Author Topic: Humminbird 385ci Review  (Read 14937 times)

Offline torgesom

• IceShanty Rookie
Humminbird 385ci Review
« on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:18 AM »
I've seen a few questions regarding this unit and finally have time to chime in.  And for full disclosure, no I am not sponsored by nor am I a "pro" for humminbird.  I simply like the unit and it is new and figure someone probably wants to hear about it.

I used my unit 10 days over the holiday break on 2 different lakes.  I would recommend the unit to anyone.  I previously had a Marcum VX-1 and I have to say I prefer the bird much more.  I started using it in the traditional flasher mode which was equivalent to the VX-1.  The nice part about the bird is you can fine tune the depth you are fishing at--i.e. if you are fishing in 21 feet of water, you can put the maximum depth at 21 feet to use the whole flasher dial.  It also has zoom on and 3 different color palletes to use including humminbirds 6 color mode.  Really, I only used the flasher mode for the first day (and off and on to check the battery life).  

The unit, it is much nicer to use in the graph mode.  I put the settings at max scroll speed and manually adjusted the depth to the depth I was fishing at.  I liked the split screen with bottom zoom set at about 2.  This showed the bottom 4-5 feet depending on the depth, but could also zoom down to the bottom 2 feet with 4x zoom.  The unit gives about 4 seconds of history which was nice when playing cards or chatting with friends.  I could glance over and see no action or if there was a fish.  It was also easier to see any fish coming in off the bottom as you have the history to compare to.  I used the unit in up to 30 feet of water without difficulty picking up a jig with a sensitivity (gain) of 6 maximum.  Most of the time I used a gain of 3 or 4.  The unit dramatically improved my catch rate--we were mainly targeting walleye and the occasional gator, but I was also able to jig up tiny perch off the bottom which was fun and also helped improve my use of the machine.  You can also easily tell the size of the fish by the return.  The unit has the same 3 color palletes as with the flasher mode.  For all the LCD bashers--it is real time.  I could detect no delay when moving my jig up or down.

In addition, I also bought the MN Lakemaster chip for the unit.  The chip and GPS were accurate--the GPS could put us on a mark within 5 feet.  The chip also allows you to adjust the depth displayed on the chip.  The first lake I fished was down about 3 feet and the second 4 feet down.  The chip also allows you to highlight a depth.  On the first lake, we found the hot depth to be 15-16 feet and highlighted the entire lake with that depth and looked at the contours to find similar topography which again put us on the fish.  You can also mark spots to come back to next year and label them with the GPS.

LCD--The screen is really nice with many adjustments including brightness, screen background (white black, blue), and color palletes (if you want it to look like a lowrance you can make it look like one).  I did not use the unit outside for any extended period of time--mostly in a house.  The weather was also unseasonably warm compared to last year at this time (40 degrees and rain one day--yuck!).  I experienced no slow down of the screen and it also felt warm to touch while using it.  

Finally battery life--I fished a day and a half before the battery finally ran out.  So it will last about 15 hours or so before charging again.  This was a 7 amp hour battery.  I also had a 9 amp hour battery which obviously lasted longer (2 days).  The soft case is also nice with plenty of storage.  I put 2 tackle boxes, pliers, a small hand held radio, spare line and still had room to put more stuff in.  

Sounds great eh--here are the negatives.  The resolution on the screen could be better (in my opinion it is still better than a flasher).  The base on which the unit sits is not the correct one--it should have a cord wrap for the transducer cord--I have e-mailed and called humminbird and have yet to get the issue resolved.  The screen bottom jumps in zoom occasionally--and I mean occasionally (it happened 2-3 times in my 10 days and only happened when I had a fish bite--pay attention to your rod tip not your electronics!!  This issue resolved when I adjusted the maximum depth manually.  

Overall, I like it better than my old flasher.  The versatility is great and I have yet to explore all of the options and modes on it.  I will be taking it out again this weekend and can take some video (hopefully of catching some fish) for those who are interested.  

Offline jd110tlb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Humminbird 385ci Review
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 02:52 PM »
I would love to see a video on it. I got one this summer for fishing out of my guideboat. I was thinking of getting the ice transducer but i have not yet because i have a vex fl20. I also was thinking of getting a lake chip for it but have not made up my mind on that either.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:00 PM »
I also have the 385ci. Looking forward to your video. Have used mine totally outside for 3 or 4 hours at a time.  No decrease in response. Very cold, but I was in the back yard pond and a tent just seemed silly. Looking forward also to any other tips you may have for settings. My first Ice unit, my second Humminbird. My old unit is 20 years old and still "Hummin". So far I'm really impressed. Color is awesome.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Thanks for the review. I to would love to see a video.

