Author Topic: West End of Loughborough  (Read 4404 times)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
West End of Loughborough
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 06:16 PM »
It has been iced over for about 4 days now, no where near ready but wondering with the -10 overnight forecasted all week how long before it will be good to go?  The laker grounds on Loughborough is the one stretch of water I have heard more horror stories about in the kingston area so I don't want to be the first one out there but thinking of spuding my way out on saturday to check the ice thickness.
@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: West End of Loughborough
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:29 PM »
JZ - be careful!  Maybe don't venture out alone, I've heard stories too.  I am eager to get out to the deeper end of louborough as well - never caught a lake trout, I'm going to wait untill it's had a better chance to ice up.

let us know how the ice is if you go out

stay ontop! ;)
Tight lines

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:01 PM »
Ya I have mentioned this on a couple other boards and the concensus seems to be wait another week so I might do just that.  If I do go out, or if I see others out there, I will post a report.
@jzuliniak

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Well the -22 temps last night must have made some people brave because I saw a few people out on the west end today as I was coming home from work.  Provided I don't hear any missing persons report on the news tonight I will be checking it out for myself tomorrow.
@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2011, 03:29 PM »
JZ - good luck & tight lines...
Tight lines

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Hmmm got a report off of another board 3" of black ice 1 inch of white, didnt mention how deep they got out. Might have to change my plans not sure I want to go out on Loughborough on 3" of good ice.
@jzuliniak

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:41 PM »
Went out for about an hour and a half today, ice was sketchy close to shore but got better as I got to deeper water for some reason, ice varied from 4inch of white slushy stuff to  6inch half black half white.  Becareful going out I was slamming my spud down on every step.
Anyway I set up in 51fow and marked lots of fish, mostly on the bottom.  Could get them to come up and even chase the traditional laker lures, big spoons, airplane jig, tubes (all three tipped w small gulp minnow) but couldnt get them to hit, so I downsized and same result, they would come take a look but not hit.  So I really downsized and put a 2inch jigrap type bait tipped with a gulp maggot, and thats what did it, got them to hit the small offering went 1 for 2.  Like I said marked lots of fish but getting them to hit was tough, a few other people out there today and it looks like everyone got fish.
Just a little guy, 21inch 3lbs but should be a good eater.

@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:51 PM »
JZ

looks delicious ;D ;D - thanks for the report, and nice pics.

tight lines...
Tight lines

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:47 PM »
Nice job, I have lived in Kingston for 6 years and have yet to fish loughborough, i gotta get out there

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:52 PM »
So looking forward to getting out there, great report.

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2011, 01:15 AM »
Seeing as I'm  newbee can anyone suggest what I can use for tackle? I've read some of the posts and traditional laker lures were mentioned, what are they. Sorry I'm from the east coast and trout are trout and love worms...lol Any help would be welcomed. Thank you Tim

Offline jimmay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2011, 07:24 AM »
Frozen whole smelt.  We used to get them from the grocery store across from Rona on Princess St. but I am unsure if the new store still carries them.

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:23 AM »
Went out for about an hour and a half today, ice was sketchy close to shore but got better as I got to deeper water for some reason, ice varied from 4inch of white slushy stuff to  6inch half black half white.  Becareful going out I was slamming my spud down on every step.
Anyway I set up in 51fow and marked lots of fish, mostly on the bottom.  Could get them to come up and even chase the traditional laker lures, big spoons, airplane jig, tubes (all three tipped w small gulp minnow) but couldnt get them to hit, so I downsized and same result, they would come take a look but not hit.  So I really downsized and put a 2inch jigrap type bait tipped with a gulp maggot, and thats what did it, got them to hit the small offering went 1 for 2.  Like I said marked lots of fish but getting them to hit was tough, a few other people out there today and it looks like everyone got fish.
Just a little guy, 21inch 3lbs but should be a good eater.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Hey JZ....great stuff...keep changing up till they hit!

Bet supper was good eh?

Thanks for posting.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:56 PM »
Back out this morning for a couple of hours, lots of people probably around 40 by the time I was leaving the ice at 9:00, (everyone was getting fish) Set up in 49 fow just because I was too lazy to walk out any further, marked fished right away, got a couple to bite, went one for two, had lots of others chase but not take.  The 3 or 4 times I have been out on Loughborough this year that seems to be the situation, lots of fish but tough to get them to commit,  White tube was what got both bites.  Wasn't planning on keeping any but this guy was hooked bad so I took him home.  Chunky little laker which is nice to see on Loughborough, perhaps the baitfish population is on the rebound.
@jzuliniak

Offline Canadian wigeon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 5 more minutes and will call it a day
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:30 PM »
nice laker, good to see one with some size, most lakers I have caught out of there look like eel with trout heads!!!

