Author Topic: First day out  (Read 10619 times)

Offline Garnet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the lines tight and the flags high.
Re: First day out
« Reply #30 on: Nov 29, 2011, 10:09 PM »
i'll be happy if there ice for the knee deep contest on Jan. 22.  but the way this weather is im not counting on it.

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2011, 11:17 AM »
And we all continue to howl at the moon, asking the ICE gods for their gift.

It's coming, in it's own good time. Work on the gear, read other sites for people who are getting out and make plans.

Have you you ordered you bait in bulk? Bought the latest and best you can afford? Scouted new locations?

There is lot's to keep you busy while the fever burns, it helps a tad. Waiting for first ice is like pushing on a string, frustrating to say the least.

Check the national ice monitoring site. http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/loop/usa-1mo-loop.html

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2011, 03:16 PM »
I wonder if I leave out a lot of cookies if Santa will bring ice!?!  ;D

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline skibz123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2011, 10:52 AM »
christmas or new years will be our best bet fish on! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Hello everybody, just joined and looking forward to a safe ice fishing season. I say after the second week in 2012 and the ice will be exactly 4 .123 inches thick off beech rd. on the Monksville. ;D

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:52 PM »
I don't know about 4.123" but I agree with you, we won't see safe ice until sometime in mid January.
:icefish:

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2011, 03:22 PM »
I don't know about 4.123" but I agree with you, we won't see safe ice until sometime in mid January.
What do you consider safe ice? All it takes is a good week of sub freezing temps, preferably in the teens with little wind. I still have my hopes for getting on before Christmas. Give me 3 inches of hard black and im good.

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2011, 09:51 PM »
In NJ no sooner than MLKday.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Ice season is like grammer school summer vacations. Long time coming, last forever, end in a blink of the eye. Last year we got an early start iceing let's hope for more of the same. In the mean time blackfishing is great and maybe a body of keeper stripers well show up north.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Extreme northwestern NJ -- Shallow, very shallow.

Fish
Small and high.

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #40 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:34 PM »
No ICE until the surface is 32 or less, a 10 degree dead still night and you will get lock-up. Any heavy wind will tear off anything that forms overnight until you have 2 inches, and even that won't be counted on, on the big lakes. Soon as the warm backs off, Ill start posting water temps from here in Hamburg at about 400 feet of elevation. It's coming, but like Christmas, in it's own good time.

SAFTEY PICKS.. check   ORDER BAIT ONLINE.. check   GEAR READY TO GO.. check   KEEP CHECKING IceShanty.com...     thats a big 10-4    :tip up:    ;D     :tipup:

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:57 PM »
What do you consider safe ice? All it takes is a good week of sub freezing temps, preferably in the teens with little wind. I still have my hopes for getting on before Christmas. Give me 3 inches of hard black and im good.
I don't care how black the ice is you're nuts going out on 3" of ice dude! :cookoo: Safe ice for me is 5" no and's, if's, or but's about it! Have you ever fallen through?

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:07 PM »
I don't care how black the ice is you're nuts going out on 3" of ice dude! :cookoo: Safe ice for me is 5" no and's, if's, or but's about it! Have you ever fallen through?
As Mike Tyson would say " That is just simply  being Ludicrous" ;D

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:22 PM »
went out on two inches of black ice last year, you could see the fish commin from yards away -- pretty cool.   first time out on black ice and it tripped me out.... its a lot more sturdy than you realize....  3 inches of black is like 6 or 7 of white ice (from what i've gathered).....  but i also didnt go out past my 100 foot rope around my waist and wrapped around a tree on shore.

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:52 AM »
I haven never went through but I have also gone out on 2"s of ice but that will NEVER happen again. 3"s in the spots with the least amount of ice and the thicker spots with 4"s are good for me if its solid ice. I bring a spud bar to check and test drill every 20yards or so. Also have a life jacket and rope in the sled.

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:55 AM »
Ice season is like grammer school summer vacations. Long time coming, last forever, end in a blink of the eye. Last year we got an early start iceing let's hope for more of the same. In the mean time blackfishing is great and maybe a body of keeper stripers well show up north.
Keeper Stripers? that boat has sailed up in the Northern part of the state. I'm sure there are a few resident fish just above keeper size but the majority of good migrators are long gone up North. I did pretty good this year from the sand and jetties but not that great at my usual tidal river spots. Nothing over 20 from the surf but a good amount of keepers this year. Might make another trip down before years end to see if I can find a few locals swimming around.

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 07, 2011, 02:54 PM »
wow 2" is really stretching it!  I'll give it another week if I have to in order to get 2 more. 

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Offline Wizzofd69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard Water 2012
« Reply #47 on: Dec 07, 2011, 05:26 PM »
3" of black ice is safe for one guy to be out there. 2" is pushing it, unless you weigh a 100 pounds.

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 07, 2011, 06:15 PM »
i belive 4 inches or more is good and 5-6 is good for a group of guys. once it hits about 5inches im on it. private pond this year to start. fishgalore you up for it? or we doing mt hope again?
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:12 PM »
Keeper Stripers?  Nothing over 20 from the surf but a good amount of keepers this year. Might make another trip down before years end to see if I can find a few locals swimming around.

