Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: i'm out  (Read 5480 times)

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
i'm out
« on: Feb 20, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Well the fat lady hit that high note this weekend around here and I am packing it up for the season.

now to hit the to do list and a few other things before complete ice out and i start tearing up crappie

have to figure out where/how to put my shack up for the season, thinking of hanging it from the garage ceiling some how

have to start getting ready for bow turkey season

want to head out to red rock and snag me some carp for something to do

see you all over at myfishfinder.com

jt

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: i'm out
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2011, 12:26 PM »
A week ago I was laughing at people who said we would be done ice-fishing for the year in SE Iowa by now, but here we are.   :-\

I thought the warm weather forecast would change as we got in to last week, and it did: it got worse from an ice-making and ice-keeping standpoint. The shoreline ice is mostly gone around IC, and the ice beyond that is rotten.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2011, 12:50 PM »
Well the fat lady hit that high note this weekend around here and I am packing it up for the season.

now to hit the to do list and a few other things before complete ice out and i start tearing up crappie

have to figure out where/how to put my shack up for the season, thinking of hanging it from the garage ceiling some how

They have these pulley systems to hang bikes.  I believe you can get them at Menards.  Just have to check the minimun wt requirements, though.

jt

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:33 PM »
A week ago I was laughing at people who said we would be done ice-fishing for the year in SE Iowa by now, but here we are.   :-\

I thought the warm weather forecast would change as we got in to last week, and it did: it got worse from an ice-making and ice-keeping standpoint. The shoreline ice is mostly gone around IC, and the ice beyond that is rotten.

Got plenty of ice here, but I think I'm burnt out. Time to start walleye fishing.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bmk1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2011, 02:35 PM »
I'm also done and packed up down here in SW Iowa. Had a decent year, went out just about every weekend. Bring on the spring bass !!

Offline Chickenfarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Hey JT--- 15 years ago I lived 8 miles south of Indianola and fished river below Red Rock dam. We used to slam Walleye and my PB of 11lbs. came from there. Do you know, is the Walleye and crappie fishing still good?

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Hey JT--- 15 years ago I lived 8 miles south of Indianola and fished river below Red Rock dam. We used to slam Walleye and my PB of 11lbs. came from there. Do you know, is the Walleye and crappie fishing still good?

hear of people catching walleye down there but i cant seem to catch them...

Offline Chickenfarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:57 PM »
you have to boat down the river a ways, find where they dredged it out on the north side. Just like fishing a lake.

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2011, 01:48 PM »
I am done on this site as well for the season. Hope to see ya'll on myfishfinder! im basspro23. laters!

walleyewinder23

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2011, 03:50 PM »
I will be ice fishing in Iowa for the next three weeks and have a trip to northern minnesota the second to last weekend in March.

Offline hardwaternick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Was on this weekend a little thin at shore but lots once on. Will be out for a while yet and will be on LOW the 13th to 17th can't wait will be the end to a great year of hardwater fishing!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:35 PM »
This will possibly be my last post on Iceshanty for this season...

What we've got in Iowa City, and south of here, is the worst-case scenario from a fishing point of view: the week-long heat wave and rain made most or all of our ice unsafe, but it didn't actually get rid of most of that unsafe ice.

Now we're going to get a few days of weather that will neither melt that mushy honey-combed pulp on the ponds and lakes so we can fish them with long rods, or re-freeze that ice enough to make it safe for ice-fishing.

Oh, and the heat wave that ruined the ice in Johnson County also melted off the snow and raised the rivers here so they aren't very fishable, either.

I'll make one, (OK, maybe two) trips to southern Minnesota in the next couple weeks if their ice holds and gas doesn't go up to $5.00/gallon, and that will be it for me.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:47 AM »
I'm back in.  ;D

Some of the pond ice around Iowa City that was mush with open water at the edges a week ago froze up enough to fish again this weekend. Looks like I'll make it in to early March down here after all.

Offline shawner30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:41 AM »
I totally agree Midnight Rambler. The ice around the edges at MacBride was better this week than last week. If it stays cold at night we'll be fishing for another week or two!

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:56 AM »
I totally agree Midnight Rambler. The ice around the edges at MacBride was better this week than last week. If it stays cold at night we'll be fishing for another week or two!

I agree, hoping to get out this afternoon and then again tomorrow. Now to head to Palo or MacBride?

Craig

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:29 AM »
There is fishable ice here in the quad cities as well.. but I'm sick of ice fishing.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:18 PM »

jt

be careful putting it up in the rafters...I did that one year with an old one I had with my gear in it....mice destroyed everything.  even the cork off the rod blanks.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Bryan in iowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2011, 12:38 PM »
I had mice trouble one time . ate holes in my hut big time .  Now I always scatter dryer sheets in it and all my gear . Fresh sheets end of summer. no trouble so far .

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2011, 01:33 PM »
I had mice trouble one time . ate holes in my hut big time .  Now I always scatter dryer sheets in it and all my gear . Fresh sheets end of summer. no trouble so far .

What brand do you use?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:19 PM »
wont be in the rafters... garage is sheetrocked so hopefully that will help. I want it off the ground to keep the mice away for sure

Offline Bryan in iowa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:50 PM »
I just used some el cheapo generic  dryer sheets .

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2011, 05:02 AM »
I've used just cheap dryer sheets for 4 years or so and no mice.  It either works or I'm lucky.

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2011, 05:34 AM »
don't even like talking about closing time. hope you guys had a good season. we still have good ice here in new york. hope to fish for 4 more weeks if we are lucky. have a safe summer on the soft water.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2011, 12:10 PM »
I've used just cheap dryer sheets for 4 years or so and no mice.  It either works or I'm lucky.

MOTH BALLS work well too, i've kept the little buggers away every year.  not sure who told me that moth balls work, but sure glad they did many years ago!!!  i put them in my boat for the winter too, they work well.

i think i will throw in some dryer sheets this year too..can't hurt.
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2011, 04:56 PM »
Now I'm really out for the season in Iowa City.  :)

There is probably still fishable ice on the ponds here once you get past the shorelines, and probably still safe ice on Macbride too. I didn't have time to spud anything, but the ponds along my morning walk look passable, with new skim ice on the edges, which opened up Thursday and Friday. I'd get my boots wet and muddy looking, but I bet the ice over deeper water might still be decent.

Between having other things to do, the iffy ice, and the slow bite I had last week, though, I am done ice-fishing here. Rain and highs in the forties starting tomorrow will make the ice here unsafe very quickly. One more trip to southern Minnesota next weekend, and all my ice stuff is getting stowed away til November.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2011, 06:02 PM »
I put my stuff away yesterday :( Soon the nice weather will be here and open water fishing, biking and camping....

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2011, 09:20 PM »
I fished a qarry 30 miles north of Wloo today and it had sold edges and 10-12" of good ice, maybe tricking getting on next weekend but there should still be plenty of good ice for one more go.

Offline newtoia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:21 AM »
I "summerized" my auger yesterday, and packed up the shack...looks like i am done.

Offline bmk1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:37 AM »
I "summerized" my auger yesterday, and packed up the shack...looks like i am done.

This was my first year having a gas auger, what should I do to it for the summer?

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:43 AM »
2 or 4 stroke?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.