Big Gaff Pro-staff

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:51 PM »
nice laker, good to see one with some size, most lakers I have caught out of there look like eel with trout heads!!!

ya I have seem some skinny lakers, this guy was still only a little over 3lbs but it was well proportioned.  I had read that the MNR have reduced the stocking last year dramatically (by 50%) and will only be stocking every other year going forward in Lougborough, this will reduce the population but the remaining fish will be bigger and healthy and who knows maybe that will lead to some natural reproduction.  Also heard they are considering stocking whitefish there, that would be awesome and might reduce the fishing pressure on the lakers as well.
@jzuliniak

Offline bobbyz04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:00 PM »
I found a spud bar there last week, anyone loose one ? ;D

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:11 PM »
I found a spud bar there last week, anyone loose one ? ;D

funny, just remember to bring it to simcoe next week or you will be walking out first.
@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:18 PM »
Frozen whole smelt.  We used to get them from the grocery store across from Rona on Princess St. but I am unsure if the new store still carries them.
i tried a few different stores this weekend, no smelt.  where can I find some?
Tight lines

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:38 PM »
i tried a few different stores this weekend, no smelt.  where can I find some?
To be honest I am not sure what most people use for bait on Loughborough for set lines, I usually just jig but what I can tell you is that today a number of times I put my rod in the holder to rig another rod or play with the sonar and fish have come charging at it, and that was just a plain white tube with a little berkley scent so you can probably use any dead or live minnows you can find at a baitshop or CT.  The baitfish I have seen the lakers spit up have all been small 2-3" range.
@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:22 AM »
JZ - good to know...still can't find smelt, guess I'll try with minnows....hoping to get out this weekend, depending on how this big storm goes...little worried about that much snow on the ice (i walk).
Tight lines

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Hey I walk out as well and even if there is a foot of snow it doesnt matter because from the launch to where you can get fish is about 200 meters, you can go out further of course but I havent gone out more than2- 300 meters and I have hit 45-53fow each time and marked tons of fish.
@jzuliniak

Offline VEXSLAYER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • laying slabs on ice since 1996
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:51 PM »
a lot of guys over think trout fishing!!! when they are on all you need is a champ or spoon or white tube they are agressive fish and will hit almost any bait bare when they are on the bite, off the bite a minnow added to ur jig will help but the lock jaw trout are tough!!!!! I find lakers outta lobo taste soft and greasy!!!!! but still fun to catch
Proud member of

BIG GAFF PROSTAFF
Hook'em N Cook'em Outdoors
Gongshow Outfitters

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Most of the fish I cleaned had 4-7 inch smelts in them - rarely anything smaller. Fish were tough on Monday, I had to work them but still managed several hook-ups. I fish somewhat deeper then most guys there. There were about 6 guys on the ice in the morning. They left early though. Fish turned on for about 1/2 hour around 2:30. It was cold but no wind
 I find they taste great, just don't keep anything over 4lbs, flesh is usually orange or pink - bleed them as soon as you catch one you're going to keep - makes huge difference on the plate!

Offline VEXSLAYER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • laying slabs on ice since 1996
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2011, 10:54 PM »
the small ones may taste ok, but trout out of any other lake around tatse way better!! it is prolly due to the smelts, and the strain of trout they stock in lobo
im not saying they taste bad and are unedible but trout out of buck, devil, upper rock and dog lake are all better eating fish!!! none of those lakes contain smelts or stocked lakers

Proud member of

BIG GAFF PROSTAFF
Hook'em N Cook'em Outdoors
Gongshow Outfitters

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:52 AM »
- bleed them as soon as you catch one you're going to keep - makes huge difference on the plate!

I am new to filleting fish - started this summer...got the bass fillets down, done a few walleye's too.  I usuaully just fillet them from whole, very easy.  Down the spine, scrape over the ribs - I'm sure you're all familiar with this approach.  Recently, someone decapitated, gutted, and "bled" a splake for me on the ice so I could take it home an fillet it later.  Well...the only way I know how to fillet doesn't work that well without the belly/head to stabilize fish while trying to remove fillets (got kinda sloppy with it).

Is there a different method for filleting a fish that's had the head/guts removed?

Tight lines

Offline c5Fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:34 PM »
if you are haveing trouble use an electric knife to take the fillets off, then finese out the ribcage with a fillet knife.. on large fish once this is done there will still be a row of bones that kinda stand stright up right at the palce where the ribs started.. just cut a long narrow v.. almost splits the fillet and remove as you skin.. lots of different ways all it is is practice.. bleeding fresh caught fish is important IMO... good luck keep catching!

Offline Mav

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:51 PM »
With trout, I gut them, take their heads off, cut out the stomach fat then rinse them. After that, some salt and pepper, maybe a few lemon slices or peppers inside, then wrap them in foil and on the BBQ they go. Works best with bigger fish but once they are cooked, the bones fall out.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:50 AM »
With trout, I gut them, take their heads off, cut out the stomach fat then rinse them. After that, some salt and pepper, maybe a few lemon slices or peppers inside, then wrap them in foil and on the BBQ they go. Works best with bigger fish but once they are cooked, the bones fall out.

hmm...that probably would've been much easier than my butcher-job...it was quite a small fish to begin with

thanks for the tips
Tight lines

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:59 AM »
white tube they are agressive fish and will hit almost any bait bare when they are on the bite,
so...a large tube?  I'm heading out to get some, just wondering what size?  I would think if they're eating 4-7" smelt, a 4-7" tube would do it?
Tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.