Author Topic: West End of Loughborough  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Craig17dt

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: West End of Loughborough
« Reply #30 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:32 PM »
I find the lakers on Loughborough like the large golden shiners alot. Thats my bait of choice on a still line. With a 4 in white YUM Tube as my jigging rig!

Offline Burnseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:32 AM »
hmm...that probably would've been much easier than my butcher-job...it was quite a small fish to begin with

thanks for the tips
  : ;D What I do with small splake is I cut the belly open and push the guts out, then behind the anus I cut it to the tail right in the middle then I wash it out using my thumb to be sure to get all the dark blood outta the spine cavity when there is no dark spots left. the has already been removed I mix some salt pepper a little touch of cayenne pepper just a touch .then a little bit of extra virgin olive oil in a bowl dip 2 fingers in rub it all over the fish use the season litely though you don't want to over power it pre heat the over to 400 deg and put them in for 20 to 25minutes check on it because you don't want to dry it out totally.   or you can do the same thing in a cast iron pan. keep the skin and bone in place. Now to take out the bone use you fork and thumb to pull the back bone out using steady even pressure to get it out slitely wiggle if needed. And All the Bones come out nicely.  :o And the skin is edible Yes it is! :o  2 years ago You couldn't put a fish like this in front of me without turning me off. But tried it and love it. bigger ones can be filleted.  Trust me we have done 30 splake this year and they have all been orange flesh fish!!! :icefish:

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 05, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Hey guys,

Silly question, when everyone is referring to the West end of Loughborough, is it the Division St. side (sort of West - West of Montreal of course) or the Sydenham Rd. Side? Either way, just so I'm sure as my brother and I are hoping to hit it soon for some fun with Lakers!  What's the best way to get out there?

Many thanks and staff safe everyone!
Andrew

Offline Doglake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Division street bridge divides the two major basins of Loughborough. From Division, east toward Battersea, the lake is shallower (<30 ft) and is generally fished for largemouth & pike. The west basin, from Division west to Sydenham Rd, is much deeper (30 to 100 +) and is generally fished for lakers and smallmouth.  I think most folks walk out from the west end of the west basin, off of Sydenham Rd. for the lakers.

Good Luck.

Bruce

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:12 PM »
Hey guys,

Silly question, when everyone is referring to the West end of Loughborough, is it the Division St. side (sort of West - West of Montreal of course) or the Sydenham Rd. Side? Either way, just so I'm sure as my brother and I are hoping to hit it soon for some fun with Lakers!  What's the best way to get out there?

Many thanks and staff safe everyone!
Andrew
head north from kingston on sydenham rd, turn right on Loughborough Lake Road (that's the 'kepler area', there's public boat launch and parking, easy walk-out (slushy though). you'll be in the west end of the lake, deeper - holds lake trout for sure.  you'll find 30-115 fow (or more, not sure).  I ice fished this lake for the first time this afternoon, got skunked...but I saw lots of blood on the ice, and other signs the fish are there....I just didn't find 'em.  I heard white tube jigs, and silver wobblers with smelt were working good.

good luck out there
Tight lines

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:21 PM »
Thanks DL!

As I said we're hoping to get out there within the next week. I'll definitely let you know how we do / or even better when we're going as anyone is welcomed to join us!

Take care,
Andrew

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 05, 2011, 07:39 PM »
I wouldn't mind joining you...can't get out there 'till around 4 on weeknights tho. PM me if you want to get out this week

thinking about a morning fish on verona lake....any takers?
Tight lines

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:43 AM »
Hey DL,

You bet! Not sure about getting out there this week but if I do I'll definitely send you a PM!