Offline torgesom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:16 PM »
I will definitely make a video and post it.  Hopefully I don't just catch pike which look like a rocket across the screen and hammer the spoons I use (otherwise I won't have time to get my camera out).  One other gripe--the manual sucks.  They give you a disk which basically tells you a minimal amount of info.  There is not too much to the settings that I have used so far, but it definitely has a learning curve--it is definitely not a flasher in that regard, but I assure you it is still a plug and play  ;)

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:39 AM »
Put mine together late last night - can't wait to use it & see your video.
Can you turn the GPS? - Concerned on battery life.....
Santa brought me one also after allot of research and going back & forth
on different flashers.
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Offline torgesom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:15 AM »
If there is a way to turn off the GPS I have yet to find it--unfortunate really.  But in truth, I have had the GPS on and fished with it for a day and a half before draining the battery.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:34 PM »
I called Humminbird Customer Service: The GPS connot be turned off. The view can be obviously, but the receiver marches on. They haven't seen issues with battery life. They recommend that the battery be fully discharged before recharging also to avoid a "memory".
I also asked about the exposed transducer cord, when routing the float and transducer to the rear for stowage. They don't feel it's a problem, but it just doesn't seem right. Asked about unplugging it the transducer cord to store it. They said that would be good and that it takes considerable force to unplug it beause of the locking mechanism. I'm going to try harder to unplug it because I don't like the exposed cord.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:03 PM »
I always thought SLA batteries had no memory effect. I read that they should be recharged after each use and charged every month during the off season. I have been doing this with my ICE55 for two years. The battery life is still good but should I be fully draining the battery before I charge it.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:12 PM »
I always thought SLA batteries had no memory effect. I read that they should be recharged after each use and charged every month during the off season. I have been doing this with my ICE55 for two years. The battery life is still good but should I be fully draining the battery before I charge it.
I'm on my third season with my Ice 55 and have been topping it off after each use also.If anything the battery seems better than it did when new.I charge mine once in the middle of the summer.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:19 PM »
I used my 787 once so far, similar model but made for open water (originally). On mine you can adjust the size of the Real Time Sonar (RTS) in graph mode. That's the bar on the right side that looks like a vertical flasher. Best part is that after getting two transducers and a GPS receiver I can take it on a remote soft water trip, use it ice fishing or plug it into the big boat. I would check yours for the RTS setting and try using it if it has one.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:26 PM »

that is correct the batteries do not have memory, and infact discharging them all the way is not good, recharge after every use for best performance.
@jzuliniak

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Thanks for info on GPS.
Be careful unplugging transducer cord, real tuff to unplug. Hate to leave it exposed running
out the bottom zipper and into the storage pouch -if its exposed it will get hung up. Might try
opening up stitching  in storage pouch & sew in some type of wiring ring.....
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Offline torgesom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:52 AM »
"I used my 787 once so far, similar model but made for open water (originally). On mine you can adjust the size of the Real Time Sonar (RTS) in graph mode. That's the bar on the right side that looks like a vertical flasher. Best part is that after getting two transducers and a GPS receiver
I can take it on a remote soft water trip, use it ice fishing or plug it into the big boat. I would check yours for the RTS setting and try using it if it has one."

The 385 has the same RTS and you can select the size of the window (I use wide)--I use it side by side with the bottom zoom.  Showdown Color +  ;)

Headed out in a few hours--I'm pumped!  ;D :tipup: :icefish:

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:32 PM »

I believe you are correct and Humminbird Customer Service was wrong. It is indeed a Sealed Lead Acid battery and should NOT be deeply discharged before charging and always be topped off after each use, and at least every 6 months during storage.
Thanks for correcting me. Could save my battery.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:38 PM »
I believe you are correct and Humminbird Customer Service was wrong. It is indeed a Sealed Lead Acid battery and should NOT be deeply discharged before charging and always be topped off after each use, and at least every 6 months during storage.
Thanks for correcting me. Could save my battery.

Also don't forget to let it come to room temp before putting it on a charger.  Just my .02
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Thanks!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:23 PM »
Can you tell me what settings were your lights at? ping speed? Seeing any interference issues with other units? Thanks

Offline Ice_Stalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I just bought the unit as well, and I have owned an FL-8 for years.  I agree, this is one awesome unit!  The integrated GPS is great, and the colors and options are great.  I concur with the graph superiority as well. Coming from an 8, I was convinced that flashers were more sensitive and "real time."  I was wrong.  I find the graph to be more sensitive, and it is so much easier to distinguish fish from weeds.  Also, what little interference I experience appears as very slight snow on screen, making it easily ignored, while the flasher "flashed" bands of interference, which can be confusing. In graph mode, you can clearly see size of fish and the way they move.  I am still learning the features, and in graph mode I have only gotten x2 zoom in split screen.  I would like to know how to get x4.  As stated, the manual is a bit of a mystery. 

