Author Topic: My First Permantent Shack 4'x7'  (Read 19535 times)

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
My First Permantent Shack 4'x7'
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:09 PM »
5/8" green treated plywood, 2x8 runnners with 2x4's ripped down to 2x3" for cross members. (everything green treated)

Walls are 1.5"x2.5" ripped from 2x6"s, the shack is 6'3" tall on the inside

I got two brand new 12"x30" windows for free from a friend and I will be making 2 more plexiglass windows that are 12"x8"            (Sorry picture wont up load)

I also got a free older shack that had tin on it so I took it off the tin and put it on the one I am making now. here are a couple pic's with the tin on the new shack. the old shack that had the tin on it was crap and weigh a ton because it was steel.

I used 1" Pink 4x8' sheets of insulation $10 bucks a pop. used 4. Next I ripped 3/8" plywood half inch wide to hold the insulation in, the half inch strips go all the way around in each opening to make it look nice. I wont be putting any paneling on the inside.

I doubled up on thickness for the insulation on the door because I had extra left over ;) (sorry picture wont upload)

I figured I could get 3 holes in the shack along with the wood burner. It will be a 2 man jigging shack. 4'x7' is the perfect size for 2 guys sitting on pails jigging.

I ripped 2x6s for the ceiling 1" on one end and 5.5" on the other. I don't have the roof on yet. but it will be on of steel paneling. not a ton of weight but more than a rubber roof. the steel roof will out last a rubber roof though.

I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist for a small wood burner, and ended up with this for free!!!! ;D ;D ;D some guy just had it laying around and gave it to me. it's only 7" wide 14" tall and 12" deep, but thats all I need for a 4x7' shack. it's around 10 lbs with thin steel walls. it's around $125 new

I made some hole covers out of scrap insulation and 1'x1' 5/8 plywood

should I put steel or plastic on the bottom of the runners? ??? :-\

More to come........

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My First Permantent Shack 4'x7'
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:21 PM »
let me know if I should add anything

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:22 AM »
Looks good Walleye64 just a few ideas though I have never built a permanent shanty. Install some type of heat shield on the wall(s) by the stove also get a battery powered carbon monoxide detector. You may want to insulate the roof to cut down on heat loss and possibly a fan to circulate the heated air. No sense in heating the ceiling. I see you have cross members running the width of the shanty maybe  run one or two down the length to stiffen up the floor.
 You know how we all love photos so please keep us update as your build progresses.
 Steve

Offline bababooey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:08 PM »
you might want to sheet the bottom of the sled also, even if it was just with a thin piece of dairy board.. I would think that the cross members would catch slow and cause more drag than you might want.  It will also drag the snow with it, therefore filling up the underside of the shack.  It might not be an issue, just a thought

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 06:15 PM »
Nice shanty looks roomy!

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 07:03 PM »
yup I'll have a heat shield for the wood burner and the roof will be insulated too.

the weight of the shack is around 400 lbs

I could of went with lighter materials like 2x2" walls but I have no sheathing like OSB or plywood to make it stable enough. the floor plywood was $29.00 for 1/2" or $32 for 5/8" so I got the 5/8" because it was only $3 more. If I was going to build a 8'x8' shack I would of got the 1/2" though. every stud and piece of plywood was pre-drilled and screwed with triple coated 3" deck screws.

tonight I will make a small table for the wood burner and mount a door spring on the door so it will shut when I run and get a tip-up.

I'll post a picture before the weekend of the stuff I'm making.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 07:12 PM »
great job!!....and cheap!!!....as far as steel on the runners, not a good idea...will melt into the ice, .....i use downhill ski's i get from my local dump, and attach them to the bottom of the runners (recess the screws).with no snow on the lake last season , i could push  my 4x8 (with a 16" bump-out) with a fart.... ;D...with snow on the ice, it was effortless to pull with a "picked-out" sled
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I built the table for the wood burner, insulated the roof, and spray foamed the roof.

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2010, 06:52 PM »

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2010, 06:57 PM »

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2010, 07:21 PM »
Where's the spear hole? ;D

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Very nice looking shack!

Line the skis with UHMW plastic so it will pull easier.  Hope it isn't too heavy.

That wood stove will drive you out of there!  You could get by with
just a Mr Buddy.

Make sure it's vented good so you don't die.

Please post pictures of it this season in action.

MD

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2010, 07:56 PM »
When I see 4'x8' sheets of wood panelling on sale I think I will panell the inside. All I need is 4 sheets to cover the whole inside, maybe 5.

This fall I will be building a portable shack, I'll post that project on here too.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2010, 04:17 AM »
The shanty looks good Walleye be sure to post some pictures of it in use this upcoming season.
  Steve

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2010, 05:01 PM »
I am going to make the same size shack this fall. Thanks for all the details and photos! Let the shack building begin.

