The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Fiskas  (Read 6024 times)

Offline ryguy525

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fiskas
« Reply #30 on: Oct 16, 2011, 08:19 PM »
The last 2 years a have had at least 5 a season break on me.  The ones that break seem to do it almost immedietly out of the package.  Its disapointing but until someone else makes a jig that catches fish like those i will continue to spend lots of money on them.

Offline Plaidstork44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Oct 16, 2011, 08:27 PM »
I only had one break on me maybe I just got lucky.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 20, 2011, 07:42 PM »
  Quality has went downhill in my opinion in the last year.  Had 2 hooks break off last year and paint coming off.  Caught lots of fish with them, switched to bumblebee's last yr and I'm very satisified although a little more money.

Offline JRmate22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Oct 24, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Noticed Northland was selling tungsten jigs now, maybe they have in the past but I never noticed, only had a few colors at Gander in lansing, selling for $2.49. Hooks aren't the fine wire type like Fiska...

"He, careful man, there's a beverage here"

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #34 on: Oct 24, 2011, 10:14 AM »
I love mooska jigs most of the time that's all I use.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline raisinrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Oct 26, 2011, 11:28 AM »
The last 2 years a have had at least 5 a season break on me.  The ones that break seem to do it almost immedietly out of the package.  Its disapointing but until someone else makes a jig that catches fish like those i will continue to spend lots of money on them.

Take a look at Sportsman's Directs tungsten jigs, you catch just has many on theirs and I think the quality is better also
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 28, 2011, 06:44 AM »
I am a fiskas guy. I can only remember one time that a jig has failed in the past three years, and that includes my sons as well.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #37 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:07 AM »
Noticed Northland was selling tungsten jigs now, maybe they have in the past but I never noticed, only had a few colors at Gander in lansing, selling for $2.49. Hooks aren't the fine wire type like Fiska...

(Image removed from quote.)

I got a handful of these. Broke several eyelets off trying to clean the paint out. Never been sold with northland... Buy bentley!!!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline JRmate22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:57 AM »
I bit the bullet last year and bought several bentley's, they are awesome quality. I did notice that the eyelets on the norhtland's were all goobered over with paint. We'll see, bently at 4$ a pop are stil tough to justify.
"He, careful man, there's a beverage here"

Offline eboll

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Oct 30, 2011, 02:28 PM »
I bought a bunch of fiskas last year. I caught hundreds of 'gills on them. I haven't had a problem yet. I just ordered some Bentley Customs; we will see how those work. I got them for around $3.45 a piece, but shipping and handling was free.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 30, 2011, 03:09 PM »
its a bummer, they have gone downhill but what can you do?

Offline raisinrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Oct 31, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Umm Sportsman's Direct Heavy Metal tungsten jigs already have the eyes cleaned out of them and the quality is one of if not they highest out there. O yea and they cost less then those Bentley ones and look better also. All for just 2.19 to 2.69 depending on paint job and size.

Offline eboll

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Oct 31, 2011, 11:36 AM »
I might have to order some of those Heavy Metal jigs. They have gold and nickel colors available, unlike Bentley's Custom jigs. I wish they had copper, though.

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Oct 31, 2011, 02:42 PM »
I might have to order some of those Heavy Metal jigs. They have gold and nickel colors available, unlike Bentley's Custom jigs. I wish they had copper, though.
     Fiskas does make a copper color-with red bead

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Oct 31, 2011, 05:26 PM »
 Was at Gander Mountain today and saw Northland has a new tungsten jig out 50 cents cheaper than fiskas.  i picked a couple up.

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:48 AM »
I think fiskas has dropped the ball. I no longer use them due to quality concerns. I still have a bunch and will use them. There are a number of good jigs out there now and I will spend my dollars on quality control.

Offline crosscobra

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Give em the beans
« Reply #46 on: Nov 01, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Thanks incog, I went today and picked up a few in the smaller size.
"Huddle round the shanty momma, Put a good buzz on!"

Offline eboll

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Nov 01, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Raisinrat, what size do you recommend for the Heavy Metal jigs? I typically use a 4mm fiska, so I was just wondering if you could compare that size to a Heavy Metal. I fish for 'gills mostly. I just got my Bentleys. They look good, but I wish that I had ordered a bigger size.

Offline tight_lines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:06 PM »
I just ordered some of the 4mm heavy metal epoxy ones from sportsmen's direct.  I primarily use the 4mm epoxy fiskas so I can tell you the difference if any in between the sizes and quality once I get them in a couple days.

Offline eboll

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Nov 01, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Thanks, tight_lines. The size of a Bentley extra small is roughly equivalent to a 2.5 mm Fiska. I am guessing a large Bentley would be close to a 4mm Fiska. Just doing some rough numbers, a 4mm Heavy Metal should be halfway between a 3mm and 4mm Fiska.

Offline raisinrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Raisinrat, what size do you recommend for the Heavy Metal jigs? I typically use a 4mm fiska, so I was just wondering if you could compare that size to a Heavy Metal. I fish for 'gills mostly. I just got my Bentleys. They look good, but I wish that I had ordered a bigger size.

If your looking at the profile of the jig they are comparable, weight wise I would say SD's Epoxies weights a little more in my hand then the Your Bobbers down I have in my box.I have yet to put them on scale but to do that the right way you have to have a blank jig with not paint , plating or epoxy on it.

Offline tight_lines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Nov 04, 2011, 04:46 PM »
The 4mm heavy metal epoxy ones from sportmans direct are a smidge bigger than the 4mm fiskas. Also feel a bit heavier. The quality looks real good and I can't wait to try them out!

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 04, 2011, 04:48 PM »

for the money, the sportsmandirect seem to be the best bargain, i havent fished with them yet to attest to durability.The Bentley by far are the nicest looking ones, but they are the MOST expensive also.  The bentley run a little small, i would say the extra small bentely is between a 2.5-3mm fiska, and the small is a tad bigger than a 3mm fiska.  I can say that sportsmandirect and bentley have superfast shipping. The northlands by far are the cheapest looking ones and the cheapest to buy, but im sure the fish will not mind. They seem to be a little smaller than the fiska's size wise when comparing their small med large to 3,4,5s.

Offline eboll

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Nov 04, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Thanks, revpilot. That was a very helpful post. What type of knot do you guys use for those? I have always used a palomar, since it is the strongest. Fiskas recommends a double surgeons (loop) knot. Is there a big difference in action between the two?

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:17 AM »
  i usually fish 8-16fow and use the 3mm fiskas. I have not encountered the problems with these jigs as others have stated. Until I do, I wont use anything else but fiskas.

Offline raisinrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:55 AM »
Thanks, revpilot. That was a very helpful post. What type of knot do you guys use for those? I have always used a palomar, since it is the strongest. Fiskas recommends a double surgeons (loop) knot. Is there a big difference in action between the two?

Here is a link to a TV shot I did last winter .I explain in the beginning what that does for you.It was a really tough bite that day never really got any giant gills.Let it load little once it starts to play it is a HD video.It was all one take stuff and I still not totally comfortable in front of the camera but I'm working on it lol.

http://vimeo.com/20744902

Offline Incogneato

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 06, 2011, 12:59 PM »
  Great video.

Offline Ice Sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I would have waited.......
« Reply #57 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:33 PM »