Author Topic: Best Flasher For Lake trout fishing>  (Read 6763 times)

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Flasher For Lake trout fishing>
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:44 AM »
 Im in the market for a new flasher. I mostly fish lake trout once the ice gets thick enough. But I often jig for salmon, brookies, and browns. What would be the best flasher for me. Ive gone to cabelas and played with them a little. They all seemed to be similar. My budget around 400$ but would prefer less. Ive done quite a bit of research on them but can't make up my mind on which.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Best Flasher For Lake trout fishing>
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 03:51 PM »
As long as you're not fishing deeper than 160 feet, the Marcum will do fine.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:41 PM »
If fishing less than 160', then I'd go with the Marcum LX-5.  2500 watts peak to peak power, 3/4" target seperation, very crisp, bright display, a great zoom that is adjustable anywhere in the water column, as well as being able to see the entire water column while in zoom mode, and a dual beam transducer are a few of the features.

If fishing more than 160' of water, I'd be tempted to go with the Lowrance x67c ice machine.  Although the power is only 800 watts peak to peak, they claim it's useable down to 600'.  It can be used both as a flasher as well as having graph mode so it transfers over to a summer fishing tool very easliy.  At a price coming in under $300, it is definately a good value.

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:45 PM »
The lx-5 is a little out of my price range (almost 500$) The lowrance looks nice. Do any of you guys have any experience with any of the hummingbird series? I have good luck with mine in my boat.

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:59 PM »
Don't have any experience with the humminbirds, however I hope to have a 998c si in my boat by the long weekend of May.  Here's a link to a review of one of humminbirds new ice series of sonars.  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=169707.0

Some mixed reviews about the humminbird flashers, but I think more good than bad, and if I remember correctly the bad was about some reliablility issues that may have been worked out.  Would love to have Humminbird flasher and ice series owners chime in and let us know what they think.

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:50 PM »
You'll have to find the flasher that is best for picking up fish that are sitting on the bottom, any of the flashers can register the suspended fish. You may get a more responses if you ask which flasher works best for Walleye. I've had better experiences with my FL-20 than with my X67c, but I'm suspecting that I need a new transducer for my X67. When the X67 is working, I prefer it.
 I have also never fished for Lakers deeper than 60' and never caught one deeper than 40'.

Adam

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:55 PM »
You didnt say how deep are you fishing? Marcum lx-3tc is a great unit for your price range, if you do not need the zoom you can get the vx-1p and use the bottom lock.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:24 PM »
The lx-5 is a little out of my price range (almost 500$) The lowrance looks nice. Do any of you guys have any experience with any of the hummingbird series? I have good luck with mine in my boat.

My cousin has an ice 35 and it worked great in 100+fow last year, we didnt catch anything but it wasnt the flasher's fault thats for sure.  I recently purchased the ice 345c which is the humminbird equivilant to the x67, (can be used ice or open water has graph or flasher mode) the humminbird also has a dual beam transducer.  I have been extremely happy with it the few times I have had it out so far.
@jzuliniak

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:31 PM »
You didnt say how deep are you fishing? Marcum lx-3tc is a great unit for your price range, if you do not need the zoom you can get the vx-1p and use the bottom lock.

Mainly fishing from 30-100ft

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Marcum vx-1p $299, or lx-3tc $399. Check out the features and see which fits you best.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:34 AM »
Well I have been looking at the Lowrance X67c. I like that it doubles as a summer rig. Any one have any other experience with these?

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2011, 05:57 PM »
 @) I have the Vex FL-18, for my money it was the right choice. I will probably never change and do not want to debate which manufacture is best. The Vex, is able to fish deep water and shallow water. One has the ability to read the bottom 6ft of the water column for mud puppies or the whole column, for suppended fish. The first day on the ice you will think you wasted your money, but the more you use it, the more it will tell you. Five Star rating in my book!  :tipup:

Offline D-flag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:33 AM »
I use the Bird 35 and my jig shows in 150 foot.  It's all you need and has the best price tag.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:28 PM »
couple years ago i fished with a guy with a camera for lakers, cheap flasher to find depths, then use the camera, couldnt believe how many hits i was getting and just didnt know it, was so much easier watching for the strike and setting the hook. the camera is a bit of a pain setting up, but you jig with alot more intent when you see your getting strikes that you never felt

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I got an lx 5 towards the end of last season for 259.00 at Cabela's  in the bargain it was a floor model but never really used.
[img]

Offline bearfangary

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Bought an Ice-45 as my Christmas present to myself. Had it out 6 times and so far very happy. Good separation and readout. I'm just figuring it out, but no complaints - BFG

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:58 AM »
Stay away from the Vex. I tried an FL8, then an FL20, both failed when fishing deep water (>80ft). The latency was horrible. Got a hold of Vex, since at the time I did not know any better. They sent me another ducer to use, that did not help either, contacted them again, and they said it was the software and needed to be re-programmed, for deeper water, I asked how come, was told that the units leave the factory programmed for so many feet, since the vast majority are used that way. Deeper water, such as what I was fishing (up to 125ft), required a software mod. I sold the Fl20 and bought an LX-5, problem solved it works great in deeper water.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Well I have been looking at the Lowrance X67c. I like that it doubles as a summer rig. Any one have any other experience with these?

all I'm going to say is give them a hard look ,think you will like what you see , plenty of info on the electronics page but of course it is a lot of the ford ,chevy, dodge thing

here is a pic with several eyes and my jig being the top line with fish in suicidal mode heading up to be come dinner, and it has a flasher mode to

Offline cmbb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Nice pic Filetandrelease!

I also have the x67, works good, never use it in flasher mode.

Question?  Do any professional commercial saltwater fisherman use a flasher? Any fisherman, that I know,  that use electronics for fishing, to make a living. They use a good sonar.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.