Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: i'm out  (Read 5481 times)

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: i'm out
« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:43 AM »
Treat a two-stroke ice auger motor just like you would a two-stroke outboard, chainsaw, or whatever that you are putting in storage--the first steps also apply to a four-stroke, with one exception I noted below:

Fill the gas tank, and put in the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer.

Run the motor for about five minutes to be sure the stabilized fuel gets in all the lines, carb, and chamber.

Cut the fuel off and let the motor run out, as you don't want too much gas-air mix stuck in the carb for months--this can be hard on the seals.

THIS NEXT PART ONLY APPLIES TO TWO-STROKES: remove the spark plug(s), and spray the combustion chamber with fogging oil. Also spray some fogging oil in the carb. Pull the start cord a couple times to coat the cylinder walls with fogging oil. DO NOT USE FOGGING OIL ON FOUR-STROKE MOTORS--IT WILL GUM THEM UP.

Put your motor away for the year. It should start right up next fall or winter. The fuel stabilizer keeps the gas from breaking down in to turpentine, which is why you want to make sure mixed fuel gets all through the motor. A clean tank of gas does no good if there are pockets of turpentine in the carb, fuel lines, and chamber.

In a two-stroke motor, fogging oil protects the carb and cylinder walls from moisture and corrosion that can build up while it sits. Again, DO NOT use fogging oil on a four-stroke.

Offline bmk1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 07, 2011, 07:43 PM »
thank you for the input !!!!

Offline newtoia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:44 AM »
I actually do things a little differently (and have for the last number of years with no issues). I start my auger, make sure it is good and warmed up, turn it off, and dump all of the gas out into a gas can.  I then start the auger up again and run all of the remaining gas out of it until it shuts off.  I then choke it, and pull it about 5 more times to make sure there is no gas left in it.  It has always worked for me!

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Looks like things are over in Central IA. I just got my setup all complete, and now the ice goes and melts on me. I'm ready for next year.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=191693.0

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:24 PM »
I fished a qarry 30 miles north of Wloo today and it had sold edges and 10-12" of good ice, maybe tricking getting on next weekend but there should still be plenty of good ice for one more go.

Must be where you got the decent Northern's a month back or so in the Waterloo/CF thread.   ;) ;D

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I actually do things a little differently (and have for the last number of years with no issues). I start my auger, make sure it is good and warmed up, turn it off, and dump all of the gas out into a gas can.  I then start the auger up again and run all of the remaining gas out of it until it shuts off.  I then choke it, and pull it about 5 more times to make sure there is no gas left in it.  It has always worked for me!

You're lucky your seals or gaskets don't dry out during the summer.

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:19 PM »

Must be where you got the decent Northern's a month back or so in the Waterloo/CF thread.   ;) ;D
@)

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 17, 2011, 08:56 PM »
So I've never figured out the best way to winterize either my lawnboy or my ice auger and I think I must switch off every other year.  One year run the gas out next fill it up and stabil it.  Everyone has there own preference but I just wish I knew the correct answer.

Offline crappiiguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 17, 2011, 10:33 PM »
I use my auger all year...  I have an earth auger for it.   No need to summerize it.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 17, 2011, 11:30 PM »
when I put my auger up for the year :'(  I just put it away. I make sure there is some gas in it and that is my only thought . I make sure to pull it over once in a while through the summer . Never any problems.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 18, 2011, 03:16 PM »
I use my auger all year...  I have an earth auger for it.   No need to summerize it.

What kind of fish do you catch in the earth?   :P ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Mar 21, 2011, 02:04 PM »

What kind of fish do you catch in the earth?   :P ;D

He drills down to the sewer line and fishes for brown trout.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.