Author Topic: pickerel help  (Read 1575 times)

Offline brookiebandit13

• Team IceShanty Regular
pickerel help
« on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:12 PM »
i have decided to concentrate on mainly pickerel this year, and know nothing about targeting them. i've only caught one through the ice ( was 19.5 in) and would like to make my goal a 24incher by the end of the season. but more importantly i need to know what to use... i'm fishing a few ponds that i'm not familar with so all i know about them s that they are about 20 feet deep in deepest spot according to the contour maps on the states website. i need to know basic things like rods to use, line, jigs, bait, technique, etc.

The one pond i'm fishing does not permit tip-ups to avoid invasive species so i will doing alot of jigging, but ive heard stories about this pond being productive for pickeral. thanks in advance

:icefish:
Tight Lines!   >=)))))))))))))))'> <'((((((((((((((((=<

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: pickeral help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:16 PM »
I have never targeted this species much but what I have found over the years is targeting weed beds just like pike and other predators, and don't be afraid to fish shallow especially close to structure. 
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:20 PM »
i would say try to use buckshots with a minnow head.

Offline IceHawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icefishing is as close to heaven as i can get!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:22 PM »
one day last year i caught 7 pickeral with the biggest 26'' and caught them all in 3ft of water.i was targeting northern pike so i was set up for northerns.i would say use obviously tip ups with a 3-4'' pike shinner?

Offline brookiebandit13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:26 PM »
i know that some people in the open water use steel leaders for pickeral, but i cant imagine using one through the ice so im really looking to know how to prevent break-offs

Offline IceHawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icefishing is as close to heaven as i can get!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:29 PM »
i would deffinatlly use a leader of some sort?i use metal leaders and have no problems at all with break-off's but thats me

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:29 PM »
i know that some people in the open water use steel leaders for pickeral, but i cant imagine using one through the ice so im really looking to know how to prevent break-offs
use a heavy florocarbon leader or fire line,also fishing shallow near weeds with live bait (shiners) would prolly be your best bet

Offline brookiebandit13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:32 PM »
i didn't know if people used leaders in the ice or not,m but i was also wondering if a high test power pro would work because i know how difficult it is to cut the stuff...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:36 PM »
I'll help

PICKEREL
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline oiltycoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Definitley no leaders.Very light line with light terminal tackle.We use medium minnows with a tiny treble hook.I usually tie a small loop in my line and set on a very tiny stick beside my hole.Let the pickeral take the bait with no resistance, then set the hook after a few seconds.6- 8lb stren.Anything bigger will spook a pickeral.Works here in northern ontario.

Offline Skidda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Thats why they call it fishin, not catchin........
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:41 PM »
We grew up catching pickeral out of the pond that was out back of the house. We had the best luck jigging with salt pork, but shiners worked as well. Fins cut off other pickeral also worked on a jig pole. We didn't have true jigs per say so we made do.

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:54 PM »
Not difficult to catch em, just find structure, I would fish drop offs with weeds or shallow water early on.  I have caught em in four feet of water.  Real aggressive, I wish I could avoid the pickerel sometimes.  You could probably get em to hit something like buckshot mentioned above, if your fishing someplace you can fish live bait I would use tip ups.  Jigging the dead minnows works well with just a plain jig head.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: pickerel help
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:57 PM »
 :thumbsup:

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline brookiebandit13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:57 PM »
thanks guys you are all a big help even you rg ;D... but the one pond that prohibates tip-ups also prohibates live bait(minnows) spike and worms are ok (i should have mentioned this before) so what is my best approach on this?

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:06 PM »
jig around weeds with a swedish pimple. doesnt even need to be tipped. If they are there they will hit.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:16 PM »
thanks guys you are all a big help even you rg ;D... but the one pond that prohibates tip-ups also prohibates live bait(minnows) spike and worms are ok (i should have mentioned this before) so what is my best approach on this?

fish shallow and near weed beds. what type of bait fish is in thois pond? if sunfish, try catching a fw small ones and use them for bait. last year, i fished in 8 fow and had my bait 3 feet off the bottom. caught 2 pickerel that went over 28". worms will work. 

