The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cross Creek  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Petros

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cross Creek
« on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:35 AM »
Anyone tried fishing the deep water for walleye? Was thinking about trying to access by West Middletown. Any info appreciated.

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
Re: Cross Creek
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:48 AM »
Have not tried and I have not seen anyone out that way yet, but there are area's where one cannot see unless you are there. Not sure how thick ice is over there but if you go please update us. Tightlines and be safe..
Ron

Offline JADYNWIZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:22 AM »
Tried it this year and last year.   No EYES.    Some bass though.

Offline eyeassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2011, 12:37 PM »
i caught a couple last year down in the deep water setting tip ups at different depths, they are there and they are nice but you have to work for them and even then it is tough
PRU

Offline Petros

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I have been catching gills and some crappie within site of the boat launch but, that bite is drying up. Think I'm gonna give the deeper water a look see.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2011, 03:03 PM »
anyone going to be on the lake monday hate drivin there and turning around

i wont go out unless theres othwer people that

Its a saftey thing with me

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Slider,

I may be there in the afternoon. PM me and I will let you know. Tightlines. Ron
Ron

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:18 PM »
I was thinkin Tuesday.. A little warmer in the am.. John
A great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!  Lookee there....I got a bite!!

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:20 PM »
I was thinkin Tuesday.. A little warmer in the am.. John
John, it was very comfortable out there this afternoon.
Ron

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:36 PM »
Go ahead Ron and rub it in!! ;D  John

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2011, 06:59 AM »
Go ahead Ron and rub it in!! ;D  John

John, I have to when I can ;D
Ron

Offline eyeassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:48 PM »
i will be out this weekend and i am going to try down by the dam i think on sunday.  i am taking my 4yr old sat. so i will stay close and target gills but sunday daddy is by himself and and looking for some eyes and crappie. and by eyes i will take either saugeye or walleye
PRU

Offline eyeassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:03 PM »
after doing some reading i found out that they stocked 9500 walleye fingerlings last yr into cross creek
PRU

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:31 PM »
after doing some reading i found out that they stocked 9500 walleye fingerlings last yr into cross creek
where at is cross creek?

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I have only ever caught Saugeyes there! Last year i got a 6.5 lb and a 4.05lb down off the bar.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline eyeassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:10 PM »
cross creek is about 17.5 miles from I 79 at the bridgeville exit. you get on 50 going towards west and keep going you will see the sign on the left side saying cross creek county park
PRU

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:23 PM »
cross creek is about 17.5 miles from I 79 at the bridgeville exit. you get on 50 going towards west and keep going you will see the sign on the left side saying cross creek county park
Thank you.

Offline Lennyscards

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 10lb citation Walleye...caught in Ohio??
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:41 AM »
I'm thinking about going to Cross creek instead of Lake Arthur for my next trip. I've fished CC from my boat many times but never hard water. The Saugeye population there is supposed to be through the roof from what the Fish Commish says on their website (survey they did a few years ago showed that 80% of the saug's they trapped were 20+ inches!)

I would love to hear any tips that you guys might have. Do I have to get down by the dam to have a shot at these saug's? Where is the 60ft areas on the lake? Does the bait shop at CC sell hydrographic maps? Is the ice solid down the middle or do I have to watch for any warm springs running in? etc, etc, etc.

I'm not asking someone to give me GPS coordinates to their "honey hole" or anything...just some general tips on where I should be for them 'eyes.

Offline Lennyscards

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:45 AM »
For those that have not seen this, informative article on Cross creek. Seems that the Saugeye do better than the Wallys in this lake. Check it out...

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2007/8x07_12cross.htm

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Lennyscards, I have not heard of anyone getting into the sauger yet, still looking myself. i will share any info once I have success. Tightlines. Ron
Ron

Offline eyeassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:02 PM »
i have a decent idea on where they are at, but due to being sick as a dog i was not able to get out this weekend and target them we will see what next weekend holds
PRU

Offline Lennyscards

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I'm giving Lake Arthur one more try this Saturday morning.

