Author Topic: Where do you put your transducer?  (Read 7788 times)

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
Where do you put your transducer?
« on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:34 AM »
I'm assuming most guys put it in the hole they are fishing, but do you put it just in the water? Halfway down the ice? Even with the bottom of the ice? Or below the ice? I usually set mine up even with the bottom of the ice.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where do you put your transducer?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:39 AM »
I keep mine even with the bottom of ice too.
I'll drop it in my first hole & fish it, but if they're hitting I drill a separate 'ducer hole right next to my jiggin hole.
Helps avoid fish tangling with the 'ducer cord in the hole.
Once I'm set up on fish I have 3 holes. left hole = dead stick, center = 'ducer, right = jiggin.
That's just how I roll. ;D
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:47 AM »
Top of the ducer slightly below the bottom edge of the ice. This way I can rest the cord all the way against the side of the hole. I don't use the float, just the screw eye on my Genx pack. Doiing this gives me as much room in the hole as possible and reduces line tangles. Really helps on the smaller 4", 5" and 6" holes I fish the vast majority of the time.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2011, 09:52 AM »
If I'm fishing a smaller lake I put the transducer at the bottom of the ice... 95% of the time I am fishing a river with current and like to drill a hole about 2 feet downstream of the hole I am fishing and put the ducer at the bottom of that ice... I like this setup the best because I don't have to worry about my line getting tangled on the ducer cord and it' s more convenient to look out instead of looking straight down by the hole at the vex...

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2011, 10:46 AM »
Top of the ducer slightly below the bottom edge of the ice. This way I can rest the cord all the way against the side of the hole. I don't use the float, just the screw eye on my Genx pack. Doiing this gives me as much room in the hole as possible and reduces line tangles. Really helps on the smaller 4", 5" and 6" holes I fish the vast majority of the time.
We have a winner :thumbsup:

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2011, 11:02 AM »
I always make sure the transducer is below the ice level, not by much, but enough.

I mix it up, when panfishing i usually keep the transducer in the same hole, but when splake or walleye fishing I usually drill a second hole.

Offline streak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 11:56 AM »
I'll drop it down close to the bottom of the ice. If I'm catching anything it goes into its own hole, just to avoid the tangles.

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:24 PM »
[/quote/]

what style transducer do you have? I have the style that goes on the bottom of a boat and use a float for it, but like the sounds of what you are working with

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2011, 02:20 PM »
even with the bottom of the hole unless I'm fishing bluegill.. those gills will run around in circles and catch your ducer every time. If I'm fishing for gills I will put it about 1" up into the hole and turn the sensitivity up a bit.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2011, 02:30 PM »
a couple inches in the water. I get some clutter at the top of the dail but its alot easier for me. I used to run with it even with the bottom of the ice.

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2011, 02:44 PM »
i fish in a big lake that sometimes has current so i will drill a extra hole a little down stream to find my jig. when i fish with two rods i drill 3 holes and i put my transducer and camera in the extra hole. i try to get it center so i can see both jigs. they tell me it doesn't have to be down at ice edge so that is where i put it. deep in the hole.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2011, 07:48 PM »
What style transducer do you have? I have the style that goes on the bottom of a boat and use a float for it, but like the sounds of what you are working with.

I use the Vexilar Ice Ducer. I mostly use the 9/19 dual beam iceducer but have others single beam ducers also. Link below.

http://vexilar.com/pages/accessories/accy_transducers_ice.php

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2011, 07:56 PM »
I also use the Genz box with the eye hook,cord  against the wall and transducer just under ice.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:32 PM »
I usually drill a second hole for my "ducer". ;D

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Top of the ducer slightly below the bottom edge of the ice. This way I can rest the cord all the way against the side of the hole. I don't use the float, just the screw eye on my Genx pack. Doing this gives me as much room in the hole as possible and reduces line tangles. Really helps on the smaller 4", 5" and 6" holes I fish the vast majority of the time.
Ditto-with the exception that I modded my FL-18 with a swingout arm for the ducer , but same deal.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2011, 01:59 PM »
o i forgot to add that i also use a swing out arm instead of the float...

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2011, 02:03 PM »
I use the eye bolt on the front of my vex and run the iceducer even with the bottom of the ice. The only thing I use the float for is holding a rod because I lost my rod holder.
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:16 AM »
 I guess i don't think about it 1-2 inches below ice.. I mean i look at the screen I lower the jig to the fish zone adjust as I see the fish move.  Have to admit what depth I'm at doesn't matter much , I see the jig, I see the fish, I connect the dots. I often wonder am I one of the few who still see icefishing as a relatively simple uncomplicated thing?
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2011, 10:40 AM »
I usually drill 3 holes about 2 to 3 feet apart. put my transducer down the middle hole and if the water is fairly clear i can set the fishfinder (humminbird 323 with flasher view) right...and see both jigs on the screen
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:42 AM »
depends on where and what I'm fishing for. I usually have it near the bottom of the hole unless fishing for gills, then I'll bring it up a few inches. another reason to love sight fishing is no ducer tangles! ;D

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2011, 04:58 PM »
just below the ice i usually fish perch and eyes so i always have it in a separate hole

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2011, 05:03 PM »
A couple inches short of being at the bottom of the hole.

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2011, 05:06 PM »
  Three holes. left, right, middle with the transducer just below the ice with the x67c on a bucket.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2011, 06:37 PM »
I keep mine never more than half way down the hole. No need to be further if its close to center of the hole. When the ice is say 3-8 inches I keep the ducer just in the water. In a 6 inch hole fish have no angle to wrap up on the ducer. If I hook something bigger I just kick things out of the way...  ;D

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2011, 06:59 PM »
an Inch below the ice and I just pull it out on bigger fish.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:34 PM »

If you have an auger why wouldn't anybody drill a separate hole just for the transducer.  I never understand why you even take the chance of getting anything tangled when it's so easy to just drill another hole.  Every time I watch ice fishing guide it drives me crazy when they have to stop reeling to pull the five feet of cable out the exact same hole they are fishing.  Drill another freakin hole then it's not an issue ever. And you will never have to stop just incase it gets in the way.  Sorry but this drives me crazy cause it's so easy to not do this.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:37 PM »
  Three holes. left, right, middle with the transducer just below the ice with the x67c on a bucket.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 

Now was that so hard, this is the exact same thing I do.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2011, 06:29 AM »
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 

Now was that so hard, this is the exact same thing I do.
A lot of people fish for perch or gills...say it takes you 20 holes to find some fish.With your method you'll drill 60 holes and most panfish fishermen use a hand auger.If you ask most guys I'll bet they don't mind losing an occasional fish over drilling 3 times as many holes.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2011, 08:50 AM »
If you have an auger why wouldn't anybody drill a separate hole just for the transducer.  I never understand why you even take the chance of getting anything tangled when it's so easy to just drill another hole.  Every time I watch ice fishing guide it drives me crazy when they have to stop reeling to pull the five feet of cable out the exact same hole they are fishing.  Drill another freakin hole then it's not an issue ever. And you will never have to stop just incase it gets in the way.  Sorry but this drives me crazy cause it's so easy to not do this.

When your hole hoping and using a hand auger drilling unneeded holes is waste of time, effort and ice. If you just sit in one spot most of the day drilling several holes in one spot is fine. I try not to drill more holes than I have to in one place. Besides when I'm using a very tiny jig (especially in shallow water) I want the ducer directly over the jig. I also rarely have to pull the ducer cord out of the water when I catch a fish using the method I do.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2011, 09:13 AM »
Same here.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.