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Pickeral now were talking in the beginning of season smaller pickeral will be in shallow weed beds ive never used a leader fish 1-2 feet beneith ice. 2' minnow later in the season i fish 10-15 feet of water where weeds will still be alive suspend minnow about 2 feet over grass or weeds just my two cents

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2010, 08:54 PM »
what lake/pond do you you plan on fishing?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:00 PM »
just deadstick with a minnow on a hook, of use a jig like a large Genz bug in green tipped with a minnow.  I have caught several the second option

Offline jigmAn36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:09 PM »
try a puppet minnow or macho minnow jig

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:16 PM »
Well here is my $.02...Around here in my opinion anyway, depends on water condition. Clear water I use Jigs either white or chartreuse. Clear northern lakes jigging around any structure if possible.Like drop offs and shelves.Murky water usually in the Red River use heavy glow jigs. Lots of current,Fish moving around alot.They like the attractant of the glow or flash of a small spoon attached to the jig or whatever.If you cannot use minnows try flashy scented rubber(Gulp,etc).Try jigging slow,especially down. Good luck.

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline A2F

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Waiting for ice !
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:53 AM »

I wanted to post a pic of a pickerel through the ice but my ice photos are all packed away on disc , but here you can get a good idea of our local pickerels...

You will have to check your local regulations :
We are permitted 5 holes per person throught the ice, so a bunch of us get togeather and drill 20 or 30 holes in a large circle and a hole each for our rods..  We use live bait, rubber, jigs, gulp and anything from the fridge lol .. If a pickerel can smell it or see it move they will take it...As for leaders  totally optional most do not because usually the most you will lose is a hook.. Personally  I make some leaders out of my 50lb braided striper line.. Swivel on the top and a snap swivel on the bottom for qick changes... All tip ups are rigged with different bait , we try not to put the same bait within 2 or 3 holes.. This way we get an idea on where ir hjiding and what their hitting.. Lines are at different depths as well unless were targeting the weed beds..We usually just take turns walking the circle checking bait. Live minnows usually are best.. We take turns chasing the flags...
We also have tourneys as well , we have a local fishing site same idea as IS  that we use to set up outings and stuff.. www.newbrunswickfishin g.com incase anyone want to check us out..
Usually its $5 a person and largest pickerel get the pot !
My Dad and grandpa taught me to fish as a child  and now I teach my kids to fish ! Take a kid fishing , its the circle of life !

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:24 AM »
I would use a steel leader . I tried a few years back with out one, just used  heavy braid lost alot fish and hooks . I use steel leaders and have no problem . Live minnows work best if you can use them .
hook and cook

Offline Trout75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Why the change to pickerel? Just wondering :icefish:

Offline danceswmuskys

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat more sea kittens. It's what's for supper.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:43 AM »
al toothy criters even pickerel can cut heavy braid.i would go light steel or heavy floro.leader

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:50 AM »
go with heavy floro, and take your time landing it. on the pond where you can't use tip-ups/minnows, a large silver swedish pimple or other spoon, and a gulp minnow or minnow head.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline A2F

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Waiting for ice !
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:17 AM »
I spent more money on bent leaders then I ever did on hooks LOL
My Dad and grandpa taught me to fish as a child  and now I teach my kids to fish ! Take a kid fishing , its the circle of life !

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Here in MASS pickerel is the species that keeps my son happy!  Tons of flags and they put up a good fight.  Never had a problem getting them almost anywhere on a lake.  They are a sight oriented fish as far as I know and will hit anything moving!  I had one take my sounder when I drilled my first hole of the day a few years back.  Dropped it in and line kept going in the hole......I thought.....darn this lake can't be that deep!  Started pullin in my sounder and it pulled back!  FISH ON!!!!!!!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:07 PM »
I would agree and fish shallower waters, and weeds if you can. i have caught a LOT of pickerel over the years and they are more of a nuisance fish to me. But when everything else slows down, a string of tipups in a shallow bay, i use emerald shiners and just wait.

Offline LilWeezy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SHUT UP AND FISH
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:12 PM »
a good day of pickeral fishing keeps you warm flaaaaag :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.