Next Saturday tho (unless I get into a crapload of eyes this weekend @ Arthur) I'm gonna try Cross Creek. I got a tip on where I can get an official topo map of Cross Creek and I should have it by next week. Very detailed with onfo on where they put in rock piles from the guy that put the rock piles in...lemme know if you're going saturday and maybe we can get together and find them.

The rock piles are down by the access by West Middletown...how far a walk to the ice from there?

Methinks that might be the spot.

Offline eyeassassin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:28 AM »
i have that same map and from where you park in westmiddle town it is probably no more than 400 yards the problem is that one the way from your car to the lake it is down hill so you know what that means when you leave :o
PRU

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:02 PM »
The maps provided by the state pretty much tell you where the attractors are, along with the gps locations. You can down load them from the state. As for the spring holes, I have come across many around the lake (middle, sides etc..) Several I could put my hand down the hole, this was during our 10 day cold weather snap when ice was 5-7". Just be carefull.  Also, I know where the rock piles are you write of and have not had any success there yet but this is not to say it wasn't just a bad day to fish there. Tightlines. Ron
Ron

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:14 PM »
I'm giving Lake Arthur one more try this Saturday morning.

Next Saturday tho (unless I get into a crapload of eyes this weekend @ Arthur) I'm gonna try Cross Creek. I got a tip on where I can get an official topo map of Cross Creek and I should have it by next week. Very detailed with onfo on where they put in rock piles from the guy that put the rock piles in...lemme know if you're going saturday and maybe we can get together and find them.

The rock piles are down by the access by West Middletown...how far a walk to the ice from there?

Methinks that might be the spot.
anyone look for eyes in the shallow weeds at dawn and dusk ? at arthur the locals where out late and early then home to bed the story   ::) :o :) the sled was full of walleye on the way outta shannon 700 amish barely dawn was set up in the channels ie the 422 to moraine point just a thought
GOD bless
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline JADYNWIZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:34 PM »

I also have and thought that the same Maps would put us on stucture and thus on fish.  Not the case.   This season and last good serious efforts have been put in trying to Ice a Saugeye or Walleye out in the West Middletown area.  Not one.   We have boated two really nice ones Crappie fishin in the spring there in the last 15 to 20 years but none thru the ice.

I have had one decent day there on Gills and a few small Lagemouth but nothing to get all excited about but thats fishin.

Last season late ice my buddy did have on really big bass (Giant) on a TU and shiner up to the hole right out on the road bed where it meets the lake in about 6 ft of water but it broke the 6lb fluro before we could get it out the hole.   So if anyone catches a Monster Bass with a six foot piece of Fluro hangin out its mouth let me know how big it actually is.

Keep on Plugging its a big deep lake that has only been Iced for two seasons now and you just never know what you may find on any given outting.

Offline Lennyscards

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:37 PM »
anyone look for eyes in the shallow weeds at dawn and dusk ? at arthur the locals where out late and early then home to bed the story   ::) :o :) the sled was full of walleye on the way outta shannon 700 amish barely dawn was set up in the channels ie the 422 to moraine point just a thought
GOD bless
mo

Not sure where you mean 1MO, were they fishing the shannon creek area or up by 422???

I get to LA by 5:30am and have shallow holes drilled and filled about 1 1/2 hours before sunset...in the shallows with no bites. Maybe I answered my question in another post...the best time I've ever fished walleyes is trolling crankbaits in the shallows before sundown...1 or 2 hours before sunset until 1 or 2 after.

Maybe that's what I'm missing...instead of fishing early, maybe I should be getting there at 4pm and fish till 8pm?? Can't fish those hours at Cross creek tho. :%$#!:

Offline JADYNWIZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:56 AM »
Lenny you can fish those hours you just cant enter thru the main gate.

Offline Lennyscards

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:01 AM »
Didn't know that. Thought the park was closed period.

Sounds like a plan. Night fishin for eyes...sweet.

Offline jmh58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Didn't know that. Thought the park was closed period.

Sounds like a plan. Night fishin for eyes...sweet.
  I open water fish there..  I know that it is fished at nite for crappie by the old ashes from nite fires..  Also talked to a few guys about it..  John ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.