New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: why don't women understand?  (Read 4955 times)

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
why don't women understand?
« on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:58 AM »
My GF is always yelling at me because i would rather restring a pole or do anything with fishing then hang out with her and watch tv.  Then when the weekend comes along i go fishing but momma's not happy.  Do any fellow hard water addicts have this problem?

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: why don't women understand?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:01 AM »
She's not the right girl  ;)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:02 AM »
GET OUT NOW..... ;D ;) ;D ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:04 AM »
I warned her what I did before we got married, and she actually likes fishing too!!!   But for a great relationship you have to do what she wants to do too!!! :-*  You'll get a little less complaining this way!!! ;)

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:11 AM »
2 things you can do with this situation, first one is "RUN FOREST RUN!!!!". Second one is give mamma cakes some good quality time the night before, she will never hear you leave the next morning lmfao.

cny

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:20 AM »
ohh no.  she has me on radar there is no sneaking away from her.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:24 AM »
If replacement is not an option then get her into fishing as was suggested. Take her to the store(s) with you. Let her pick out her own outfit(s), lures, and such. Get her some decent clothes and boots and things should improve. Once she sees fishing gear/tackle like jewelry things may change. But as maine pointed out, it is definitely a give and take thing. As they say, if momma isn't happy, ain't nobody happy.

p.s. if you do get her into it, buy another flasher/finder. Once I showed fishingirlpa how to use mine we fight over who is going to use it  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:26 AM »
Belive me, take the run like hell advise. Before i got married i left many in my dust if they gave me any grief about hunting or fishing. Find someone who cares about who you are and what you do. You'll be more happier. Good luck.

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:26 AM »
I have the opposite situation.  My wife will nag me until I go fishing/hunting so that she can go into work (1st grade teacher) and do whatever she does at the school.  I just had to listen to this on sunday "what are you going to do, sit around the house all day?  You might as well go sit out in the shanty and fish".  And she is 6 months pregneant with my soon to be new fishing partner.

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:30 AM »
Just remember, she's currently on her best behavior ! If it's that tough currently, it's only gonna get worse once she has you contractually obligated to hang out with her !!
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:35 AM »
Belive me, take the run like hell advise. Before i got married i left many in my dust if they gave me any grief about hunting or fishing. Find someone who cares about who you are and what you do. You'll be more happier. Good luck.
Well said. I went through a miserable few years of my life because of a bad relationship. I've got a good one now. At least most of the time. ::) Just remember you have to give a little to get a little sometimes. Cheeks out!!! @)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:42 AM »
Well said. I went through a miserable few years of my life because of a bad relationship. I've got a good one now. At least most of the time. ::) Just remember you have to give a little to get a little sometimes. Cheeks out!!! @)

Foot rubs seem to work.... ;D ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:48 AM »
I AGREE. Get her some gear and get her out there with you. Or string your rods during commercials.
wood is good

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:00 AM »
My GF is always yelling at me because i would rather restring a pole or do anything with fishing then hang out with her and watch tv.  Then when the weekend comes along i go fishing but momma's not happy.  Do any fellow hard water addicts have this problem?

You gotta to either get her interested in ice fishing or find another girl who is. I'm lucky my wife loves icefishing.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline goosehonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:09 AM »
My wife begs me to go ice fishing on the weekends!  She loves it.  I have spoiled her with her own gear, good boots, and clothing...  It was a good excuse to buy a shanty too!  Oh, many tip-up suppliers now sell them in PINK...

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:13 AM »
My wife begs me to go ice fishing on the weekends!  She loves it.  I have spoiled her with her own gear, good boots, and clothing...  It was a good excuse to buy a shanty too!  Oh, many tip-up suppliers now sell them in PINK...
thats how my GF is for open water slowly working her into ice fishing but hey its a give and take eventually I will get her out and she will be hooked more than she is on open water
It's close

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:24 AM »
you need to use reverse phsycology young man. You go everywhere and anywhere with her whether it be shopping, running an errand, dropping in on her friends with her and eventually she will enjoy you doing your things!  I am a very lucky man as my wife never complains of my hunting and fishing! 

Offline nonamers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:40 AM »
sometimes we get what we ask for. what is her mother and father like. most times the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. tell her if she wants to spend time with you get a fishing license. i always knew that beauty is not only skin deep. you are suppose to be the man of the house and her the lady. tell her not to tell you what to do and you will not tell her what to do. tell her you love her and her attitude could change all of that in time.  go fishing have fun.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Why dont women understand??? Because we dont tell them from day one! Most relationships start in a big lie that snowballs.In the begining we are in that "new puppy" love phase where all we worry about is making them happy so we loose sight of what makes us happy. People need to be honest from day one.
Im engaged to an awesome girl now but I was brutaly honest right away. The first night we spent together I got up at 5am and went bowhunting... She knew that april first started trout season, may was walleye, I had a camp on the Delly, sept was salmon season, october n november was archery and walleyes, then came icefishing, ect, and if this was going to bother her then the door is right over there! Sure relationships are about comprimise but its not my job to make the other person happy at the cost of who I am...
I have been in some bad relationships that both parties thought the other would change. Small things change and thats it, ie - put the seat down, dont fart at the table...
Good luck!