Cons: battery life is less than my 8.  Also, in water under 8 feet, it sometimes loses the jig because the sensitivity needs to be very minimal.  Al also sometimes lose the jig in deeper water, and need to swirl the transducer a bit and the signal comes back. 

Other than that, this is a very fine unit and for $385 with GPS, Mapping and the additional features it is an excellent unit!
Catch.Reel.Release...R epeat as needed.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:40 PM »
I just bought the unit as well, and I have owned an FL-8 for years.  I agree, this is one awesome unit!  The integrated GPS is great, and the colors and options are great.  I concur with the graph superiority as well. Coming from an 8, I was convinced that flashers were more sensitive and "real time."  I was wrong.  I find the graph to be more sensitive, and it is so much easier to distinguish fish from weeds.  Also, what little interference I experience appears as very slight snow on screen, making it easily ignored, while the flasher "flashed" bands of interference, which can be confusing. In graph mode, you can clearly see size of fish and the way they move.  I am still learning the features, and in graph mode I have only gotten x2 zoom in split screen.  I would like to know how to get x4.  As stated, the manual is a bit of a mystery. 

Cons: battery life is less than my 8.  Also, in water under 8 feet, it sometimes loses the jig because the sensitivity needs to be very minimal.  Al also sometimes lose the jig in deeper water, and need to swirl the transducer a bit and the signal comes back. 

Other than that, this is a very fine unit and for $385 with GPS, Mapping and the additional features it is an excellent unit!

Good buy if you got it for 385.00!

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:19 AM »
  I am still learning the features, and in graph mode I have only gotten x2 zoom in split screen.  I would like to know how to get x4.  As stated, the manual is a bit of a mystery. 

When you see the 2x in the corner, push the +zoom button. Then -zoom to go back. To me 2 was better, 4 was just more highly pixelated, not more data.

Offline Ice_Stalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2011, 11:45 AM »
cool thanks! I got it at Amazon the day before black friday!
Catch.Reel.Release...R epeat as needed.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Does Reeds Family Outfitters sell refurbished stuff? I bought mine prolly a week before xmas on eBay through their store. Got a SUPER deal on it. i only paid $229.49 for the whole ice package. it was NIB. thats new in box right? It was packaged from the factory when i got it. idk how i got this price but Ive been VERY happy with it and left well enough alone. thought it was a misprint at first, so i had to order it before someone caught it. Had a bad ducer when i got it, but they air mailed me one as soon as i called.

As for performance its freaking awesome. So happy i got this over a flasher. What have the flashers done "special" in the last 20 years? its still all the same thing. just for more money! Ive used my buddies fl-12 and another's VX-1pro and mine blows them away. Still havnt figured everything out yet as far as the GPS and such. I have had interference with fishing next to their machines. I couldnt figure out how to get the rejection to work.  Called humminbird on the ice and waited 30 min. on hold till i hung up.  Any help?

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2011, 11:24 AM »
O yea and the Float design sucks im gonna make some sort of hanger thingy.

Offline wesson4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:13 PM »
I also have the 385ci, ive had it out about a dozen or so times on 4 different lakes. It is my first hard water unit but not my first humminbird. maybe i just got a crappy finder but mine doesn't always read the same depth or structure in a hole as it might have a few days prior. it is always showing a rock hard bottom in lakes i know r otherwise mud. maybe someone can set me straight with some of the settings, but im going to take it out for one last horra tomorrow n if things don't get better cabelas will be getting mine back. sorry humminbird i still love ya!!!! :-\ :tipup:

Offline Ole Sam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Wesson4,
How'd you make out on your "one last horra"?
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:30 AM »
going over the specs. Betweeen the ice 55 and the 385ci and was wondering if they both use different dual beam transducer? My real question is are they interchangeable? I would rather have a 9 and 19 ducer that comes with the ice 55 than the 60 20 with the 385ci.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:50 AM »
Well if you fish shallow water like me it doesnt matter that much. but u may not evo

Offline jcgonsal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Sounds great eh--here are the negatives.  The resolution on the screen could be better (in my opinion it is still better than a flasher).  The base on which the unit sits is not the correct one--it should have a cord wrap for the transducer cord--I have e-mailed and called humminbird and have yet to get the issue resolved.  

Did you get anywhere with Customer Service about the base? I recently purchased the 345c and noticed the same thing, all their pics (website and box!) show the cord wrap. They told me i have the correct base (without it). Honestly, i'm kind of pissed that they have all these pics showing the cord wrap and then don't provide it.

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2011, 12:56 PM »
Can anyone help me with interference rejection on the 385ci? i was fishing with a buddy next to his marcum and couldnt even use my machine cause i couldnt find how to use the rejection. ive calld customer service and always get put on hold. its easier for me to just ask here i think. thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.