-Andrew

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:58 PM »

caught on sunday 23" laker only bite I got all day had to downsize my bait to get it to bite and it was at 2:30 after we had fished all morning
SEOO

Offline 1fishinator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:08 AM »
Nice fish  :clap:.....what did you downsize your bait too? Just curious because we fished all day Saturday and caught ZERO!! But we had lots of fun...minus driving over 4 hours in white-out conditions to get home :%$#!:

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:44 AM »
a jigging shad rap
SEOO

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 10, 2011, 01:13 PM »
a jigging shad rap

nicely done seoo ;D - how deep were you when you picked up that beauty? 
Tight lines

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 10, 2011, 08:07 PM »
I'm guessing about 80 FOW although I'm fishing the old fashion way (without electronics) so that is just a guess we drilled a few holes around us and tried moving but i caught this one after i went back in the hut to jig in some warmer conditions

after that i went and bought a pile of  jigging shad raps and off brand knockoffs as i hear they are producing walleye on the bay of quinte too and i fish there more then anywhere else
SEOO

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Hey guys,

Laker2011 and I finally made it out to the West end for the first time ever on Sunday. It was a last minute thing so we apologise for not throwing the invite out there to everyone...maybe it was a good thing as we marked about 5 fish but no takers. Also spoke to another guy out there and he said he was using smelt and had been there all day with no bites either. Slow day but fun to hit the ice out there for the first time! :)

Thanks for the info guys and stay safe!
-Andrew

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:20 AM »
how was the ice on Sunday?  I want to get back out there soon...but I'm pretty worried about this warm snap and the rain ruining the ice.  ???
Tight lines

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 16, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Everywhere we drilled it was fine and there were plenty of 4 wheelers out there so it's good and thick...although I'd be worried about the mild temps over the next few days but I'm sure it'll be good to go by next week (assuming it gets as cold as they say it's going to after this week).

Either way take my advice with a grain of salt as I'm still very green when it comes to ice fishing and only fished Loughborough once so be safe!!! :)

-Andrew

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 18, 2011, 01:48 PM »
thanks Andrew

Well, I'm heading to loughborough in the morning.  Anyone have a bite or ice report for me?  I've been a few times with nothing to show...gonna keep drillin' untill I find them.  Any advice on bait, location, etc would be really helpful.

stay dry guys!
Tight lines

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2011, 03:37 PM »
thanks Andrew

Well, I'm heading to loughborough in the morning.  Anyone have a bite or ice report for me?  I've been a few times with nothing to show...gonna keep drillin' untill I find them.  Any advice on bait, location, etc would be really helpful.

stay dry guys!

Everytime I have been on Lobo this year I have marked tons of fish and I really havent searched, just set up in 45-55fow and sat there. Now getting them to hit is another story usually get 5 or 6 chasers for everyone that hits. White tubes 3" and med size jigging raps have worked best for me. Do you use electronics? if not you might want to use a set line a few feet off the bottom with a minnow live or dead.
@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:38 PM »
JZ - thanks for the tips.  No, sadly I have no electronics  :(
i'm thinking that'd be a good investment though, sure helps in the summer!
hope to see you out there tommorow morning...
Tight lines

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:31 PM »
I am hitting Loughborough Thursday morning, stop by and say hi if you are out there. I will be in a red floater suit a few hundred meters out from the launch.
@jzuliniak

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Had a good morning on lougborough went 3 for 4 in 2hrs. Set up in 55fow and marked some fish on the bottom but they werent aggressive so I worked 20-35fow over 55 and got all my fish at that depth. The fish at this depth were obviously there for one reason, to feed.  Very hard hits and they took the lures deep.  Got the 3 fish on 3 different lures, white tube, clear slurpie tube, jigging shad rap.  The two I kept were 3lb 1oz and 4lb 1oz and the one I let go was probably around 3 as well. All the fish looked healthy and I marked lots of baitfish which is a good sign for lougborough.

@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:35 PM »
man....nice fish!  I wish I could've gotten out there today, but alas, I'm stuck at work  :'(  I might just have to play hookey to get into those weekday fish - you're success is inspiring me to get back out there....haven't picked up anything on Louborough yet ???

good report, thanks for the tips on lures and depth...I have no electronics (yet), so I need all the help I can get!
Tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.