Author Topic: Hand held GPS  (Read 13421 times)

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hand held GPS
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:17 AM »
thats why i didn't get the endura ,to me it was useless ,i have an old h20 that works great with an nav 08 chip ,but i chipped my lowrance 113 with a 2010 chip big difference but the old h2o didn't have enough room , i'm hearing really good things abot the pn-40
Filet I was looking at the lowerance h2o yesterday at Cabelas yesterday, they had them in the bargain cave for about 180.00. How accurate are the hot map chips for it? I fish "your lake" quite a bit and like to go exploring. I don't think that having enough room would be an issue. How does this unit compare to some of the others that your crew uses? THANK YOU , GOOD LUCK, AND SAVE A FEW PERCH FOR ME.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2011, 02:48 PM »
I think what he meant by not enough room was not enough memory for the chip?

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2011, 03:48 PM »
Cabela's has a good deal on the Oregon 450 right now - I think it is $250.00.  I have do not have any experience with it, but considering buying it for fishing use.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2011, 04:24 PM »
199, amazon

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2011, 04:42 PM »
would you need the bigger card or what comes with it is fine???

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2011, 07:04 PM »
What is 199 at Amazon?  Not the Garmin Oregon 450 that I see anyhow?

199, amazon

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:28 AM »
I don't need to much of the fancy stuff, but in my research I narrowed it down to 2, a garmin 60 CSX you can get new on amazon with free shipping for $199, and a Delorme PN 40 from walmart online for $230 with free shipping. I went with the pn40 because it will take the navionics chips, that for my area are better than the lake master.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2011, 11:46 AM »
What is 199 at Amazon?  Not the Garmin Oregon 450 that I see anyhow?

No it is the 60 on sale. Will this be Ok for Pa, I live in the North east and didnot know you need different kinds of GPS for your area, I want to pull the trigger on the 60csx so if someone can help me, appreciate it, I would basically want it to find my good spots that I found on the lakes and for Geo cas.(hobby) Maybe to help find my way out of the woods, something you can depend on a signal

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2011, 01:35 PM »
The gps units are all about the same for what you are talking about. The thing is if you want to buy the good lake contour map chips separately above and beyond the gps unit. Navionics has better lake maps for my area WI. and MN. and Lakemaster has better lake maps for other area's. You should talk to some people in your area who have the fancy gps units in there boats about who has the better map chips for your area? Lakemaster, or Navionics? Garmin takes Lakemaster, and Delorme and Lowrance take the Navionics chips.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 04, 2011, 01:53 PM »
should I buy the 2gb card for it also??

Offline gosha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 04, 2011, 02:25 PM »
I still not sure and haven't been comparing features. Perhaps in new york the Garmin but which one is full of features for lake fishing? Is the Solar and  barameter feature built in all these gps designed for boating and outdoor recreation? I certainly want one that is shock proof and totally waterproof.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2011, 04:06 PM »
It all depends on how much money you want to spend. The 2 I mentioned were in my price range I just received my DeLorme PN 40 I haven't used it yet so I can report back after I try it this weekend. I paid $230 with free shipping. It came with a 2gb card but will take up to a 35gb card. I don't have the money for the Navionics chip yet, for the Navionics HotMaps Premium 2D Lake Maps chip cost $149 from Bass Pro. I might not be able to get the money for that till this summer. I spent a fortune this year on ice fishing stuff, but next year will be all downhill.

Offline gosha

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Me too, spent a nice chunk of change too on ice fishing stuff  but glad I did, have no regrets with the shanty /fishfinder /bib / and tackle.. now the gps will work for open water if I decide which has the best features for the buck.  Thanks for the reply too ;D

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2011, 07:36 PM »
No it is the 60 on sale. Will this be Ok for Pa, I live in the North east and didnot know you need different kinds of GPS for your area, I want to pull the trigger on the 60csx so if someone can help me, appreciate it, I would basically want it to find my good spots that I found on the lakes and for Geo cas.(hobby) Maybe to help find my way out of the woods, something you can depend on a signal
Nam we both fish the same Pa waters and I went with the Lowrance H20C, I picked it out of the bargain cave at Cabelas for 180.00. I didn't go with the garmin because it isn't compatible with the Navionics lake maps. I am not sure if these maps will work on the smaller lakes but I think Beltsville would probably be on it. Pick one up and next year we can compare them out on the ice.This weekends weather is going to put a hurting on the shores.

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 04, 2011, 08:08 PM »
I dont understand Navionics lake maps. I just need one to mark my spots on the lake and so I dont get lost in the woods. What maps does the 60csx take then so you can see the lake contours etc. And yes I hope to get something going next year where all the guys in this area can maybe meet at Tuscaroa or Manucg Chunk. Just so we can have a good day of shooting the bull and catching fish. This way we know who we are talking to

Offline icepollack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 05, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Do you know of anyone who has used the Delorme PN 40 with Navionics hot maps?  I am curious how compatible they are for accuracy and plotting way points.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #46 on: Mar 06, 2011, 06:36 AM »
Do you know of anyone who has used the Delorme PN 40 with Navionics hot maps?  I am curious how compatible they are for accuracy and plotting way points.

