Author Topic: pickerel help  (Read 1576 times)

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: pickerel help
« Reply #30 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:41 PM »

I wanted to post a pic of a pickerel through the ice but my ice photos are all packed away on disc , but here you can get a good idea of our local pickerels...

Hey A2F. I just had a look at the picture. Not trying to be a smarta** but around here we call that a 'Jack' or Northern Pike. We call Walleye 'Pickerel'. Is that what you guys call 'Pickerel'?

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:48 PM »
I wanted to post a pic of a pickerel through the ice but my ice photos are all packed away on disc , but here you can get a good idea of our local pickerels...

Hey A2F. I just had a look at the picture. Not trying to be a smarta** but around here we call that a 'Jack' or Northern Pike. We call Walleye 'Pickerel'. Is that what you guys call 'Pickerel'?

In New England there are two main species of the Esox Genus we talk about.  Esox Niger is the Chain Pickerel.  Esox Lucius is the Northern Pike.  they are similar as they are form the same esox genus but the northern pike is much larger and brown or bronze in color.  The Pickerel is smaller and has a chain pattern and green in color. From the picture above he has caught a chain pickerel.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline eyedrinkrye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:58 PM »
As you can see I am getting used to the site and did not use the quote function properly. The first line of my previous post was a statement made by A2F a few posts earlier.

Anyway thanks for the explanation. Nice to learn that Pickerel are called something else in a different part of the Country/Continent.I guess my post earlier here does not apply. I thought we were talking about our Pickerel or 'Walleye'.

RIDGE RUNNERS RULE!!!

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 16, 2010, 03:13 PM »
A2F is right they are hard on leaders but I can get a day most times out of one leader
hook and cook

Offline A2F

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Waiting for ice !
« Reply #34 on: Dec 16, 2010, 03:44 PM »
In New England there are two main species of the Esox Genus we talk about.  Esox Niger is the Chain Pickerel.  Esox Lucius is the Northern Pike.  they are similar as they are form the same esox genus but the northern pike is much larger and brown or bronze in color.  The Pickerel is smaller and has a chain pattern and green in color. From the picture above he has caught a chain pickerel.
JimL is correct in my neck of the woods we have chain pickerel. Soon the Muskie will be in my area,Actually already They have made there way from Ontario down here to Saint John NB , And are bieng caught as close as oromocto  now ! So they are in the Saint John river system now ,and reports of 30 -40lbers are being caught...
My Dad and grandpa taught me to fish as a child  and now I teach my kids to fish ! Take a kid fishing , its the circle of life !

Offline A2F

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Waiting for ice !
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2010, 03:53 PM »
The pickerel are allot of fun especially open water  in the spring and late fall ! I love throwing top water weedless treats to them .. You can watch them charge across the top of the water from 5 to 10 feet away to nab whatever landed in its territory !! Allot of fun ! Pink Lizzards , green frogs , white flukes, Mister twisters are candy to them !! They are very agressive and put up a grea fight especially if your like me and enjoy using ultralite gear ...
My Dad and grandpa taught me to fish as a child  and now I teach my kids to fish ! Take a kid fishing , its the circle of life !

Offline cnyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 16, 2010, 05:19 PM »
im not sure where you are in New York but there is a small lake that i ice fish and tip ups are permited and ive caught them at thrity inches there and the average size is 20-25''. All i use for a leader is 10lb line i bought at wal-mart then a red octopus hook and a meadium shiner. When i set my ti ups out for the day i put one a foot up from the bottom, one in the middle and one about a foot below the ice and i see wich one is producing more than i change them all to mach the one. But if i couldnt use tip ups i would dead stick with a med shiner as said above.If you tell me what part of NY your from ill tell you the lake i fish. good luck with them and have fun  :)
"catch em all let god sort em out"

Offline CT-iceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 16, 2010, 07:16 PM »

here are a couple of pickerel I've caught through the ice. The second one was easily 4-5lbs, and was the biggest Ive ever caught.

Both were caught on 8lb fluorocarbon, on small single hooks with medium minnows.

The first fish was caught in 6FOW with the minnow suspended 1 foot over the weeds and the second fish was caught in 12FOW over a sunken tree (yes I did put it there ;D )

Certain ponds fish differently, depending on available structure. Ive found that weedy lakes usually have more fish, however they tend to be smaller with larger fish mixed in. Lakes with less weeds tend to have less fish, but the fish are MUCH larger.
-Christian Genarelli

Offline brookiebandit13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Why the change to pickerel? Just wondering
just looking to catch something with a little fight, and where i live there arent that many places to fish oike or musky, so pickerel it is, but im not giving up on my gill spots either... thanks for all the help guys can't wait to try all this stuff out about another week before i hit the ice though,,, if there is any by then/ ;D
Tight Lines!   >=)))))))))))))))'> <'((((((((((((((((=<

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.