The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Fiskas  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fiskas
« on: Jan 23, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has noticed any quality change in Fiska's. At $2.79 apiece I have had 2 that seperated from the hook an a couple that have had other issues, such as, the bead moves on the hook shank. Talked with someone from the company and they say I am the only complaint.  Just wondering.....
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fiskas
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:12 PM »
I have noticed this as well. The solder dose not seem to hold up well.  I have had the hooks spin in the jig head on several jigs. I think they are trying to meet the high demand with no quality control. Some of my older Fiska's are just fine and have taken a beating but this years Jigs seem cheaper.

Offline raisinrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2011, 11:11 PM »
I have had a few that have had problems maybe 3 or 4 out of all the ones I have owned which is a ton! I got to have over 500 of them by now. You will always get a few bad ones every now and again no matter what brand jig you get.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:11 AM »
I have noticed this as well. The solder dose not seem to hold up well.  I have had the hooks spin in the jig head on several jigs. I think they are trying to meet the high demand with no quality control. Some of my older Fiska's are just fine and have taken a beating but this years Jigs seem cheaper.

I agree 100% For those of us that have been using them for a long time it's not hard to see the change in quality. The paints been wearing off alot quicker as well.

Offline k rock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:08 AM »
The only problem I've been having is the paint coming off very quickly.  So now I mostly use the epoxy ones.  They seem to hold up best.
WTB a 4'' or 5'' hand auger

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:30 AM »
Wonder if the changed their manufacturing site. Have dozens of the older ones and a couple of newer ones purchased look "cheaper". Probably find out they're now POS Chinese crap for profits sake. Starting to look elsewhere for replacements when needed. Most others that are similar are already from China, at best simply painted here

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Wonder if the changed their manufacturing site. Have dozens of the older ones and a couple of newer ones purchased look "cheaper". Probably find out they're now POS Chinese crap for profits sake. Starting to look elsewhere for replacements when needed. Most others that are similar are already from China, at best simply painted here

Thats what I am wondering as well. All of the jigs that I have acquired this time around were ordered online. I can't find em here at my local stores because they fly off the shelves.  If your looking for alternatives the Bently tungsten jigs are really good....but very very pricy almost $4 a jig!! :o. I believe they are made in Poland and imported here. For all the newer jigs that have broke I guess I could have just spent a little more and not have dealt with the hassle.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Marmish aren't bad, hooks a touch stouter than I like but they do catch fish

Offline twohand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I had a copper through hole that seperated from the hook. I couldnt really blame the jig, it was on about fish 200 that it broke. I just about cried, 3mm copper glow head through holes are kinda scarce these days.

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:58 PM »
i use them 99% of the time-havent had any problems(knock on wood)

Offline duffy7382

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Call your bobbersdown and the will warranty the jig.
Frabill/Plano ProStaff
NilsMaster USA ProStaff
Zippo Field Staff
BD Fishing
NAIFC Team 829

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:26 PM »
I had a 4 inch bluegill rip the bottom half of the hook right off the jig!  There goes $3 and a couple minutes of fishing time.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline matthendryx

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'd rather be fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:11 AM »
I have been a fiska fan ever since i discovered them about 3 years ago i have about 20 to 30 of them and i have noticed that in the newer ones the hooks seem cheaper, they bend easy and dint keep their form. Now one of fiskas claim to fame is the hook orientation to the body (not exact words, but if you own fiska jigs you know what i am talking about the hook is bent differently than other jigs) so if i am bending the hook "back" on my jigs frequently then i am changing the factory orientation. I am no newbie to icefishing i have been icefishing since i was about 12 and i am 31 now so i know you will bend hooks on jigs its gunna happen my point is when you pay 2.50 to 4.00 for one icefishing you should get the quality to go along with it. I keep them stored in a foam container where they are held rigid, so its not from travel or storage. I believe that the hook quality has gone down hill since i have started using them. I bought one last month that doesn't have a "I-loop" (one where you tie it up right through the body) I sent it down the whole got one bite missed the fish, jigged a few more times and nothing no more bites ????? i thought to myself, maybe hes took my bait, brought the line back up and the whole dam hook was gone??? brand new frick'in jig got one bite there goes 3.00 on one bite **censored**, come on fiska get it together!! we got a great quality guy here at the shop if you want to borrow him! I have already started looking at other brands  :-\  
Lets fish....

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:19 AM »
The last two years I have had a number of hooks literally "snap" off at the body. Hate when that happens to a 3 buck jig!

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:23 AM »
Havent had any snap off, but did have one come loose and spin within the body.  This was after about 100 fish...

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I emailed the company and they gave me the run around.  I mailed them one that just seperated from the hook so I guess I will just have to go with other brands.  I don't know if they were always made in Russia because I never had reason to look till this year.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Need to remember North America is a relatively new market for a lot of European icefishing equipment. They've been taking icefishing seriously forever and high quality products are the norm. Entering our market, and at least doubling the possible sales, may be leading to shortcuts or out sourcing to meet our new needs. I hope not but wouldn't doubt it. Exchanging quality for ease of expansion and profits over time has run numerous companies into the ground over time

Offline Jeff1090

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:17 AM »
Those ones that you get that are defective might be one made on a Monday or a Friday. Thats my guess, I have a s*#!T ton of there jigs and like someone said in an earlier reply I have maby had only a few that were like that. I'm sure the store you bought them from will replace them.
Keepin the tip up!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:37 AM »
Swift may have very valid points there!

Offline andrew10493

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:49 AM »
i have the same problem with mine catch about twenty fish with them and they start falling apart

Offline saltydog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:01 PM »
well i just bought my first one going to try it tomorrow . one question what is the little bead on there for .

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:06 PM »
Contrasting speck of color, sometimes keep it if it looks decent otherwise it's pitched

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:46 PM »
While I don't have a ton of them, I do have a few.
The only problem I have ever found with them is the hook breaking, but when you have to wrench them out of the jaws of 8-11 inch Bluegills on a regular basis, it should be expected.
I use a lot of fine wire hooks year round so I am familiar with them.
The amount of fish they catch is worth the money in my book.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:54 PM »
It's happened to me twice so far this year...I just deal with it....look on the bright side they are still cheaper than a gallon of gas and we all know how that spanks us in the pampers every day!!

Get the epoxy though...paint holds up much better!!!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:57 PM »
Contrasting speck of color, sometimes keep it if it looks decent otherwise it's pitched
So curious.......the little piece of plastic tubing you see after the bead on similar jigs....what is it for....just to hold the bead in place? Gets in the way of putting a bait on the jig and is a pain to get off the hook.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:01 PM »
Europeans have finesse techniques we're only starting to hear about. They're so far ahead of us in presentations it's scary what'll happen when we get the hang of it. Their line is rated in ounces and they choose to target dinks for tourneys

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:12 PM »
So maybe to hold a plastic better then I would assume.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2011, 03:47 PM »
i had a few fiskas hooks break and jig start to fall apart after about 20 fish but prolly my fault.

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2011, 05:06 PM »
The fiskas tungsten jigs seem to work great, nice and heavy, show up well on the vex. Havent had much of a problem with those. I just have a bunch of old ones that work great, but I am about ready to place an order until now... :-\
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline tight_lines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 15, 2011, 07:29 AM »
The fiskas tungsten jigs seem to work great, nice and heavy, show up well on the vex. Havent had much of a problem with those. I just have a bunch of old ones that work great, but I am about ready to place an order until now... :-\

I wouldn't worry about it.  I ordered 18 last year and 18 this year. This is only my third season ice fishing, but I haven't had any problems with them.  I mostly only get the epoxy ones as they stand up better to the forceps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.