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:02 AM »
Can't wait for the divorce to be final.  The living room currently looks like a sporting goods store exploded, and the dog couldn't care less.  I mean a real dog, with 4 legs, that barks.

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:07 AM »
It's all about balance young grasshopper  ;)

My wife wants nothing to do with fishing, so getting her into the sport is not an option.

But the wife and i have a great plan that has worked for years ...

Since i have weekends only off we split the days, one day i go fishing all day and i spend the other day with her. Even then i sometimes i go both days but limit 1 of the days to early am trip, home by noon and mama is happy ... and if mama is happy, everybody is happy ;D LOL

On holiday/long weekends i usually get out twice.
I get out almost every weekend through the entire year.

She knows it's a sickness and i find peace doing it ... and that i'm not out screwing around or just getting drunk with the guys.

Now come Striper season, my biggest passion (and she knows it) i barely see her for those 5 weeks !!!
But even then i suck it up and pull some longgg ass days, fish from 5am-3pm, get home go for motorcylce ride with her and then 2 movies at the drive-ins, home by midnight ... repeat process the next day. But it's all worth it.  @)

If she understands how passionate you are about it she should understand, i'm sure she has things that she really likes to do right ? Do you give her her own time to do here things ?

Give and take is what it's all about !

Now take this pebble from my hand  ;D

My 2-cents
BB
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:27 AM »
Bring her out when it's nice out, and be willing to leave when she wants to. Another good idea is to get her hooked on eating the fish. My girlfriend who "doesn't like fish" was inhaling the perch last weekend ;D. She also likes to fish (and hunt) with me, but not every time, only costs me the use of my FL-18, so I rigged up a second flasher ;). Han to get her a camo bed set for christmas, Realtree AP to match her turkey gear @).

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:41 AM »
My wife knew straight up on our 1st date that hunting and fishing played a huge role in defining who I am.I have since learned to make sacrafices and have balance in my life.I am not a dead-beat dad who blows his kid off to go fish or hunt but we communicate.I let her know when I plan to fish and hunt and its worked out.  A real dbag move would be to leave her alone with a 1 yr old all weekend long at last moment when we both agreed to have a marriage and have kid.I pay my dues by doing tons of chores and spending time with them a lot during the off season also.that's how my marriage works.if she EVER yelled at me for doing what I love when she was my girlfriend it would have been OVER. Especially if we have nothing planned but to sit on the damn couch.she may not understand why I love it but she respects me enough to give me that space. A lot of women have no hobbies no friends and no life and rely on men to babysit them.if thats who she is,get out now!
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:00 AM »
told my wife right from the start I hunt and fish . When we were first married I was gone fishing every chance I got. Now I have Three girls 6,3,2 years old . I still manage to get out sometimes or i would lose my mind. I guess it just comes down to priorities. when my girls get older I don't want them looking for a father figure because I was gone all the time 

Offline brewsta3224

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:02 AM »
LOLOLOL. I love it. @ Superpole- My House looks like they turned Bass Pro upside-down... I once had a gal that loved fresh fish so much, although never liked fishing, and would happily clean my catch once I got home because I had done "the real work" and should relax with a beer while she filleted the catch...get this...@ the kitchen sink!!! How many times you see that?... And I still had to throw it back!! Exceeded the size limit...lol
Fishing and Catching, sometimes, are two completely different sports!

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:06 AM »
LOLOLOL. I love it. @ Superpole- My House looks like they turned Bass Pro upside-down... I once had a gal that loved fresh fish so much, although never liked fishing, and would happily clean my catch once I got home because I had done "the real work" and should relax with a beer while she filleted the catch...get this...@ the kitchen sink!!! How many times you see that?... And I still had to throw it back!! Exceeded the size limit...lol
now that would be nice!!!! ;D
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline WaynefromMaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout and about
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:07 AM »
  Where's she at now !!!
Enjoy the pleasure of others pleasure

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:34 AM »
I'm a lucky so & so. My wife helps me get ready, gives me a big kiss, asks how many days I'll be gone and has a nice meal ready for me when I get back. She has no desire to hunt and fish, she is a home body that likes the peace & quiet when I'm not home. She usually asks if there is anything she can do for me while I'm away (i.e. getting food, gear ready, etc. for the next trip). I always tell her to make sure the boyfriend is gone by the time I get back and to hide the booze bottles from the wild party. Seriously, I'm REALLY lucky. I've got a one in a million wife & I know it. Sorry to brag. I just tell people my wife is insane. Not only has she hung around for 35 years, but SHE PROPOSED!!!

Offline Camogurl20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:03 AM »
Dont worry i understand. I would rather be in the woods or on the water any day then making sure the couch doesnt run away. lol :)
  Ice Fish Baby!! :)

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:04 AM »
Dont worry i understand. I would rather be in the woods or on the water any day then making sure the couch doesnt run away. lol :)

I LOVE it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.