin there yr after yr and still see 3-6"perch on cam that's it

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:09 AM »
As long as those 2000 people continue chasing the 6" perch and 14" walleyes and stay in their shanty towns and hate the lake that's fine with me!! I'll continue to chase the 13" and 14" perch and 24" walleyes - and release them all.

Offline fishinwilly4g63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:26 AM »
there's a few 30+ inchers in there too, but you gotta work for em

C+R'd this girl for the future of the strap
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:44 AM »
there's a few 30+ inchers in there too, but you gotta work for em

C+R'd this girl for the future of the strap

Ahh someone else who knows the lake's potential... good on ya for the c&r

Offline fishinwilly4g63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:06 AM »
Jpick's big pike proved it really, plus I've caught and seen some massive perch in that lake, whitefish up to 8 lbs, now if only we could convince the government to do some burbot stocking and make it a cr2 with a 6 perch limit lake it would be an excellent year round fishery.

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:16 AM »
I've been fishing Blackstrap for a few years now.  There are good fish in there, just hard to find them.  I don't have any electronics so for me it involves a lot of moving around and luck.  I have a funny video of loosing a good size pike in the summer.  Turn down the volume, woman screaming;

Offline ochocenko

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:21 AM »
Jpick's big pike proved it really, plus I've caught and seen some massive perch in that lake, whitefish up to 8 lbs, now if only we could convince the government to do some burbot stocking and make it a cr2 with a 6 perch limit lake it would be an excellent year round fishery.

jpicks big pike? you mean this one?

and how bout this 7lb + white

I STRONGLY agree with the cr2!

Offline fishinwilly4g63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Jan 13, 2012, 12:13 PM »
That is a seriously beautiful big pike, gives me goosebumps knowing she swam in that water while my kids swam at the beach

Got a pic of a 6 lb whitey from el strappo too

Tell John I got a new phone and lost his number, we should all get out together one of these days

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.