Author Topic: Hand held GPS  (Read 13420 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Hand held GPS
« on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:51 PM »
 What the best hand held GPS on the market for the money? I'm looking for one that will be able to do the lakes and hot spots maps. I want to be able to take it with me fishing and be able to mark spots that I find are good as well. I have never owned one of these yet so I need a path to not one that has a lot of features I'm never going to use. I looked at Bass Pro and they have a new one out by Lowrance that does the lakes,but is that a good brand for a GPS? Any info you can give me would be a great help!
 Thanks!
  Matt

Offline joemich1911

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hand held GPS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:21 PM »
Check out Garmin, they have several models that accept lake maps and they have a custom map option that allows you to import paper maps to your device. Pretty cool!

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:39 PM »
I have the Garmin 60csx. Great piece of equipment. A+++

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:47 PM »
Lowrance is top notch.  You'll probably get a hand-held garmin though, as they have (I believe) probably the largest selection of different hand helds.  Never used a lowrance hand held, only built in units.  There are a million different ones with different resolution, wireless capabilities, and all sorts of other stuff that you may or may not ever use.  

Two suggestions, go with one that is water-proof if you can and I don't like the touch-screen ones....but that's just personal preference.

Offline iceman_phil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:32 AM »
I too am looking for a hand held GPS....I am not interested in all the bells and whistles....I just want one that is very accurate and simple....I want it to be able to "X marks the hot spot" and then be able to get back home in a snow storm....I don't need all the mapping features for the lakes I fish.

Phil

Offline elkguide1107

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:46 AM »
I use a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX, you can get one for like $250 now because theyve come out with some new models but for about 10years the 60CSX was pretty much the industry standard for hiking/hunting handhelds.  As far as handhelds for hunting/hiking/fishing go, do not buy anything except Garmin, you will regret it - if you don't believe me, buy another brand.  If you really wanna be upset with yourself, buy a bushnell GPS.
A bad day fishin' beats a good day of anything else (except elk hunting!)

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:51 AM »
Buy based on where you live!

Meaning that Garmin map chips are better for some parts of the country, and Navonics map chips are better for others.

Delorme or Lowrance would be the GPS device that take the Navonics chip.

I live in Maine, and for the North East the Navonics is better, so I have that with a Delorme.

Offline littlehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:20 AM »
i have a very basic garmin it doesnt show lake maps or contour it just shows the outline of the lake in blue and where you are on the lake but it works just fine for this purpose of finding your spot again

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:30 AM »
The GPSMAP 60CSX by Garmin is by far the most accurate.  In my opinion.  I use it for Geocaching and am usually within 4 to 6 feet of the cache.  I have used it to find spots that I have marked in open water to ice fish also.  Thats my 2 cents.  lol. Geo..

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:18 AM »
I have been using my old Garmin E-Map for about 7 years now...The screen is larger so its easy to see  my waypoints and tracks. I know there is more accurate units because of the "WAAS" system, but if it gets me within 20' of structure I am happy, i will pinpoint it from there.
       I download fishing hotspots for contour lines of lakes and public launches and then replace with topo maps for hunting (all of noth america). The only feature it doesnt have is road map directions.
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Offline icepollack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Does the Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSX read the Navionics Lake Map chip?  Thanks.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Dont know/  Check with Garmin.

www.garmin.com

good luck Geo.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2011, 01:56 PM »
Does the Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSX read the Navionics Lake Map chip?  Thanks.

no

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2011, 03:02 PM »
I have a older marine version Magellan. It works OK! It is a battery hog, has trouble in extreme cold and has trouble near areas of high mineral content. Most of my best spots tend to be near high minerals, underwater springs. The Garmins are way better. I have learned, from buying cell phones and laptops, that battery life can sometimes mean the most.
I pratice fillet and release!

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2011, 03:06 PM »
I have the DeLORME PN-40 with a Navionics. I really like it. I use it to walk to spots I've marked during both open water and hard water fishing trips.
You can follow contours on the map and be fairly sure of the depth. I've drilled a series of holes up a drop off and followed up with the sonar. The chip also fits my Humminbird 385ci, but I usually carry the PN-40.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2011, 03:44 PM »
I also have the Garmin 60csx with lakemaster and I love it, would definetely recommend :tipup:

Offline muskydg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Delorme PN-40 for me. Got 1 this year and love it. Better than the new lowrance endura's. They have the solunor calendar built in and also barometric pressure. Can't beat this unit