Icemark got a nice 32"er off of IBSP a couple weekends ago. Nice fish likely about 15 lbs. on a teaser off the barrel swivel. I'd do it again but the holidays will be upon us then ice! Salmon River this weekend.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:22 PM »
i belive 4 inches or more is good and 5-6 is good for a group of guys. once it hits about 5inches im on it. private pond this year to start. fishgalore you up for it? or we doing mt hope again?

Right around 4" of black ice at Mt. Hope will be my start to the season.............you know it...........game on! I'll give the 1st ice reports for there here on IS. Maybe 20 guys will show up (spot burning much). Just remember you still have to put your line in the water and get the fish to bite. It doesn't matter how good the spot is.......to many variables with zero guarantees!

It happened to me at Hopatcong this year several times...........lots of hot spots..............sku nked again one day then game on the next day. How about the other 2 guys in the same boat slamming em and you're not? Go figure.......I don't know why but that's how it happens sometimes.

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Icemark got a nice 32"er off of IBSP a couple weekends ago. Nice fish likely about 15 lbs. on a teaser off the barrel swivel. I'd do it again but the holidays will be upon us then ice! SR this weekend.
Most 32" fish are less than 15 pounds unless they are filled with bunker but any striper is a nice fish in my book. Heard it was like opening day trout down on IBSP during the time your talking about; not something I am interested in.  I like to creep around at night when I don't have to deal with the crowds. I stayed North(north of shark river) and got plenty of fish between 28 and 34"s. For some reason the fish and sandeels always hang out longer down by IBSP during the late fall but don't stick around too long up North. I hear you on the holidays and ice fishing. I had my share of stripers and now its time to move on. Gonna probably take one of my last trips chasing the bronze this weekend also. Starting to get tough once the water gets down in the low 40's.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Most 32" fish are less than 15 pounds unless they are filled with bunker but any striper is a nice fish in my book. Heard it was like opening day trout down on IBSP during the time your talking about; not something I am interested in.  I like to creep around at night when I don't have to deal with the crowds. I stayed North(north of shark river) and got plenty of fish between 28 and 34"s. For some reason the fish and sandeels always hang out longer down by IBSP during the late fall but don't stick around too long up North. I hear you on the holidays and ice fishing. I had my share of stripers and now its time to move on. Gonna probably take one of my last trips chasing the bronze this weekend also. Starting to get tough once the water gets down in the low 40's.

I'm a greenie on the Stripers......got my 1st one in May. Don't know many spots yet from the shore either. It was basically elbow to elbow. Lots of nice guys though.

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:27 PM »
I'm a greenie on the Stripers......got my 1st one in May. Don't know many spots yet from the shore either. It was basically elbow to elbow. Lots of nice guys though.
Next fall try fishing for them at night, it is really addicting. Throw bombers, needles and any other thin profile lure since bass are mainly keying on sandeels in the fall these past few years. Yea its not too bad if the guys are respectful of each other. The fishing that takes place in June is usually not as "controlled". That is why I am usually chasing the bronze in the spring/early summer.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 08, 2011, 07:17 AM »
Inshore the water temps are 50-52 degrees from between the channels to sr.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Most 32" fish are less than 15 pounds unless they are filled with bunker but any striper is a nice fish in my book.

I went by an estimate and this chart:- http://www.stripersurf.com/ageweight.html

You can view a pic here on p2 about halfway down.  http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=43875.15

Offline acabtp

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I ♥ fishing
« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2011, 07:56 AM »
getting thread back on track...
i pick December 13th as my first day fishing.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
12/13?!  not happening! booo
Waiting for the ice

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:24 AM »
I never trust those fish charts because most of the time they are way off. I see alot of charts for smallies and largemouth that show 20" fish at 5 or 6lbs and that is usually not the case unless they are shaped like a bowling ball. Honestly I shouldn't have said anything since I have always said that you can't tell a fish weight by length or even looking at a pic. The fish in your pic does look like it has been eating pretty well. Below is a fish that I caught in November off a jetty that I think is probably about 32"s and it probably less than 13lbs. Maybe I have been catching anorexic bass the whole time. ;D

I caught this guy on my 5th cast of the night out of my small aluminum in some back bay/river water. I'd say he is pushing the 15lb mark. Maybe I have been underestimating my weights the whole time. Again I apologize if it seemed like I was trying to discredit you.

they were chocking down the rubber shads that night. ;D

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:43 PM »
I haven never went through but I have also gone out on 2"s of ice but that will NEVER happen again. 3"s in the spots with the least amount of ice and the thicker spots with 4"s are good for me if its solid ice. I bring a spud bar to check and test drill every 20yards or so. Also have a life jacket and rope in the sled.
I hope you never do because it's not fun, just ask Doug he can tell you all about the shrinkage!

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 10, 2011, 03:45 AM »
Nice striper photos  steve ;D do you use spinning or conventional tackle on the boat?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.