I have the PN30 and find it very accurate.  The "other" BIG sporting goods store has the Navonics chips on sale atm.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #47 on: Mar 06, 2011, 11:33 PM »
Well  i went with the Delorme PN-40! I got it off Ebay for $215 shipped!!! I cann't wait to try it out.  i just wish there was still enough ice to get out and fish! Thanks to all who responded to this thread!
  Matt

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #48 on: Mar 07, 2011, 11:37 AM »
I was playing around with my PN 40 this morning I walked way back in the yard about a 1/4 mile, marked a waypoint, then walked back, then used the gps to go back to the waypoint, when it said I was there I was about 7 feet from the exact spot I marked, not bad.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 07, 2011, 01:39 PM »
I dont understand Navionics lake maps. I just need one to mark my spots on the lake and so I dont get lost in the woods. What maps does the 60csx take then so you can see the lake contours etc. And yes I hope to get something going next year where all the guys in this area can maybe meet at Tuscaroa or Manucg Chunk. Just so we can have a good day of shooting the bull and catching fish. This way we know who we are talking to

Generally hand helds will come with basic road maps with body of water outlines, no bathymetry or topo, generally.  Some do come with topo maps....some come with marine charts, etc.  The Navionics are upgrades, better maps to be displayed, latest info, that sort of thing.  Out of the box with no upgrades, any hand held will let you mark a waypoint and then navigate back to that waypoint.  If it's not on or right next to a road, it will just tell you what direction to that point no matter what might be inbetween you and said waypoint.  You will also be able to turn tracking on out of the box, so you can retrace your steps.  Tracking uses up memory, so depending on which model you get, you can only save so many tracks.  Some tracks you may only need saved for the day, while others I'm sure you might want to save and then be able to display on your screen for a long time. 

I suggest going and using someone elses, seeing what features/upgrades that you like most and then figure out what you want and how much you can afford.  You can also download some maps free if you know what you're doing....

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #50 on: Mar 07, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Thats right if you just want to mark your spots, it is ready right out of the box. That is mainly what I want to do so I don't lose my spots, the lake contour maps are a extra, not a necessity for me. I will buy them when I have the extra cash. For now I just want to mark my spots so I don't lose them when it snows. If it can get me within 10 feet of a spot I marked, I am very happy.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 13, 2011, 10:09 AM »
For those in favor of the Delorme, is there any reason NOT to go up to the model 60 other than cost?

Fishing primarily WI I use Navionics chips so my first choice of Garmin is out.

Offline icepollack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:45 AM »
I have the DeLORME PN-40 with a Navionics. I really like it. I use it to walk to spots I've marked during both open water and hard water fishing trips.
You can follow contours on the map and be fairly sure of the depth. I've drilled a series of holes up a drop off and followed up with the sonar. The chip also fits my Humminbird 385ci, but I usually carry the PN-40.
[ :)/quote]

Offline icepollack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:48 AM »
I have the DeLORME PN-40 with a Navionics. I really like it. I use it to walk to spots I've marked during both open water and hard water fishing trips.
You can follow contours on the map and be fairly sure of the depth. I've drilled a series of holes up a drop off and followed up with the sonar. The chip also fits my Humminbird 385ci, but I usually carry the PN-40.

I have the Delorme PN 40.  You said you marked spots on yours.  How do you mark way pts. and save them using the PN 40 with the Navionics sd card?     When I try to do this with the Navionics card in the unit, a screen tells me that I have to put an sd card in the unit?  Thanks,

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #54 on: Mar 14, 2011, 09:36 AM »
You can't mark the spots on the navionics chip itself, you mark the waypoint on the pn40 just like any other waypoint. Then I believe you can overlay the the waypoint, but not actually save it on the Navi map chip. If that makes any sense. The best place to ask questions is in the Delorme PN 40 forum message board. The PN 60 is a new model and cost more but I went with the tried and true PN 40 that has most of the bugs worked out of it, and has a good reputation. For what I want to use if for it is fine, I don't need anymore bells and whistles.

Offline joemich1911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Just wanted to add I recently purchased a Garmin map62s. It will be an awesome addition to my fishing and hunting tools. This unit is highly accurate and accepts birds eye imagery thats allows the user to upload satellite images(ran through google earth)that will come in very handy to distinquish exact shoreline detail. I also purchased the lake map put out by Garmin. These maps show depth contours of 5ft. as well as marinas and launches. I contemplated buying a fish finder gps combo, but for the price I believe a handheld offers more options as well as more funtion. Try hauling your fish finder in the deer woods! lol...

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #56 on: Mar 17, 2011, 01:26 PM »
The PN 40 also has satellite imagery plus topo usa topographic maps to over lay on gps. Here is some good info I discovered about google maps and gps coordinates, I will repost it here. it works really slick.

I had the same trouble with google maps. Go to this website http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html and convert Degrees, Minutes, Seconds., into the decimal equivalent, enter the decimal Lat and Long in the google maps search bar like this 45.991051,-91.919683 and it will show you your waypoint. You can also convert the decimal Lat Long from a google map location into Degrees, Minutes, Seconds to enter into your gps. In google maps make sure you are in the satellite mode, zoom in or out. If you want to find a gps location right click on a spot on the map and click "whats here?" the decimal location will show up on the search bar, convert it and enter it into your gps.

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 20, 2011, 11:52 AM »
 Check to see if the  lake master and navonics chips cover the areas you want to fish. I've been looking at all the web sites and found that the Garmin Inland lakes chip covers the waters I fish, lakemaster , navoics & the fishing hotspots did not. Now I have too decide wwhitch Garmin to buy. My G +3 had a hart attack after 15 years of good service and it was a referbished unit. Check out their site I'm sure you con find a good deal.
Bob P.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.