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:06 PM »
 I was looking at the PN-40 and the Lowrance Endura Safari. This Safari does have the barometric pressure gauge. The Safari comes with the Fishing Hot Spots pro chip for $349. The PN-40 is also on sale right now for $299. Has anybody used a Lowrance before?
 Thanks
  Matt

Delorme PN-40 for me. Got 1 this year and love it. Better than the new lowrance endura's. They have the solunor calendar built in and also barometric pressure. Can't beat this unit

Offline muskydg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:28 PM »
i bought the endura first and didn't like it right off. If you are planning on using navionics map chip you can't overlay the map with trails and icons. Something to do with lowrance. i sent it back and got the delorme. great piece of equipment. sorryy about no caps had surgery on my arm. little hard doing 1 handed and also the wrong hand.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Have the Garmin 60csx also.  Its more user friendly  t han a Magellan 1500 I had earlier.  Bass Pro had them for $219.95 At Christmas time.

Offline GaryF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:27 AM »
I picked up the Garmin Nuvi 550 and can't give it enough praise. It does both duties as a car and handheld unit. I punch in the co-ordinates to any place and it will take me there the quickest way and straight on out to the spot on the lake. Best of all it talks to you to tell you if you are going astray on the ice so you can focus on the driving not the screen.
Wanna go? Drop me a line!!

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I'm with Browning13, have a Garmin 60CSX with Lakemaster and it works great.  I paid big bucks for mine and now you can buy them under $200.00.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2011, 06:54 PM »
 How detailed r the Lakemaster maps on the GPS? Does it let u mark spots on the map and store them on that map? I have never used a GPS so this is all new to me.
 Thanks
  Matt

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:18 PM »
To be honest the only lake map I've used in my GPS is the Lakemaster for MI.  I think it's great but other maps could be just as good or better.  When you mark your spot you can go back to it on any map you have in the  unit.  The lake map chip shows contour lines and depths on most public lakes.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:47 PM »
74 ~ where are you fishing, i.e. State.  That makes the biggest difference on the lake map chips, thus GPS recommendations.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:05 PM »
 I'm fishing in Illinois,Iowa,and Kentucky(soft water).
 Thanks
  Matt

74 ~ where are you fishing, i.e. State.  That makes the biggest difference on the lake map chips, thus GPS recommendations.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:45 AM »
i have a lowrance ifinder pro.  no color here.  just 18 shades of gray.  i have the topo map fishing map east also for it.  absolutly love it.

Offline Chris Gatley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:20 AM »
Navionics charts do not work in Garmin units, sorry.

DeLorme and some Lowrance  hand helds currently.  Right now, I am in Manitoba.  It seems that the DeLorme and magellan are big out here.  But, most of these guys are installing GPS plotters in their 4x$ trucks for fishing Lake of the Woods and Lake Winnipeg etc...New to me but still taking things to a greater level.  Gotta love it.

Chris Gatley
Navionics Manager

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:49 AM »
I'm fishing in Illinois,Iowa,and Kentucky(soft water).
 Thanks
  Matt

List of lakes for:
Garmin LakeMaster Iowa-Illinois:  http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/lakemaster/coverage_pdfs/Iowa_Illinois_lake_list.pdf

Garmin Inland Lakes Vision — North Central (Includes freshwater lakes in North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio and Wisconsin, as well as full coverage of lakes that extend into neighboring states. Bull Shoals, Norfolk and Table Rock lakes in Missouri and Arkansas and Pymatuning Reservoir and Shenango River Lake in Pennsylvania and Ohio are covered in their entirety.):   http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/inlandvision/Vision_Lakes_List.pdf

Navonics HotMaps® Premium North (for Iowa):  http://www.navionics.com/LakeList_HMPremium.asp?RegionID=1

Navonics HotMaps® Premium East (for Illinois and Kentucky):  http://www.navionics.com/LakeList_HMPremium.asp?RegionID=3

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:33 AM »
i bought the endura first and didn't like it right off. If you are planning on using navionics map chip you can't overlay the map with trails and icons. Something to do with lowrance. i sent it back and got the delorme. great piece of equipment. sorryy about no caps had surgery on my arm. little hard doing 1 handed and also the wrong hand.

thats why i didn't get the endura ,to me it was useless ,i have an old h20 that works great with an nav 08 chip ,but i chipped my lowrance 113 with a 2010 chip big difference but the old h2o didn't have enough room , i'm hearing really good things abot the pn-40

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.