Offline Big Fortin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jul 23, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Nice shack  :thumbsup:

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2010, 04:50 PM »
great job!!....and cheap!!!....as far as steel on the runners, not a good idea...will melt into the ice, .....i use downhill ski's i get from my local dump, and attach them to the bottom of the runners (recess the screws).with no snow on the lake last season , i could push  my 4x8 (with a 16" bump-out) with a fart.... ;D...with snow on the ice, it was effortless to pull with a "picked-out" sled

Any pics of your ski set up on your 4X8?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2010, 05:05 PM »
sure do dave........i use 2 sets, put them back to back...
this picture was taken when my bob-house blew down the lake in 50- plus m.p.h winds ..
even when it was tied down on each corner.....
luckily it gives you a good view of the skis....lol

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2010, 06:27 PM »
sure do dave........i use 2 sets, put them back to back...
this picture was taken when my bob-house blew down the lake in 50- plus m.p.h winds ..
even when it was tied down on each corner.....
luckily it gives you a good view of the skis....lol
(Image removed from quote.)

Awesome!  That is exactly what I needed.

Thanks,

Dave

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 02, 2010, 05:59 PM »
For your runners, consider going to the hardware store and buying some aluminum roll flashing. It's in the roofing section. Put it on the bottom of your runners (fold it up the sides and nail it)
My last shack was pretty heavy (couldn't lift one side of it) but i could push it by hand.

OH and before you do anything else, angle the other end of your runners. You may think you only need the front to be angled, but I guarantee that you will have to push it backwards.

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2010, 10:15 PM »
For your runners, consider going to the hardware store and buying some aluminum roll flashing. It's in the roofing section. Put it on the bottom of your runners (fold it up the sides and nail it)
My last shack was pretty heavy (couldn't lift one side of it) but i could push it by hand.

OH and before you do anything else, angle the other end of your runners. You may think you only need the front to be angled, but I guarantee that you will have to push it backwards.

Thanks for the runner advice! That I know I can find also. I've been unable to find a couple sets of skis.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #21 on: Aug 04, 2010, 08:09 AM »
I enjoy cruising the summer yard sales for buys. Last summer I hit one with all kinds of skis for sale- Talked up the guy(nice guy) and he agreed to give then all to me if they didn`t sell. I bought a Coleman suitcase stove and a few other items for fishing from him and left. He called me the next day and told me to come grab the skis. Yard sales are great for ice-gear and DIY ice guys!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 04, 2010, 01:27 PM »
nice job on the shanty

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 04, 2010, 02:08 PM »

Becareful towing it across anything other than snow/ice. I saw a guy that did this and ripped all the flashing off before he even got out of the parking lot.

It does work great if you can launch on the ice!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 22, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Very nice looking shack!  It's a great feeling when you finally get it to the lake for the first time.  Drilling those inaugural holes and dropping the line, worth every bit of work you did!

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 21, 2010, 10:28 AM »
I agree about the flashing, it won't last long enough to be worth the work,  If you can even find a plastic 30 or 55 gal barrel, cut it with a skilsaw slightly spiralled you can get enough length for the runners without splicing. A friend here even used water skis on a portable, they would have worked great, except he didn't build them up.
    Another observation from experience, the closer the stove is to the floor, the more comfortable you'll be; without a fan, all the heat is above the middle of the stove- cold feet and knees.
   Too bad shipping is not cost effective; up here in Ski Country, we can pick up all kinds of free skis. Know anyone who skis or lives near a ski slope? Mn. or Wisc.?
   Or if you want the best thing going, try these folks, or search "UMHW Polyethylene "
                 http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23217&clickid=redirect

Thicker is better, to a point (3/8 - 1/2") I'd predrill and use LONG SS screws, just barely countersunk so they won't catch or directly freeze in                   TIGHT LINES!!    :tipup: :icefish:
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 10, 2010, 05:36 PM »
This weekend I paneled the inside of the shack. its really starting to look good. I'll post some pictures mid next week. All I have left is build a bench seat and hook up the wood burner.

Has anybody ever use charcoal as a heat source instead of wood inside of there wood burner.

how long will charcoal burn?

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 11, 2010, 07:56 AM »
I know that having a wood burner in a perm shanty is the cool thing to do... but I would strongly consider just using a buddy heater or big buddy heater instead. your shack is relatively small and there is no good way to control a wood stove in that small of an area. Once the wood is in there and burning.... it will put out so many BTUs per log. Also, when you're getting ready to leave at the end of the day... how long do you want to plan ahead for not putting any more wood in the stove so the fire is out before you leave? I don't know how many times I've looked at my watch and realized that I should have already left the lake........ Just my thoughts....

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 11, 2010, 04:11 PM »
I know that having a wood burner in a perm shanty is the cool thing to do... but I would strongly consider just using a buddy heater or big buddy heater instead. your shack is relatively small and there is no good way to control a wood stove in that small of an area. Once the wood is in there and burning.... it will put out so many BTUs per log. Also, when you're getting ready to leave at the end of the day... how long do you want to plan ahead for not putting any more wood in the stove so the fire is out before you leave? I don't know how many times I've looked at my watch and realized that I should have already left the lake........ Just my thoughts....

i agree.... my shanty is only a 4x8...by 8' high, and i use the small buddy heater on a 20lb. tank......i have to turn it off if the temps are in the 20's outside
if i had a wood stove there would be no way to shut it off...

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2010, 07:01 PM »
I have a 5x10 perm. With a sunflower heater and I can't turn it down cool enough to not roast me!!! If you put some sort of vent in the high corners that might help? Not trying to be a know-it-all, just my 2 cents.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.